Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dunnaman93 wrote: »
    Passed first time today! I had the first test of the day, absolutely delighted! :D

Well done! Enjoy your new licence! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Passed today, 3rd time. 5 blues. I know for a fact I drove the same if not worse than in my last test where I got 12 blues.. Go figure.

Ah well, guess it doesnt matter anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jmcturk

Passed 2nd time in Navan this morning only 1 grade 2 fault:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LYA

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passed with just two grade 2s!

Was sure I almost failed halfway through because I glanced over at the sheet and seen a handful of grade 2s marked under the same heading, and thought "Absolutely out to get me here. There's no way I'm driving that bad." -- turned out they were just grade 1s! :pac:

Moral of the story: Even if you think you've failed, keep driving perfectly for the rest of the test. Might be just paranoia. ;)

Absolutely the greatest feeling ever when you're told you've passed. Couldn't even get a word out. Speechless. Was barely able to sign my name of the Cert of Competency! :D

Great first post, well done ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sarahd19

I've been reading this forum for months now getting tips before my test
    I'm delighted to say I passed first time with 6 Grade 2 faults in Tallaght :D over the moon!!!!

I got the bin men , road works and an ambulance through out the test , and my reverse around the corner didn't go as planned but kept it together!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Passed in Churchtown this morning :D

It was my 3rd time doing the test, I had done the last two tests in Rathgar and was glad to get out of their just for piece of mind. I got 4 grade 2's and 3 grade 1's.

I failed my last test on observation in late june. Then I applied for a cancellation and got my test very quickly (was offerred one last week at first).

Prior to this test I got a very good pre-test. The instructor was recommended to me by a friend for pre-tests as he is very thorough. He charged me €50 for 2 and a half hours which I thought was great value. Anyone in south Dublin who wants his number pm me.

The test itself went fine, the examiner was a real nice guy which made things easier. It's Ironic that the last time I sat my test I was in Rathgar and was brought on a Churchtown route where as this time I was in Churchtown and was brought on a Rathgar route.

One notable thing that happened during my test was that I was turning right into a estate and their was a van parked on the corner leaving it very blank. Then as soon as I got to the stage where I could see into the road, a car comes speeding up it and I slammed on the breaks and stalled the car. I then restarted the car straight away and got on with it. In the end I only got a grade 1 for stalling as I was very observant and cautious.

Sorry for the long post, just in a very good mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i also passed today, first time round in Raheny, Dublin.

So, if i send my application away for my full license, can i drive temporarily with my learners permit & certificate of competency without a passenger holding a full license and L plates?

you will get a photocopy of the CoC. You can drive with that until you get your full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

great, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Just passed in Tallaght.
    As they say, third time is the charm! 2 grade 1's and 2 grade 2's.
    I'm delighted with myself, like a dog with two mickeys here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Faunge

passed today in limerick whoooop :D

well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Passed yesterday on my 2nd try in Tallaght! Absolutely delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just passed in Wilton, Cork.

Got 3 greens and 4 blues :D

Oh, and a question, I have the form and the certificate, but the tax office is closed until Monday,
    so what can/can't I do in releation to L plates, driving unaccompanied and so on...
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

Congratulations!!!Mine's next Friday in Wilton, can't wait :D Can't answer your question about the tax office unfortunately, but what rules did they ask you? What route did you take?

rachos89 wrote: »
    Congratulations!!!Mine's next Friday in Wilton, can't wait :D Can't answer your question about the tax office unfortunately, but what rules did they ask you? What route did you take?
    Coming out of the test centre we went right, going towards Toger. Infact we didn't use the link road at all during the test, that might have something to do with the road works, not sure.

Questions wise, had to identify some road signs, who should you stop for (animal handler is always a good one to remember :D ) find switch for rear window heater and windscreen washer.

Good luck to you.

Thanks a million :) and well done again!I'd say you'd be better off leaving up the plates for the weekend, highly unlikely you'll be stopped but sure if you are you want to have all your bases covered!Then straight in to the tax office on Monday morning ;)

A quick look in the FAQ's page answered my question:
    A Certificate of Competency is not in itself a driving licence and cannot be used as a substitute for a driving licence. You are not considered to be a fully licenced driver until you have your full licence in your physical possession. Until that point, you should continue to display L-plates, drive with an accompanying driver, and observe the other rules and restrictions that apply to learner drivers.

Not a big deal, another week until back to college anyway :d

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blooming

Passed in Mallow last Friday, first time, absolutely delighted. Got one grade one fault for gears and that was it.

I got a load of lessons from a driving instructor based in Mallow leading up to the test which really prepared me for the test, would not have passed without them. Also, even though I was really nervous, I tried to be confident and kept telling myself if I failed 'its not the end of the world', cos it really isnt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Wohoo, passed first time today in Wicklow!!!
    Had my licence 6mths on Sat & took test on a cancelation:)

Got 3 grade one faults & 7 grade 2!

But know my mistakes - messed up the reversing around a corner so just said Im going to reposition & do that again & nailed it second time.
    Couple of observation faults - Wicklow is a tricky town, very hilly & traffic was pretty bad plus some pretty bad drivers around, not to mention school kids just walking on front of the car!

Big achievement for me as lost my confidence 4.5 yrs ago ( only held a prov ) & finally got back in the car 6mths ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Well done Marley, did you get my PM last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

loobylou! So sorry forgot to pm you to thank you!!
    Got a mix of 2 routes - test lasted 45mins!

Got asked about 20 road signs & 10 general questions before setting foot into the car! Then when got into the car got asked about fog lights, headlights, air con, clearing back screen, how would you know there is a prob with your hand break, how would you know if you break isn't working correctly & how to know if your tyre thread is below the legal standard!!! Way more questions than I thought I would be asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Passed today in Tullamore - third time lucky!!

Had the most stressful morning ever, couldn't find my licence and drove myself mad looking for it. Then was going over my engine checks when I realised my engine coolant was way below the minimum level. I then arrived at the test centre for a pre test lesson and my driving instructor said it would be fine. Then checked my break lights and one of them was gone. Had my lesson then drove like a mad woman to get the lights fixed in a garage. Arrived back at the test centre with only a few minutes to spare, didn't even have time to feel nervous!!

Got six grade 2s and two grade ones, happy enough with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

Passed yesterday on my second attempt in Wexford. Very relieved to have it out of the way - went straight to the motor tax office afterwards and got all of the paperwork sorted.

Personally I found it much less nervy doing it the second time. I actually took the wrong exit on my first roundabout and that actually calmed me further... I just had a feeling I had nothing to loose from that point. The tester was fair though and I can honestly say I understand why I got the marks against me on the form (7 blue). It was far from a perfect drive but I kept it safe and didnt do anything impulsive. My best advice would be if you make a mistake just put it behind you and staert the rest of the test afresh.

Also I would comment for all those people ho believe there is a conspiracy to fail first timers (I was one), the tester had no idea if I had done the test before or not, he asked me if I had taken the test before after he had given me the result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Passed second time around today in Churchtown! Three grade 2s. Flipping delighted :D Was a total hysterical wreck the first time around from nerves but this time he told me I seemed very calm and I actually enjoyed it. So pleased to have it done!

Passed today in Wilton second time around!! :D:D:D only 6 Grade 2s and all for things I knew I'd done wrong, so absolutely delighted! :D I'll be first in line at the Motor Tax Office tomorrow morning to get my lovely pink licence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Passed today in New Castle West. 2 grade twos and met no traffic when doing the reverse and turnabout maneuvers. Went and got my driving licence straight away afterwards.

Don't have to risk going into college on my own and can take the motorway to avoid the traffic hellhole of Limerick City!

Delighted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fintonagirl

Hey folks i've been looking at these threads in the run up to my last test and thought I would post my pass story to give hope to anyone who has had a couple of fails and feels like I did, that maybe they would never pass and weren't meant to drive.

Passed in Finglas on Friday 16th, got 1 grade 1 and 5 grade 2s. Delighted is not even the word.

It was my 6th test! I think my problem in part was that I have started and stopped lessons for the past couple of years. Every time I failed I pretty much gave up again until I was close to another test date. I don't think I ever truly believed that I was ready to pass even though I was terribly upset when I didn't.

I did my last test last year and just was so demotivated by then that I had to give myself a break from it. I was then involved in an accident in April (that a whole other story) but it really dented my confidence.. and in a way I felt I maybe didn't deserve to drive or pass my test. However pushed on by friends and parents found a new instructor and started lessons again in June.

Right up to the test it was very touch and go. My instructor said that I had makings of great driver but what I lacked was self belief and confidence. He instilled in me the idea of calmness, preparation and giving myself time to assess and reassess situations and also to take control rather than hesitating and questioning myself.

This I think is what made the difference for me between borderline fails and passing. I still feel that I need to take more lessons when I get a car as I want to feel sure in myself that I can cope calmly with any situation I meet on the road.

For anyone that is struggling just hang in there. If you feel you are not progressing with your current instructor don't be afraid to make the change. Confidence, preparation and time I think are the keys, at least they were to me.

Best of luck to anyone doing their's soon :)

Also I took a few kalms on the day of the test, I had previously tried rescue remedy. I don't really know if this made any difference but might be worth trying out on a pre test if you like me were suffering from nerves that were affecting your performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Hey folks i've been looking at these threads in the run up to my last test and thought I would post my pass story to give hope to anyone who has had a couple of fails and feels like I did, that maybe they would never pass and weren't meant to drive..

Excellent post, well done on passing.:)

Advertisement