Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Faith+1 wrote: »
    God help all us road users! :rolleyes:

Nah I know for sure I won't drink drive, literally No way!
    + it was pre-haloween celebration with my course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

arleitiss wrote: »
    Had 15 pints yesterday, with massive hangover + headache I woke up, got sick in toilet, with massive thirstiness I still went and passed theory 38/40

Sorry for so much detail, just good example that when you want something no matter drunk or not you will get it :D

What do I do next guys? Wait 6 months or what?

You should repeat that for the day of your test :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

arleitiss wrote: »
    Had 15 pints yesterday, with massive hangover + headache I woke up, got sick in toilet, with massive thirstiness I still went and passed theory 38/40

Sorry for so much detail, just good example that when you want something no matter drunk or not you will get it :D

What do I do next guys? Wait 6 months or what?

15 pints? :eek:

Don't do that before the real test! You probably were still half drunk :p

You need to apply for your Learner Permit - you'll need to get two passport photos (signed at back), an eyesight report (from an opticians, tell them its for a Learner Permit application), you need your certificate of passing the theory test, and the €15 fee. You go into your local MTO and apply for your Learner Permit, which can take anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to come, depending on the particular MTO.

You then need to complete 12 lessons (minimum, no maximum) with an ADI (approved driving instructor - the only ones allowed to charge for driving lessons by law - check your driving instructor has an ADI badge - it's usually stuck somewhere in the car. You can also check their name online). These 12 lessons are under the Essential Driver Training (EDT) program - lots of information on this forum about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Digits wrote: »
    Is it me or in nine quite a lot of lessons? most people I know only done 4 or 5?

Begrudger alert

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Passed my test today in Tuam :D Didn't expect to pass first time, and made a few mistakes in the test, but all worked out in the end!

Started out with fogged up windows, so took a minute to clear them with the heaters. Apparently, this was fine, and probably a helpful thing to do before proceeding anyway! Didn't pull close enough to the kerb before the turnabout, so had to do it in five turns, but was fine. Reverse around corner was a little tough as I stalled the car just at the apex of the curve, but I secured the car w/handbrake and restarted and observed all around, so maybe this saved me. The tester was very helpful and calming in fairness.

Actually had an extra manoeuvre to make as Tuam is currently riddled with roadworks; Was asked to turn left into a minor road that had roadworks on it, and turned out to be blocked completely, so had to reverse back and do a sort of mini-turnabout, which was aided a lot by a stop-go system that's on. I think this actually gave me a bit more confidence since I felt the test came back "into my control" here!

Anyway with a bit of spinning around the town, back to the test centre and was told that overall I had passed and was given the Cert to sign, an absolutely incredible feeling!

Six greens, four blues, all on separate lines. Observation, signalling too early, progress at a roundabout (I think I gave way to a car coming from left), and one for use of accelerator, I think because I have a habit of over-revving in first gear.

Many thanks to everyone on this board! Great tips and very encouraging stories of success but equally helpful unsuccessful posts! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

just passed in raheny.

second attempt, took it about 3/4 years ago and failed.

had one pre test today.

delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kathyo

Passed just now in Finglas....beyond delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 30 M.R.B

Passed first time yesterday in Tallaght, delighted is a complete understatement. I got 1 grade 1, and four grade 2s.... For two of the grade 2s I don't know why I was marked down. But to be honest I don't care over-the-moon at this stage.

Went straight down to the motor-tax office and after an hours wait, left with the golden ticket (otherwise known as the receipt for the licence ;) )

Thanks to everyone who posted in the forum, theres a lot of great tips and help here ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

passed mine today first time :D had it at 8:25 so the town was dead, less than 20 minutes of actualy driving :p i got 3 grade blues but i had a feeling i had it passed so im just delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

just passed 1 grade 1 an 3 grade 2.s wooooot
    the instructor started chatting away to me stuck in traffic on the way back to the centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭allen175

Just Passed my test in raheny there this morning, I'm over the moon!! only took 3 previous attempts and 3 provisional licences, but got there is the end.

I was worried that i might not pass becuase i didn't take a pre-test, but it all worked out ok in the end with only 3 grade 2's!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Hopefully I'll be posting in here tomorrow :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Hopefully I'll be posting in here tomorrow :pac:

Best of luck! Drive like you'd normally drive with a family member / friend / instructor, and imagine the tester is just a SatNav telling you where to go - you'll be fine!

Let us know how you get on! :)

Best of luck! Drive like you'd normally drive with a family member / friend / instructor, and imagine the tester is just a SatNav telling you where to go - you'll be fine!

Let us know how you get on! :)

I drive best on my own haha

And I've never used a SatNav before :pac:

2nd time but confident :)

I drive best on my own haha

And I've never used a SatNav before :pac:

2nd time but confident :)

Guess who passed their driving test today!

Not me anyway :mad: haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Somehow passed my test this morning. First time taking it and it was a bit of a disaster, heard the instructor wrong and was turning left at a traffic lighted junction when he corrected me and told me he said right! Cue me flicking indicators all over the place and trying not to hit the cars behind me also turning right. Was a bit panicked and flustered after that and fluffed my hill start a bit, too much revving on the clutch. Worst I've driven in a long time.
    Was certain I'd failed, so much so that when he said I'd passed I was more embarrassed than relieved. Still am! I hate to just pass things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I passed this morning in Finglas. I failed my first test three weeks ago on Progress alone, was raging so applied again straight away.

Only 4 grade IIs this time out. There were some ropey moments but all in all it went well and I got a little bit of luck too.

For what it's worth, if you're picking a test time yourself I wouldn't recommend an 8.10 slot! Traffic was pretty heavy, and I had to wait an agonising length of time at right turns on two occasions. There were also loads of school kids, some cycling erratically all over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nice Martyr

Passed today at the Westside in Galway. 4 Grade 2's so I'm delighted. Failed 3 years ago and kept putting it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Passed today at the Westside in Galway. 4 Grade 2's so I'm delighted. Failed 3 years ago and kept putting it off.

Well done and welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    passed out in Tallaght.not even going to say how many times it was. Delighted is an understatement,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kuku

passed this morning in Tallaght. cant believe it, it was my second try and last time was abotu 6 weeks ago, got v upset but guess what, got on with it, just focused on more lessons, practice is a key... Good luck to everyone!:D you can do it!
    i have to say , good instructor is a secret weapon too, dont waste your time on lessons bought on some city deals etc, go for someone really skilled and professional!
    guys, good luck
    i am running with my photos to office tomorrow!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

Passed yesterday in Rathgar. So happy 4th attempt at one stage decided driving was just not for me. But got a great instructor recommend to by someone on this very forum and he changed everything in terms of me and driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mcgooch

I passed this morning in Finglas and I'm absolutely delighted. It was my third attempt and I only got two Grade 2 faults. It's a great feeling to have finally done it. :D

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

I posted a few months back unsure about whether to book my driving test due to the possibility of it being so close to Christmas and the risk of bad weather and all that...............

4 days before Christmas and I just passed my test!!!!! :D

Christmas has definitely come early. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Passed this morning in Rathgar with 5 Grade 2s 2nd attempt. Failed the first in Rathgar 3 weeks ago with 12 grade 2s. Thought I'd made a mess of the reverse but managed to pull it back together was hoping that it wouldn't fail me but just got a grade 2 for it. That is one hard route. I changed instructor after the first test and it made a big difference. Insurance company are giving me €70 back which is a nice bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Daxve wrote: »
    Insurance company are giving me €70 back which is a nice bonus.

Bit of a disgrace of a discount don't you think ?

Well Done BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Thanks. The discount is €110 (which is about 20% of my insurance cost) less €40 "admin" fee better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

Passed today in Cork on my second attempt. Completely thrilled and my tester was really nice too which helped a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I passed a few weeks ago but just wondering how long I have until it's too late to apply for the full licence? I have to call up for a replacement theory certificate and it's gonna take twelve days to come in the post so I'm just figuring out how much time I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

When I passed I was told I had two years! Hope it helps you :)

Advertisement