Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

first car

Options
  • 15-06-2007 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

want to buy my first car.
    budget - 5K-6K
    I like VW Bora (2000) but I'm not sure it's a good choice. Bora owners I wait for your comments.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Petrol or Diesel?
    Personally I would go for something Japanese. Corolla or 323 if you want a saloon. Should get a 01 with that budget.

Something like this. (It's fairly high spec)
    http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=471354

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andrey

tuxy wrote:
    Petrol or Diesel?
    Personally I would go for something Japanese. Corolla or 323 if you want a saloon. Should get a 01 with that budget.

petrol. 1.4.. I like corolla as well, but after 2002 only which is too expensive :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What about the 323 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

what sort of a budget have you for insurance? is it definately a 1.4 you want?

the 1.4 bora is pretty bulky for the engine, try the 1.4 focus or leon

tuxy wrote:
    What about the 323 then?

323 is nice:-) Need to think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Bora is basically a Golf with a boot so it usually suffers from the same problems as the Golf. Things like lambda and mass air flow sensors are a common problem on VWs. Also watch the electrics as the central locking can be problematic on VWs around that time too.

The 1.4 litre only has 75bhp so don't expect great performance as the Bora is a heavy car but it is ok if most of your driving is urban. Try and get the higher spec Comfortline model as VWs tend to be very basic, many of that year might not even have electric windows or a cd player.

draffodx wrote:
    what sort of a budget have you for insurance? is it definately a 1.4 you want?

the 1.4 bora is pretty bulky for the engine, try the 1.4 focus or leon

For insurance - 1-1.5K. Total budget (car + insurance) = 7000
    Don't want to buy more then 1.4.
    I don't like spanish, italian, french, english and american cars. I like german & japanese cars:-)

bazz26 wrote:
    The Bora is basically a Golf with a boot so it usually suffers from the same problems as the Golf. Things like lambda and mass air flow sensors are a common problem on VWs. Also watch the electrics as the central locking can be problematic on VWs around that time too.

The 1.4 litre only has 75bhp so don't expect great performance as the Bora is a heavy car but it is ok if most of your driving is urban. Try and get the higher spec Comfortline model as VWs tend to be very basic, many of that year might not even have electric windows or a cd player.

thanks. I don't think I need a great performance.
    What about cost of fixing "common problem on VWs"?

what about a mitsubishi colt?

or are you after a saloon type car like he bora as oppossed to a hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

andrey wrote:
    thanks. I don't think I need a great performance.
    What about cost of fixing "common problem on VWs"?

Generally they are usually not big jobs but annoying all the same. Just try and stay away from VW main dealers as most tend to be very expensive for servicing and repairs. A good independant mechanic is your best bet.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote:
    what about a mitsubishi colt?

or are you after a saloon type car like he bora as oppossed to a hatchback?

Don't like hatchback type. I like saloon type as bora or opel astra (after 99), or seat toledo (don't like spanish:-)), octavia, nubira (but I fear that skoda, daewoo and chevrolet manufactured in Ukraine)

the octavia is a nice car though and if you find one within your budget you should take it for a test drive and see what you think, the bora is also a nice enough choice for what you want but as mentioned before try to get a decent specced comfortline model

bora
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=627804

octavia
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=698923

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If buying a Bora, get it thoroughly checked by a VW expert, there are many things to go wrong even on low mileage cars. the ones that immediately spring to mind are
    Clutches and flywheels, cracks in gearbox casing, faulty catalytic convertors, faulty ignition, window regulators, suspension bushes.

Advertisement