Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New 5.1 set

• 14-06-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

I've had these for about 7 years now and its about time I looked for an upgrade. They will be used for my PC, 360, DVD and TV. I've a budget of about €300 but can stretch abit if its worth it. My first thought was to get another PC set and these fit the bill but I feel I might get a better set if I move over to the HE market.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I've heard an earlier version of the Logitech set you've linked to and thought that the sub was a bit overpowering, and midrange a bit lacking - this was some time ago and the newer models could well be better balanced.

With a budget of €300 you could look at something like this set from Sony - http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541204/art/sony/ht-ddw790-home-cinema-5-1.html

or this from Yamaha

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/542071/art/yamaha/av-3101-home-cinema-5-1-s.html

Which should give you a more balanced sound and would offer you the chance to upgrade the speakers at a later stage if you wanted - you'd also have the chance to route a PC, DVD, games consoles through either of these amps - I suspect (but haven't checked fully) that connectivity is probably more limited with the Logitechs and your upgrade path is quite limited.

I've linked to Pixmania for convenience sake and to show something that's within your budget - I haven't dealt with them and have seen mixed reports about their customer service, so satisfy yourself before buying online.

Ritz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If you wanted to push the budget a little more, €350 would get you this :

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/541205/art/sony/ht-ddw890-home-cinema-6-1.html#fichetechnique

- this one is 6.1, the amp has auto setup and HDMI switching, it looks like the Sony STRD 710 (although it doesn't say so specifically), and the sub is a powered 180W.

For the difference in the money this would give you a far more balanced and adaptable setup than the Logitechs, well worth it.

It would do no harm to do a little googling to locate a similar setup from some other online outlets for price/service comparison.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thanks Ritz, they look like just the job I was thinking of. Looks like I've alot more reading to do tomorrow.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind paying the extra but I've no interest in attaching another speaker to my bedroom wall.

From reading the avforums the HT-DW890 seems to be the one to go for, but no where stocks outside of pixmania and from reading about them the order either goes perfect or is a complete disaster. I'll have to keep looking and see if I can find a decent retailer that stocks it.

Might aswel tripple post in here since no one else has posted :p

I've narrowed it down to two choices. The Denon DHT1356XP and the Sony HT-DDW890.

We have a Denon DHT-500SD downstairs and its been running perfect for the last two years, still has great sound and picture quality. So thats definite + points for the Denon.

But the Sony supports more formats and IMO looks better but I'm a little weary of Sony build quality in recent years and I've never heard a Sony HE set in person.

Anyone got anything at all to add to this, its doing my head in trying to chose >_<

• Advertisement

Denon have as great name - their flagship range is the stuff of legend in HT - and the fact that you're happy with other products from them is good reassurance for you.

I've had Sony near-entry level kit and couldn't complain about it in performance/price terms or in durability and their 1200es model is on my short list for an upgrade in the near future.

It's worth pointing out that the Denon lacks some of the connectivity of the Sony - HDMI is important now and will become more so asa time passes, and the Denon Sub is considerably lower in quoted power terms than the Sony - although I'm well aware of the marketing massaging that can be done to the numbers.

I doubt that you'd be disappointed with either choice - personally I'd go for the Sony on account of the HDMI switching and because I've been happy with them in the past, if you choose the Denon I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with it, they have a classy sound.

Ritz.

The HDMI was a big plus for me at first but it can't take audio from the HDMI and only supports up to 1080i according to the manual. Which isn't a problem now but if I am thinking about futre proofing its likely to be a limit in the futre although the component switcher will come in useful. Like you said, the feeling I get when researching these is that the differences between these is going to be minimal and my perception of them depends more on how vocal the owners are rather than how different they are from each other.

Will either of these be upgradable in the future with larger speakers or would that be a new amp again?

Either way I won't be ordering till Sunday night, so I have a bit more reading to do. Thanks again Ritz.

EDIT: **** it, just ordered the Sony. Could stand thinking about it all weekend, I'd get nothing done. Now just have to pray Pixmania don't screw up.

Lol, hope it turns out ok - be sure to let us know, I'd be interested in hearing you opinion of it once you've got it set up.

To answer your last question, yes you could upgrade the speakers later on and get improved quality in the sound without upgradng the amp - I've done this to good effect in the past.

BTW, how much was it in total inc. delivery ?

Ritz.

€380 with DHL 2 day delivery

Its passed the verification phase in the order status so thats a good sign, alot of the problems stem from there when they don't believe you are who you say you are. Fingers crossed for Tuesday delivery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I bought the Sony 890 from Pixmania about a month ago, process went very smoothly, no problem with delivery.

It's a fine system, plenty of connectivity, good quality sound and build quality, hope you are happy with it, I am :D

• Advertisement

Just got it but only have the L & R setup so far and I'm alredy very impressed. Sound is crystal clear, has great seperation and you hear so many new things in songs I know inside out :D. Pixmania shipped a day late, but it was delivered overnight and everything else went smoothly.

Now some pics, temporary setup before anyone says anything ;)
    dsc00410fz4.th.jpg dsc00407ir4.th.jpg dsc00408ro9.th.jpg dsc00409zt5.th.jpg

That was pretty quick turnaround - looks grand, are you still happy with the sound ? Could you have a look at the Receiver and tell us the model number on the front ?

Ritz.

Its a STR-K890

Still loving the sound, I have the rears set up correctly now and they give a great sense of being surrounded. Much better than any other set I've heard. The sub is unbelivable, its so powerful wihout over powering evering everything else.

Couldn't fault it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Sounds great, think I might order me on of these babys!

Incidentally, from a home cinema newbie, presumably you hang these speakers on the corners up high? Do the brackets come with the order or did you buy them seperately?

thanks.

I have mine setup at ear height all the way around the room which is the ideal setup but they will work perfectly up high. The 3 rear speakers have brackets on them for mounting them flat on the wall but you will need to buy brackets if you want to wall mount the fronts. I bought two brackets to mount the rear speakers facing towards me, €30 in B&Q which I wasn't too happy about but couldn't find suitables ones anywhere else.

dsc00413vd2.th.jpg dsc00414kf7.th.jpg

If you want any more info or pics just ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I come here looking on boards.ie (and AV-forums) for Amps/speakers and good suggestions as it's been to long from my last A/V update, only to find you had the same speakers/amp setup as me,(DTT3500) you got them about same time as me (about 7 years ago) you wanted to upgrade...(well OK you beat me too it by two weeks) and now I find our short list is also the same about what to go for...
    I was all for the Sony but the Denon is really, (I mean really) nice but the Sony does support HDMI... I wish I knew someone here with the Denon to get a mini review.

IMO the Sony speakers look a little dated but as long as they sound better then the Cambridge ones I'll be happy :)

Sony only supports HDMI switching. Its can't take the audio signal from HDMI :-(

DTT3500 ftw!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

after much thinking I went for the

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/542071...ema-5-1-s.html
    The Yamaha one that "the ritz" mentioned

but I was impatient and bought it in Petes for €399, for me it was between the sony equivelant, I wanted the HDMI connection but was talked around to the yamaha by the sales guy, i bought an optical cable for the ps3.
    The sound is excellent but considering I had a LIDL surround sound ...and one of the cheap LIDL ones it had to improve :o .

That link is not working for me...

I'm still undecided on what to get... Can't say I love the Sony brand but it's ahead until I find something better. (for similar price)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sorry for thread hijacking lads but Im buying a surround sound kit soon too. Im wondering do these kits you've mentioned above come with floor legs or brackets to mount the speakers at the corner of the ceiling and wall or do I need to buy separate mounting kits for that?

• Advertisement

It's going to be separate mounting kits I think (For the ones listed in this thread anyway) __________________

The set I got has brackets on the rears of mounting them flat against the wall but doesn't come with floor stands and neither do the denon. I doubt you will get many sets with floor stands unless they are integrated into the speakers.

...And just to be like you once more I've gone for the Sony HT-DDw890 too :D

Well over all it's the best for the money from what I've read. Hope Pixmania dont mess up and I'll have it in a few days time.
    (off sick this week so home to play with new toy :) )

See you in 7 years time? God I hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been sitting on the fence about the W890 for a while now, had been on the verge of buying it's predecessor a few times but it was withdrawn from stock before I managed to do so.
    It's finally come time to switch set-ups (new panny plasma coming soon) and the responses, pics and general positivity about the sony has swung it for me. Good price too...very few other receivers have HDMI switching....just a shame it's only pass-through audio.
    BTW anyone know if this amp can be gotten in black (as part of the overall package)?

Just to say I got the 890 amp and boy I'm happy :) Music, DVDs, Xbox 360 all sound so much better now and I'm hearing so much new stuff in audio it's mad and kinda makes you want to dig out some long lost stuff just to hear it on this amp... Well I do anyway.

Anyhoo thats all I wanted to say. Rock on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What would you think is the best 5.1 option?? 6.1 wont suit my living room.. its too small! (So's my budget :D )

Advertisement