Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

Branoic wrote: »
    I passed an hour ago!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

But man, let me tell you about the morning I had!

Test was at 12, so I got out of the house at 9 with the intention of driving to the town the test centre is in to spend an hour or two going around the routes. I had checked all the lights on the car two days ago and all was well.

But not this morning!!

Damn reverse light wasn't working.

Brought it to a garage to have a look and it wasn't just the bulb, something in the electrics was gone. He didn't have the required part and nor did any other suppliers in the town. Nightmare! I was bricking it. I had to change cars with my wife which I was really not happy with. Although the second car is newer and nicer, and I have driven it before, I've had all my practice in the first car. The clutches are totally different and I wasn't as familiar with the secondary controls or under the bonet.

Anyway, ripped the L plates off my car and stuck them on my wife's. It was lashing rain and I had 40 minutes left before the start of the test. On the dual carriageway between my town and the next, the goddamn front L plate (they were exterior ones) flew off the car!! CRAP! I nearly started crying.

I spent the next half hour driving to three different garages looking for new L plates. Finally found them and got to the test centre with 5 minutes to spare, no proper practice in, with a car I wasn't too familiar with and in an absolute panic!

Anyway, despite this nightmare start, I passed! Tester said it was a good solid drive and one of the better ones he's had this week so far. Awww yeah!

Omg, wow ya prob reason why you passed, I find that if things are going too smoothly early on in the process of doing something then it would eventually go wrong. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

Passed, transferred centers at the last minute for a quicker test. Passed with 7 blues on a route i'd had never had any lessons on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Woo! :) Churchtown today, full license tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Passed this morning in Raheny.

Did my test this time last year in Baldoyle with SGS, where a certain notorious tester failed me, laughed during my test, and cracked jokes about my driving during afterwards too.

The tester in Raheny today made me feel at ease from minute 1 today. And the other instructer I saw talking to someone else seemed sound enough too!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Raheny.

Did my test this time last year in Baldoyle with SGS, where a certain notorious tester failed me, laughed during my test, and cracked jokes about my driving during afterwards too.

The tester in Raheny today made me feel at ease from minute 1 today. And the other instructer I saw talking to someone else seemed sound enough too!
    Congrats.

Same scenario with me, probably same guy who failed me in Baldoyle back in October due to another guy pulling out in front of me.

Passed a few weeks ago in Raheny - a much better setup and more professional. Tester was much nicer and he was having a laugh with me when we got back to the centre by taking ages to tell me whether I passed or failed :p

• Advertisement

Adam Selene, sunnyjim and ironclaw well done! ;) delighted for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Congrats to all you guys who passed recently and good luck to all those preparing :cool: keep the head for the 25mins and you'll all do fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Passed my test today on the first attempt in killarney... thought i may have failed it after about 5 minutes when i thought i went through a red light:eek: I mounted the curb once also, so i wasn't very confidant but i only had 5 grade 2s... not too bad i guess...

i'm delighted! I don't think i was ever so nervous in my life, even during leaving cert and college exams but i was never so happy when the examiner told me i passed!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Hey guys, quick question... if i pass the test can i take the l plates off straight away or must i wait until i actually get my licence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Passed my test today on the first attempt in killarney... thought i may have failed it after about 5 minutes when i thought i went through a red light:eek: I mounted the curb once also, so i wasn't very confidant but i only had 5 grade 2s... not too bad i guess...

i'm delighted! I don't think i was ever so nervous in my life, even during leaving cert and college exams but i was never so happy when the examiner told me i passed!!!:D

Well done on yer test!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Just in relation to the above, I passed a few weeks ago, i sent off for my full licence straight away, 5 days later called the motor tax office to see how long it would be as i was dying to take my L plates off. They told me I could be waiting another two weeks. I thought this was really silly, you have passed your test, sent in your cert. of competency (and had a photocopy as evidence I had passed) sent in your provisional licence with the application, so you cannot drive alone or accompanied as you have no licence, this is crazy that you cannot drive alone despite passing your test because of backloggs in the motor tax office ...so, I called the Gardai to ask what would happen if I was stopped. I actually called two different stations to make sure and specifically asked if it was at the gardas discretion. Both told me no, as long as you have a copy of the cert of competency they would have no issue with it as you have passed your test and are deemed competent to drive....anyway, pink licence arrived about 5 days later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

rio1 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the above, I passed a few weeks ago, i sent off for my full licence straight away, 5 days later called the motor tax office to see how long it would be as i was dying to take my L plates off. They told me I could be waiting another two weeks. I thought this was really silly, you have passed your test, sent in your cert. of competency (and had a photocopy as evidence I had passed) sent in your provisional licence with the application, so you cannot drive alone or accompanied as you have no licence, this is crazy that you cannot drive alone despite passing your test because of backloggs in the motor tax office ...so, I called the Gardai to ask what would happen if I was stopped. I actually called two different stations to make sure and specifically asked if it was at the gardas discretion. Both told me no, as long as you have a copy of the cert of competency they would have no issue with it as you have passed your test and are deemed competent to drive....anyway, pink licence arrived about 5 days later...

Strictly speaking you must have the license in hand, but all i can say is good luck to the garda trying to prosecute you for it, if your stopped at a checkpoint, i would think nearly all gardai wouldnt have a problem

3 weeks seems ages?! In wexford i gave it in on the thursday ofeater weekend and had the full on the tuesday, which was next working day!
    They said to me i was caovered to drive in the meantime aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Just passed in Dungarvan this morning. Loads of practice around the town really helped. As did a fantastic instructor. I'd done lessons in Dublin with a school and found the instructor lazy and unhelpful. The guy I had in Dungarvan was very effective and really seemed to care.

On the day I got lucky with little traffic, no oncoming traffic on reverse around corner, no unpredictable hazards, but stil picked up a couple of observation on roundabouts and a right of way on roundabout grade 2. 4 grade 2s in total.

The learning starts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Just passed today in Cork, had my license in hand and L-plates off within the hour.

It was tight. Thank god I passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Passed in Sligo today, third time lucky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

Passed first time in Navan, ship ship!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Ah, first time pass; you haven't experienced the utter dissapointment of a fail then, which leads inevitably to feeling 100 times happier when you do pass!

Having failed the test twice, passing on the third attempt was amazing. It was like a drug when she told me I passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SeverusTheCat

Passed today in Finglas!! Delighted with myself...3 blues and a green. I was second time lucky...first time was last Friday :o...I'm going away on Sunday so they (reluctantly) gave me a cancellation! I had women both times, the first one was awful and apparently fails a lot of people. A granny pulled out and blocked a road that had cars parked on both kerbs and was only wide enough for one car. I was already driving through so she should have waited but the she wouldn't reverse out so I'd to reverse parallel park in the rain with cars behind me. Red mark for reaction to hazards. I was raging but I flew it today with a lovely examiner! My driving was better the first time though, I know it myself. There's a huge element of luck involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Passed first time out in Dublin.
    And here was me, crapping it 'cos they "changed" the questions on 1. June :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Passed first time out in Dublin.
    And here was me, crapping it 'cos they "changed" the questions on 1. June :D

Changed the questions? Where did you do it. Well done btw

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

Did my test in October last year in navan...about 10mins into the test the friggin car breaks down! It's 2pm on a Friday in the middle of the town on a one way street, so the tester calmly says "we'll have to push it off the road", Embarrasment Headache!!!
    Thankfully he rescheduled the test for me in December and passed it with 3 Grade 1s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Passed my artic test in Sligo today. The drive itself went fine but the reverse was tricky and had to eat a grade 2 for pulling forward twice during the manoeuvre.

If anyone else is about to take an EC test and is wondering what kind of truck specific questions might be asked by the tester - I had to describe the correct procedure for coupling and uncoupling the unit and trailer. He asked me to name three things any truck driver must keep in their cab (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, warning triangle) and of course what was the height of the test vehicle.

Besides that it was much the usual stuff you would be asked during a car test, like right of way at a roundabout and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

passed in galway this morning, 1 grade 2...delighted!! Was my first time, only started driving 5 months ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Passed first time in Carrick a few hours ago, one grade 1 and one grade 2 fault :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Passed today in Tallaght. 3 grade 2's. Second attempt at it. Failed first time in churchtown. Went straight to the tax office to submit my form :p Such a relief to be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

I passed my driving test.
    It was Easy!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anyanka

well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Passed today am over the moon!!! Had about a million grade 1s and a few grade 2s though :o
    Went straight to the already-closed tax office to drop in the stuff into the letterbox cant wait!

Tester told me I could take down the l-plates as soon as I left, and that after surrendering my provisional I could just drive with the receipt (or in my case since I posted, the photocophy of the cert I guess)... think i'd better wait though!

whee :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bblock

YABADABA DOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
    all i wanted was to turn 18 and pass my driving test ..... I was 18 on the 31st of May then 18 days later (18th June) I passed my test in Tallaght :) All thanks to my instructor, he was the best, thanks Kevin ;)

Advertisement