Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fps question.

Options
  • 15-06-2007 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I'm looking to give my gaming experience a graphics boost, greater fps etc.
    My current set up is: amd 3700+ 2.2ghz, 1 gb ram, 2x 6800 (sli) resolution : 1440x900.

What graphics card or cards (sli) would anyone recomend?

The main reason I ask is that while playing Ghost Recon 2 my fps can drop down to as little as 4 fps (fraps) and thats with no aa af, but I can play oblivion at 30-40 fps !:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

more ram and a 8800gts/x

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Thanks Anti, I was wondering why such a difference in the frame rates between the two games, Oblivion being a newer and more demanding game than Ghost recon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

PC Ghost Recon 2 uses what's called deferred rendering for lighting & shadows, to boil it down basically non-DX10 cards have a tough time processing this type of game engine (but it makes life easy for developers to implement lighting/shadows which is why they use it) so the game runs slower in general. DX10 cards architecture is more suited to processing this kind of workload which is why games like Graw and Stalker run better on DX10 cards (even if they are running in DX9 mode on XP).

Oblivion does not use this type of rendering system which is why it runs better on existing hardware (the lack of AA is down to the type of HDR lighting it uses not because it uses deferred rendering which is incompatible with AA).

At 1440x900 the best card to get is an 8800GTS 320MB, there is no need to get anything more powerful as the GTS & GTX will be pretty much the same performance wise.

Advertisement