Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Passed in Finglas today!
    Had a bit of a panic when I was driving through one of the routes beforehand, first of all a huge amount of roadworks popped up overnight which made me a bit nervous, and then my granddad decided to let me know he'd forgot his licence....luckily I left myself with a lot of time to go back and pick it up :)

Then the theory etc. went grand!
    Though I managed to clip the kerb reversing round the corner....I just set myself and finished the maneuver. My examiner said after that was the right thing to do, just don't panic after doing that cos a lot of people do!
    Ended up with 6 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's.....delighted! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

Passed today in Raheny, 4 grade 2's (2 moving off, 1 turning right and 1 overtaking safely) and 3 grade 1's. Route for those interested was down the Howth Road, up Greendale Road, down to Kilbarrack Road and in around Kilbarrack before going down the Tonlegee Road and into Edenmore. Nice route and tester was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hexo

Just passed in Roscommon- second time lucky.

Here's my Roscommon experience, in case it helps anyone:

I got to sample both of the testers there. (I assume it's 2 in total as there are also 2 desks in the office)
    Both were straightforward enough. I asked one to move their seat forward before the reverse and he refused!! Not cool. But other than that, good clear instructions in both cases which is a help.

Errors:
    first time 'round I failed because I pulled out too soon on a roundabout: I didn't see a car shooting in from the right until my car's nose was a little too far in. Fair enough, honest error.
    However, this is still a matter of luck! If there had been no car there, that might just have been a grade 2 observation error instead of a grade 3. That's life. I had three grade 2's, two reaction to hazard (this could've been my hurried lane changes to let an ambulance pass, or just not indicating out when passing a parked car), one for gear (I have no clue about that one).

Second time around- I get a whopping SIX grade 1 errors. First test: no small errors, second one: lots of 'em all of a sudden?? No way that's right. This tells you that the marking sheet is NOT objective- it comes down to the marking style of the tester. Nothing short of a math exam is objective. I bet on the first test he just didn't bother writing any grade 1's down.

Those grade 1's were for stuff like position turning, progress moving off, one for gears (accidentally switched to 4th instead of 2nd, corrected it immediately)

Also got three grade 2's

- Once for overtaking road workers opening a manhole. I followed traffic in front as everyone overtook them, but I should have seen there was oncoming traffic waiting and it's technically their lane.
    That was a fair mark and I'm just glad it wasn't a grade 3, I was thinking I failed it at the time!

- Next one was for my corner reverse. That itself was fine but it got super busy- Someone decided to do a turn in the road behind me while traffic was having to pass me on the main road. Plus a kid on a bike whizzed past behind me. All this made me so nervous that I did the whole thing ridiculously slowly, and whenever I saw a car approaching I stopped till it passed. Turns out afterwards he said I should've kept going until they got closer, maybe then I would've avoided the whole situation where I was a huge obstruction to everyone there.
    I'd still advise people to err on the side of slow-ness on the reverse though- you're much less likely to mess up the reverse which could be worse than a grade 2!)

- last grade 2 was for lack of progress on the straight. I utterly fail to see how this is a "serious" fault. Yes I understand if you're repeatedly slow it demonstrates a lack of confidence and ability... but once? I went at 50kmh whenever I felt I could. I think that one time I sorta zoned out and accelerated to 50 later than I could have. But had I failed the test, I would've been seriously pissed about this mark putting me over the edge.

Other tips, even though most people on this thread will probably be done with all that! Still, it seemed too gloat-y to post on the unsuccessful thread..

• Don't peek at the score sheet- look at the road instead and simply try to assume you're ok, keep doing your best.

• Find a good instructor and take more lessons than you think you need! It's worth it if you can afford it.

• Dedicate a lesson to worst-case scenarios! These things will come to mind during the lesson- what if you make a wrong turn on the test? What if there's an animal on the road? Etc etc. Taking plenty of lessons also means you'll encounter many common problems. However, I was unprepared for the road workers, and the busy reverse, simply because those things had never happened on my lessons. Would've been better if I had asked beforehand. Put on your black hat and imagine all the worst things that could happen on your test.

• Study. Your instructor probably has a sheet of questions you might be asked, and there are plenty to be found on the interwebs too. Print them out, go through them, mark all the ones you are at all unsure about. Repeat those ones until your brain melts! Better yet, make yourself flash cards. I used an iPhone app for this which let me include images of roadsigns. Sure, it was overkill, but you want those answers to just roll of your tongue. Most of the questions are easy anyway. (Also, no matter how much you know, don't be a smartass on the day!)

• Be absolutely sure of the car you're using. Tester asked me how I'd turn on REAR fog lights. If I hadn't known that this car *only* has rear fog lights, I would've given a wrong answer, since on cars that have front and rear fog lights there is a second click as you're pulling out the switch. Just an example. Know your damn car.

• if your car has any quirks (brakes that aren't smooth, difficult gear shift, etc) get them fixed or use instructors car! So many on the "unsuccessful" thread have their car to blame for failing. It's not fair, but don't expect the tester to understand that it's your car and not you.

I had an excellent instructor. Apparently boards' rules are I'm not allowed to link his site here but if you want to know just PM me. Can't recommend him enough- does Castlebar and Roscommon, and I think also Galway?

and now, off to the motor tax office! Anybody have any tips on that? I need to get it today as I'm traveling tomorrow. Instructor said to get there in the morning and they'll have the license for you in the afternoon. We'll see..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I haven't been posting here really, but yesterday I PASSED. Was delighted. :D

Although I was full sure I failed during. Picked up 4 grade 2's and honestly, I don't know what they were for. I think one might have been for the revese around the corner. The tester had the seat so far back in my car, I couldn't see out the back side window. No joke.

My test was also 40 minutes long. Haven't a clue why. Seemed to be driving quite a lot.

Overall though very happy. Although, I was lucky to pass. The tester seemed to be a bit grumpy on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

hexo wrote: »

and now, off to the motor tax office! Anybody have any tips on that? I need to get it today as I'm traveling tomorrow. Instructor said to get there in the morning and they'll have the license for you in the afternoon. We'll see..

Well done!

Don't want to ruin your day, but getting your pink licence in one day is possible, but never heard of anyone lucky enough to have it so soon...
    Good advice from instructor, worth a shot, but normally they send it out to you by post. Have a good story covered before you head to MTO, hope you didn't use all your luck today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Passed, woo!

First time doing the test and was freaking out quite a bit by how much the instructor was making ticks during the journey. I'm used to my instructor doing that only when I've made a mistake so in my mind I had failed and had pretty much given up halfway through the test.

I apparently forgot entirely about the green ticks and actually passed though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I passed this afternoon! :)

It was my second attempt. I was worried because I had to use my instructor's car for the test, I couldn't get an NCT for my own car in time. I had only used his car once during a lesson yesterday so the feel of it was still very new and unusual. But I made it through with one grade 1, and two grade 2's. The practice, practice, practice paid off.

I'm delighted to have it out of the way, I haven't drank in a month but I might chance one tonight! Congrats to everyone else who passed and goodbye 'L' plates. :D

wonski wrote: »
    Well done!
    Don't want to ruin your day, but getting your pink licence in one day is possible, but never heard of anyone lucky enough to have it so soon...
    Good advice from instructor, worth a shot, but normally they send it out to you by post. Have a good story covered before you head to MTO, hope you didn't use all your luck today...

Thanks :) Luckily it worked, I got there soon after the office opened (9:30), said I was flying tomorrow. She asked for times, I showed her my ryanair checkin printout which she looked at rather intently.... It was like she was working out if I'd have time to swing by tomorrow before the flight? :eek:
    But it worked out fine, I came back around 2:30, waited a few minutes and she came out to give it to me. :cool:
    swiftblade wrote: »
    Although I was full sure I failed during. Picked up 4 grade 2's and honestly, I don't know what they were for. I think one might have been for the revese around the corner. The tester had the seat so far back in my car, I couldn't see out the back side window. No joke.

damn it, yes! Mine was the same. I even asked him to move his seat, he refused. I wonder if I should've gone all by-the-book on him, like if he's asking me to do a reverse, I'm gonna damn well stick up for myself and get to see out the window properly. But I wimped out.. I don't think they like attitude of any kind. So I just raised my seat a little, looked over my shoulder and said that would do.
    meh, I should've asked him about that after I had the cert in hand! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

Passed today in Wilton. Can't believe it. It was my second attempt and I got three grade 2 faults. Taking down those L-plates is the best feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

Passed today in Wicklow! second time doing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Been driving on a provo licence since I was 17 and from the ages of 17-22 I was driving a transit van around the country doing roughly 2000miles per week but I never went and got my full licence :eek:

Then in 2008 I had a bad accident and was unable to walk for about 1.5 years and total recovery took about 3 years. So driving in general was out the window during that time frame.

Then about 2 months ago I decided enough was enough and I was getting that licence. I got 2 lessons because I was rusty from all my time off the road and then my test was booked for today at 3.45pm.

Even though I have probably driven 500k miles or so since I was 17 I was still a bag of nerves.

The second we started the test though I just relaxed and drove how I normally do, reacting to things as I normally would and managed to pass the test without a single mark/fault

This may sound strange but to me getting this licence feels like a massive accomplishment. The last few years have been fairly tough on me but now I feel that I'm rounding a corner. Going to do bus and rigid next and see how that goes.

To anyone worried about taking the test, you should go for it! Even if you fail and have to redo it, its worth it.

Keep at it and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

LaVail wrote: »
    This may sound strange but to me getting this licence feels like a massive accomplishment.

Its not just you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Passing the test is a big accomplishment and don't let anyone tell you it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Passed 2nd time on Monday. It's a truely amazing feeling when the tester says "right...you passed!"

Thanks a million to everyone here who helped out with my question on overtaking parked vehicles. Wouldn't have done it without ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

been reading this forum for months now and waiting for my chance to post here, so here it is!

passed yesterday in Wilton, my 4th attempt :O :D got 2 grade 1's, and no grade 2's!

think I just relaxed this time and drove as I would normally! so happy that I'll never have to sit in that waiting room ever again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Seanh111 wrote: »
    been reading this forum for months now and waiting for my chance to post here, so here it is!

passed yesterday in Wilton, my 4th attempt :O :Dgot 2 grade 1's, and no grade 2's!

think I just relaxed this time and drove as I would normally! so happy that I'll never have to sit in that waiting room ever again! :)

That is very very impressive. Well done! I thought I did well enough with 4 grade 2s and around 8 or 9 grade 1s! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

I passed in Tuam today by the skin of my teeth with 8 grade 2's. yay! glad I didn't give up and get a test in automatic, like I'd considered. For encouragement, here's the breakdown of my preparation leading up to the test:

age 16- got a licence in America in automatic
    last year- got a provisional Irish license
    9 lessons in manual
    test #1: 28 grade 2's Galway
    test #2: 16 grade 2's Galway
    test #3: 15 grade 2's Galway
    1 driving lesson
    test #4: 13 grade 2's Tuam
    test #5: 8 grade 2's Tuam

I didn't do much before each test, but just the process of taking the test over and over, the faults began taking care of themselves. I hope that can console other drivers here who are sick at the thought of trying again after a failure. Be persistent and chip away at it. It's the same licence whether you get it the first time or the 10th.

I passed in Tuam today by the skin of my teeth with 8 grade 2's. yay! glad I didn't give up and get a test in automatic, like I'd considered. For encouragement, here's the breakdown of my preparation leading up to the test:

9 lessons in manual
    1 driving lesson

I didn't do much before each test, but just the process of taking the test over and over, the faults began taking care of themselves. I hope that can console other drivers here who are sick at the thought of trying again after a failure. Be persistent and chip away at it. It's the same licence whether you get it the first time or the 10th.

Well done! You basically used the tests as driving lessons. How long did the whole thing take??

This would indicate that Tuam is easier than Galway. Also, how did you manage 28 grade 2? What were they for? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

9 lessons in manual
    1 driving lesson

Persistence goes a long way congrats! Though doing as many pre-tests as possible and getting the experience of sitting a test does help improve your chances of passing the driving test at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 americandriver

hexo wrote: »
    Well done! You basically used the tests as driving lessons. How long did the whole thing take??

This would indicate that Tuam is easier than Galway. Also, how did you manage 28 grade 2? What were they for? :eek:

took a year and a couple months. applied for cancellations for all of the tests. The whole process (including lessons, tests, fees for the licences, eye exam) was 885 euros.

could be worse: http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/transport/most_attempts_to_pass_driving_test_Cha_Sa-soon_sets_world_record_101689.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

9 lessons in manual
    1 driving lesson
    Well done! It's encouraging to see that your grade 2 count got better with every test. A friend of mine got IIRC over 30 grade 2s on his first test, 15 on the next, then like 20... and passed it on the 4th time I think.

There really is no more valuable skill for anyone to have than infinite dogged persistence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for a few months and can now add my own bit of good news. I passed a few days ago in Galway. It was my first time to do the test and I got two Grade 1's (green colour) and one Grade 2 (blue colour).

It was in an automatic car so I will be restricted to an automatic licence but that is fine for me. I didn't have a car to practice in so just did lessons, which is expensive and difficult in a way, but then on the other hand it probably stopped me from picking up bad habits, and I didn't have the running expense of the car.

I thought the examiner was very clear in his instructions so that was a relief as I never had any confusion about where he wanted me to go, or what he wanted me to do. He was matter of fact but not grumpy or anything (for some reason I had gotten it into my head that he might be like a really cranky school master or something :confused: :pac:).

I was so nervous beforehand if it wasn't for the fact that I had told so many people I was doing the test, and that I had borrowed the instructors car, I might have chickened out :p.

I would encourage anyone who is very nervous to try to perservere, and also to find an instructor they feel comfortable with. I think if I can do it anyone can.

I'm so relieved not to have to repeat the test but I know I have a few things to work on and I'm thinking of getting one or two more lessons to go over a few things. I have my own car now as well so at least I will be able to practice more often.

Good luck everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

So i passed it today first time :D

4 grade 2 and 2 grade 1 in wet conditions, needless to say my instructor was delighted with me, he was telling me afterwards he thought i would of failed it because of my nerves, luckily i held it together and the few mistakes i did make were down to the nerves, all in all im delighted, just have the motorbike one to get through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lavisa

Passed yesterday in Rathgar! It was my 3rd attempt so I was delighted! Pre- test was awful, I made loads of mistakes, but think it helped - got all my mistakes out of the way before the test!

Also the tester was really friendly, think it helped put me at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Just passed in Tallaght. I got two grade 2's.

One for observation moving off, didn't look long enough over my right left shoulder

And one just stopping at an amber light when I should have continued. Could have easily been a grade 3 but he said that because everything else was grand that he let me away with it and because it was obvious that I knew I should have continued. (I said '****' quite loud once I stepped)

But I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Passed first time in Rathgar, so unbelievably relieved and happy about it.
    Found driving around yesterday with no passengers really strange but I'm sure I'll get used to it:D

This forum has been really useful in helping to prepare me so thanks guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Passed on my fourth attempt today in Dundalk, absolutely thrilled! Made a balls of reversing around the corner but passed nonetheless! The relief was so great I burst into tears when he said I'd passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Passed today in Churchtown, such a relief to have it all over and done with, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Finally got it on the third attempt :D
    I had the test in Carlow and was fairly nervous throughout. Got a bit panicky on the last stretch though and thought it was going to fall apart because I was picking up a fair few marks.
    But thank God it panned out ok :)

The examiner was dead on. I got one of the nice ones. Thankfully I didn't get a certain examiner (who shall remain nameless, but every learner in Carlow will know who I'm talking about), as I made sure I wouldn't get him when booking the test.

All in all, I got 5 blues, no greens or reds.

The key thing I would say is to do your best to keep your concentration thoughout, and as has been mentioned before many times on this forum don't give up if you think you've made a serious error, as it may only be a grade two fault.

And thanks to all the posters in this forum. Its a great resource for learner drivers, and I hope to continue posting on it.

And good luck to all those who've yet to do the test :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clo4cb

Passed on my first attempt :D
    Did my test in Wilton, went left, up by the hospital on towards Bishopstown. The lights weren't working :o Only got 2 grade 2's : one for my rules and checks (was asked where parking lights were?) and for right of way turning left (there was parked cars blocking my view and by the time I pulled out I was taking up most of the road so kept going).

Advertisement