Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

cosmic wrote: »
    Passed today in Tallaght! It was my first time and I've only been driving about 5 and a half months. I'm so so happy! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the helpful posts, I've learned a lot from being on here. Hurrah!
    Well done! I was thinking about your test today! (you tend to do that with people who've been learning the same time as yourself on the forum):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Well done! I was thinking about your test today

Ah, thank you so much! I'm delighted :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well done! I came online to check how you went. ;)

spurious wrote: »
    Well done! I came online to check how you went. ;)

Thanks! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Congratulations!

When I was preparing for / doing my test, I was always thinking about people doing theirs at the same time as me. I remember af_thefragile had his first and second tests at around the same times as I had my two tests!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Passed in Raheny this morning, 6 grade 2 faults.

Shows what difference a change of tester can make, I posted this in March.
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Had my first test today.

Wow, had no clue they ask you about hand signals during the test, had 10 lessons with three different instructors and not one of them mentioned this to me :rolleyes:

Got two mark 3's, one for not giving right of way (the car to my right was very far away,he would not have to slow down, and he still marked me)

And another for observations at cross junctions? not sure what I did wrong there?

I got 4 mark 2's for observation when turning right...looked in my right mirror, I looked left and right on the road...what am I doing wrong?

Also I got three mark 2's for reaction to hazards, what are classed as hazards? because I don't remember seeing any. edit: seen the above post :)

28 mark 2 faults, and my instructor said I was fine :(

From 28 grade 2's and 3 grade 3's to just 6 grade 2's in 5 months. Either I miraculously became a good driver or the first tester was having a bad day.

From 28 grade 2's and 3 grade 3's to just 6 grade 2's in 5 months. Either I miraculously became a good driver or the first tester was having a bad day.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it?!

You'd be surprised at how much your driving can develop in 5 months though, I was only learning 5 months when I passed mine. I'm sure it's nothing to do with the tester - give yourself some credit, you did well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Booyakasha! Passed first time in Finglas (driving on provisional/permit for a long time, kept cancelling out of fear).

During the test, I hesitated at lights, waited for the filter right light when I should have moved up on the green light, my mind just froze and i didn't know what to do, notched up 2 grade twos for that, 7 in total.

I really thought I'd failed because she brought me back to the test centre right after that happened and noone else was back from their tests. I nearly jumped across the table and hugged her when she gave me my cert.

My instructor was fantastic and he got me really used to the area and out of years of bad habits. PM me if anyone wants to know :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mojesius wrote: »
    Booyakasha! Passed first time in Finglas (driving on provisional/permit for a long time, kept cancelling out of fear).

During the test, I hesitated at lights, waited for the filter right light when I should have moved up on the green light, my mind just froze and i didn't know what to do, notched up 2 grade twos for that, 7 in total.

I really thought I'd failed because she brought me back to the test centre right after that happened and noone else was back from their tests. I nearly jumped across the table and hugged her when she gave me my cert.

My instructor was fantastic and he got me really used to the area and out of years of bad habits. PM me if anyone wants to know :cool:

lol, its a great feeling, you'll be buzzing for a few days

Well done, just remeber though, you'll never stop learning.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well done, sometimes it can just come down to the tester, after my first test my instructer had to look at my test sheet a few times to see where i failed, commented if it was another day or another tester, i might have passed. Went from 12 grade 2s to 3 or 4 grade 2s about 5 weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coldcake

Passed today in Raheny second time round. Only one blue this time down from 18 last time. This time I just ignored the fact that the test was coming up and took no lessons and passed with no problem. Last time I took lessons before the test the instructor really shattered my confidence. This time I just watched the Irish school of motoring DVD and found this much better than any in car lessons. My advice is to take it easy and relax and drive like normal.

Some things that helped me:
    Speed bumps if not too high 3rd gear at around 30kph, if high 2nd gear and slow down.

Role into first at tee junctions and most corners take in second unless open corner, you can take these in third.

Still at the start of my driving life so will still take it easy and will keep learning.

So if you fail don't worry just book again and face it with a smile.

Thanks to everyone here for all the advice and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

coldcake wrote: »
    This time I just ignored the fact that the test was coming up and took no lessons and passed with no problem. Last time I took lessons before the test the instructor really shattered my confidence. This time I just watched the Irish school of motoring DVD and found this much better than any in car lessons. My advice is to take it easy and relax and drive like normal.

Pretty much the same here! I did one lesson with another instructor, then spent the rest of the time driving occasionally with my ma and watching English driving videos on Youtube. Indeed the more relaxed you are, the better you drive! Congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Passed in Raheny today, after failing it twice (3rd times the charm ;) )

Only difference this time around preparing for the test, was that I got out at least once a day in the car. Nothing beats real practice!!

Woooooooo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Sinemo wrote: »
    Passed in Raheny today, after failing it twice (3rd times the charm ;) )

Only difference this time around preparing for the test, was that I got out at least once a day in the car. Nothing beats real practice!!

Woooooooo :D
    Congrats!

Its been said alot on here, and it is true IMO, what gets you passed the test is practice practice practice! If you display an air of confidence, you are more likely to pass! (once you have the fundamentals right)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sleuthy

Passed today in Tallaght. Second time round and absolutely over the moon. Had a relatively sound guy and got 2 greens. Last time I had 12 blues so it was a welcome departure. If I can pass, anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Second time round and passed in Tullamore!! I am absolutely delighted!! I had 5 blues and 2 greens as opposed to 12 blues the first time! What a great feeling! :D

Practice, practice and practice some more and you WILL pass!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

I passed yesterday in wilton! yipeee!
    I had 6 blues. I had 23 on 1st test and 13 on 2nd. What made the difference was loads of practice and changing instructor when preparing for this test. He was firm but fair- I had let a lot of things slip and he picked up on all my mistakes and pulled me up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Passed!!! 2nd attempt today. Got three grade 2s. I am over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Well Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Wow passed today on my second time doing it.

First time got 9 grade 2's and 1 grade 3. :(

Although second time doing it I got refused because my L plate fell off on the journey to the test centre :mad:

But then passed this morning.

How happy am I :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Passed today. Only driving a month and never took any professional lessons. Today was really just an attempt to see how i would do on it so i would know what to expect if i had to repeat it. Only got 1 blue mark on observation turning right. And i know exactly where it was. I turned right at a junction and just before turning i adjusted the sun visor as i got blinded by the sun and never checked my right side mirror.

A lot easier than i expected. Friends were making it out to be a nightmare. Was only out about 20 minutes which was a surprise as i expected 40. At the end the tester couldn't believe i'd only been driving since end of July. Delighted to get it out of the way and not be restricted by the learner rules. Been a long time coming as i first applied for my license back in 2006 but never got around to learning to drive and then left Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

just passed there in churchtown! was my 3rd time doing it, first time in tallaght got a grade 3 and 8 grade 2's, the second time i did it in churchtown i got 9 grade 2's (Grrrrr annoying!) and then today i got 4 grade 2's! absolutely delighted! no more L plates for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Congrats to everyone who passed, the situation of the test is sometimes more daunting than the actual driving. Mine is Friday so wish me luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Good Luck UpTheSlashers! You're right, in my first test my nerves got to me. I made a mistake straight away and then lost my nerve and fell apart and messed up loads of times. The mistake was only a grade 2- so remember if you do make a mistake put it behind you and move on, you can still pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

I guess some people will be getting R plates for a while.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

ADIDriving wrote: »
    I guess some people will be getting R plates for a while.:(

I don't think that will come in until April 2011 from what I can take from the RSA's press release and email.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Passed my test in Churchtown today. 2nd time doing it, although if I'm honest I wasn't prepared at all the 1st time round. I had a Pre-test yesterday and it really helped alot! I'd suggest anyone going for a test do one. There's so many things I got cleared up before today.

Went really well, the instructor was very relaxed throughout the whole thing which made it so much easier! Congrats to all those who've recently passed, I now know how you feel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Congrats, its wonderful having a pink license at last but remember the learning never stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Best of luck UptheSlashers. I passed this evening in Carlow, yay! Again 3's the charm. 5 blues as opposed to 16 the first and 13 and a red the second time, I'm over the moon. Congrats to everyone else who passed lately, jeez but it's euphoric! I'm still floating. Thanks to everyone on this thread and the unsuccessful one too, I've been lurking for ages but have always found the information and encouragement here fantastic. And all the best to those with tests yet to come :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

Just passed in Naas!:D

Advertisement