Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flys - yuck

Options
  • 15-06-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

The last day or two my office has been overrun by big horrible blue bottle type flys. Despite my own DIY pest control - swatting them & hanging up the sticky tape thingy to tray them, they still keep appearing. They're like they're dying coz easy to swat them. I was told they're probably last year's flys who have come out of hibernation and will eventually die. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it true?? It feels like Im in an alfred hitchcock film - attack of the killer flys!! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I had some drowsy flies that overwintered in our skylight window frames a couple of years back. They were like bluebottles but not quite. Used to frighten me to death I'd open the window and the damn things would drop on me, then crawl about on the floor or worse the bed. They didn't seem to want to fly so I assumed they were hibernating.

Last autumn I made an effort to keep the windows open slightly in the daytime and seems to have done the trick as I haven't had any this spring, they obviously didn't like the draft up 'em

Fly spray probably your best bet unfortunately, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Don't know much about insects but seems a bit late to be coming out of hibernation...have you checked the bins, or office drawers? Maybe somebody left a ham sandwich lying around a couple of weeks ago and a pregnant fly sniffed it out (assuming flies can be pregnant)?

Not a particularly appealing thought I know, but think of it as natures way of cleaning up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

fly's are gross, spiders ftw cause they eat the suckers

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blondie999

Don't know much about insects but seems a bit late to be coming out of hibernation...have you checked the bins, or office drawers? Maybe somebody left a ham sandwich lying around a couple of weeks ago and a pregnant fly sniffed it out (assuming flies can be pregnant)?

Not a particularly appealing thought I know, but think of it as natures way of cleaning up :)

There's nothing that could attract them. I've hung up one of those sticky things and over the wkend literally 20 flys got caught on it but I always at any one time have a minimum of 3 buzzing and swooping around me! I'm slowly going mad here!! I just don't know where they are coming from. I'd gladly kill them all with fly spary but unfortunately I'm in a windowless office so unless I want to choke myself that option out.

Advertisement