Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Congrats MangoLime!

Jefrey, are you referring to passing your practical test? The certificate of competency is valid for 2 years. You should not need a replacement theory test certificate, you use that to apply for a Learner Permit, not a full licence.

For a full licence you need:
    Certificate of Competency
    2 passport photos, signed at rear
    €25 fee (for 10 year full licence)
    Your current learner permit.

Note: You are *not* licenced to drive until you actually have that pink licence in your hand, you cannot drive unaccompanied with the certificate of competency. You can still drive once you are accompanied by a fully licenced driver (who has held their full licence for over 2 years) once you have L-plates up, as you are technically still a learner until you get the full licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Congrats everyone who has passed their driving test so far! Hopefully I be posting in this thread in a few months time....watch this space!

Just wondering would revving be considered a fault in a driving test?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

doovdela wrote: »
    Just wondering would revving be considered a fault in a driving test?

Yes, it could be considered a Grade 2 for not making proper use of Accelerator under the Vehicle Controls section, as confirmed in this thread you started: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056490207 :P

But with plenty of practice, you definitely will iron out the revving issue with no effort at all. At the beginning, it's hard to get the clutch/accelerator balance exactly right, especially on hills, but with practice in the car that you will be doing the test in, you'll soon find it hard to believe you ever had the problem!

Getting to know your clutch's biting point would be a useful exercise, that way you will know exactly when to start introducing the accelerator pedal (revving would occur when you do this too early!). On a flat, quiet surface, try moving your car only by using the clutch pedal, don't use the accelerator - this will give you a good idea of where the clutch's biting point is. The engine will go slightly quieter just before or at the biting point (as you take out the clutch pedal, slowly). Another option is to go somewhere with a slight incline, face uphill, and let it roll back, while taking out the clutch slowly - where the car stops rolling back, this is the biting point. This isn't good for the clutch, but just doing it a few times for practice purposes won't hurt, obviously it wouldn't be a driving habit!

Good luck in your test, hope to see you posting in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Jefrey, are you referring to passing your practical test? The certificate of competency is valid for 2 years. You should not need a replacement theory test certificate, you use that to apply for a Learner Permit, not a full licence.

For a full licence you need:
    Certificate of Competency
    2 passport photos, signed at rear
    €25 fee (for 10 year full licence)
    Your current learner permit.

Note: You are *not* licenced to drive until you actually have that pink licence in your hand, you cannot drive unaccompanied with the certificate of competency. You can still drive once you are accompanied by a fully licenced driver (who has held their full licence for over 2 years) once you have L-plates up, as you are technically still a learner until you get the full licence!

For some reason I thought it was essential to bring the theory certificate (I realise now that it's listed in the checklist found in the application form under the heading 'And, if required in your case'), so yeah thanks Timbuk, you've saved me fifteen euro. :D

(And yup, not to worry, I'm still driving with L plates and a licenced driver!)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Passed artic test in letterkenny Donegal and a new baby son all in the same day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Westwood wrote: »
    Passed artic test in letterkenny Donegal and a new baby son all in the same day!!!

I was delighted when I got the artic first time round, can only imagine what a baby on the same day would be like. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Westwood wrote: »
    If every day was half as good as that... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

What's the waiting period for the driving test? I got my learner's permit last March, and thought it'd be a good time to finally do my driving test :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Sobanek wrote: »
    What's the waiting period for the driving test? I got my learner's permit last March, and thought it'd be a good time to finally do my driving test :-)

Hi

You can sit your test once you've had your learner permit for 6 months on the date the test takes place.

Waiting times vary from centre to centre but if you accept a cancellation, you could sit it in less than a month from now.

If ya don't get it the first time, keep trying:)

Best of luck!!
    Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just passed in Finglas.

Only two Grade 2s (one for changing lanes and one for turning left).

Wasnt the most straightforward of tests. Had a taxi come behind me when doing the reverse so had to go back around and do it again. Then on the turnabout a mini-bus turned the corner and parked behind me. On the way back to the test centre some chap decided to get out of his vehicle while stopped in traffic on the N2 just before Finglas village and banged on someones window! Wasnt sure what to do if he didnt make it back as the other lane was for buses only. Thank god he jumped back in just as the traffic started to move. Tester was sound as well, so that helped.

Anyways I am happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

:)

Passed in Churchtown.

Couldnt find the car keys as they were in my jacket. Got them and then dropped them. Couldnt answer the tyre pressure question: How often should you check pressure?" Didnt know then, still dont know???!!

Drove solidly, got 3 grade 2's and a splattering of 1ers..

3rd time lucky for me.

Points to note:

I dont have a car or drive regularly. I did about 12 lessons and 3 pretests.
    Wasnt nervous as moving to Oz next week and thought feck it, I can just do it there...

Nervousness = Failed tests.

Did it a 3.45pm in the lashing rain too. Proud of passing got to say.

I wish everyone else luck and congrats. I am not a great driver and passed - it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You have no idea how long I have wanted to post in this thread!

Passed this morning in Tallaght!!!!! :)

Third time lucky. No Grade 3's and just 4 Grade 2's.

DEEEELLLLLLLIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fourteen

You have no idea how long I have wanted to post in this thread!

Passed this morning in Tallaght!!!!! :)

Third time lucky. No Grade 3's and just 4 Grade 2's.

DEEEELLLLLLLIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!:D

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Kajemo

Passed this morning in Finglas in the rain!!! I am beyond delighted!!! Made an arse of my reverse thought that was it, just drove the rest of test like normal. Flew in! Words can not describe how I feel!!! I kept laughing when he told me!!! Wahooooooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Kajemo wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Finglas in the rain!!! I am beyond delighted!!! Made an arse of my reverse thought that was it, just drove the rest of test like normal. Flew in! Words can not describe how I feel!!! I kept laughing when he told me!!! Wahooooooo!!!!!

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Passed in Raheny (2nd attempt) with 2 grade 2s. Was convinced I'd failed at the halfway point because I thought the tester was constantly scribbling and I seemed to hit every possible bump and pothole on the road and thought I'd ****ed up overtaking every parked car. Made sure to nail it to the speed limit on the Howth road and Larkin road as I got 4 grade 2s for not making progress on the straight in my last test. Thought I had a grade 3 for a right turn from howth road at the station house but apparently it was fine. Tester was a gent too, which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Passed first time in Castlemungret in Limerick today, 5 grade 2's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

Passed 2nd time, got a fair few Grade 2s but scraped through, I'm so happy I passed!

To anyone having trouble with the test; it's really difficult driving when you're under so much pressure. The test is horribly nerve-wracking and the whole experience is so stressful. I made silly mistakes in both tests, but I actually thought I drove much better on my first test than the second overall, and my faults were in completely different areas in both tests. So I think a lot of it is down to how you concentrate and react on the day and a bit of luck with the situations you encounter.

Most importantly, if you're feeling discouraged don't give up, one day there will be a test where everything goes okay enough for you to pass! And one time is all it takes.

YAAAAYYYYY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WayneWexford

Passed my test today on the first go. Went straight to the Tax and Motor office. It wasn't too busy so they made the license right there and then and handed it to me. Went outside into the car park and immediately took down my L plates! Delighted! Been driving for two years on a provisional and had only recently renewed it. Booked my test two weeks ago and saw that there was one opening for today (probably a cancellation?) and just went for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Passed my driving test today on my 1st attempt! :D:D:D

Did the test in Churchtown. Got 5 Grade 2's in total.
    Absolutely delighted!!

Would thoroughly recommend a pre-test as I did one last Thursday evening and got 13 Grade 2's. It showed me exactly where I was going wrong and I went back to Churchtown a couple of times over the week and focused on my weak points!

Can't wait to get my license!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Auc_Drive

Passed my test last week on my third attempt, was only delighted.

I've been quietly watching this forum for a while (as a non-member) and am so happy i can now post here, Cant wait for the pink licence to arrive in the post now!! :cool:

Safe driving to all the fellow pass-ees! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Auc_Drive wrote: »
    Passed my test last week on my third attempt, was only delighted.

I've been quietly watching this forum for a while (as a non-member) and am so happy i can now post here, Cant wait for the pink licence to arrive in the post now!! :cool:

Safe driving to all the fellow pass-ees! :)

Tis a great feeling when you get it alright!!! I spent about 2 hours just looking at mine and grinning when it arrived!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Drivingatlast

I cannot believe I am posting here at last! I passed this morning in Ballina, County Mayo :) The tester was apparently a fill-in from Dublin as they were short someone here this week, and he was SO NICE. He was a BIG change from the last two experiences for me, where the tester acted nice, was all chatty, etc....and then proceeded to fail me (grrrrr).

I am sharing here because I got so much encouragement from these threads, I loved hearing about both passes and failures!(even though they terrified me). I am off now to get my licence form sent off, and then I might post again later to tell yaz a bit more.

I feel like I am in a movie, such relief!

This was officially my fourth time going through this process, but really my third time doing the actual test, as one time I was so rattled and nervous I forgot to check the date on my Learner permit and it was expired by a measly FOUR days so I wasn't able to sit the test---(what a nitemare that was)

GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE DOING THE TEST

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Well done to everyone who has passed. I have yet to do mine on the Friday 9th of March 9.15 pm at the Finglas test centre. A bit rusty on the reversing around the corner so have booked a lesson to do that and a pre-test. How has everyones test so far. Do you have any tips or advice on how to pass? And what technical checks would they be most likely to ask you? I know one off them would be "Demonstrate how you would do a check on the following, tyres, steering, blahhblah... how do you actually "DEMPONSRATE" these things?
    Well done again!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Well done to everyone who has passed. I have yet to do mine on the Friday 9th of March 9.15 pm at the Finglas test centre. A bit rusty on the reversing around the corner so have booked a lesson to do that and a pre-test. How has everyones test so far. Do you have any tips or advice on how to pass? And what technical checks would they be most likely to ask you? I know one off them would be "Demonstrate how you would do a check on the following, tyres, steering, blahhblah... how do you actually "DEMPONSRATE" these things?
    Well done again!
    • Under the bonnet - how to check & topup oil, water, power steering & brake fluid. For water, power steering & brake fluids just show where the reservoirs are, for oil you should know where the filler cap and dipstick are. Also know how open the bonnet of the car you're using for the test - a friend of mine got caught out when he brought a Ford Focus, didn't know that the bonnet opens on the key...hey spent ages looking for a release catch before the tester gave him a Grade 2 for Tech checks.
    • Minimum tyre thread depth - 1.6mm
    • Never heard of them asking about steering but I would say any excess play in steering wheel, any wobble/vibration through steering wheel, pulling when on the straight or turning etc.
    • Tester will instruct you to check brake lights, indicators and fog lights. He'll stand at the back tell you when to depress brake pedal and when to turn on right/left indicator.
    • They will ask you to operate secondary controls, so know how to operate demisters, windscreen wash/wipe, heater rear screen (if fitted), fog lights, side lights, dipped lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Passed first time in Naas today! Soooo happy! :) Found this forum very helpful so thanks to everyone who has posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mancho

First time in Naas as well.. yes yes yes!!! Am so happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 samdavis

Passed first time this morning in Clonmel, over the moon!! Have been lurking in this forum for months, have found the advice invaluable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Passed first time in Castlebar with 3 grade 2's.

Found it much more relaxing having the examiner in the passenger seat rather than a crowd of drunken lads! Such a relief having the full license it must be said. Drove up to Dublin afterwards at my leisure.

Very frustrating having to wait 6 months to take the test but understandable at the same time.

Best of luck to anyone taking the test, just know your stuff and enjoy yourself is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just passed first time in Waterford - boo yaa!

There seemed to be some sort of training taking place in my test centre today, and a lot of instructers who weren't from the area down taking tests.

As a result I got a lad from a rural location, and he seemed to have a different view on driving. He wanted you to give really early signals coming up to junctions, roundabouts etc. that another person might consider to be misleading. I took note of this pretty quickly and adjusted my style slightly.

My advice to anyone who has one coming up - get the pre test lessons and cram like you would for a Leaving Cert!

Advertisement