Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting laptop to run faster

• 15-06-2007 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Ok i have a vaio. its a Celeron 1.7 Ghz processor. 512 Mb Ram and 128mb intel graphics card. Basically all i mostly use it for is office applications, web browsing and loading music onto my MP3 player.

What i want to do is speed up the time it takes to boot up my laptop from when i turn it on.

What unesential windows software can i turn off that i dont need.

Also is there any software available that could make my laptop faster??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Another 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt at all. What programs run at startup? Like AV scanner, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from the Laptop forum.

More of a Windows problem than a specific laptop problem.

Start off by firing up msconfig (start->run->msconfig). Go to the startup tab and use trial and error to see what you can live with/without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Also is there any software available that could make my laptop faster??

Nope.

Best option as Ruu mentioned is more RAM it is dirt cheap and will make significant difference.

Pruning away app's that are not needed at startup is the next step and then do a defrag of the hard drive. Also uninstalling any applications that aren't really used would help a bit as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Ruu wrote:
    Another 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt at all. What programs run at startup? Like AV scanner, etc?

i can get a 2GB kit here for €81
    http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO+VGN%2DFE41E

seems like a reasonable enough price

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's one of the tiny Vaio's then it will be a lot slower than a similar spec desktop or larger laptop !

if it feels like it's a lot slower than when you first got it check for malware too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

If it's one of the tiny Vaio's then it will be a lot slower than a similar spec desktop or larger laptop !

if it feels like it's a lot slower than when you first got it check for malware too

It's a standard size vaio's (you mean physical size right?)

yead i check for spyware often i use spybot search and destroy, Adaware and Avg anti spyware. I use AVG anti virus as well.

Advertisement