Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

YAY!!!! Passed this morning in Wicklow. I'm over the moon about it. Was shaking to begin with, but managed to forget that the testing officer was an actual tester, not a passenger. Have applied for my license already.

Time to party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cornertalk

I know I'm a bit late posting this but have been mad busy the past month!

Passed mine last month in Westside in Galway after 3 attempts! Really thought I had failed it though because I made a shambles of my turnabout (bumped the curb) and reverse round corner (wide)! I had to do them 5 minutes into the test and it was the narrowest place I'd ever seen so was sweating buckets doing it! Got taken through dominick street and father griffin road around salthill and up the hill at taylors hill which was a menace because all the kids were just back at school that day and there were cars parked on both sides of the road so I had to crawl up the road as there were cars coming in the opposite direction too and it was so narrow! I was so afraid I'd hit something!

I came back though and managed to park the car right (those spaces that they drew in over there are so tight!) and I went in and he said I had passed, I couldn't believe it!!

Have my licence now so happy out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

two weeks ago in Naas, second run around,

i have a fail post in the un-successful thread.

my first tester which failed me who was very strict is now gone ! :D

tall, kinda grey hair with glasses gone :D

this time round i only got 2 grade 2's, one for reaction to hazard and another competently reversing around a corner, i was a bit too close to the curb, if i had left a slightly bigger gap i would have perfected it.

tester this time was a new dude and he didnt know the area very well, he had said. bald on top, kinda small chap and he wouldnt stop drying his head cos of sweat, very easy tester, let me away with a few things,

before reversing around the corner i put the left mirror down to face the ground but i forgot to put it back after doing the turn and had to stop while driving the road :o

he was asking me was i ok, did i need a drink or anything, he didnt mind and let me away with it :)

sound bloke and a great pass :D

it did not feel like 40 mins at all !

it was a tuesday morning in naas at about 11:05 and traffic was quiet enough :)

so happy :D:D:D

actually guys, i did not use the company under the test center, you all know the company. PM me if you would like to know my instructor, he was brilliant :D Great car too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Passed it this morning in Limerick. Got my learners permit on at the end of March this year. Only started driving on the main roads in mid-July, was getting lessons before that. Was barely over the six months limit. Knew I had a chance if things went my way, but was a bit pessimistic. Thought I had failed when we got back to the testing centre. Seven grade two faults, so it was a close run thing. Fecking delighted. Took twenty lessons altogether, doubt I would have done it without that many. Very good driving instructor. And very nice tester. They seem to come in for alot of flack here but this guy was sound out. Very professional and detached, but you could see he was really nice person underneath. I knew I would get a fair crack at passing with him and that put me at ease somewhat. I'd say he might have overlooked a few borderline Grade 2's as well, because I honestly didn't think I had passed. My nerves were getting the better of me at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

And very nice tester. They seem to come in for alot of flack here but this guy was sound out. Very professional and detached, but you could see he was really nice person underneath.

Funnily enough its usually in the "Unsuccessful" section that the testers get the flack but anyway :rolleyes:

I passed 1st time but I HATED my tester. This was back in February and I found him to be an awful stuck up arrogant <snip> who I hoped to never meet again. Before and after the test he wouldn't even bother to look at me while he was talking and spoke in a very impatient/fed up/disinterested tone.

I HATED him! But then, I met him about two weeks ago, purely by chance in a shop, and he seemed to remember me. "Oh no..." I thought as he approached me. But much to my surprise he was actually quite friendly! Asked me how I was getting on with the driving and chatted away to me for two odd minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Passed this morning in Tallaght!!! 2nd attempt.
    Really happy. Was convinced I failed but yeah, relieved now. Thanks to everyone on here for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

i PASSED this morning in tallaght :D Failed last time with 14 grade 2's and 1 grade 3 in Wicklow town. Decided i'd try the urban area which i've had more practice on. Booked a few pretests with a driving instructor highly recommended on this forum and he helped a lot. I only got 2 grade 2's today so it was great that it was nearly a clean sheet. I am sooo happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

jaffa20 wrote: »
    i PASSED this morning in tallaght :D Failed last time with 14 grade 2's and 1 grade 3 in Wicklow town. Decided i'd try the urban area which i've had more practice on. Booked a few pretests with a driving instructor highly recommended on this forum and he helped a lot. I only got 2 grade 2's today so it was great that it was nearly a clean sheet. I am sooo happy :D
    Blonde girl in the waiting room? :D Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

passed the cat C test. 7 marks :) **** it that was close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ush1 wrote: »
    Blonde girl in the waiting room? :D Well done!

Nope i'm a guy last time i checked. I had it in the afternoon. Well done to you too.:D Testers are all very nice in tallaght. A lot more laid back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

Passed my coach test yesterday in finglas, first time, got a blue for reaction to hazard, one for gears(went for 1st and came off the clutch with a bang) one for mirrors turning left. got 3 blue for signals on a roundabout, instructor told me not to signal right when taking the 2 exit off the roundabouts, so i listened to him, should have done what every other instructor over the years told me and done it, one more roundabout and i was gone! but over all im happy with the result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Congrats to everyone who had recently pass their test. I did mine in March 2007 in a Churchtown, it was my first attempt, I even wanted to postponed, i.e I was only droving for a 4 month. When I went to the test centre, (i was doing with my car) I realized that wash screen wasn't working!! The driving instructor who was tasting me fail a girl before me, I thought that there was no chance for me to pass, even I was praying that the test should finish fast. I did Lots of mistakes. I remember even instructor asked me to try wipers, and I told hem that I can't touch it because I've just replace the windscreen and not supposed to wash for one day! He then laughed and said that what of if rain going to fall:eek:? Then I look at him and didn't have anything to answer. Thank goodness he told me to go on. And then I was nervous and couldn't start car several times, it was nightmare:D. And when we drove back to the centre he didn't say a word to me, until we've got inside. Then he took green cert and gave me to sign and then told me congrats that I've passed test! I was over the moon!! I thought I was dreaming, what a wonderful experience I went true:D. I think everything depends on a driving instructor, some of them didn't penalize you for the silly mistakes.

And my husband went 5 times!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Passed today in Mullingar.

4th time doing the test so obviously was delighted! Nice route, nice tester too.

Good luck everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Congrats to everyone who had recently pass their test. I did mine in March 2007 in a Churchtown, it was my first attempt, I even wanted to postponed, i.e I was only droving for a 4 month. When I went to the test centre, (i was doing with my car) I realized that wash screen wasn't working!! The driving instructor who was tasting me fail a girl before me, I thought that there was no chance for me to pass, even I was praying that the test should finish fast. I did Lots of mistakes. I remember even instructor asked me to try wipers, and I told hem that I can't touch it because I've just replace the windscreen and not supposed to wash for one day! He then laughed and said that what of if rain going to fall:eek:? Then I look at him and didn't have anything to answer. Thank goodness he told me to go on. And then I was nervous and couldn't start car several times, it was nightmare:D. And when we drove back to the centre he didn't say a word to me, until we've got inside. Then he took green cert and gave me to sign and then told me congrats that I've passed test! I was over the moon!! I thought I was dreaming, what a wonderful experience I went true:D. I think everything depends on a driving instructor, some of them didn't penalize you for the silly mistakes.

And my husband went 5 times!!!

nice story there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lynchpin

Passed yesterday in Waterford on my 5th attempt with only 3 grade two marks.

What a relief! It was my fourth test since the end of May. The other 3 tests were in Finglas where I got 1 automatic fail in each and around 7 or 8 grade two marks.

My first test was in Waterford around 3 years ago where I got around 17 grade two marks.

So best of luck to everyone about to sit the test. It's not the end of the world if you fail...just keep the chin up and try again. Don't give up, you will get it in the end.

If anyone wants the name of the absolute fantastic instructor I had in Waterford then feel free to PM me.

EDIT - Also thanks to everyone here for the fantastic advice. I never posted in this forum before but I have read it practically every day since May for inspiration and motivation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

whoop! passed my test today in navan! three grade twos and one grade one! yeay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 XoXMascaraXoX

YAY ME!! passed first time in Sligo RSA. I had the nicest instructor of the bunch! his body language sitting in my car wa sooo calming and assuring. My reverse, turnabout and hill start(or in my case should i say 'wee little slope start' lol) was like unexpectingly perfect, i was soo worried bout them before the test. Iv some things to work on with roundabouts but i'm sure ill perfect it in no time. I was like expecting a stiff murrafuka starrring me down and not blinking etc. It was an absolute shocka, he was like "there is no need to start shaking you passed" i was like "really?!, are u SERIOUS!" he was like "ya ya sit down (nice voice, with a smile)". i was jumping around the whole place! only been driving properly since april. Absolutly delighted, bestest(i know its not a real word) feeling EVER, way better than the leaving cert! such a huge relief don't have to go through that again. Mummy and Daddy would be proud! xx :):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Passed this morning in Wilton, Cork. First time, just driving since July.

Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Passed today in Athlone :D:D:D:D

Delighted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Passed in Ballina today. Absolutely delighted. Tester was lovely and put me at ease. Can's wait to drive by myself now....legally at least!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Passed this morning in Raheny - second time lucky! I just about scraped it through with 8 grade twos (although 2 were ones I hadn't gotten the first time during the turnabout and I'm not sure they were warranted). Almost can't believe it. :)

[edit]
    On further thought, the grade 2 for turnabout competency might have been helped by the lack of power steering on my old banger... the first time I did it in my instructor's nice 08 Fiesta...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

Just passed my C licence today in wicklow. I started driving hgv's on the 2nd of september. Thank God i didnt have to do the cpc. The Tester was excellent, i know they get a bashing here........(and as i used to be one with sgs) He was polite and courteous and put me at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

driverite wrote: »
    Just passed my C licence today in wicklow. I started driving hgv's on the 2nd of september. Thank God i didnt have to do the cpc. The Tester was excellent, i know they get a bashing here........(and as i used to be one with sgs) He was polite and courteous and put me at ease

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

woot woot passed today in Finglas. Third time lucky. It feels so damn gooood :D

cant help but feeling the whole system is a sham though. So quick rant on rsa before I celebrate fully.

The three tests I did I got errors for totally different things. First person was all about positioning on the road, second one observation and lastly a few reactions to hazards. They all seem to focus on their own particular things or maybe I was just changing my driving style each time, but I dont think so.

I also got the feeling one of the testers had failed me before gettting into the car, just because I am a young male driver. if they want to fail you , they will have no problem doing it no matter how good a driver you are.

You have to be a decent driver to pass but I also believe that you have to get a certain amount of luck too.

RSA say that each test costs them €120 to run, how the fook is this possible? Admin should be done by mostly computer, if done solely by humans, most it should cost anyway is €10 to schedule the test. What do you think the actual tester are on, at most I would guess €40-50 an hour.
    I really would love an explanation.:confused:

anyway no need to worry about them anymore just have to hand over a litlle more cash for a pathetic laminated licence and I am done with them.
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Burner- wrote: »
    woot woot passed today in Finglas. Third time lucky. It feels so damn gooood :D

cant help but feeling the whole system is a sham though. So quick rant on rsa before I celebrate fully.

The three tests I did I got errors for totally different things. First person was all about positioning on the road, second one observation and lastly a few reactions to hazards. They all seem to focus on their own particular things or maybe I was just changing my driving style each time, but I dont think so.
    Yeah mine was similar - I did drive better, but a lot of things didn't really change yet didn't show up even as grade 1s on my second test.

Also I got away with some stupid things like getting all set to do a hill start (usually no problem in my car with a slightly forgiving clutch), checked mirrors and over my shoulder, had biting point and a tiny bit of throttle, then let the handbrake down and rolled back two inches before braking and noticing that I'd left the car in neutral. Duh. :)
    Actually if he was to give me a grade 2 for that, what heading would it come under? I did get one grade 2 for gears, which could have been that.

Looking forward to ironing out the rest of my driving faults over time! Congrats BTW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dotka

Just few hours left to my test today. Doing it for the 2nd time now. Hoping to post here later today. I have a very good instructor and I think I am a good driver, but I stress too much. Hope to calm down before my pretest and stay calm for the test. Can't wait applying for my full licence... Have almost all the documents ready & hope to get the missing one today. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Passed today in Rathgar with only 3 grade 2s after failing my first time with 14, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

passed this morning in raheny, nice tester and I was lucky. Very nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dotka

Passed this afternoon in Raheny! The tester was soooo nice and he managed to put me at ease. I got 4 grades 2, but I blame my nerves for it. Soooo happy!! Cannot believe I will soon get my full licence! Also had a great instructor who prepared me very well for the test. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

Passed today in Ennis and I have to say my tester was really lovely and set my nerves at ease :)

Also, I want to say a very big thank you to those who answered my posts and helped me along the way. You always responded quickly and with really helpful advice and I really appreciate it!

That's the end of my oscar speech...off to celebrate :)

Advertisement