Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional licences!!

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

would people agree that if you are on your 4th, 5th, 6th etc provisonal licence then something is obviously wrong with your driving, there has to be!!!, in my view our road legalites should demand that any provisional licence driver should be accompanied by full licence drivers, what do people think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go read the recent thread on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing wrong with it in some situations.

An ex-girlfriend was on her fourth licence in final year of college.
    Like most 17 year olds, people need ID so she applied then. And then kept renewing every two years as a college student needs ID and you can't realy take your passport on a night out.
    So in the final year of college, she was only beginning to drive and started taking lessons but on her fourth licence.
    She never drove on her 1st, 2nd and 3rd licence as why learn to drive when you can't afford a car when you're in college.
    It's not an uncommon situation and I'd say there are thousands like this.

But in your opinion OP, anyone from 4th licence on is a failure at driving. I contest that many people are only beginning to drive then.

Now if you said, someone in their 30's who had 10 years driving experience and was not bothering to pass the test and it made no real difference to their insurance and they had loads of bad habits and not a hope of passing the test, then I'd agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kolo2007 wrote:
    in my view our road legalites should demand that any provisional licence driver should be accompanied by full licence drivers
    What inspiration! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

apologies if something like this was posted before, im new to this site

yes that was what i was implying people who have been driving for years and still have not got their full licences and are currently on their 5th or 6th provisional licence, i think someone in authority needs to take a long hard look at this and come up with a solution as in my view it just aint acceptable

kolo2007 wrote:
    apologies if something like this was posted before, im new to this site
    Under our current regulations, a provisional licensed driver must be accompanied by a person with a full license in the relevant category unless:

1. It is in category A,A1,M or W.
    2. It is the second provisional license in category B.
    3. In respect of category B, the driver has held the provisional license prior to the 12th of August 1985.

In all other circumstances, a provisionally licensed driver must be accompanied by a person with a full license in the relevant category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

whats the point of the above comment, im fully aware of what the law says, i think its wrong in my view, i feel every provisional licence driver should be accompanied by a fully licenced driver at all times and no matter the provisional licence be it their 1st or 6th, maybe if this was the case it would give many people a good kick up the backside into getting their full licence

kolo2007 wrote:
    i feel every provisional licence driver should be accompanied by a fully licenced driver at all times
    In certain categories of vehicles, it is illegal to carry a passenger while driving on a provisional license.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

micmclo wrote:
    Nothing wrong with it in some situations.

Well, yes, there's something wrong with it, but its not necessarily the (in)ability of the person in question to drive / learn to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

sorry for asking...
    i just got my provisional licence last week, do i need to wait for 2 years before I take the actual driving test? or how soon can i book or take the driving test?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Rhodney wrote:
    sorry for asking...
    i just got my provisional licence last week, do i need to wait for 2 years before I take the actual driving test? or how soon can i book or take the driving test?
    thanks.

You can apply as soon as you like, the waiting time depends on where you apply, check out www.drivingtest.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement