Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Yeooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Passed on my second time in SGS Tallaght. Only got 3 Grade 2's, the tester was dead sound aswell

I'm feckin' delighted, as I'm still only 17 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xavierg

well looks like it has been about a week since someone has passed.. so i wil keep it goin by adding that yes i did pass my test today. had it in churchtown. was a nervous wreck inside.. didnt show it though. or at least i hope i didnt. thought fure sure this dude was gonna fail me cause i made a total idiot of my self when i didnt answer the beginning question like when do use dipped lights and the dam rules of the yellow box. but in the end i was just marked 4 grade 2's and 1 grade 1. sweet sweet sweet. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xavierg

well looks like it has been about a week since someone has passed.. so i wil keep it goin by adding that yes i did pass my test today. had it in churchtown. was a nervous wreck inside.. didnt show it though. or at least i hope i didnt. thought fure sure this dude was gonna fail me cause i made a total idiot of my self when i didnt answer the beginning question like when do use dipped lights and the dam rules of the yellow box. but in the end i was just marked 4 grade 2's and 1 grade 1. sweet sweet sweet. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Passed SGS Blackrock, Cork

Second time around. Ive come to realise the questions before the driving mean nothing. I done crap in both due to nerves. Aslong as do a good drive should pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Passed SGS Blackrock, Cork

Second time around. Ive come to realise the questions before the driving mean nothing. I done crap in both due to nerves. Aslong as do a good drive should pass.

Congrats, and your right the questions mean very little really. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

passed my driving test today,secound time doin it,man it feels good:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

Passed today in Wilton, Cork, 2nd time around. Only 3 grade 2 faults. Delighted. Was more nervous today than before but did a lot better than I had expected. Thank god I dont have to do it again!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Congrats ye 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Josie_dub

Ahhh my computer just crashed so I have to type this all again. I passed last week first time round but I didn't deserve it nor did I really get a chance to do it fairly. I'm happy that I now have a full licence and my insurance has come down but I worked hard and practised loads and all for nothing. Basically the tester was an absolute nutter. At the start of the test he said straight away to me that once I didn't crash or do anything majorly dangerous that he'd pass me, this was because he was being let go and didn't really care. He did and said so many shocking things that I'd be here all day so heres just a few. He distracted me so much doing the reverse that I hit the kerb, he laughed at me and told me to do it again. When coming out of the estate he told me to put my foot down because we wern't on a proper route, he didnt want to be seen by another tester (or the RSA spies he told me about). He answered his phone and had a full blown conversation with his mate while pointing in the direction he wanted me to turn. He told me I was gorgeous and if only he was 20 years younger:eek:! He didn't even get me to do a hill start!! When we got back to the office he whispered you probably should have failed but I passed you anyway, I was so in shock it still doesn't even feel like it happened.He said I threw in a grade 2 for coasting and one for the reverse just so it doesn't look weird. I feel robbed, I could have done it on my own! I can't even bring myself to tell my friends that I got it handed to me I've just told my sister and she couldn't believe a grown man in a professional job could act like that, he was cursing so much aswell I was just so uncomfortable. I think I was his last or second last candidate so if I did or said anything I'd just lose my license. I feel so cheated!!!! Sorry for the rant....

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

Congrats, and your right the questions mean very little really. :)

Couldn't be more wrong. If you get 3 or more questions wrong you get a grade 2 mark, which limits you to 7 out o the road. A lot of people have failed their test with 9 grade 2's, one of them being for Rules/Checks.
    Also gives a bad impression to the tester if you get a lot of questions wrong, and he's unlikely to give you the benefit of the doubt in certain situations.

• Advertisement

brian076 wrote: »
    Couldn't be more wrong. If you get 3 or more questions wrong you get a grade 2 mark, which limits you to 7 out o the road. A lot of people have failed their test with 9 grade 2's, one of them being for Rules/Checks.
    Also gives a bad impression to the tester if you get a lot of questions wrong, and he's unlikely to give you the benefit of the doubt in certain situations.

Its 10 grade 2s is it not?

And im not wrong. In the grand scheme of things answering the questions wrong is generally the least worse thing thing you can do, also many of the testers just ask you a different question.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

9 grade 2's is a fail. Each candidate is asked 12 road signs and 6 questions, 3 or more wrong answers is a grade 2 fault, the same as making a grade 2 fault on the road. Yes it's not as serious as driving thru a red light, but to say that the rules of the road questions are not important is bad advice to anyone intending to sit their test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iona_buss

Passed today in Tallaght, second time lucky! Still feel I drove better the first time, doesn't matter now. Within a few minutes the tester told me to pull over, and he got out because there was some one following us for the test route. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

brian076 wrote: »
    9 grade 2's is a fail. Each candidate is asked 12 road signs and 6 questions, 3 or more wrong answers is a grade 2 fault, the same as making a grade 2 fault on the road. Yes it's not as serious as driving thru a red light, but to say that the rules of the road questions are not important is bad advice to anyone intending to sit their test.

I only got asked 4 signs and 2 questions :pac: Didnt seem like he was bothered lol.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I only got asked 4 signs and 2 questions :pac: Didnt seem like he was bothered lol.

And from everything ive heard its the same in the vast majority of tests.

Congrats to you iona!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RINO87

passed first time in Birr on thursday, this is my first time writing in here, but ive been reading up on the threads here for the last week or so. got some really helpfull advice.

Cheers to everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Passed in Ballymun yesterday!! Tester was well sound. She didnt want to go out as i started to snow really bad. Have failed once and 2 cancellations before this. Was short of begging to go out. Snow wasn't sticking to the ground so she said it would be ok to go out. 4 Grade 2's. All good.. Thanks for the replies leading up to the test:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globulin777

Congrats all............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

passed on my second attempt in wilton cork today. what a feeling it was tearing down those L plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Passed in Bray test centre today (SGS) :)
    2nd time lucky, failed in Wicklow (Murrough centre) town in Nov '08.
    Test was scheduled for 1:10 , and tester came out at about 1:30 :)
    Nerves were rattling waiting to go out !
    Really is a horrible feeling of anxiety, got couple pre-tests and felt fairly confident but nothing prepares you for the nerves an hour or so before it !
    Got all questions right bar one which was T-junction with dual carriageway, no problems with under bonnet checks etc ..
    Them palm held devices they use for marking wreck your head :rolleyes:
    I think they have to tap it a few times to put one mark up ! Got 4 blue in total, 2 reaction, 1 observation changing lanes and 1 obsevation turning right .
    The reverse went well, took it really slow and observed well and same with 3 point turn.
    Hill start was on an approach up to a roundabout in which i thought was a trick to try and catch me out, thought it was an unusual place for it and illegal and didnt pull in in after she asked me couple times then i did finally :D
    Route took in couple unexpected roads etc but knew the area very well which helps imo.
    Was out for about 35 mins , then back into the room where loads more tapping on that device took place :rolleyes:
    Was then told i passed , was more relief than anything else of not having to go through that waiting and thinking about the test again that pleased me most !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

passed on friday in newcastlewest. busy 4pm friday traffic which was new to me. Stalled twice in slow moving traffic in the first five minutes (which had me thinking that I failed and ironically that calmed me down!) I usually never stall but I restarted quickly both times rather than panicking!

Did the reverse from a busy enough major road into an estate and I had to wait five minutes before I could even set off because it took forever for the road behind me to clear .

Got 8 grade two's so I cut it close but I'm delighted that I passed first time round! It was the waiting for the last eight weeks that got to me more than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

jordainius wrote: »
    passed on friday in newcastlewest. busy 4pm friday traffic which was new to me. Stalled twice in slow moving traffic in the first five minutes (which had me thinking that I failed and ironically that calmed me down!) I usually never stall but I restarted quickly both times rather than panicking!

Did the reverse from a busy enough major road into an estate and I had to wait five minutes before I could even set off because it took forever for the road behind me to clear .

Got 8 grade two's so I cut it close but I'm delighted that I passed first time round! It was the waiting for the last eight weeks that got to me more than anything else!

Well Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Just passed in Kilkenny with RSA, can't describe the feeling. The tester was dead sound. Put me at ease straight away by cracking a few little jokes. Asked about 6 questions and 6 road signs, flew them.
    Then he covered the technical checks, all went grand. About a 20-25 minute drive around town, did the hill start, reverse and turn about in the first 5 minutes of the drive, then it was just traffic, ring road, round about and junction work. All went perfect.

In total I got 2 blues and 1 green, one blue and one green for observation and a blue for giving someone right of way when I shouldn't.

All in all I'm delighted and it's the best feeling you can get. The only problem is I missed out on 'tearing down the L plates' because I did it in my girlfriends car!:pac: I have to say covering threads here really helped though!

One thing that helped a lot I think is that this was only a cancellation I got the other day! So I didn't have to long to prepare but at the same time, I didn't have too long to worry!

Cheers everyone! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Congrats TheElf, fair dues for taking it on such short notice and passing with flying colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

is there a list anywhere of whats a grade 1,2,3 etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

The definitions are printed on the back of the "Driving Test Report"

Grade 1; Minor fault.

Grade 2; More serious Fault.

Grade 3; Dangerous/Potentially Dangerous or total disregard of traffic controls.

Grade 1 faults do not affect the test result.

A combination of 3 or more unanswered or incorrectly answered questions on the rules of the road/checks, constitutes a grade 2 fault.

3 or more hand signals not demonstrated correctly constitutes a grade 2 fault.

3 or more Secondary Controls not demonstrated correctly constitutes a grade 2 fault. (temperature controls, fan, air-vents, rear window heater, wipers, windscreen washer, light switches, air intake control, rear fog light and air conditioner if fitted)

Not operating a Secondary Control as required during the practical test can also constitute a fault.

Technical checks; Inability to describe a check on 3 or more of the following constitutes a grade 2 fault. (tyres, lights, reflectors, indicators, engine oil, coolant, windscreen washer fluid, steering, brakes and horn)

I'll also list the 18 categories that are graded on in the test (I wont list the sub categories!)

1; Rules/Checks
    2; Position
    3; Observation
    4; React to Hazards
    5; Mirrors
    6; Clearance/Overtake
    7; Signals
    8; Motorcycles
    9; Courtesy
    10; Alighting
    11; Progress
    12; Vehicle Controls
    13; Speed
    14; Traffic Controls
    15; Right of Way
    16; Reverse
    17; Turnabout
    18; Parking

Here is the report form they use to mark you during the test.

http://www.drivingtesttips.ie/Report-Form.html

That website is an excellent resource for anybody taking the test in the future. :)

And well done on your recent pass jordainius!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Passed :D second time around.

With the RSA in Rathgar - notoriously difficult to pass with these guys apparently so i'm delighted! I showed up about half 9 this morning and they saw me there and then (my test wasn't meant to be until 10.05)

7 x Grade One (technical checks mainly)
    8 x Grade Two (progress and gears - although I'm going to consider this as being more due to my unbelievable nerves more than anything else)
    0 x Grade Three

I was absolutely convinced I'd failed but remembered all I'd read on here about not giving up till the end etc. because it's not over until you're back in the centre. So it was definately a bit "skin of my teeth" sort of stuff, as the tester gladly pointed out when we returned :rolleyes:

No under the bonnet checks and no roundabouts, which was strange, but I'm not going to complain about that.

Happy days and good luck to all still waiting to sit their own driving test. :D

Now off to Axa to get my crippling premium lowered :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

This post has been deleted.

Much appreciated donegalfella, although I wish I could say the same to the man on the other end of the phone at Axa, who informed me that he failed his for the fourth time last Saturday. Felt a bit bad then :o

Advertisement