Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blaser Owners

Options
  • 14-06-2007 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Any blaser LRS2 shooters out there who can share info on subsequent barrel Licencing and accuracy issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I have an LRS2 which I bought a few years ago. I started with a 6.5 barrel and this has proven very accurate. Average expected groups at 600y in the region of 3-5 inches with factory ammo, on bipod prone and stable conditions. Sub-1 inch groups are easily possible at 200yds and the rifle is also very accurate at 300.

I also have a T8 moderator for this barrel and it works very well and does not really affect accuracy although naturally it does change the poi.

I also have a 6mm BR barrel and this is also very accurate. When I bought it I had expected great results at 600y but this has not been the case,for me at least. Changing barrels over on the same day, at 600y, in medium wind conditions, I could not achieve better than 7 inch groups with the 6mm even though the 6.5 groups were 4 inches (all with factory).

At 100-300 the 6mm has a far better showing, especially with the Norma ammo which was made specially for this calibre. It has the edge on the 6.5 at these ranges (except at 300 when it is really very windy). As I mostly shoot 200-300 I interchange the barrels a lot. Basically the 6mm is an excellent calibre but not the wonderous toy one would expect, at least not for me and in the blaser barrels. I suspect a longer 6mm barrel would achieve better results. I never shoot benchrest so all the results would be prone with bipod. I expect it would obviously do far better from a bench and rest if that is your thing.

The annoying thing is the extra licence fee every year. My second barrel is on a seperate cert. I'm thinking of getting rid of it purely for that reason.

Overall the LRS2 is a fantastic rifle. I had an SSG in .243 before which was also good but the Blaser is still one of the vey best out there unless you want to spend insane money instead of just crazy money.

Changing the barrel and scope over takes less than 1 minute when you get used to it and the scope stays zeroed etc. I use a Nightforce NSX 12-42x56 which does justice to the rifle. Basically I will never outshoot this rifle so I'm very happy with it. I've no doubt a better shot would achieve far better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Hello freddieot, Its good to be able to exchange news and info with someone who has same rifle, I too mostly shoot prone with bypod with my 243 and 308 LRS2, I use a sako brake to limit muzzel flip, have found the T8 very good also but tends to heat up rather quickly with the 243, Accuracy whith both barrels is exellent, I am waiting to sort out paperwork on my 3rd barrel a 243 with a 1 in8 twist to shoot the 105 lapuas and possibly the 115 Dtacs if the barrel will stablise them, all the best.

Ranger4,

Sadly 308 was not PC when I was getting my second barrel or I would have given it serious consideration. Luckily things have changed in the last few years. We often forget just how much.

I did not realise that Blaser did a 243 barrel. It would be a good option. I've always found Federal BTHP 85grain to be an excellent round at least out to 200.

The T8 does heat up and after about 6-8 rounds the mirage problem is a bit of a nuisance but then again it helps keep my speed (and costs) under control. I have a mirage band but I never put it on. I have enough sh*t to take to the range these days.

The one fault I have always had with the LRS2 is the magazines. The 6.5 ones will not feed the Lapua 139 as the heads are about 2mm too long and get caught on the end of the barrel as they come out of the mag. Some work with a soldering iron has been known to fix this.

The 6mm mag lips are angled a bit steeply and if you hesitate when chambering they can snarl the round at the receiver. I always either cycle as fast as possible or hand feed.

There are no problems with the 308 mags but I think if you ask Blaser for anything out of the main, lke 6.5, they don't do enough homework on the types of rounds people are using for target work.

Overall it has been a fantastic rifle and I will not be parting with it for a while yet. There are quite a few around. Keep your eye out for me at the range. As far as I know I have the only 6mm BR one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Have found the 90 grain Lapua scenars exellent in my 243 barrel also the berger 95 grain VLDs are outstanding clover leaf size groups at 200y if i do my bit, have you tried various bullet seating lengths that help aide accuracy, I will look out for you at range is it the midland shooting centre in blueball.

yep it's Midlands.

I only shoot factory, one of the reasons that I mostly shoot 200-300 these days. As guys got more into reloading it became impossible to compete at long range. At the lower ranges, with a steady hand, the difference is not quite as great especially if you use the best factory such as Lapua 139 which really is the finest round straight out of the box.

My friend who also has a Blaser in 6.5 and loads his own was for example constantly getting far better groups than me at 600. Although I would consider him a better shot than me, we would be close enough on skill to get similar groups with factory ammo but with handloads he was cutting inches off his groups.

I am going to start reloading soon but primarily because my pistols eat ammo and it's the only way to go.

I'll keep a watch out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement