Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bent rejects Hammers 17m (is he worth that?)

• 15-06-2007 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Darren Bent has turned down a move to West Ham United, Charlton confirmed on Thursday night.

Bent, who has rejected a transfer to West Ham, claps the Charlton fans after the final game of the 2006/07 season

The two clubs had agreed a fee for the 23-year-old England international, who has top scored for Charlton for the past two Premiership campaigns.

But after negotiations with the Hammers, the striker has rejected a switch to Upton Park and the chance to be reunited with the man who brought him to The Valley in August 2004, current Hammers boss Alan Curbishley.

Very suprised he has turned down that offer and find it harder to believe he will stick with Charlton.

http://www.irishaddicks.com

p.s (we have £30 quid free bet with betfair if anyone interested )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fair play to him. He turned down a £75,000 a week contract even though he knows that he wont earn that elsewhere. I hope he goes to Spurs and not Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 irishaddick

if he goes to spurs, would he get to play full time? I think he would have a hard time, berbatov is top class for them; he is someone that can carry the ball from midfield and score, Bent on the other hand, is better when the ball is delivered to him in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

He is not worth £17m, but £10-12m wouldn't be a bad price considering. There's a whole lot of TV washing around the game.

I'm hugely surprised he turned down the Bingo Club, its unlikely he'll be offered the reputed 75k a week by any other club, regardless of their position in the league.

If he goes to Spurs/Pool he will not be a guaranteed stater, but I'm starting to think he knows that yet he still sees more chance of success (and a better shot at an England place) at either of those two clubs. He'll certainly have European football of one sort or another if he does.

He's a proven PL goalscorer, but whether he can do same on a higher stage is unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he goes to Spurs, I think either Defoe or Berbatov are defo leaving, and to be honest, I can't see why Spurs would spend 17 milllion on what would clearly be their third choice striker. Considering how they want to spend on defence, I think this Bent to Spurs story makes little sense, unless Berbatov is leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and i'd imagine its fairly obvious that berbatov wont be leaving.

maybe defoe out and Bent fancies his chances about taking Keanes place

• Advertisement

I think it is obvious that Berbatov ain't leaving, which is why I think the story is bull****. Keane and Berbatov are the established partnership now, they have been incredible in the last few months, and I can't see Jol breaking them up. If they keep up their form, they can chellenge for the top 4 with those two strikers.
    Which is all the more reason for me to think that Bent ain't going to Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i wouuldnt go there just yet either. wait until west hams fate is decided fully over the whole sheffield utd thing

PHB wrote:
    If he goes to Spurs, I think either Defoe or Berbatov are defo leaving, and to be honest, I can't see why Spurs would spend 17 milllion on what would clearly be their third choice striker. Considering how they want to spend on defence, I think this Bent to Spurs story makes little sense, unless Berbatov is leaving.

Spurs are definitely interested in Bent, not at the price quoted and NOT as a replacement for Berbatov.

Spurs are definitely interested in Bent, not at the price quoted and NOT as a replacement for Berbatov.

Who is that a replacement for though? Why would Bent join Spurs as a 3rd choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    Who is that a replacement for though? Why would Bent join Spurs as a 3rd choice?

I rate Bent above Keane.

Berbatov
    Bent
    Keane
    Dafoe

If they did buy Bent I think they would deffo sell Dafoe.

• Advertisement

have to say i'd rate Bent above Keane too.

PHB wrote:

Adequate cover for Berbatov, challenger for #2 spot with Keane.

People keep forgetting that Robbie Keane is very much up and down, great 2nd half to the 05/06 season, and a good run in for 06/07. He is by no means a guaranteed starter.

Defoe is seen as surplus to requirements though valued at £10m for the resale. Management team are happy to keep hold of him though, they won't sell him on for a pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope he goes to Spurs and not Liverpool.

Indeed! Someone buy him before rafa does - please!

Mike.

why is it that Liverpool fans (probably myself included!) don't really like the idea of rafa signing Bent for around 15 million but would be delighted for Rafa to spend 30 million on Eto'o, tevez, torres etc? players who are unproven in the premiership and in Eto'os case older. If Bent came to Liverpool and continued to play as he has been doin for Charlton, surely he would be exactly wat we were looking for?

Keane is finally fullfilling his potential as a world class player playing alongside Berbatov.
    Even if Jol was buying him to provide depth, it would seem a shocking mismanagment of funds considering up front is not at all where Spurs have problems.

Bent is a good player, and has proven it at lots of levels, and will only get better, but I can't see why Spurs would want him at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Defoe seems as if he has finally decided that he doesent want to sit on the bench as much as he does/will at Spurs and is on his way, while Jol wants atleast 3 top class strikers to compete/provide cover upfront especially as Jol doesent really seem to prioritise any competition of an other.

Respect for Bent turning down Eggies 75,000 a week offer shows character unlike what people like Lucas Neil did last year turning down Liverpool ect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Defoe seems as if he has finally decided that he doesent want to sit on the bench as much as he does/will at Spurs and is on his way, while Jol wants atleast 3 top class strikers to compete/provide cover upfront especially as Jol doesent really seem to prioritise any competition of an other.

Respect for Bent turning down Eggies 75,000 a week offer shows character unlike what people like Lucas Neil did last year turning down Liverpool ect

very much agree with this. from interviews i have read and seen with bent he strikes me as being unlike the average footballer in that he is articulate,intelligent,socially aware and not purely motivated by greed. so many players would have jumped at the offer of 75000 a week from a mediocre side, but bent had the integrity and ambition to reject it. whether he is worth 17m or whatever is a different issue, but he is a proven scorer at premiership level even if his record against the bigger sides is not great he would still be an excellent addition to any team. alex and rafa should be getting their chequebooks out,i reckon he would be a great signing for either side and a better more reliable alternative to that golf club wielding jackass bellamy. and if spurs come in for him hopefully bent will have the sense to reject them too as he will win **** all with them

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I rate Bent pretty highly I must say, and I hope Spurs don't get him. He's a very good all-round player and seems to have a great attitude. The prices being mentioned are ridiculous though. Were they more realistic I'd like for Arsenal to sign him; seems he's a Gooner which would be a nice bonus!

so many players would have jumped at the offer of 75000 a week from a mediocre side, but bent had the integrity and ambition to reject it.

Tad harsh, I laugh at the Bingo Club 24/7 but even I wouldn't call them mediocre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

He is a good player for any team that signs him.

17m is probably the going rate for a top Premiership striker so its hard to shock any more. Gudjohnson is a much more value signing for any team IMO.

• Advertisement

Its twice what Everton paid Palace for Andy Johnson.

Last season £17m would have bought Berbatov and most of Nicholas Anelka (might have had to sacrafice a leg or something)

Its stupid money, dictated by Charlton to get another chunk of the forthcoming Sky money, based on Bent being English and capable of scoring in the PL.

Its only the going rate if somebody pays it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Hes not even worth 5 million. Hope the 'pool dont buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Even by current inflated prices he's not worth 17M. Maybe 10 but that's about it. Alot of the young English players tend to be way over-priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Its twice what Everton paid Palace for Andy Johnson.

Last season £17m would have bought Berbatov and most of Nicholas Anelka (might have had to sacrafice a leg or something)

anelka cost bolton 8 million

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

He is going to Valencia.

Fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aldini98 wrote:
    Hes not even worth 5 million. Hope the 'pool dont buy him.

What planet are you from?

He is one of the best strikers in the premiership!

sweetie wrote:
    anelka cost bolton 8 million

Hence the "most of" before his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Finally going to spurs anyway;

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2454631,00.html

Tottenham are on the verge of announcing they have signed Darren Bent, according to the BBC.

The corporation claims that Spurs and Charlton agreed a fee for the striker on Wednesday.

The occasional England international rejected a move to West Ham two weeks ago despite the Hammers offering £17m for his services. According to media reports, the 23-year-old had 'set his heart on moving to White Hart Lane'.

He has scored 37 goals in 79 games for Charlton since moving from Ipswich in 2005.

Reports indicate that Bent is willing to accept up to £20,000-a-week less in wages than was on offer to him at Upton Park to join Spurs.

Should his arrival at Tottenham be confirmed, it is bound to prompt speculation that Jermain Defoe - already third choice behind Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov - could leave the club.

Edit: Doesnt matter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

31 goals in 68 Premier League games for a no-hoper club like Charlton is an excellent record.

Fine player, but only worth about £12m in my estimation.

I think this is an excellent buy personally, he's a proven premiership talent who has a great goalscorin record.

Next season, Spurs have a fantastic forward line, Berbatov Keane and Bent will have them challenging for the CL no doubt, the only question is whether they can get their defence sorted, cause if they can, they are a very impressive squad.

Advertisement