Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 limeflower

Passed my test yesterday in Tallaght, 4 grade 2s! Delighted.
    Don't have my own car to practise, just took lessons. Instructor was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

Passed today in Churchtown!!!!:D:D absolutely delighted and relieved as it was my 5th attempt:eek:. Got 6 grade 2s, never give up people!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

FirePower wrote: »
    Passed today in Churchtown!!!!:D:D absolutely delighted and relieved as it was my 5th attempt:eek:. Got 6 grade 2s, never give up people!

Fair play to you, I think I'm going to be following in your footsteps though.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Son, aged 17, driving since May, just passed his test in Churchtown, 1st time.

Superb driving instructor pm for details

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Passed first time in Ennis! (well second but the brake lights failed the first time). Only had to wait 2 weeks between the first and second test. I got 23 lessons because I had to share the car with my mum but rarely got people to come with me.

Got 3 grade 2's. One for the reverse around the corner (made a dogs dinner of it), one for gears (car slipped out of gear on the hill start) and one for turning left (clipped the kerb a slight bit).

Was really delighted when I passed because I feel ancient at 25 years old!

If anyone needs the name of a really good instructor in Ennis pm me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Passed my category A there last Thursday! No faults in Tallaght!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Passed my category A there last Thursday! No faults in Tallaght!

Fair play. Is it hard?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Fair play. Is it hard?
    Hard to say really, I wouldn't say it is particularly difficult, it just focuses on more different aspects of your driving than the B1 category does (e.g. a lot more emphasis on your positioning but you don't have to be so precise with your gear selection, whether to stop in neutral or 1st gear etc as the tester follows you in a car and can't see everything you're doing.)
    I was already very comfortable riding my bike when going for the test, having had it for 2 years and another bike beforehand for a year and I also got 2x 3 hr lessons the week beforehand.
    That said I also spend a lot more time reading about and researching bike riding (techniques, protective gear etc) than I do about car driving as it's inherently a more dangerous mode of transport so I tend to take it more seriously.
    If you get nervous easily you will probably find the bike test easier as you aren't so much aware of being under scrutiny during the test as you don't have an examiner sitting in the passenger seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Passed in Wilton today! It was my second attempt and only 3 grade 2s! Two for Speeding (ironic as I was told last time that I drove too slow) and one for progress, I didn't realise that a light had turned green.

It was a huge improvement from 13 grade 2s last time. I started driving on my own alot more often and my instructor and I think that is how I improved so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Motorbike theory done and passed today,thank god.

• Advertisement

Motorbike theory done and passed today,thank god.

Good man, what are you getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Good man, what are you getting?

Thanks a million........ i dont know what im getting to be honest.
    The only thing i do know is i will do the test on a 250,( i belive this is the right thing to do)restricted of course.

The bike i get will have to be one where its handy enough to handle around town and city traffic.i plan to move abroad in the future so this is where the bike will be used daily.for now im keeping an eye on the bikers forum and getting ideas from the guys there....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Have been lurking around this forum since I applied for my test.

Got it today!!

Only one blue mark and that was for hitting the kerb on my reverse around the corner.

So I'd just like to say to anyone that is still waiting to do theirs just be calm and confident and you'll be grand. It was my first time and I was very nervous but it was grand!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bazmedic

Passed first time in Tallaght this afternoon. I'm pretty chuffed with myself right now :cool:
    Have to say thanks to all who contribute to this forum, the advice given is great and really helped me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭johnbobtheslob

Have been lurking around this forum for a couple weeks now. Passed my test in Tipperary town today on my first go. Absolutely delighted :) Only got one driving lesson and drove around the town for a few hours. Its an easy enough rout. Big thanks to drivingtips.ie got an awful amount of useful tips from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Passed second time in Tuam this morning! Have to say the tester was lovely, he really put me at ease, and even had a joke after the test with me! So happy I can take down the loser plates now :D:D:D! I was driving a lot more like myself today and not the person I thought they wanted as I did in my first one, and it worked :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Passed second time in Tuam this morning! Have to say the tester was lovely, he really put me at ease, and even had a joke after the test with me! So happy I can take down the loser plates now :D:D:D! I was driving a lot more like myself today and not the person I thought they wanted as I did in my first one, and it worked :)!

Well done second time round :D
    Might see you driving around Tuam at the weekends and not know it :P

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    So happy I can take down the loser plates now :D:D:D!

Well done! Nice choice of words though....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Passed today in Gorey! :):):)

First time....can't quite believe it!! Best feeling in the world :D

I've been lurking around this forum for about 18 months picking up all kinds of little bits of info and tips (even though I've barely ever posted) so a quick thank you must go to Alanstrainor, Donegalfella, Brian076, Faith+1, Wishbone Ash, Timbuk2 and everyone else who have tried to help out learners. It really does make a big difference. Thanks again :)

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Passed today in Gorey! :):):)

Congrats Nyum! Time to rip them L plates!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

Passed today in Tralee, first attempt :D

Only got one grade 2, was the only mark on the sheet :p

Had a great instructor and <SNIP> was very helpful as well.
    If anyone wants to know the info for a great instructor around the Tralee area please pm me!

The combination of an ADI and the <SNIP> website practically mean you can't fail.

Another tip i would also recommend is to use Google Street View along possible test routes so you can
    get an overview for the stop signs and roundabouts etc if you are unsure the night before.

Best of luck to everyone else and safe motoring ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭beamer-89

Passed today in Tallaght, first time! :)

Only being driving since July but had a great instructor and picked up lots of tips and help from this forum and drivingtestips.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6 United4life

Passed yesterday in Mallow. My second time. Failed my first time in Clonmel with 18 grade 2's. Got 6 yes so I'm delighted. Its all about pratice. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Passed first time in Gorey, 2 grade 2 faults, 4 grade 1. Am thrilled because i got roasted in the two pretests I had last night and this morning. Thrilled to bits :)

L plates handed over to sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Passed on Tuesday in Raheny - first time too :)
    Am still in complete shock as was convinced I had failed. I had a run in on a very very narrow road with a big recycling truck and the tester had to tell me to pull in. I figured if the tester had to help me then I was doomed for sure. But I got away with a few grade 2's from it but not enough to fail! Made me certain that the testers arent out to fail ya!
    Still cant believe it...!

Thanks to everyone for all the help on boards.ie, it was a huge help for me and calmed me hearing everyone elses experiences with driving :)
    Good luck to everyone out there learning - you'll get there in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Passed today on my third time. Ill be in college during the week so would i be able to send someone in to the motor tax office to get my license or do i have to be there myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Was so looking forward to writing this here:D

Passed today in woodview with two grade blues, actually over
    the moon was my first time and had done 4lessons so was quite worried
    but got there!!

L plates no more woo:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Congrats everyone!

When I passed my test, I had to keep the L-Plates on the car because my brother was, and is still, learning to drive. Which was a pity because I had watched a video the day before on the internet about how to attach explosives to L Plates and blow up the L Plates - the ultimate feeling of satisfaction :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Congrats everyone!

When I passed my test, I had to keep the L-Plates on the car because my brother was, and is still, learning to drive. Which was a pity because I had watched a video the day before on the internet about how to attach explosives to L Plates and blow up the L Plates - the ultimate feeling of satisfaction :p

Would like to look at that video :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Buttercup18

passed on thursday on my first attempt!! I was sure I was going to fail because I only took three lessons in my life and I was coasting too much on the accelerator and not looking in my mirrors enough!! but managed to come out with 3 grade 1s and 4 grade 2s delighted!!

Advertisement