Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cullen Again after everything?

Options
  • 15-06-2007 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

I think the title says it all:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bertie's probably under pressure to have a member of the cabinet from the Waterford area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I know but Cullen again after everything????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Hard to take, even harder, although it was inevitable I suppose is Harney at health but the hardest is a junior Ministry for Beverley Flynn. How's life under that snakes belly Bertie?

Bearly elected Bev to get a Junior ministry?? unreal. Harney I must admit has a really hard job, I think the hardest TBH. Cullen I really cant believe it. FF I didnt vote for and now am thankful for this. And JOD as CC unreal.!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Cant believe Cullen is still there, as a poster already suggested I think Bertie is under pressure to have a minister from Waterford. I think the reason that Harney is still minister for health is because I bet no one in the FF party wants to touch it with a barge pole.

What are peoples opinions on Bertie's new cabinet? Myself I think its going to more of the same really, ministers not taking responsibility, blaming everything and everyone but themselves and knowing the Bertie isn't going to sack them. On the whole I am disappointed with the new cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Happy days, the begrudgers are alive and well.

If ye could think for yourself and not expect what is written in the papers you might understand that he is not much different than any other minister. Even one of the commentators on Prime Time last night had to admit Cullen got unfair treatment from the media. It was clear from the beginning that the press were after a scalp and Cullen was their man. The only reason their was to sack him was the pressure the media were trying to put Bertie under to do so. Thankfully we have a head of government who has the media savvy to see passed this.

And before someone writes it, I am bias and proud of it.:p

And before someone writes it, I am bias and proud of it.:p
    thanks for that so we will just disregard your rant then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

All the carry on of the past week or two, prove that FF just want to be in power and they really don't give a sh1t about principle, equality, change or anything else.

What I find somewhat intrigueing is:

FF lost three seats in the GE, PD's reduced to nearly nothing, Independents (taken as a block ) reduced to 50% of their former status and the Greens just about held their own probably based on the fact that they somewhat presented themselves as an opportunity for chance, Yet these bunch of REJECTS or at best partial rejects, find their way into power. FFS.

I agree that Cullen should have been shown the door. But then so should quite a few of the rest of them.

dodgyme wrote:
    thanks for that so we will just disregard your rant then.

Somehow, I kind of expected you would. When someone disagrees with you, it’s a rant, I think that says it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Cullen's been moved to the department of social welfare
    This is a disaster. The next 5 years is going to see a major reworking of the social welfare system to in bring 'Compulsion' whereby single parents will be forced into the workplace once their children reach 8 years old. (According the the NESC's Developmental Welfare State policy document)

Regardless of the theoretical merits or flaws of this scheme as a whole, if it is implemented poorly, it will be a complete disaster, and with Martin Cullen in charge, we're in for a very very rocky time.
    He's going to make a complete balls of it, and the consequences will be much more severe than just a bit of wasted money on voting machines

• Advertisement

Somehow, I kind of expected you would. When someone disagrees with you, it’s a rant, I think that says it all!
    You were the one who said you were biased and proud of it so mate expect what you get then ok:eek:

Akrasia wrote:
    Regardless of the theoretical merits or flaws of this scheme as a whole, if it is implemented poorly, it will be a complete disaster, and with Martin Cullen in charge, we're in for a very very rocky time.
    He's going to make a complete balls of it,
    It looks like a tricky policy perfect for Cullen to bumble his way through without understanding it. The best was when rte asked him how barrier free tolling would work. All he could say was that they would remove the barriers. Then when pressed on how it would work he kept repeating the the same thing "we will remove the barriers". Poor lad didnt seem to understand the question.:rolleyes:

dodgyme wrote:
    You were the one who said you were biased and proud of it so mate expect what you get then ok:eek:

Are you going to give solid reasons why Cullen should have been removed over another minister? Any bitter election loser can say, ah he should be removed. As for expecting what I get, I have got nothing you have not made any points to back up your argeument.

Akrasia wrote:
    a bit of wasted money on voting machines

You are clearly not aware that the e-voting issue was a cabinet matter and not a decision made by a single minister. This was acknowledge on Prime Time and some other sources yesterday. This is more of the “not believing everything you read in the papers” kind of thing.

Are you going to give solid reasons why Cullen should have been removed over another minister? .
    Hah - e-voting both the disaster of the software and the continued cost of storage, Monica leech and the alleged awarding of PR contracts because of his "friendship" with her, the continued support of PPP by MC, the contracting out of road cameras, the M50 still in a mess and the minister not understanding the basic questions of how tolling without barriers might work, the self delusion of a minister who everyone thinks should be sacked and goes on T.V the day before voting an blabbers on in the 3rd person on how MC has delivered when he is voted the most likely person people wanted sacked from the cabinet. Obvious they didnt use the voting machines for that. The rail from pace pushed back by a year. Navan how long, Western corridor bumbling, the M3 routing did him no favours. Irish rails sh*tty service to commutters with no proper parking, access, feeder bus etc and not even enough ticket machines for user, a docklands station for commutters who mainly want to be in the city centre etc etc, luas from one place just to one other place with no connections, complete failure on integrated ticketing, no willingness to push the finance minister to introduce policies to improve transport like tax reform to favour smaller cars and taxing SUV to a greater degree etc etc. He was the transport minister, if things went well he would get the credit no? but he was terrible and all can see it but you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dodgyme do you have a particular agenda by any chance? All of the above are failings but I'd be intersted to know who would have got this country's crumbling transport infrastructure running well in the space of 32 months.

Its worth noting the voting machines were the brain-child of Cullens predecesor.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    dodgyme do you have a particular agenda by any chance?
    Its worth noting the voting machines were the brain-child of Cullens predecesor.

Mike.

Ya but the storage of them wasnt and the software being years past its sell by date wasnt. He oversaw the crappy /non/ deployment of them and was responsible for that. As for agenda's I dont have a 'particular' agenda whatever that means?

Also Mike I notice you are from waterford, the heart land of cullen support. perhaps you have the agenda to defend him because he probably looked after the constituency instead of doing his job as minister.

dodgyme wrote:
    Hah - e-voting both the disaster of the software and the continued cost of storage, Monica leech and the alleged awarding of PR contracts because of his "friendship" with her, the continued support of PPP by MC, the contracting out of road cameras, the M50 still in a mess and the minister not understanding the basic questions of how tolling without barriers might work, the self delusion of a minister who everyone thinks should be sacked and goes on T.V the day before voting an blabbers on in the 3rd person on how MC has delivered when he is voted the most likely person people wanted sacked from the cabinet. Obvious they didnt use the voting machines for that. The rail from pace pushed back by a year. Navan how long, Western corridor bumbling, the M3 routing did him no favours. Irish rails sh*tty service to commutters with no proper parking, access, feeder bus etc and not even enough ticket machines for user, a docklands station for commutters who mainly want to be in the city centre etc etc, luas from one place just to one other place with no connections, complete failure on integrated ticketing, no willingness to push the finance minister to introduce policies to improve transport like tax reform to favour smaller cars and taxing SUV to a greater degree etc etc. He was the transport minister, if things went well he would get the credit no? but he was terrible and all can see it but you.

First of all Monica Leech brought her case to the High Court and won, so if you want to keep using The Star and Ireland On Sunday as sources, I pity you. In relation to Irish Rail, tell me a minister in the last government that has been successful in getting all he/she wanted from the semi-state sector. Any politician could not solve the problems you list (which sounds like an article from the Irish Independent by the way) in the 2 years or so Cullen was the minister of transport. PPP’s are a way to achieve something, you may not agree with them but they are no scandal or reason to be removed from office. And clearly, I am not the only person that thinks Cullen is not the disaster the media try to make him out to be, Bertie for one is another.

Why do I get the feeling you are from a constituency that has no ministers?

dodgyme wrote:
    Also Mike I notice you are from waterford, the heart land of cullen support. perhaps you have the agenda to defend him because he probably looked after the constituency instead of doing his job as minister.

All ministers do this kind of thing. What makes Cullen any more disserving of sacking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Most of the problems I see with Cullen are included in that list but I would see his incompetence as top of the list. That is the least we can expect from a minister. No-one expects transport to be fixed in 32 months, but he seems incapable of getting his head around even the simplest brief. And he has enough advisers to help out. On 200k+ a year his performance to date that would be a P45 anywhere else.

We are fully entitled to expect some type of ability from our elected representatives. FF or Bertie are part of this problem. Of the last batch of FF ministers very few stand out as quality , yet he picked almost all of them again. Surely in the 78 he has there must be others with more ability.

I am certainly nervous of the idea of Cullen being let loose in Social Welfare.

is_that_so wrote:
    Most of the problems I see with Cullen are included in that list but I would see his incompetence as top of the list. That is the least we can expect from a minister. No-one expects transport to be fixed in 32 months, but he seems incapable of getting his head around even the simplest brief. And he has enough advisers to help out. On 200k+ a year his performance to date that would be a P45 anywhere else.

We are fully entitled to expect some type of ability from our elected representatives. FF or Bertie are part of this problem. Of the last batch of FF ministers very few stand out as quality , yet he picked almost all of them again. Surely in the 78 he has there must be others with more ability.

I am certainly nervous of the idea of Cullen being let loose in Social Welfare.

These are still more points that apply to all ministers, as you say yourself

“Of the last batch of FF ministers very few stand out as quality”

Again, What makes Cullen any more disserving of sacking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Perhaps it would be fairer if Mike 65 and Ballybrickman were to enlighten us as to the merits of Martin Cullen. Why, apart from "He's one of us", do you think he is deserving of a Cabinet place?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

These are still more points that apply to all ministers, as you say yourself

“Of the last batch of FF ministers very few stand out as quality”

Again, What makes Cullen any more disserving of sacking?

Yes they are which is why we need to apply high standards to high office.

If you don't do a good enough job, you're out. I would say that 32 months is enough to understand what it is you are supposed to be doing.

In Cullen's case I think competence is a pretty big one. It's the frightening lack of ability being rewarded that scares me. I would also certainly add Dempsey, Roche, and Conor Lenihan ,although he did eventually cop on. IMO, Brennan is not really ministerial - much better as chief whip, and O'Dea is questionable. I would also add O Cuiv to that list as he doesn't really seem to do anything at all, but I'm sure to be corrected on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Akrasia wrote:
    This is a disaster. The next 5 years is going to see a major reworking of the social welfare system to in bring 'Compulsion' whereby single parents will be forced into the workplace once their children reach 8 years old. (According the the NESC's Developmental Welfare State policy document)

Your making a lot of assumptions there.

1. The government might not last until Christmas.

2. In 5 years time there may not be work to place them in.

bmaxi wrote:
    Perhaps it would be fairer if Mike 65 and Ballybrickman were to enlighten us as to the merits of Martin Cullen. Why, apart from "He's one of us", do you think he is deserving of a Cabinet place?

He introduced mandatory breath testing and road deaths have been at there lowest for decades.

Transport 21, which set out a serious plan to improve the road network and public transport to a timescale, something no previous minister has had the vision to do before.

He keep the N9 upgrade on track when some clueless muppets were trying to block it by saying it was not needed.

Waterford for the first time in a generation has received a fair share of government funding.

He instigated improvements to the driving test system.

In the Dept of The Environment:

Rage against waste & the plastic bag levee.

Drainage schemes around the country.

A fairer level of funding for Waterford City Council.

I am not saying he is Mr perfect minister because he is from Waterford. I am saying he is no better or worst than any of the other ministers and did not deserve to be removed from the cabinet any more than any of the others ministers.

He has had to endure a concerted effort by the media to discredit and damage him to create an embarrassment for the government. The reason why they singled him out can only be answered by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Avns1s wrote:
    FF lost three seats in the GE, PD's reduced to nearly nothing, Independents (taken as a block ) reduced to 50% of their former status and the Greens just about held their own probably based on the fact that they somewhat presented themselves as an opportunity for chance, Yet these bunch of REJECTS or at best partial rejects, find their way into power. FFS.

But FG/Lab had even less seats than FF and only regained the position they had in 97. What sort of rejects are those? Or would you prefer FG/Lab/Greens who hold their own/PD's reduced to nearly nothing/Independents (not as a block) and SF. On the same argument Lab/SF/Ind's/Greens where rejected as well.

Same argument applies to FG as to FF.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You are clearly not aware that the e-voting issue was a cabinet matter and not a decision made by a single minister. This was acknowledge on Prime Time and some other sources yesterday. This is more of the “not believing everything you read in the papers” kind of thing.

And who brought the paper to cabinet?

Though it goes against all my principles, I'm actually starting to feel more than a little sympathy for Minnie Brennan. To be demoted not once, but twice, to make room for that tosser from Waterford must be hugely humiliating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Martin will be doing this sort of thing next! Just the way to get the Port Tunnel concept nationwide.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Akrasia wrote:

He's going to make a complete balls of it, and the consequences will be much more severe than just a bit of wasted money on voting machines

Wait 'til you see the queues building up outside the Social Welfare offices now that Cullen is at the helm! I wouldn't send this useless turd to get me a bag of chips.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement