Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭timogen

I'm so delighted to be posting in here today,I passed my E+C test with only 2 grade 2's in finglas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

timogen wrote: »
    I'm so delighted to be posting in here today,I passed my E+C test with only 2 grade 2's in finglas:D

Well done Tim, any chance of a run down on how you got on?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Well done Tim, any chance of a run down on how you got on?
    I took an hour lesson before the test to settle the nerves,It helps me anyway as i don't think i'd last the waiting room if i didn't.The door opened to the exam room the tester ushered in but as we walked to the desk he cracked a joke,it was if i had a split personality that joke put me at my ease and i knew the tester was ok.
    Rules of the road were straight forward,then he asked how you uncouple/couple a trailor they don't do that in the practical any more.We walked to the right hand wheel of the truck and asked me what would you check around the wheel if you were about to start along journey?
    Then how do you check the oil level?and where to put water into the bottle washer.I then got in the truck and he checked the lights.We started the drive it took just over an hour,he brought me on one of the roughest roads in ireland that is out by the airport.But my instructor had me on it last week so i knew the road.
    The test was fairly standard i think, but there wasn't really anything that tricky in it,the 2 grade 2's weren't for much.First was for on a turn left at a T junction and he marked me for not staying close enough to the left hand side as i was close the the white line on the right,but where i was gave me a better view as there is a bend just off the T junction so i got a grade 2 for positioning.The other was we were just back at the test centre at the last roundabout and there was a lot of traffic i knew the test was after going well and i wasn't going to get a grade 3 now so took my time and got a grade 2 for progress at roundabouts,we got back in to the test compound and did a right-hand reverse went well,then parked up the truck and into the centre.
    When we got in he opened his folder and passed over a cert of competence for me to sign,the dublin team thought they were happy when they won the all ireland they weren't half as happy as i was yesterday.
    I would like to thank the people on this forum because it does help to chat with people in the same position and are only to happy to help a person with questions they might have.
    I will stay around here and might do the D test sometime down the road.

timogen wrote: »
    we got back in to the test compound and did a right-hand reverse went well,then parked up the truck and into the centre

Kinda surprised he didn't make you do a left- hand reverse as well? Well done, the D test will be a piss of p*ss because it's very similar to the rigid.

Kinda surprised he didn't make you do a left- hand reverse as well? Well done, the D test will be a piss of p*ss because it's very similar to the rigid.
    From what i know they only do one reverse either right or left this is meant to be down to a time constrainent and this is also why they don't have you doing the uncoupling/coupling of the trailor anymore either, and they just ask you how you do it when you are in the office.
    As for the D my auld fellow was a bus driver and it's not for me but might do it just to fill my licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 funluving4u

Had my test today in Rathgar and have cleared the test. This was my first attempt and was very happy to get it in the first go.

The lessons I took really helped me get the test in the first go. The instructor was really really good. he is very experienced and knows his job very well. When I started taking lessons with him about three weeks ago I was really really bad at driving but within three weeks he got me to this stage.

PM me if you want his contact details.

The tester took me to the route my instructor had taken me on several times, so no problem at all with the route or with the turns, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Passed today in Churchtown :D. was my second time sitting the test and I nearly cried when he told me I passed. Am so relieved as I don't think I could have handled doin all that again :)

needaname wrote: »
    Passed today in Churchtown :D. was my second time sitting the test and I nearly cried when he told me I passed. Am so relieved as I don't think I could have handled doin all that again :)

Great feeling being asked to sign the cert isn't it!? Time for a celebratory drink I feel!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yipenyapen

Passed this morning first time in Dundalk. :D

I'm over the moon as I was a very nervous driver when I started driving less than a year ago :) Was at 8.20am, so was a really busy time with students making their way to college & others heading off to work. Examiner was a nice guy, friendly but fair and honest with you.
    I think most of the nerves I had were little things I had built up in my head, but seemed second nature and easy when I was actually doing it. That said, I'd hate to have to go through it again. :P
    Thought I had failed half way through and couldn't help but think "oh well, thats €80 down the drain" so you can imagine the shock when he put a certificate of competency infront of me to sign.. Delighted! :)

This board really cleared up some stuff for me and linked me to some very helpful stuff for the test so cheers guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Great feeling being asked to sign the cert isn't it!? Time for a celebratory drink I feel!:)

Haha I was so nervous (I was actually more nervous waiting for the result than doing the actual test) that when he handed me the cert to sign I had no idea what it was as he still hadnt told me I passed :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

I passed today in Skibbereen at the second attempt. I failed last year with 10 grade 2's and managed to get it down to 3 grade 2's this time with the help of an excellent instructor. I had 2 hours of lessons before the test and I must say that did me the world of good. I drove straight to Cork afterwards and got myself a pink licence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Passed today in clonmel!!!:) 2nd time lucky:) 4 grade 2's and one green:) soooooo happy all my hard work and practising payed off!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

passed in sligo:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Passed in Rathgar.

Five B Grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tealover

Passed today in Finglas, first time, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Great well done guys!!! Great fealing alright isint it!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 june77

passed on my 2nd attempt in Navan on tuesday last. So delighted!!! My local instructor was unavailable so recommended somebody based in navan for a pretest and use of car for test. I had used my own car the first time but I knew i would have more confidence with something smaller. He was great and put me at ease- mostly because he was familiar with the testers and told me not to worry, that they are all fair. My test was for 14:05 so I figured they all probably had lunch and possibly nicotine. The tester had me go through Navan town, estates, the roundabout by the jonestown shopping centre, and a main junction. I was marked on my right and left turns and taking 5 moves for the turnabout. It was tight and could have been cleared in 3 but i didn't want to risk hitting the curb. I had one Grade 1 and 6 grade two and he went over the marks with me. Also, his instructions were really clear. For example, when telling me to turn right at the next junction, he clarified by saying "where the black car is turning" which took away any uncertainty. Much better than the 14 grade 2s on the first go which were for use of gears, clutch and clearance. The questions were: yellow box rules, when can you overtake on left, and can't remember 3rd. The other thing that calmed me was before the test, my instructor told me that the testers don't have access to past results- something i had been worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cents

Passed in Finglas. I got 20 blues and 3 reds in June and 3 blues today

The inspector went through the test sheet with me afterwards which was nice. I had a frosty enough relationship with the first tester in June after he told me ''have a look at this list of driving instructors or you'll just be wasting your money applying again'' smile.gif

There is a lot of detail in Finglas, plenty of left/right turns in estates, T-junctions,mini roundabouts,hazards,parked cars,speed bumps,traffic lights etc so just have confidence in your hands, if you fail dont be too down on yourself. I actually only got 2 lessons in the interim between tests but worked hard on technique and awareness using an instructional dvd which probably isn't the traditional way to learn but it helped a lot.

Its great to pass,good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

cents wrote: »
    Passed in Finglas. I got 20 blues and 3 reds in June and 3 blues today
    Wow, that's a dramatic improvement! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Passed in Rathgar today. 4 blue. Absolutely delighted.

I know everyone probably says this but I genuinely thought I'd failed the test. When the guy asked me to sign the book I very nearly said "Really?".

Feels good man, feels good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Passed in Kilkenny today. Second try :D. Only got like 2 grade 2's and 3 grade 1's. Compared to my last one where I got like 30 grade 2's :o.

20 minutes before the test my instructor told me that they won't test me with the engine warning light on so we dashed over to the garage to get it turned off :pac:. Even though I was tested with it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BMRising

Passed in Raheny, second time, 7 blues - the rain was biblical! So so so delighted, especially because of the little drama I had yesterday/this morning getting my car fixed for the test!

I have done so many exams and got so many results in my life and that feeling rivals the best of them. I was thinking sitting in the waiting room, god I really hope I never have to come back here again - and now I don't!

....unless they bring in that ten year test thing....

Anyway, woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

passed yesterday in finglas... first attempt, 4 blues.

got one of them because a guy was being nice and stopped to let me turn at a T junction.
    gave him time and he wouldn't move, i said i shouldn't ever do that to the tester and said that we were now holding up traffic, got a blue for right of way at a junction for that.

Also i met a funeral procession... traffic went to a crawl and rules of the road went out of the window...

i got two of the other blues for progress at traffic lights... i was trying my hardest to drive smoothly and that was probably them. I was paranoid about over-revving the car!

anyway i've been reading this forum since i got the provisionsal and have to say there's been a lot of help here. I also have no car to practice in and have only had nine lessons.
    so doubly happy!

the first five minutes were nerve racking but i settled down after that... i think my instructor had me overprepared!

DELIGHTED!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Congrats! With regards to the courtesy thing, people can and do stop to let you out. As far as I know, the correct course of action is to take the gap, but do all your checks as normal to make sure it's clear - just because he stopped in the middle to let you out, doesn't mean that a bicycle won't overtake him on the left and continue, and that bicycle has right of way over you. And as far as I know, for test purposes, it's ok to give a courtesy signal (wave of your hand, or equivalent, that indicates 'thanks').

What you're not allowed to do is to beckon somebody out during your test. If you stopped, and waved somebody out of a side road, and he/she hits something while emerging, you could be partially liable (this is why it's a mark on your test). Rather, if situations deem it appropriate to let somebody out (bumper to bumper traffic, for example, where you wouldn't lose much time by showing a bit of a courtesy), then you can stop, make eye contact with the driver, but let them make up their own minds whether to come out or not - don't wave or beckon them!

Safe driving! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Doc_Savage wrote: »
    I also have no car to practice in and have only had nine lessons.
    DELIGHTED!

Is it me or in nine quite a lot of lessons? most people I know only done 4 or 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

Congrats! With regards to the courtesy thing, people can and do stop to let you out. As far as I know, the correct course of action is to take the gap, but do all your checks as normal to make sure it's clear - just because he stopped in the middle to let you out, doesn't mean that a bicycle won't overtake him on the left and continue, and that bicycle has right of way over you. And as far as I know, for test purposes, it's ok to give a courtesy signal (wave of your hand, or equivalent, that indicates 'thanks').

went over it with the instructor anyway and he said something similar to what you said but that it is a gray area and that it may be marked.
    Digits wrote: »
    Is it me or in nine quite a lot of lessons? most people I know only done 4 or 5?

but do they have a car that they can practice in?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Digits wrote: »
    If you don't have your own car, you'll definitely need the lessons to practice. It's a test of your driving ability, you need to have a good few hours up. Any specific number would be arbitrary but you need a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

Passed my driving test today in Navan :D Went to the motor tax office straight away and put all my forms in. The lady gave me a receipt, but would it be valid proof if I was stopped by the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Had 15 pints yesterday, with massive hangover + headache I woke up, got sick in toilet, with massive thirstiness I still went and passed theory 38/40

Sorry for so much detail, just good example that when you want something no matter drunk or not you will get it :D

What do I do next guys? Wait 6 months or what?

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    Had 15 pints yesterday, with massive hangover + headache I woke up, got sick in toilet, with massive thirstiness I still went and passed theory 38/40

Sorry for so much detail, just good example that when you want something no matter drunk or not you will get it :D

What do I do next guys? Wait 6 months or what?

God help all us road users! :rolleyes:

Advertisement