Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding in the North

Options
  • 15-06-2007 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Driving from Dublin to Donegal alot and spend a good bit of time driving in the North. Not that I am a cronic speeder but I do tend to float a few kmh's over the limited from time to time.
    Anyway the last day there was a mobile speed camera at the Ballygawley roundabout and I was maybe 10 over the limit.
    Just wondering can they issue southern reg cars with points or fines, if the answer is no then dont worry I wont be like a mad man from Strabane to Ballygawley, just wondering should I be expecting a letter through the door anytime soon.

Cheers Lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no they cant issue you with penalty points but if your stopped in the north your car reg may be on the system and you may have to pay a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they feel you were taking the p*** in any manner regarding speed, as they can't serve you with a summons, they are quite likely to arrest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

whicawha wrote:
    Driving from Dublin to Donegal alot and spend a good bit of time driving in the North. Not that I am a cronic speeder but I do tend to float a few kmh's over the limited from time to time.
    Anyway the last day there was a mobile speed camera at the Ballygawley roundabout and I was maybe 10 over the limit.
    Just wondering can they issue southern reg cars with points or fines, if the answer is no then dont worry I wont be like a mad man from Strabane to Ballygawley, just wondering should I be expecting a letter through the door anytime soon.

Cheers Lads

I know that one - often an unmarked Ford Galaxy. Nothing will come of it as it is a bureaucratic process run by computer. No matching address for the registration the computer spits it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

If it was a speed camera, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a related note: if you are caught speeding are you only fined for that offence or if there is a few others on the system will they lay those aganst you?
    I know the PSNI don't have access (that they are allowed to have) to the Vehicle Licencing system down here but would that stop them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

If you're caught speeding in the North by a "live" cop, you'll be summonsed. You may have your car impounded there and then as people tend otherwise to not the fine later.

If you're caught by camera (fixed, mobile or "average speed") you won't be summonsed there and then, but you will be on record. If you're unlucky enough to be stopped later for something having not "paid up" for an earlier infringement, or if the cops just spot you (numberpate recognition is being fitted to PSNI cars soon), you'll definitely be arrested & car impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also note that community watch people in the north are issued with speed guns. Make a reputation and they'll come looking for you (the cops, not the baseball team :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

franksm wrote:
    If you're caught speeding in the North by a "live" cop, you'll be summonsed. You may have your car impounded there and then as people tend otherwise to not the fine later.

If you're caught by camera (fixed, mobile or "average speed") you won't be summonsed there and then, but you will be on record. If you're unlucky enough to be stopped later for something having not "paid up" for an earlier infringement, or if the cops just spot you (numberpate recognition is being fitted to PSNI cars soon), you'll definitely be arrested & car impounded.

A "live" cop will arrest you and hold you on bail until you pay the bail or have someone pay it for you.

Advertisement