Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacky Healy Rae's wit.

Options
  • 14-06-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭

Anyone else see the exchange between John O'Donoghoe and JHR today in the Dáil? Pure comedy gold.

This man is often painted as a fool by people on here and in the wider media but his sharp wit was was on display today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bigkev49 wrote:
    This man is often painted as a fool
    Only a fool would think that JHR is a fool! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard that, unexpected talent! Maybe he had a script from Bob Newhart, okay Pat Short then....

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bigkev49 wrote:
    Anyone else see the exchange between John O'Donoghoe and JHR today in the Dáil? Pure comedy gold.

This man is often painted as a fool by people on here and in the wider media but his sharp wit was was on display today.

Yes, and he came out with it all of the top of his own head. :rolleyes: It was sad, and showed the huge problems with national/parochial politics in this country.

I actually thought he was gonna keel over at one stage. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yup, says a lot about how the country is "run" when one of the highlights is one TD having a dig at another.......

How about actually dumping the cheap point-scoring and actually making some decisions, setting targets and achieving them by specific delivery dates and on budget ?

Naw, it's much more entertaining and beneficial to slag off the opposition. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I don't think I ever saw JHRs hair before. Now that's a comedy classic :D

I'd say he has a load of gay jokes that he and the chip off the block, Jackie Junior aka Michael Healy Rae, bounce over and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I thought JHR looked like the stupid village idiot he is. The place resembled an irish Uni debating society of smuggness with JHR the comic and all the other students laughing at him and his rivalry to JOD (the Auditor of the Lit & Deb for the next 4 years.) oh ho ho ho JoD. And to make matters worse I wasnt even able to get a late one in Comans when the latter fool was the justice minister and drinking beside me???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

well done jacky!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

BendiBus wrote:
    I don't think I ever saw JHRs hair before. Now that's a comedy classic :D

Hair? I thought it was some kind of animal!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Beelzebub wrote:
    Hair? I thought it was some kind of animal!:eek:
    Why did man send astronauts to the moon when there is so much to explore, indeed so much that is unknown about JHR's hairdo. It looks like it has been protected since birth under a unatmospheric flatcap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Only a fool would think that JHR is a fool! ;)

Far from being a fool but is he embarrassing or what. Jesus who does vote for such 'walk on Quiet Man' type political reps? He's getting € 200k p.a. for his troubles but think of the damage he's causing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

He is the smartest fool I know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Far from being a fool but is he embarrassing or what. Jesus who does vote for such 'walk on Quiet Man' type political reps? He's getting € 200k p.a. for his troubles but think of the damage he's causing!

Ever been to Kilgarvan or that general area? The man is a legend down there.
    I think he brings a bit of colour to the Dail while at the same time doing good work for his constituents. Good to have someone a little bit rought around the edges in todays world where politicians won't open their mouths without consulting the PR people.

What damage exactly is he causing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

bigkev49 wrote:
    Ever been to Kilgarvan or that general area?

Apart your claim he's a local legend, what is your point? I would imagine most of the country shudders when he begins........!
    bigkev49 wrote:
    What damage exactly is he causing?

Hugely embarassing and like the other local head banger priest pal, utterly undermines the Irish people and State's achievements at home and abroad.

He's not alone and has the local electorate/cronies to whinge about the tarmac etc Unbelievable that the State should pay so much for so little.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Apart your claim he's a local legend, what is your point? I would imagine most of the country shudders when he begins........!

Hugely embarassing and like the other local head banger priest pal, utterly undermines the Irish people and State's achievements at home and abroad.

He's not alone and has the local electorate/cronies to whinge about the tarmac etc Unbelievable that the State should pay so much for so little.

welcome to democracy -
    he was voted into his job , he's as entitled to be there for as long as he keeps running / he keeps getting elected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

OP - you mistyped 'shit'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Yeah - it was one of the funnier moments of the day, certainly outstripped Enda's "sweet shop" gag which was stupid (although he did have a go at JO'D in relation to JHR too).

As for him being a fool, I'm not sure how smart he is but he certainly seems to know what he's doing. What does it matter to him what the rest of Ireland thinks as long as enough people in Kerry South are impressed by his antics with the potholes?

Advertisement