Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what you all think of the 3 USB dataModem (€19.99 a month)

Options
  • 11-10-2007 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

De da da da, De da da da....
    Yes it's the 3DataModem. Just wondering what you all think of it. Here's my view for what it's worth.

First of all, I have tried to get every sort of broadband into the house, and failed ALL tests, cabled / wifi / line-of-sight etc etc all failed, so as a last gasp I tried (assuming that it would fail too) the 3DataModem.

Install
    Install is easy, the software is installed on the usb device. So you just click on the drive letter and it auto-installs. BUT, it does take a while to settle down. I had one for a week and had to reinstall a couple of times. Easy for me cos I work in IT, not sure how this would work for technophobes. After an initial period of instability, the thing settles down and worked fine.

General Usage
    Considering that I can get one bar at best where I live, it actually works quite well. I'm not gonna say that it's the fastest broadband that I have ever used, but it works in places that no other broadband can get too. My cousin is in exactly the same position (no cabled broadband, no wifi etc etc) and it works great from where she is too.

Conclusion
    Basically, I wouldnt reasonably be able to get broadband without this thing. It does drop now and again (in which case you re-connect), it's not as fast or as stable as cabled broadband, and it does get worse with the weather, and you may have teething problems with getting the modem to work all of the time, but it is much better and cheaper than dialup.

As I said already I can only get one bar maximum, and still it is usable. It's also cheap and with 10Gbs for €19.99 a month, it has more than enough download allowance. And you have 7 days to return it if you find that it is of no use to you.

Great little product in my opinion. Just fanticising about how good it would be if I could get 5 bars (like I did in John's street Kilkenny the other day).
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement