Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

Passed this morning first time!!

Many thanks to everyone who has posted advice and questions in this forum. It was a big help for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Passed a few weeks ago now, third times a charm! Failed twice in Navan (easy my arse) and passed first time in Finglas, all thanks to my instructer Tony Sutherland. Cheers Tony!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

just passed in Navan,second time:pac::D. Off to the tax office and the off license for some celebrating :D. Good luck to everyone about to take the test.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

passed with no grade 2's in raheny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Passed yesterday in Wilton.Third time lucky! Tester was lovely and couldn't have asked for a nicer route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Congratulations jjbrien. :)

Good question. Had a quick scan through the Road Traffic (Licensing of drivers) Regulations and I couldn'd find anything about that. I'm not sure but I'd say you can remove them. After all, you have been deemed to be competent in the category that you have passed and the Certificate is valid for two years..

i believe when you put in for the full license they give back a lil cert or something saying you can drive and fully licensed but just waiting for you license to be printed

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

passed first time. in finglas. 3 grade two. hit a speed bump too fast. to hesitant before a roundabout. and taking a corner from light, hit 3rd gear instead of 1st and some stuttering.

delighted. on to ballymun tax office asap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I passed my driving test.
    It was Easy!! :D

Congrats lad! I see you're from Kerry - did you do it in Tralee or Killarney? Did it in Killarney myself - dunno how I passed had a horrible time of it during the test - a bus swerved towards me about a min into it and some wanker stepped out in front of my car as I was driving through town!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

You guys are sooooo LUCKY. well, those who have passed. Started driving like 3 months ago and im dying to have a crack at the test! But cant take it till sept... any advice? i wanna do it asap so i don't get too many bad habits you know? plus im heading to college in sept nd wunt have my mum or dad there to acc me nd ill be damned if i leave my car here while im paying 100/month for insurance and 300 tax of a car im nt using lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

Ya i no. I applied already. I was just saying i wish the 6months thing didnt apply nd it is up in sept 13th anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The only tips I'd give are - from day one of driving you should be going down through the gears when slowing, get used to checking your mirrors - you've to do it alot in the test as many people get slated on observation. Look in your mirror before you indicate and always check you're blind spot when starting off from a stationary position. They mainly take you down on observation - you should be grand for vehicle control etc. by the time you get to the test

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Yes got mine today :) so so happy best feeling ever.

I would advise anyone to have a few pretests before the date then one on that date. It helps so much. I got mine from 3 different people and really made me get over the nerves of a stranger in the car and aswell each pointed out a different flaw and focused on it and then i passed ;0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Passed in Dundalk yesterday, 1st time! :)

I was convinved I was going to fail, I only got up to dundalk once to go around the routes due to a pretty hectic social life this past few weeks.

When I got out on the road my confidence kicked in and it was a breeze, so much easier then I expected but then everything always is..

So happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Keenski

Finally passed, forth time lucky. So glad i do not have to deal with the RSA again, what a sham of an organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Passed in wicklow. Ship Ship. What a bugger of a town to drive around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

newbie2 wrote: »
    Passed in wicklow. Ship Ship. What a bugger of a town to drive around.

thats what ross o carroll kelly thought lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

have my test in naas tomorrow morning,first time doing it, hope to post in here.im bricking it, ive had a few pretests and passed, and my instructor feels confident enough ill pass-i know my nerves could be the factor though!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Passed last week! Wooo!
    I can go coasting and driving with my feet and break the speed limit whenever I want now!! :D

But seriously, I'll be careful. As my father said: Drive as if everyone else on the road is a complete and utter moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Passed today in Rathgar! So happy to have it done! My indicator bulb went not once but twice morning of test but luckily I had spare bulbs and my instructor was able to change it for me.

It all went well and once I was calm and observed really well it all went fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Passed in Finglas today with flying colours. Really sound tester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 spaceboynz

I passed in Raheny yesterday - it was my 2nd attempt. 1st attempt was in Finglas.

Sound tester - although I disagree with him on one point:

I got a grade 2 fault for not giving way when turning right. What had happened was: I was turning right at a stop sign and I had come to a stop. There was lady coming from right who had stopped just short of the intersection as was beckoning me to go. Trying to do the right thing and I did not move, did not gesture, but made eye contact with her, and tried to use my expression to plead with her to please move off so I can go. About 10-15 seconds passed and she was still inanely smiling at me and not moving, so, after checking all around, and seeing she was my only obstacle, I tentatively moved off. At exactly that moment!, she also moved off. So I stopped again. She also stopped, and returned to waving me on inanely. So I drove off again - and earned my fault - and the way he was telling me, he was kind of implying I was lucky it wasn't a grade 3.

I asked the tester what I should have done: he said I should just have waited till she was gone. I may still be waiting :).

Having driven in NZ for 16-odd years, I found the process of unlearning my bad habits and driving in a very robotic and forced way very difficult.

A lot of the rules seem quite arbitrary and the marking seems quite subjective, e.g. it is a very very very fine line between moving too slowly and moving too quickly.

Also, as has been pointed out, each test is unique therefore, along with the tester you are bound to encounter new and interesting situations. It then comes down to a subjective judgement between you and tester about who acted correctly. You may feel you followed the rules and applying common sense (as I feel I did!) and the tester may have his own opinion - and as it's subjective, it may vary from one tester to the next :(.

My advice is to take as many lessons as you need to be very comfortable with the car and the area. Aside from following the basic rules of the road (giving way, speed limit, etc) the #1 thing is showing the tester that you are safe, competent and in control of the vehicle. If s/he feels safe, then I believe they will be more forgiving of you. The moment that loose faith in you, they're out with the pen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Passed last Tuesday in Mungret, Limerick. First time lucky for me, after 6 months on a learner permit :D

A pair of grade 2s in observation, one turning left, and one reversing. I know what the one for the left turn was, we came up to a T-junction with a yield sign in a housing estate, and I took a quick glance right and left, dropped into second and took it at about 20-25km/h. I kind of forgot I was in the test, and just drove as I normally would. Lucky I didn't get a grade 3 for that I think :o Delighted with the reversing, I don't normally have any trouble with it, but when doing a pre-test the weekend before, we did the same corner I did in the test. In the pre-test, for some reason, I had the front of the car halfway across the junction before I managed to straighten up...It's a difficult one, almost a right angle. It's the one just before the speed ramp in Avonmore, for those that know Limerick.

Was a miserable day thankfully, so she didn't do technical checks, and the lights were just indicators and brake lights. I was fine with all the checks, but at least I didn't have to get out and get soaked, and then get destroyed checking tyre thread depth :D Didn't do a proper hill start, but taking off from the turnabout and the turnabout itself was on a fair hill, so maybe that was counted. Was bricking it going back into the office, I was only driving for 15-20 minutes, and thought I'd gotten a grade 3 for the left turn. Was delighted when she gave me the cert, went straight into the tax office to get the pink slip (accompanied of course :rolleyes:) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

spaceboynz wrote: »
    I passed in Raheny yesterday - it was my 2nd attempt. 1st attempt was in Finglas.

Sound tester - although I disagree with him on one point:

I got a grade 2 fault for not giving way when turning right. What had happened was: I was turning right at a stop sign and I had come to a stop. There was lady coming from right who had stopped just short of the intersection as was beckoning me to go. Trying to do the right thing and I did not move, did not gesture, but made eye contact with her, and tried to use my expression to plead with her to please move off so I can go. About 10-15 seconds passed and she was still inanely smiling at me and not moving, so, after checking all around, and seeing she was my only obstacle, I tentatively moved off. At exactly that moment!, she also moved off. So I stopped again. She also stopped, and returned to waving me on inanely. So I drove off again - and earned my fault - and the way he was telling me, he was kind of implying I was lucky it wasn't a grade 3.

I asked the tester what I should have done: he said I should just have waited till she was gone. I may still be waiting :).

I think the main thing you were penalised for there was your indecisiveness. The same as waiting too long at a roundabout or any other turn. Holding up traffic, etc will cost you in test situations.

That wait for her to do something showed the examinor that you were unsure, and second guessing.

If you maybe moved off straight away when she let you through (if she gave you right of way, then you could have gone), then you would have been ok.

You definitely shouldn't have had to wait, you had been given right of way there, so there was nothing wrong with moving off.

Still though, congrats!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

passed mine in woodsview Limerick today. Nice fella :D.
    Got stuck at one point. He told me to turn left and when i started manouver a bugger just flew from opposite side and tried to turn right before me. Although i had right to proceed I braked just in case he won't stop. Finally he realised, stopped and waved me to proceed first. After i passed I asked tester, he said you did the right thing. 'Although you had right to proceed but you did right thing by braking inbetween and waiting for signal from him to avoid confusion'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 okarm26

Passed 1st time today in Wilton , 4 grade 2s . Tester was actually really sound + Didn't go near Wilton or Sarsfield Rd about .

When leaving the Test centre we took a right turn towards Togher and headed up towards Ballypheane/Turners Cross area. When coming back we went down Pouladuff Rd and onto the South Link back to Test centre .

Cheers to all the input from this forum , some really good tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 technoman

Passed mine in Galway the last day, 17 year old male first attempt, was delighted. 4 grade ones and 2 grades twos, not too bad. I was only driving for about 20 mins and there was no traffic at all. Now i'm just waiting for the licence to come in the post, ugh 5 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Passed mine today first time in Wilton (Cork City) and wait for the best bit.............. absolutely no as like zilch faults of any grade think I'll frame the test sheet.. had a tester named Liam an absolute gent ;) Talked away all the way through the entire test between his instructions not the formal school teacher stereotype I had expected at all it felt like just another lesson... Went and got my new pinky straight away over the counter in Bishopstown!

A big thanks to everyone on here but especially to Donegalfella for the advise on my very first post seems like only yesterday ;) and a really big thanks for the advise via PM from Driveskill, and to Brian076, drivinginfo etc etc to many to mention..;)

Oooh and hello to anyone that knows me can you play Jimi Hendrix's Crosstown Traffic :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Passed mine on Tuesday in Wicklow Town.
    Got 3 Grade 1's
    Got 7 Grade 2's (3 of which were progress on the straight)
    Quite lucky then I suppose.

Advertisement