Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

Passed yesterday morning.
    Had a few lessons last summer and bought a car in January and did a few more lessons..

Passed first time in Kilkenny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Passed today in Wilton, my second attempt. Thought for sure I had failed so I still can't believe it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 UnwiseDuckling

Passed! :D
    Woohoo! First go as well in Newcastle west as well! Got 6 blues and 1 green, this forum was so helpful!:D thank you!
    Also this is my first post! Its my day of firsts!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Passed today on my 4th(!) attempt!!

1st time was 7 years ago on the Rathgar route, was a nervous 18 year old and made a balls of it tbh.

2nd time was a few years later on the "Dun Laoghaire" route (when they had done some temporary outsourcing), and I really was robbed by an anonymous bus driver who I'll never forgive..!

3rd time was in March this year on the Churchtown route, was very upset about the failure as I thought the reason was very unfair, especially because at this stage I'd been driving seven years without incident and certainly considered myself a good and safe driver.

Today I returned to the Rathgar route, and can finally hold my head high!

:):):):):):):):)

Edit:
    Just saw this:
    rachos89 wrote:
    Note to self: book test for Monday morning :P
    I'd advise anyone to try not to get a Saturday, especially on a route with narrow residential roads, as the increased amount of parked cars can be a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Passed today on my 4th(!) attempt!!

1st time was 7 years ago on the Rathgar route, was a nervous 18 year old and made a balls of it tbh.

2nd time was a few years later on the "Dun Laoghaire" route (when they had done some temporary outsourcing), and I really was robbed by an anonymous bus driver who I'll never forgive..!

3rd time was in March this year on the Churchtown route, was very upset about the failure as I thought the reason was very unfair, especially because at this stage I'd been driving seven years without incident and certainly considered myself a good and safe driver.

Today I returned to the Rathgar route, and can finally hold my head high!

:):):):):):):):)

Great feeling isn't it! Fair play to you for sticking at it. Was three times at it myself before I passed!

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement

Passed earlier in Churchtown, 2nd time round. Got 8 Grade 1s and 6 Grade 2s. Cut out during the turnabout too, but didn't let it get to me.

Quite a nice feeling taking the l-plates off the car I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Passed today after 6 years of driving, it was my 2nd attempt.

First time was a joke was in the car an hour an a half done in Clondalkin.

This time Done it in Tallaght was in the car half an hour and passed not a bother happy days, now heres hoping my insurance takes a nice dip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Niamh_Cush

passed first time today in galway :) delighted only 2greens!this forum was such a help in the last while so thank u :) good luck to anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

Passed my catergy c test today with only 3 grade 2 faults,in Finglas
    also passed my cpc. DELIGHTED:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Social34

Was ready to post today at the unsuccesful thread :o but the miracle has happend!!! I have passed after 4 absolutelly horrible atempts! I'm a good driver usually but under test conditions I'm surprised I havent hit something!! :rolleyes: Had an absolute winner of an instructor too! I am now a full licensed driver! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Passed my Category C test today...........tfft ! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I finally made it to here. that is all. im just soooooooooo happy. cause i value my driving and would been gutted. now i would like to do an emmy. i would like to thank me driving instructor and my driving examiner and ..... ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Any Port

Any tips from the successfull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thesparkyhound

Any Port wrote: »
    My tips would include
    - Driving pretty lively. Being too slow seems to be a big no no
    - Err on the side of caution and its better to be a little too wide reversing around the corner than clipping the kerb and picking up a grade 3.
    - Observation is key but they'll get ya for too much observation also
    - Hope that some maniac doesnt happen to be in the same place at the same time as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

My tips would include
    - Driving pretty lively. Being too slow seems to be a big no no
    - Err on the side of caution and its better to be a little too wide reversing around the corner than clipping the kerb and picking up a grade 3.
    - Observation is key but they'll get ya for too much observation also
    - Hope that some maniac doesnt happen to be in the same place at the same time as you!

Would 2nd that, there is skill and tuition needed to pass the test, but luck on the day us also a massive part.

You can end up with an idiot driver failing your test for you.

Most of all, just stay calm and drive as your instructor has taught you. Try and relax before the test by going for a nice calm drive with your instructor. Don't do any mock tests or anything, as this wll just get you wound up!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DaSchmo

Passed first time on Friday in Churchtown, 6 Gr1s and 6 Gr2s.

Reversed round the corner, got around perfectly about 1ft away from the kerb then when I was past it I ended up hitting the bloody thing. Was raging and assumed I had got a grade 3 for it and drove around for the next 20 mins assuming I had failed.

As it turned out I got one grade two for reversing round the corner (and also one on the turnabout for the same thing) for going too slowly when doing both. Was actually advised in my pretest to do it as slowly as possible but the tester seemed to think otherwise.

Think my other four grade 2s were for right hand turn (one junction was a little dodgy), on the straight (suspect too close to centre / wrong side of road), depressing the clutch too early on the corners and also one for stopping (not sure what this was for, suspect before the line)

Was thrilled to hear that I had passed at the end anyway after my incident round the corner. Tester said he let me away with it as other than that my observation was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I passed in Kilkenny yesterday. Got a few more grade 2s than I would have liked, which I put mostly down to nerves, as I know what I did wrong for most of them. Not a regular poster in this forum, but reading this thread was a great confidence booster. Good luck to everyone else doing the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Passed today in finglas first atempt Never posted in thies section but i read alot of it was dying to post in here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Passed today, 3rd time lucky, I must admit I was ready to give up if I hadn't passed today. I find it so stressful!! Some rescue remedy and deep breathing before the test helped me to chill. I found this forum very useful especially when I started off so thanks to everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Passed in Raheny 9:15 today. 2 grade 2s for hitting speed bumps in Edenmore a bit too hard - they're really steep, I knew exactly when I picked these up! Had to crawl over the rest of them. 2 grade 2s for position turning right. 1 grade 2 for footbrake, not too sure about when I got that one. 2 grade 2s for clutch - I coasted a little on two turns when I should have continued on in second gear - turning left at junctions that didn't need a full stop but I was unfamiliar with the roads and probably being overcautious (I'm 30 weeks pregnant and pretty cautious about even walking at the moment!).

Questions at test centre - continuous white line, rules for junction box, what does amber light after green mean. Road signs - crossing warden, no entry, no right turn, series of dangerous bends ahead, two way traffic.
    Questions on engine - show brake fluid, oil, windscreen wash but no need to demonstrate any of them as engine is hot. Use brake light, front and back indicators.

Questions on controls - hazard lights, windscreen demister.

Route was take a right to take us down past garda station, right down Watermill Road to traffic lights, left at traffic lights up hill in village (needs hillstart), straight through up Station Road hill past Raheny dart station, down hill, left at trafiic lights into Springdale Road. Second right here into housing estate (not that tricky first right at the funeral home/hospital entrance). Into the estate a bit then reversing around a corner here. A lot of mini roundabouts and left and right turns, some quite hard to see around. Turnabout on a quiet road beside a green - ok to do in 3 but not huge. More lefts and rights through estate, some at Stop signs, mostly at Yield signs. I felt like a lot of this was quite slow because of so many turns and junctions, was worried that I would be marked down for failure to progress but was ok.

Ended up out on Moatfield Road out onto the Tonlegee Road before taking a right turn back onto Springdale Road, which we then pretty much stayed on until the end (loads more mini roundabouts, took a left at one but then a right and left back out onto Sprindale Road again, think I did my hill start demo here but the road wasn't really steep - had already had a few hill starts coming through Raheny village at the traffic lights and Dart Station), taking a right back onto Station Road, then a right at the big hatched junction in Raheny Village - I just missed the filter light here but had a green and after one car passing was able to get through easily enough just before the green turned yellow but I think I picked up one of my turning right faults here. Left after the shops back onto Watermill Road, Second right at Manor House back up Watermill Drive to test centre - he had me take one of the left turns St Anne's Avenue I think, and park.

Tester was really nice, very relaxed - put me at ease talking about weather on the way to car from test centre, very pleasant giving me results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

That's a very helpful post emmiou! I could hardly remember any of the test route or questions after I passed mine.
    Congrats on the win! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

Thanks, had been dreading it but think it was very fair. Picked up a lot of useful info on this forum so am glad to be to contribute at last! Hand signals were to indicate turning right and slowing down to a car behind. Turnabout was at 53.389445,-6.186516 back out onto Tonlegee Drive and the reverse around a corner was possibly either here 53.386017,-6.182503 off Edenmore Grove or here 53.387886,-6.18479 off Edenmore Avenue, I'm not sure which one it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 StevieTheAssin

EriT wrote: »
    Passed today in finglas first atempt Never posted in thies section but i read alot of it was dying to post in here

what was your route in finglas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Woohoooo! Passed 2 hours ago in Churchstown.I failed once in Finglas and twice in Rathgar.Finally passed on my fourth attempt.
    The route is excellent, wheather was perfect and everything went smooth.I got 3 blue signs for reaction to hazard, moving off(On my side were parked cars, and i stoped to let the other cars on my front to come, but when i moved, i forgot to check blindspots), and for progress.
    Don`t forget to always CHECK YOUR BLIND SPOTS. Especially when you move off from a ramp or at traffic lights, always check mirrors, even if you go straight.
    The tester was excellent, and explained everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 seanot123

passed in galway with only 1 grade 2. was so sickened to get it because it was for the reversing. i always reverse very well and during the test i came out too wide and had to pull it back in during straightening up. embarassing to say the least but im absoloutely delighted to have passed. it was my second time doing the test, did it years ago when i was 17 and hadnt any sense. had 4 lessons the two days before my test and one on the morning of my test. excellent instructor who made me feel so at ease and confident in my driving so think that definitely helped. priced insurance today and getting some wild quotes ( €489-€1350 :eek::eek:) happy days! good luck to everyone with upcoming tests, my advice to you all:

firstly, have confidence in your driving. relax and listen to what the tester is telling you. get plenty of practice in the weeks leading up to test and especially in the days beforehand i recommend having lessons so that everything is fresh in yer minds. i watched video tutorials on the driving test tips website and they are brilliant help to say the least. i would stress more about learning driving techniques rather than the signs or questions. know them well and the tester will pick up on this. i answered quick and the tester knew i knew them so he only gave me 3 or 4 of each.
    keep watching your mirrors and look over both shoulders always when moving off. dont forget to signal in time, "mirror,signal,mirror" just remember that. keep the foot off the clutch approaching junctions etc and only press at last minute. watch out for hazards ahead and prepare to take caution. keep back from the car in front of you so that you can see his back tyres and always remember the two second rule when travelling behind them. handbrake on hills and at traffic lights. clutch control in any other situation.

overall its easy to pass. you need to believe in yourself, i think this is an important aspect. good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

seanot123 wrote: »
    passed in galway with only 1 grade 2. was so sickened to get it because it was for the reversing. i always reverse very well and during the test i came out too wide and had to pull it back in during straightening up. embarassing to say the least but im absoloutely delighted to have passed. it was my second time doing the test, did it years ago when i was 17 and hadnt any sense. had 4 lessons the two days before my test and one on the morning of my test. excellent instructor who made me feel so at ease and confident in my driving so think that definitely helped. priced insurance today and getting some wild quotes ( €489-€1350 :eek::eek:) happy days! good luck to everyone with upcoming tests, my advice to you all:

firstly, have confidence in your driving. relax and listen to what the tester is telling you. get plenty of practice in the weeks leading up to test and especially in the days beforehand i recommend having lessons so that everything is fresh in yer minds. i watched video tutorials on the driving test tips website and they are brilliant help to say the least. i would stress more about learning driving techniques rather than the signs or questions. know them well and the tester will pick up on this. i answered quick and the tester knew i knew them so he only gave me 3 or 4 of each.
    keep watching your mirrors and look over both shoulders always when moving off. dont forget to signal in time, "mirror,signal,mirror" just remember that. keep the foot off the clutch approaching junctions etc and only press at last minute. watch out for hazards ahead and prepare to take caution. keep back from the car in front of you so that you can see his back tyres and always remember the two second rule when travelling behind them. handbrake on hills and at traffic lights. clutch control in any other situation.

overall its easy to pass. you need to believe in yourself, i think this is an important aspect. good luck to you all :)

Well done and excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

---

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

passed my test in navan on Thursday and can honestly say I feel like my ability and confidence in my driving has improved no end!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Any Port wrote: »

Just look alll around you . even if you cant look, LOOK AT IT. ha ha.
    Speak out loud if you have to great one my lesson instructor gave me G.M.I.S
    Gear , mirror , Indicator , Side. Crucial when taking of doing your hill start and at any stop e.g lights, roundabouts and and just stopping .

I said it out loud many times. just to get my head focused. cause i made a mistake when taking off. and i stopped and said it not too loud but to myself G Check , M Check , I check and S check . which he heard me and knew i knew what i was doing.

In your 3point turn makes as many small turns as you want just stay away from that path and again turn your head everywhere. you name it you look at it. thats so you dont hit the little child behind you or the cyclist about to smack into the side of your car. if you get me.

When reversing. about half way stop look to your right, mirrors and then behind. and proceed backward if safe to do so until your examiner says stop.

And i know you cant say dont be nervous cause your body is going to be. but let it over your head. just pretend you have the car your finally on your own the freedom and it will be yours in less than 30mins.

and if you want pretend its a sat nav in the car speaking. although i made jokes with my instructor. when i was making stupid little errors.

And learn the signs and hand signals. they really do bring up your chances to pass.

I wish The best of luck to All future learners and if you do not get it the first time. The second time is a 99% better chance. You Study your mistakes. go to your D.teacher and ask them to go over your points on your failed sheet. and do it detail and i advise taking no less than 3 extra lesson if you fail but this time group them as close as possible and reserve one for the morning before your exam so if your exam is at 3 o clock take a lesson at 2. this way everything will be fresh and you will feel that little more relaxed after doing an hour session. I am a perfect driver but i still failed my first time my 3 extra lessons really helped. and that one right before my exam . a god send. :pac:

Advertisement