Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

RiseToMe wrote: »
    passed my test in navan on Thursday and can honestly say I feel like my ability and confidence in my driving has improved no end!!

Fair play, once the test is done it's done. Great feeling isn't it. Bit crazy that you also now have a licence to drive a combine harvester:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

RiseToMe wrote: »
    passed my test in navan on Thursday and can honestly say I feel like my ability and confidence in my driving has improved no end!!
    Confident drivers are better drivers! Well done!
    what was your route in finglas?
    I did my test in Finglas too. We drove around Glasnevin Avenue and Willow Park mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

Just passed in Finglas. I'd begun to feel a little like Maureen from Driving School the times I'd done it (not really that bad but still), but kept at it. Tester was incredibly sound today. One of the first things I did, almost immediately after the start of the test was the tournabout, I thought I'd messed it up (got two grade twos for it, thought I'd have a grade three) and kinda relaxed after that. Passed by the bare minimum, one more grade two and I'd have failed. I'll take that though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hurrah!
    Passed in Finglas after 6 fails in Raheny.
    Many thanks to Darragh (ADI Driving) for his patience and belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Well Done
    Delighted for yeah :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

spurious wrote: »
    Hurrah!

Many congratulations, delighted for you. Please stay around this forum, you always have a lot to contribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

Brill, congratulations!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Roaning

Passed my test yesterday in Raheny! :D

The rain was pouring down and my visibility had dropped so much. I had to get out of the car to clear the rear passenger window before I did my turnabout.

Ended up with 8 grade 2's, passing means SO much to me considering I only started driving 5 months ago.

There is nothing you can do to deal with the nerves, I was dying but as soon as I hopped in the car and started off without getting a mark then I was fine, every corner I turned without messing up I knew I was that little bit closer.

Tips though, study your signs and the questions, they can be easy enough but a grade 2 on those can go a long way, I'd have failed the test had I not spent about 2 hours looking over them all.

It all really breaks down into 3 separate divisions for the test. The turnabout, the reverse, and the general driving along. In the general driving though you have sub-divisions such as overtaking parked cars and such, the overtaking alone earned me about 4 grade 2's, it's a very fine line with it comes to that, I think.

Hurrah!

Ah delighted for u! I really admire your perseverence with getting your licence. It's a job well done for you and nothing short of well deserved!

Now you have it for life!!! Great feeling isn't it!

Roaning wrote: »
    Passed my test yesterday in Raheny! :D

The rain was pouring down and my visibility had dropped so much. I had to get out of the car to clear the rear passenger window before I did my turnabout.

Ended up with 8 grade 2's, passing means SO much to me considering I only started driving 5 months ago.

There is nothing you can do to deal with the nerves, I was dying but as soon as I hopped in the car and started off without getting a mark then I was fine, every corner I turned without messing up I knew I was that little bit closer.

Tips though, study your signs and the questions, they can be easy enough but a grade 2 on those can go a long way, I'd have failed the test had I not spent about 2 hours looking over them all.

It all really breaks down into 3 separate divisions for the test. The turnabout, the reverse, and the general driving along. In the general driving though you have sub-divisions such as overtaking parked cars and such, the overtaking alone earned me about 4 grade 2's, it's a very fine line with it comes to that, I think.

Well done and congrats! Great feeling isn't it! The test is a pain in the arse, but once it's done it's done! Happy motoring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Hurrah!

As I write this there are twelve people who like the fact that you passed, a testement to your character. I only met you recently on your way to passing this test, by which time you were well able to drive. But possibly stuck with a negative belief of passing the test in Raheny. Perseverance is an admirable trait. But sometimes a change of surrounding can do the world of good. The driving test is just as difficult in Finglas as Raheny, a negligable difference in pass rates. Some people will repeatedly fail in Finglas and breeze through in Raheny or any other test centre. You arrived at a different test centre, with the same good driving skills. But perhaps a fresh outlook was the significant difference. This is the result you have deserved to get for a while now.
    Congratulations to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Hurrah!
    Dogged perseverance, one of the most important and powerful skills anyone can have!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Passed in Navan today. Second time doing the test. Delighted. Great feeling I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emperor Tomato Ketchup

I passed in Churchtown today which was a great relief. I'd failed a bunch of times in past but didn't know why - as mistakes aren't discussed I was wondering if my clutch mistakes were coming off too fast or not fast enough. I pretty much gave up and let my provisional lapse for 5 years. Started again 18 months ago but very relieved as I really didn't fancy the stress of being back to square one.

I had 5 G2 mistakes including stalling during both of the turnabout and reverse around bend. Reverse was on a hill but I stalled after I stopped when a car came flying along. I think he could tell I was both nervous and generally competent i.e. there was possibly enough rough edges that if he’d been really anal about things he might have failed me. But my road position, speed and observation were all excellent which in real life driving is probably more important than stalling on reverse turn.

Tester said I was checking my blind spot too much but as I was also checking my side mirror at the same time it was as much a good thing and overall observation was fine.
    The advice to keep going and assume the best even if you make a hames of a manouvere was definitly useful as the one time I knew I had failed I went to pieces after an early error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Hurrah!

Fantastic news!! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

double post..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

passed today in tallaght :)
    first attempt, and no lessons done.

the tester was dead sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

When my brother did his test, he couldn't believe his luck when the instructor was a hurling fan, always great to have a common interest.

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    passed today in tallaght :)
    first attempt, and no lessons done.

the tester was dead sound.

Well done... Now that's rare. Test passed with no lessons that is:) Got 5 before mine and passed and there's no way I would have passed without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Let me tell you I have been praying to create this post for the last 2 weeks.

I passed today on my first attempt in Galway!:D:D:D

I was very nervous during my lesson before hand, especially as it's been raining all day. In the test centre the examiner had to ring the RSA to confirm my appointment (I had called in for a cancellation as I had been waiting so long) so I started freaking about whether he'd send me away, but it was grand.

He asked me a few Rules of the Road questions and a good few road signs.

As my instructor (he's excellent, PM me if you want lessons from a great instructor who is also dead sound) predicted, he didn't do under the bonnet checks because of the rain. Instead he asked me a few weird questions I'd not studied for, like how to check your power steering and how to check brakes when not on a slope. Other secondary checks were grand, ended up with 2 greens there.

It was mad busy and I think that ate into my time a bit ;) He took me out by the roundabout at UCHG, went by the college, through the traffic lights at UCHG, by the small junction we took a left, we came into town past the part of Dominick street that's closed, then up Fr Griffin road and we took the left just before the traffic lights by GTI. We went through the part of the Claddagh behind GTI and came out by the wide road to Salthill. We turned right into an estate off the promenade where I had to do reverse and turnabout. It was not a sharp corner and the road was wide and I was lucky to have noone passing at the time:) We came back again through Shantalla, I had to take a right at the traffic lights by Westside, go through the roundabout again, and back to the test centre through Newcastle.

He said I just about passed (like I care, at least I passed!), as I got 3 blues for reaction to hazards. I was behind a touring car that kept stopping and I waited twice rather than going around. I would have through that would come under progress but:confused:
    Got one other blue for handbrake as I didnt use it at a traffic lights because I wasn't on a slope. Other than that another 2 greens or so.

The tester was fine, obviously quiet but at least a smile here and there and he took the time to go through my faults with me in detail. Apparently Galway has 4 testers and I've read horror stories too, so I was lucky.

Things I did/tips:
    - First and foremost: get lessons from an ADI. I had about 30.
    - If you can, practice. The more you get, the less lessons you'll need.
    - Use every aid you can: I visualised, popped Back rescue spray, aromatherapy, breating exercises etc. Dont know if they helped, but they sure didn't hurt.
    - Dress for the occasion. Flat shoes, trousers, a hairband to keep hair away from your face. Looking like you thought it through makes a good impression and you'll feel ready too.
    - Don't tell people you're doing the test. Only my husband and instructor knew. This way you dont have to repeat 'I failed' a million times AND telling people out of the blue you passed is fun:D
    - Believe your instructor when he says you can do it. He/she's done this before;)
    - Study the Rules of the Road. Getting all the answers right is a good start and takes the edge off. I started out very nervous, but was reasonably ok once I started driving.
    - Keep a cloth handy in case you have to wipe mirrors/windows.
    - Read this thread and not the unsuccesful one. This thread is very positive and that what you need.

That's all I can drag out of my brain for now. If I think of more I'll let you know.

Good luck to everyone, trust me, I am not a natural talent and am of a nervous persuasion. If I can do it, you certainly can! :D

• Advertisement

Ah fair play to ya. You're right about relaxation etc before the test. I did the same thing, puts ya in the right frame of mind!

Happy driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Susicia

Can't believe I'm actually privileged enough to be posting in this thread today!

Passed today in Limerick (castlemungret) . Tester never actually said I'd passed until he asked me to sign the certificate of competency and he then noticed my utterly confuzzeled face, he didn't seem to understand why his comment of "oh yeah, by the way you passed" was met with me whooping and laughing scarily loud :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

Passed today in Finglas, 3rd attempt after failing there rather unfairly (IMO) 2 weeks ago, only 1 grade 2 fault.

Tester said he considered making my only fault a grade 3, but that since besides that he felt my driving was excellent throughout the test he decided to cut me some slack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

zonny wrote: »
    Passed today in Finglas, 3rd attempt after failing there rather unfairly (IMO) 2 weeks ago, only 1 grade 2 fault.

Tester said he thought considered making my only fault a grade 3, but that since besides that he felt my driving was excellent throughout the test he decided to cut me some slack

What was the fault for ?

Well done by they way

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

Passed first time in Carrick-On-Shannon today! :)
    WOOP! in total disbelief! :)
    thanks to those who put up info on the technical checks and questions they may ask, really found them useful and would recommend everyone has a look at them if your doing your test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zonny

threein99 wrote: »
    What was the fault for ?

Well done by they way

It was at a roundabout, there was a pedestrian that looked like he wanted to cross and was standing right on the edge of the kerb. I saw him in plenty of time and slowed right down to give him more than enough time to make it across safely, with idea being that he could cross easily and I could make it through without having to come to a stop (I was very aware of this due to a couple of progress faults in my test 2 weeks ago). He was looking right at me but he seemed to be waiting for me to proceed, either that or he was just standing there waiting for someone or something with no intention to cross, so I felt it was safe to proceed and did so (albeit slowly and while keeping an eye on him). I looked in my mirror at him after I was through and he was still waiting there even though it was clear to cross, so he may have just been waiting there for some reason :confused:.

The tester said that he would have liked to have seen me come to a complete stop. He said he considered making it a grade 3, but as he felt I recognised the pedestrian as a hazard and responded to that by slowing right down and keeping up observation on him at least, that he decided to leave it at a grade 2.

There were a few other people with me in the waiting room for the test and we all finished at pretty much the same time. I spoke to them in the carpark afterwards and out of the 6 of us doing it I was the only one who passed. One guy missed out by just 1 grade 2, but there was a girl there who must've had at least 30-40 faults on hers including a few grade 3s :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

zonny wrote: »

It was at a roundabout, there was a pedestrian that looked like he wanted to cross and was standing right on the edge of the kerb. I saw him in plenty of time and slowed right down to give him more than enough time to make it across safely, with idea being that he could cross easily and I could make it through without having to come to a stop (I was very aware of this due to a couple of progress faults in my test 2 weeks ago). He was looking right at me but he seemed to be waiting for me to proceed, either that or he was just standing there waiting for someone or something with no intention to cross, so I felt it was safe to proceed and did so (albeit slowly and while keeping an eye on him). I looked in my mirror at him after I was through and he was still waiting there even though it was clear to cross, so he may have just been waiting there for some reason :confused:.

The tester said that he would have liked to have seen me come to a complete stop. He said he considered making it a grade 3, but as he felt I recognised the pedestrian as a hazard and responded to that by slowing right down and keeping up observation on him at least, that he decided to leave it at a grade 2.

There were a few other people with me in the waiting room for the test and we all finished at pretty much the same time. I spoke to them in the carpark afterwards and out of the 6 of us doing it I was the only one who passed. One guy missed out by just 1 grade 2, but there was a girl there who must've had at least 30-40 faults on hers including a few grade 3s :eek:

Maybe he just liked watching roundabouts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hoggy1000

So delighted I could write here today, best Feeling ever :)

Soundest instructor ever,

Full license :):)

• Advertisement

Passed in Carlow town today first time, absolutely delighted got 6 grade 2 faults, which was a bit more than Id have liked but delighted all the same.

Advertisement