Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace Modification

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks,

Need advice please.

Moved into a new house with standard chimney and breast etc. Current chimney ope is 430mm wide and about 900mm high.

Thinking about installing a wood burning stove and i might have to widen the fireplace to accomodate. The lyntel (i think that's what is called) may have to be moved higher too.

Is this a big/dangerous job. Is it practical. I would like to accomodate a 650mm Wide/900mm High Jotul Stove.

Any advice much appreciated.

TB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,146 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm not sure that you can just put a wood burning stove in an ordinary fireplace. I think you might have install a new flue in the chimney, but i'd like to hear other views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 zee_hb

Reyman wrote:
    I'm not sure that you can just put a wood burning stove in an ordinary fireplace. I think you might have install a new flue in the chimney, but i'd like to hear other views?

Some friends got a wood burning stove put into their ordinary fireplace recently and it was very straight-forward. I think a modification had to be made to the chimney flue and it was done by the guy fitting it as part of the installation process. Sorry I can't be more help. Best thing to do is talk to whoever you're considering buying the stove from and they'll know the score.

zee

http://www.homebug.net
    homes, interiors, art, design - ireland & elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Normally with a stove ,theres a small piece of flue about 6-9 feet long.
    You should look into getting a shroud around it ,were it enters the stack.

You really should consult a professional as zee_hb says, or at least have a chat with your supplier.

Advertisement