Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Questions / Tips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

microbiek wrote:
    T^2 is proportional to R^3

O_o, calling it "kepler's law" is a bit of stretch, considering there was three laws, and they referred to eliptical orbits, not just circular ones, and you derive a formula, not just that proportion, and nowhere in the syllabus do they call it kepler's law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

cocoa wrote:
    O_o, calling it "kepler's law" is a bit of stretch, considering there was three laws, and they referred to eliptical orbits, not just circular ones, and you derive a formula, not just that proportion, and nowhere in the syllabus do they call it kepler's law...

ive seen it they do call it that and its sumtin lik T^2=GMm/R^3(4pi^2) is the formula nt sure!!

microbiek wrote:
    ive seen it they do call it that and its sumtin lik T^2=GMm/R^3(4pi^2) is the formula nt sure!!
    have a look at fobia's link to the syllabus, nowhere is the word "kepler" in it. You haven't got the formula right, but I think you're thinking of the right thing. Kepler's third law mentions the proportion between T^2 and R^3, not the formula...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Feddd wrote:
    When the exam is being made out, the short questions are done last (Q5). They are the things that "Didn't get a go" that year and are likley to come up the next year in long Qs.

Where did you get that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

That's not one of Kepler's laws though. What exactly is it called?

• Advertisement

carlowboy wrote:
    That's not one of Kepler's laws though. What exactly is it called?
    it is, technically, a very special case of the third law. It's not given a special name in the syllabus, I don't know if it has one, I've always just called it "formula for the period of a satelite (in a circular orbit)"

cocoa wrote:
    have a look at fobia's link to the syllabus, nowhere is the word "kepler" in it. You haven't got the formula right, but I think you're thinking of the right thing. Kepler's third law mentions the proportion between T^2 and R^3, not the formula...

oh ryt yeah its T62=4pi62R^3/GM you derive it by saying newtons grav equals centripetal force ye its just pat doyle goin into extar detils just sayin that it states t^2 is prop to R^3

motion of a satellite: The moon is a satellite of the earth Keplers 3rd law states that the periodic time squared is proportional to the radius cubed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

it's keplers third law and its derivation has come up before.

Tomlowe wrote:

came up in the mocks

• Advertisement

Tomlowe wrote:

They didn't word it as Kepler's law in the question though did they?

Tomlowe wrote:
    no, it's a formula which happens to be very special case of kepler's third law. You don't have to know the law, or have any extra knowledge about the proportion which happens to be contained in the formula.

where can you get all the syllabuses paticularly the engineering one???

cocoa wrote:
    no, it's a formula which happens to be very special case of kepler's third law. You don't have to know the law, or have any extra knowledge about the proportion which happens to be contained in the formula.

it just works out that way when you let w=2pi/T

cocoa wrote:

Well its not a very special case. It deals with circular orbits not eliptical ones (which Kepler's 3rd law was about). But most planet's orbit and satellites orbit are very close to circular so it is reasonably argument. Its not relevant at all in comets though.

You're right though.

there's no w in that formula, you don't have to study the link between simple harmonic motion and circular motion. There's no "working out" necessary, the formula is an equation, as it happens everything other than R and T are constant, so they are proportional, simple, but totally unnecessary for the LC course.

syllabuses

cocoa wrote:
    there's no w in that formula, you don't have to study the link between simple harmonic motion and circular motion.

syllabuses

ther is at the start as centripetal f = mw^2R its not w its a greek letter........thanks for the syllabuses

microbiek wrote:
    ther is at the start as centripetal f = mw^2R its not w its a greek letter........thanks for the syllabuses
    oh, you mean omega, angular velocity. It's still not in the formula for the period of a satelite, you mean the derivation? I suppose if you do let omega equal that then it works out that R^3 and T^2 are equal, but that's really beside the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

cocoa wrote:
    there's no w in that formula, you don't have to study the link between simple harmonic motion and circular motion. There's no "working out" necessary, the formula is an equation, as it happens everything other than R and T are constant, so they are proportional, simple, but totally unnecessary for the LC course.

syllabuses
    syllabi.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    syllabi.

Thought I'd come across as a pedantic git if I said that :D

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    syllabi.
    maybe, maybe not. I've never seen five bi, or omnibi go past my stop... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Syllabuses is perfectly accepted too.

I haven't seen many stadiums either.

*pumps fist*

whoah, off-topic -ness FTL... :(

pfft, stupid perfectly acceptableness.

Why omit a Latin suffix if you have the option?

Ommitting Latin suffici ftl.

Anyway, anybody a bit too lazy to study the ole physics. Its like I know most of it already but I really need to refresh everything but I cba to look through all the stuff I know just to find the valuable things!! :D Same with chemistry... oh god.

I study physics because it gets me away from studying for Economics :D

carlowboy wrote:
    I study physics because it gets me away from studying for Economics :D

I love physics, but I went over electricity today, and the only real things I needed to refresh were the wheatstone bridge, resistivity and capacitance, I basically wasted 2 hours trudging through a load of crap! :D

Only was to study right now imo is going through the exam papers, questions in Edco's experiment book and sample papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Ommitting

omitting.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    suffici

suffices.

Advertisement