Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

clo4cb wrote: »
    Passed on my first attempt :D
    Did my test in Wilton, went left, up by the hospital on towards Bishopstown. The lights weren't working :o Only got 2 grade 2's : one for my rules and checks (was asked where parking lights were?) and for right of way turning left (there was parked cars blocking my view and by the time I pulled out I was taking up most of the road so kept going).

Thats a tuff one, as most cars have them attached to the main head lights I dont even think it appropriate to give them a different designation, just call them head lights that you must turn on during low visibility, unless some cars come with specific "parking light controls". Happy to hear you passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Parking Lights ? Thats a first for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Passed a few weeks ago in Cavan, was around 12:30 in the afternoon and sat in traffic for 8 minutes. Was taken to the housing block on the Cootehill road; Rocklands, you have to do a five-point turn. Then down into Ardkeen to do the reverse, didn't do well in it.

Back to center a room in a hotel, waited to long at the Dublin road roundabout.

Good result. Was driving for about 8 months before, get 5 lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

Finally passed. Fourth time lucky. Glad to be done with that burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Tommie Kelly

Just passed in Dundalk. 3rd Attempt!

Had the same Tester as the last time, but he was very friendly and made me very relaxed.

Didn't do lessons this time, just watched the youtube videos from ISM over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Passed in churchtown on first attempt, thought i had failed as I caught a glance at the right hand side of the sheet and there was 5 marks :L turns out there was only 1 on the other side!

Asked me to reverse into a parking space when we got to the center as-well, was tempted to not even walk in at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcrystal

Passed first time in raheny yesterday :D was driving six months im delighted ,i was a little nervous but not much , 3 people in front of me failed :( thanks everyone for all our help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

redcrystal wrote: »
    Passed first time in raheny yesterday :D was driving six months im delighted ,i was a little nervous but not much , 3 people in front of me failed :( thanks everyone for all our help

I've Raheny next Thursday. Have you any tips? Which route did you do? I'm very nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcrystal

stick to the speed limit dont drive to slow, make small talk with the instructer on way out to car,look everywhere a really high level of observation is needed , mirror signal mirror then turn on corners , check mirrors every 10 seconds or so , drop gear and slow if a pestridian has even 1 foot on road , take your time dont rush its all about observation

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emerald Shilling

Passed first time in Churchtown yesterday, I'm absolutely delighted! I found a lot of useful information in this forum that really helped me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Passed on Friday in Rathgar it was my third time. 1st fail was reverse around the corner grade 3(had to do it on a hill)2nd Time I though I was fine but did not keep left enough on the road and 4 grade 2s for that was all she wrote.

Delighted its done once and for all. I used an instructor that covers the southside he is RSA and €25 per lesson so if anyone needs details pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Rothmans wrote: »

Thankfully I didn't get a certain examiner (who shall remain nameless, but every learner in Carlow will know who I'm talking about)

I got the one you mean and I passed first time with a mark. He is not as bad as everyone makes out.... (I'm also a young male)

Congrats though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Reati wrote: »
    I got the one you mean and I passed first time with a mark. He is not as bad as everyone makes out.... (I'm also a young male)

Congrats though :)

Oh by God n he is. He's a complete you-know-what. All the ADIs in the area are sick of him as he's a scurge on the town. He's why Carlow has the highest fail rate. Carlow is loosing a huge proportion of drivers to Naas, KK, Gorey and Portlaoise as they are being advised (by their instructors) to steer clear of this fellow, as he is a xxxx, and make no mistake about it.

I've had three tests, and with the other two examiners, I understood where each mark cam from. The first one told me I was a good driver, and I get it the next time (6 blues, one red). Then <unnamed examiner> plonks around 17 faults on my sheet, the vast majority of which he just made up. Third one I passed, sound examiner.

He's been getting suspended every few months because of his actions. And last year I believe he was suspended for a cumulative period of 10 weeks, over the space of four or five months.

You mightn't have suffered too much, as the RSA are now watching him like a hawk, and he can hardly afford to abuse the system any longer. Also, I've heard they're moving him around a bit now to try and dilute the effect he has on individual test centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Passed today at the age of 30....was told when I was 21 that I could never get a license due to my eye sight...not so now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Passed today at the age of 30....was told when I was 21 that I could never get a license due to my eye sight...not so now :)

Congrats. Who said that?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Congrats. Who said that?

Did an eye test years ago and was told my sight wasnt good enough.
    My prescription has been getting better the last few years so i got tested agaun and passed two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

My prescription has been getting better the last few years so i got tested agaun and passed two years ago.
    Congrats! How'd you manage to improve your eyesight like that? :)

Just seemed to get a better prescription...maybe going to a better optician aswell.

oh, kicked the tests ass today! on my 5th go:eek:
    It was typical test day blues, my brake lights were out on one side, even though they were checked the night before so I headed to advance pit-stop for some new bulbs. Although when I got there the guy behind the counter said " I haven't got anyone available right now" and I said just give me the bulb and I will do it myself. Taking a pretest before the actual test was great also.

I fixed a few things (going to fast around corners and watching things instead of looking further ahead) thanks to a good instructor, but overall I found Churchtown to be a great place to do the test, all my other ones were in Raheny:mad: which I wont comment on but do know why they only have a 40% pass rate. I only got 2 blue for checking mirrors when over taking. Thanks for all the Advice about hill starts and driving Automatics, it did help me on the day.:D

213760.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Passed today in Navan; my first test so delighted to get through it.

No major issues and pretty much sailed through it :)

Had a great instructor who I would highly recommend; if anybody is looking for someone in the louth/meath region, pm me and I will send you on his details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 hamal

Passed on Tuesday in Mullingar!:) Passed first time, I'm a 17 year old young lad aswell.. I had to do the whole EDT lark and i'm fairly sure it paid off in the end, along with two pretest lessons and a bit of confidence in my own ability:) Now to try get insured at a reasonable rate.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

oh, kicked the tests ass today! on my 5th go:eek:
    It was typical test day blues, my brake lights were out on one side, even though they were checked the night before so I headed to advance pit-stop for some new bulbs. Although when I got there the guy behind the counter said " I haven't got anyone available right now" and I said just give me the bulb and I will do it myself. Taking a pretest before the actual test was great also.

I fixed a few things (going to fast around corners and watching things instead of looking further ahead) thanks to a good instructor, but overall I found Churchtown to be a great place to do the test, all my other ones were in Raheny:mad: which I wont comment on but do know why they only have a 40% pass rate. I only got 2 blue for checking mirrors when over taking. Thanks for all the Advice about hill starts and driving Automatics, it did help me on the day.:D
    <pic>

Congrats! What's the big A on the testing sheet? Was the tester doodling during the test? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Congrats Chris, well done, great that you kept at the driving and passed.

I say he just got an A for progress not having gotten a mark, I think it rare not to get a mark for it! That's my 2 cents and what I have been told by instructors...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

doovdela wrote: »
    Congrats Chris, well done, great that you kept at the driving and passed.

I say he just got an A for progress not having gotten a mark, I think it rare not to get a mark for it! That's my 2 cents and what I have been told by instructors...

It is rare to get as few marks as Chris did, but I've never heard of the tester giving out A's :p

Put us out of our misery Chris! Is it something to do with the test being in an automatic perhaps?

It is rare to get as few marks as Chris did, but I've never heard of the tester giving out A's :p

Put us out of our misery Chris! Is it something to do with the test being in an automatic perhaps?

yeah I asked him after the test, I was hoping it was an A for great driving:p but he said it was just to remind himself that it was an Automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ah that explains it! An Automatic!

Well done on progress though! You did really well with the few marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Congrats Chris! I am sitting my test for the 4th time in Tallaght end of August and I have my first lesson today so damn nervous! I am also doing in an Automatic so great to see someone else who also did it in one! Congrats to everyone who passed maybe someday I will get to say I passed as well... here's hoping! Think at this stage I will probably pass out if I get the 'you have been successful speech :p!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Passed my test in Churchtown today ! been driving nearly two years, permit almost up ! first time doing it ! delighted cant believe it ! messed up reverse around corner went quite wide ! but only got 2 grade ones, one for rules/checks he showed me 2 signs i'd never seen before, and dunno what the other was for ! and 5 grade 2s ! for reverse, right turn, hazards and observation i think ! So happy ! if anyone needs name of a great instructor that covers South Dublin and Churchtown PM me :)

just to let all those who dont know, the Churchtown test center is closing down on the 25th of August due to building regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

Passed my test yesterday first time. So happy. I was so nervous, convinced I was going to fail. I only got 2 marks in total. It was raining heavily for the whole test which made me even more nervous. The tester also took me on a completely different route to the ones I had being practicing with my driving instructor but I was grand in the end.:)

Advertisement