Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

hardybuck wrote: »
    Just passed first time in Waterford - boo yaa!

There seemed to be some sort of training taking place in my test centre today, and a lot of instructers who weren't from the area down taking tests.

As a result I got a lad from a rural location, and he seemed to have a different view on driving. He wanted you to give really early signals coming up to junctions, roundabouts etc. that another person might consider to be misleading. I took note of this pretty quickly and adjusted my style slightly.

My advice to anyone who has one coming up - get the pre test lessons and cram like you would for a Leaving Cert!

Thanks for that. I am currently doing the pre-test lessons. Haven't the test booked yet until I am ready but hopefully be doing it in the summer sometime.
    Say I be taking a couple of more pre-test lessons as much as possible until I get to driving test standard.

I am treating preparing for the test like I would the leaving cert but still can't seem to stop making certain mistakes and need to get rid of a couple of habits too. Can't seem to shake them off despite all my practise!

That was unusual that he wanted you to signal earlier than usual, I guess he is used to doing lessons in rural areas that you probably need to indicate a little sooner than you would when in town. Though been told not to indicate too soon or too late either and to always cancel the indicator so as not to mislead. In general when it comes to taking a turn or a junction/roundabout you indicate nearer the time like say a landmark like a road sign. Or just before meeting the next turn rather than indicating at the turn before that one.

If you know and understand the rules of the road and limiting grade 2 faults then you be well on your way to pass of course practise like there is no tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Passed coach test this morning in Finglas - 2 grade 1's and 1 grade 2. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Passed on my second attempt yesterday in Cork - Wilton. Picked up my Licence today. What a feeling, window down, music playing, lovely day and no worries for driving alone or for L-Plates :)

Couldn't be happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Just passed today in Churchtown. Delighted! In the end session the guy wasn't too excitable and still pointed out my mistakes... I didn't really care at that point! Was just too happy that I passed my test. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gemi

D_D wrote: »
    Just passed today in Churchtown. Delighted! In the end session the guy wasn't too excitable and still pointed out my mistakes... I didn't really care at that point! Was just too happy that I passed my test. :D

So glad to see people are actually passing in Churchtown. Have mine there on Friday and absolutely bricking it!!! Congrats D_D!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

gemi wrote: »
    So glad to see people are actually passing in Churchtown. Have mine there on Friday and absolutely bricking it!!! Congrats D_D!!!!!

Same here except in Finglas. Let's hope your luck rubs on us!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

gemi wrote: »

I don't know why, but they are so strict with all the checks other than the actual driving...

For example, when he asked me the rules of the road questions, I answered them all word for word from the actual book but I still got a mark for it! Have no idea why.

And in the car checks I got a blue mark for a mystery thing there as well.

So my advice for Churchtown is to be overly prepared for everything other than the actual driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Passed my test for the second time this morning at the Finglas test centre. Absolutely over the moon with joy!! Can drive on my own now!! :D

I passed my Motorbike test (First time) last March 23rd in Finglas. Test was at 10.15 which suited me down to the ground as there was feck all traffic around, I think I stopped at only one set of traffic lights! I only got 2 blue marks for observation which may be because I overlooked at junctions or didn't look enough :confused:

Compared to the Car and Truck it really was a doddle but I'd like to remind anyone who's thinking of getting into biking, apply for your test asap as from January next year the test is being overhauled .i.e examiners on motorcycles, new manoeuvres in the test, increasing the minimum age for the A category (20 Years), new motorcycle categorys (AM,A2).

Anyway I have a free L-vest going if anyone needs one, It already has 2 passes under it's belt so I hope it brings someone the same luck as myself.

I attached my marking sheet if you want to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I passed my Motorbike test (First time) last March 23rd in Finglas. Test was at 10.15 which suited me down to the ground as there was feck all traffic around, I think I stopped at only one set of traffic lights! I only got 2 blue marks for observation which may be because I overlooked at junctions or didn't look enough :confused:

Compared to the Car and Truck it really was a doddle but I'd like to remind anyone who's thinking of getting into biking, apply for your test asap as from January next year the test is being overhauled .i.e examiners on motorcycles, new manoeuvres in the test, increasing the minimum age for the A category (20 Years), new motorcycle categorys (AM,A2).

Anyway I have a free L-vest going if anyone needs one, It already has 2 passes under it's belt so I hope it brings someone the same luck as myself.

I attached my marking sheet if you want to have a look.

Thanks for attaching that and well done to you smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

just passed first time in kilkenny with either four or five grade 2's and one or two grade ones - hit a curb on the way back to the test centre, went around the last roundabout in third AND stalled pulling into the test centre at the end, so just about i'd say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Passed in Castlemungret Limerick on Thursday..Third time's the charm (fourth time paying for it due to a dodgy indicator-was adamant the RSA wasn't getting another penney out of me) 3 grade two's. Test only lasted about fifteen/twenty minutes and the tester was absolutely lovely. Yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭1306

AHHHHH!! just passed in churchtown this morning!! I'm still in shock can't believe it I only started learning how to drive at Christmas!!! I hit the curb doing the reverse round corner and thought I had failed so that made me really calm!! absolutely over the moon!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

1306 wrote: »
    AHHHHH!! just passed in churchtown this morning!! I'm still in shock can't believe it I only started learning how to drive at Christmas!!! I hit the curb doing the reverse round corner and thought I had failed so that made me really calm!! absolutely over the moon!!!:D

Oh wow well done! Good on you!

Often bump kerbs but don't think you fail for that you'd fail if you mounted a kerb though!? You'd get a grade 2 for the bumping a kerb but a grade 3 for mounting a kerb, think that is it!??

Congrats! You must be delighted! Happy Motoring! Go get that pink licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Forgot to post here.

Passed first time back on Friday Jan-13th. Got the "Tester who fails everyone" for the first run of the morning. Thought he was very professional in the way he did everything but can see how someone could be off put by the "cold" manner of it.

Test centre is beside a school on one side and roadworks on the other reducing the road to one lane. (No fun whichever way I was going!). Set off at 9.15 with children coming out of every bush and treetrunk on the road and roadworkers on the way back.

Luckily only got a G2 mark at a left hand turn that had a car on the path right on the turn. Tester told me after he marked me as he couldn't see it was clear so wasn't sure how I could tell. He had told me I had passed at this point and wasn't going to argue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Wow, I don't know where to start...I finally passed yesterday on my, ahem, 7th attempt! :pac: It's hard to explain really. They came and went over the last two years and the memories all blend into one at this stage! And each one has a different hard luck story. When the confidence went, I just couldn't get it back.

I spent a fair bit of money on lessons and went to different instructors. I think that's where the confidence takes a real hit. I failed twice whilst taking lessons from one guy and then twice with another. After that I just couldn't face more lessons as I felt a pressure to pass and embarrassed because they knew how many times I had done it. I also stopped telling family/friends I was taking the test after the third for the same reason. I found this helped to shake off the disappointment.

I'm not going to give any advice on how to pass, because quite frankly it would be ironic. I just hope someone takes comfort in the fact that I failed 6 times before I passed and that it can happen. I consider myself the Fernando Torres of the driving test. Had the potential all along but couldn't perform on the big day...but look at me now! ;)

shamtastic wrote: »
    I consider myself the Fernando Torres of the driving test. Had the potential all along but couldn't perform on the big day...but look at me now! ;)

Excellent comparision! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

Passed mine in Donegal on Monday :D After i finished the questions at the start i was told id the hard part done. Wasnt sure what i was in for. Thought i failed on the turnabout because i stalled and it just wouldnt go back into gear. Was delighted that i passed! only been driving since January. Got 5 grade 1s and 8 grade 2s. My intructor said the lowest that tester gave was 7 grade 2s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Ward670 wrote: »
    Passed mine in Donegal on Monday :D After i finished the questions at the start i was told id the hard part done. Wasnt sure what i was in for. Thought i failed on the turnabout because i stalled and it just wouldnt go back into gear. Was delighted that i passed! only been driving since January. Got 5 grade 1s and 8 grade 2s. My intructor said the lowest that tester gave was 7 grade 2s

Well done, that was close, only one more grade 2 would have been a fail. Congrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gemi

1306 wrote: »

Ditto, on both counts. He somehow managed to take me to possibly the only corner I hadn't practiced on in the Churchtown the route, and I f-ed it u. I asked could I try it again, and he just told me to straighten it up and go on. Got two grade 2s on it, one for observation and one for competently. Honestly for the first 20 minutes of driving I wasn't sure he even had a pen, he marked nothing. Then in the last few minutes or so after I messed up the reverse I was messing up loads. Figured I had failed, but he brought me back in sat down at the desk, said absolutely nothing to me and whipped out the little pad of certs, I was like oh here we go another fail cert to add to my collection....but spotted eventually made out the competency upside down....and he eventually decided to tell me I passed! Seven grade twos overall, and he made sure to highlight that meant I was borderline and I needed to continue to work on it, but my god, I have never felt so relieved in my life!!!

I sat it just over a month ago and failed, despite getting all my manouevres spot on that day. Well, was third time lucky for me, and I am delighted. Madness, just so, so happy to finally be able to post here!!!!!! Yay :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Passed first time in Rathgar 20 mins ago... (by one!)

Only one word can sum up how I feel, relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I passed yesterday in Finglas - absolutely amazed that I passed! My instructor had me well prepped for failure, but in the end 4 green and 3 blue faults!

I'll keep the forum in the subscribed section until I really feel like I'm fully learned up (that may never happen) thanks for all the great posts

-A regular lurker in the forum!

Cliste wrote: »
    I passed yesterday in Finglas - absolutely amazed that I passed! My instructor had me well prepped for failure, but in the end 4 green and 3 blue faults!

I'll keep the forum in the subscribed section until I really feel like I'm fully learned up (that may never happen) thanks for all the great posts

-A regular lurker in the forum!

Not the worlds best recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Haha, I did three pre tests, and only passed one - obviously being a tough marker, but still it's not the kinda test that everyone passes first time round! He was a brilliant instructor.

Plus I felt very nervous while doing the test, waiting at the red lights just out from the centre I got very fidgity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

shamtastic wrote: »
    Wow, I don't know where to start...I finally passed yesterday on my, ahem, 7th attempt! :pac: It's hard to explain really. They came and went over the last two years and the memories all blend into one at this stage! And each one has a different hard luck story. When the confidence went, I just couldn't get it back.

I spent a fair bit of money on lessons and went to different instructors. I think that's where the confidence takes a real hit. I failed twice whilst taking lessons from one guy and then twice with another. After that I just couldn't face more lessons as I felt a pressure to pass and embarrassed because they knew how many times I had done it. I also stopped telling family/friends I was taking the test after the third for the same reason. I found this helped to shake off the disappointment.

I'm not going to give any advice on how to pass, because quite frankly it would be ironic. I just hope someone takes comfort in the fact that I failed 6 times before I passed and that it can happen. I consider myself the Fernando Torres of the driving test. Had the potential all along but couldn't perform on the big day...but look at me now! ;)

I was the same except I needed 8 to pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seano12

I never really posted much on this forum but I've been scanning through it the last few months as it's full of info.

Passed my test today second time with only one grade 2 for moving off, I'm delighted as it's a bonus for finding work and nearly a necessity in the country.

My advice is to wait until your 18/19 find a good instructor get a minimum of 8 lessons go through the road signs/ theory questions thoroughly and try to get out of bad habits etc

Best of luck to anyone with an upcoming test

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CD-R 80

Passed today in Tallaght.

3 grade 1's and 3 grade 2's.

5th time lucky. The funny thing was, I last failed it in Finglas about 9 months ago...and I had the same tester today!

Just concentrated really hard and thankfully done the business.

Some top notch info on this thread. Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Past Bus today In letterkenny Donegal. that makes a full house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Thank Christ that's over.Passed in Limerick today.Schools finishing everywhere at 2pm so there was parked cars everywhere. Had a lesson beforehand and made loads of mistakes which didn't fill me with confidence but only got 4 blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Passed in Raheny! Despite loads of practice around there, the tester managed to find a route I'd never been on! But it was ok :)

Advertisement