Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - more price increases from July 30!

Options
  • 15-06-2007 5:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

The Irish Times reports today that eircom plans to increase the (already highest in Europe) monthly subscription for a telephone line (“line rental” in eircom/comreg bog talk lingo) to €25.36.

In metropolitan France it is €15 per month (inc VAT) – even cheaper in remoter parts of the country (eg €11.70 Guyana) – on France Telecom.

While some media morons sell the eircom/comreg spin that the loop unbundling system will be working properly from September, the fees paid to eircom by alternative suppliers to use the line loop continue to be the highest in Europe.

The monthly subscription for a phone line for anyone who has broadband is all but gone in France – because it is included in the broadband price of all alternative suppliers.

With free.fr €29.99 (inc VAT) gives you your line, broadband as fast as your line can take it (typically about 18 Mbits/sec but up to 28 Mbits/sec if you are close to the RSU, as well as 1 Mbits/sec upstream), unlimited broadband traffic, free unlimited phone calls to 49 countries, free modem and service set-up, free cable TV alternative with 100 channels free and 150 optional channels.

Operating in this “cut throat” French market, free (Iliad SA) made €182 million pre tax profit last year from the business!

http://adsl.free.fr/

In Ireland the market remains rigged and stifled and comregized. 1 Mbits/sec internet from eircom costs €50.35 per month including the line, with only a 128kbits/sec upstream, a tiny 10 GB download limited and 1 GB upload, and you don’t get free phone calls to 49 countries, you don’t get a cable TV replacement service, and you have to put up with very high contention ratios which slow down the speed at which web pages open on your PC monitor.

Eircom’s heavily strangled broadband is useless for multi-media internet, telecommuting, video conferencing, good quality VoIP telephony, and virtually everything else one might want to do on the net.

Irish people will continue to be stuck in their cars, helicopters and aeroplanes commuting and driving to meetings every day as a result, because the eircom-strangled Irish broadband offering is useless for pro-active use of multi-media applications.

.probe

Free.fr financial results summary: http://www.iliad.fr/en/finances/2007/CP_140307_Eng.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Incredible, absolutely incredible. Another increase in line rental.....over €25 just to have a phone line, and nothing can be done about it. They don't have to apply to the regulator for the increase.

How many people here would seriously cancel their €ircon phone line, to send a message to them. Enough people bitch about the prices they charge, not just for their line rental. Isn't it time the people using the service sent a message to €ircon? If enough people canceled their phone service with them, I'm sure they'd have to take notice and do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

NTL are currently relaying cables in D9. They say that we can have broadband on these cables. Does anyone have details? If we can do cable/NTL efficiently then the phone line and Eircom will be cancelled.

Heinrich wrote:
    NTL are currently relaying cables in D9. They say that we can have broadband on these cables. Does anyone have details? If we can do cable/NTL efficiently then the phone line and Eircom will be cancelled.

That's more like it, fiar play Heinrich. They are alternatives to broadband out there (I know some have none, but they are coming, like vodafone and 3s broadband service).

We need to get this rolling. Every cancelled €ircon land-line is statement to €ircon that we will not be taken for mugs anymore. We have to draw a line in the sand and say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I wouldnt change from Eircon to NT*, thats going from bad to worse....

sham69 wrote:

Thats a shame sham69. Are their no other alternatives for you? or do you not really care about the line rental price you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

sham69 wrote:

Care to elaborate?

We could do with a credible alternative to phone line charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I'm just after a €5 increase with Smart Telecom. No doubt there is another hike coming down the line for me on account of Eircom's planned increase.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Time to swirch my parents connection to digiweb. Thieving b@starts at eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Heinrich wrote:
    Care to elaborate?

Read the BB forum.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Heinrich wrote:

Digiweb? Irish Broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yet another brilliant move for Eircom and the Irish Broadband Industry,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sigh... What a load of cock...

Advertisement