Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ashl

alfman wrote: »
    Passed my test yesterday first time. So happy. I was so nervous, convinced I was going to fail. I only got 2 marks in total. It was raining heavily for the whole test which made me even more nervous. The tester also took me on a completely different route to the ones I had being practicing with my driving instructor but I was grand in the end.:)

Hey Alfman

Congrats on passing your test and well done on only getting 2 marks! Where did you do your test?

Ashl

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

I did my test in Dundalk.

alfman wrote: »
    I did my test in Dundalk.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Congrats Chris! I am sitting my test for the 4th time in Tallaght end of August and I have my first lesson today so damn nervous! I am also doing in an Automatic so great to see someone else who also did it in one!
    When learning in my old Fiesta, it was stressful enough having to learn how to see the road properly, anticipate hazards, keep the right position, maintain proper progress etc, and on top of that managing the clutch and gears was just another needless thing to be worrying about. Same with my friend who just passed a couple of months back - regardless of the other improvements he made to safe driving, he always struggled with clutch and gears. Eventually it became second nature and it wasn't a problem anymore, but it took some time and frustration, learning that alongside all the other important driving skills.

Honestly I don't know why more people don't learn and do their first test in an automatic, separating the arbitrary puzzle of shifting gears and getting that feel for the clutch from the more important task of simply driving safely, and then maybe a year later start doing some lessons in a manual and do another test in that.
    Plus it's much more relaxing driving an automatic, especially when you're still new to it - and that always helps going into the test. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Hi all, passed this evening in rathgar, such a relief :)

Does any one know will my insurance decrease after I got full licence.
    Thanks for all people. This forum really helped me lot.

• Advertisement

powerstar wrote: »

Well done powerstar! I would say that your insurance should go down but not sure by how much.

Ashl

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

powerstar wrote: »

I passed recently and had paid for the full years insurance. When I rang up my insurance company to tell them I now had a full licence they gave me a refund of €79. I'm sure the amount differs for different policies but you should get a refund.
    And congrats on passing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was sick most of the week and went into the test thinking I'd die/fail. 7 grade 2's. Pretty happy considering how nervous and tired I was. I maybe had 4 hours sleep last night.

Passing made my Summer though. NO MORE L PLATES (after I get the full-license obv).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NotSoTall

passed on wednesday in churchtown, the sense of relief was enormous:)

best feeling ever!

NotSoTall wrote: »
    passed on wednesday in churchtown, the sense of relief was enormous:)

best feeling ever![/Quote

Well done NotSoTall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

Passed today in Cork with no faults at all. Delighted!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

harryohh wrote: »
    Passed today in Cork with no faults at all. Delighted!

Well done, no faults! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Passed . My god what a feeling :D. 7 grade 2's so just about . Got given out to for my speed and not over taking a van turning right by going into the bus lane :P. Woooop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

aghhhhhhhhhh

just passed in tallaght 2nd time.. only got 2 blue marks and it was the toughest route and got them right at the end of the test when nerves were kicking in

so relieved..!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

passed in Churchtown yesterday, 3 grade 2's and 1 grade 1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Passed in tallaght today. 6 grade 1's and 1 grade 2...bye bye L Plates hello Motorway lesson :D between that and the sun today is just the best day EVER!! With help from a lot of tips from experienced people on this forum and an excellent driving instructor. Yeehaw :cool:

Babooshka wrote: »
    Passed in tallaght today. 6 grade 1's and 1 grade 2...bye bye L Plates hello Motorway lesson :D between that and the sun today is just the best day EVER!! With help from a lot of tips from experienced people on this forum and an excellent driving instructor. Yeehaw :cool:

yesterday was a perfect day for me too, passed in tallaght too and with the sun beaming down it was straight to a beer garden to celebrate :)

had a pre-test the night before and another an hour before the test and i was jittery before the test but those practice runs really helped me and of course the routes we covered we actually did in the test... such relief to pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

madma wrote: »
    Babooshka wrote: »

yesterday was a perfect day for me too, passed in tallaght too and with the sun beaming down it was straight to a beer garden to celebrate :)

had a pre-test the night before and another an hour before the test and i was jittery before the test but those practice runs really helped me and of course the routes we covered we actually did in the test... such relief to pass it
    Me too on the beer garden! Congrats, it's a fantastic feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Passed my test in Churchtown today!

What a big change from my experiences last time.

The tester today(a different person) was very realistic - it felt like he was expecting me to drive well, not trying to get me to jump through hoops.

Great feeling to have passed - was going to try and rush into getting the EB licence, but think I'll wait a bit and savour this success!

I am so happy I'll never have to drive the back roads of Churchtown again!

psicic wrote: »
    Passed my test in Churchtown today!

What a big change from my experiences last time.

The tester today(a different person) was very realistic - it felt like he was expecting me to drive well, not trying to get me to jump through hoops.

Great feeling to have passed - was going to try and rush into getting the EB licence, but think I'll wait a bit and savour this success!

I am so happy I'll never have to drive the back roads of Churchtown again!

similar to my experience i had a big rant on my 1st attempt last year over in the unsuccessful thread.. not sure how to link the post like you did

same story really the examiner i had was very realistic too.. made me feel at ease, was friendly at the start and throughout it just went perfect. passed mine on friday 2nd time still on a high.. got to the motor tax office today to get it sorted..

congrats! big relief eh!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Floria

Sorry to post here cos i failed today but i really need suggestion from the friends who did the test successful.

HI I am a poor girl just failed the test (for the first time) in westside,galway

I used my own car. The tester was very nice though i failed..shamed of myself.

I had a horrible instructor with my EDT lessons. He always focused on letting me

to book more lessons instead of correcting my bad driving habit which i first know

in the test! After he knew i bought my own car and did not intend to book any

pre-test lessons with him, he said little words in my last two EDT lessons. And he

was always late,cutting my lesson's practice time.So i did my pre-test lesson

with some friends with good driving skills which i realise it is not enough.

The tester suggest me to find a good instructor and improve my skills.

So now i am desperately looking for a good local instructor.Please give me any

suggestion. Thanks million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There is an 'unsuccessful' thread on here though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055107597

I suggest get a new driving instructor, took me three instructors to get the right one for me and never thought I'd even manage to sit a test without the one I have now. I failed myself but just need to work on a few things despite being so close to passing. I just have to keep practising.

Keep practising and if you getting practise with your friends and using your own car its great, the more practise you get in the better chance you have in passing. Take note where you have bad habits and where you failed your test. Take the advice from the tester they know what will help you if they offer that advice, take it all on board.

Often or not its the bad habits that cost you the test, though with sufficient practise and tuition from a driving instructor will help in the long run and get a lot of pre-tests done if you can. They can really assess how you are doing by gradually bringing your faults down and looking at where you need to work on.

A lot of it is down to you really can you recognise the faults and know how to correct them, you have to kind of stop yourself from making them especially if you can see that you are making the mistakes and know what they are that's half the battle just ask someone or an instructor how you can correct them if you are unsure yourself. Its up to him to point them and explain to you how to correct them but its up to you to correct them! Doing so the right way can really help your chances of passing.

An instructor point them out mistakes and how to correct them but you need an idea as to how to spot them and correct them and that is from driving every day, constant practise and gaining a lot of driving experience in all sorts of conditions and situations, its the only way to build up your confidence and experience.

No instructors names or driving schools can be mentioned on the forum its the rules. Though post in the 'driving instructors' thread to ask for those who could recommend a driving school/instructor in your local area and they can PM you. Can only be discussed via PM to protect the Identity of instructors and driving schools.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529095

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Passed, 7 blues and 1 green, tough enough but I was so nervous I was pretty sure I had failed, cut out twice and even tipped the kerb as well.

A pass is a pass though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Passed my test first time today in Kilkenny. So delighted 3 blues and 2 greens done better than I thought. I find that plenty of driving lessons help. So happy and wouldn't have liked to have to resist it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woof19

Passed my test second time around in Churchtown on Thursday,Strangely enough i got 6 grade 2's with no grade 1's.I thought I would have got maybe 3 or 4 grade 1's,but who cares now.Also I didn't have my own car to practice in,so just my instructers car.It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Passed today in Donegal, second attempt :D Really wasn't sure until he told passed me the certificate of competence and asked me to sign it :D

Just wondering how long it takes to get the license? And is there any way of speeding it up? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Passed my test today on first attempt! Got a few grades 2, apparently for not paying enough attention to potential cars coming from left when turning right (ie. observation faults). I didn't realise until today just how robotic the tester would be, she couldn't have sounded any more bored. However much people complain about them here, I still wouldn't do the job for any money. It's dangerous, monotonous, and you get nothing but flack!

Thanks for all who have posted questions/ answers on this forum, they were very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

So finally decided doing the driving test was getting boring and passed in Cavan today :D

Got 2 grade 2s for progress - both caused by other drivers driving really slowly and I wasn't 100% whether I should pull out or not and said to myself I'd take the 2 progress marks for the team rather than pull out and realise the car was actually coming faster than I though it was and get a grade 3 for something and fail on it. I know exactly what I did wrong and it wouldn't happen in my day to day driving but just really really really didn't want to fail on something I could avoid if possible just in case the other cars went and started to pick up speed or something - who knows but I wasn't letting it happen.

Clipped the kerb on the reverse which was a real sickener for me as over the past 2 months I've been practising it flat out and was pretty much able to nail it every time lately - nerves must have gotten me slightly but what ya gonna do - I know myself that the other 99 times I do it I'll do it alright. Was more of a disappointment than all the other marks put together as I've come from being absolutely terrible at it to being fairly decent at it and messing it up during the test was such a downer but didn't let it get to me.

Got 2 marks for observation for moving off and turning left which I'm not 100% what they were for as I made sure at every single junction or time I was pulling out from anywhere that I looked around like a mother****er and I always do this even when practicing driving so. These are the marks that I can't understand why the tester won't just point out and say what I did wrong. For all I know I'm doing something wrong that I don't know and I still am no wiser.

It's been a long auld road getting here between the RSA not sending me an email or text or anything about my test date to showing up at 9am to find out the tester was sick at the rescheduled date. Then failing on one occasion becasue the tester gave me about 2 seconds notice to pull into a really narrow side road when I was driving at 50kmph which ended up getting me a grade 3 for turning left as I physically couldn't slow the car down enough and do the full observation routine in the time I had to turn. Then failing on a grade 3 another day for not doing proper observation when parking the car (go back to me saying I look around at literally everything before doing anything nearly) - a grade 3 seemed very harsh in any case. Worst was that in both of these test I was under the 9 allowed marks so would have passed otherwise a lot time ago. Just needed the stroke of luck of not having anything stupid like that happen to me and I got it :)

Lots still for me to learn but having the pressure of the test off my shoulder is such a relief - cheers for all the help I've gotten in here over the past 18 months or so. Learned a hell of a lot from ye all and still can learn even more no doubt. I will try to keep popping back in here anyways to either help anyone I can or even just to learn some more stuff myself.

Damn it feels good when you here him say "Well you passed" regardless of how unenthusiastic he might sound about it :D:D

Next in line - get a car and learn to parallel park it - that'll be fun for the first couple of goes :o Anyone got any life size polystyrene cars that I can practice between :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    So finally decided doing the driving test was getting boring and passed in Cavan today :D

Got 2 grade 2s for progress - both caused by other drivers driving really slowly and I wasn't 100% whether I should pull out or not and said to myself I'd take the 2 progress marks for the team rather than pull out and realise the car was actually coming faster than I though it was and get a grade 3 for something and fail on it. I know exactly what I did wrong and it wouldn't happen in my day to day driving but just really really really didn't want to fail on something I could avoid if possible just in case the other cars went and started to pick up speed or something - who knows but I wasn't letting it happen.

Clipped the kerb on the reverse which was a real sickener for me as over the past 2 months I've been practising it flat out and was pretty much able to nail it every time lately - nerves must have gotten me slightly but what ya gonna do - I know myself that the other 99 times I do it I'll do it alright. Was more of a disappointment than all the other marks put together as I've come from being absolutely terrible at it to being fairly decent at it and messing it up during the test was such a downer but didn't let it get to me.

Got 2 marks for observation for moving off and turning left which I'm not 100% what they were for as I made sure at every single junction or time I was pulling out from anywhere that I looked around like a mother****er and I always do this even when practicing driving so. These are the marks that I can't understand why the tester won't just point out and say what I did wrong. For all I know I'm doing something wrong that I don't know and I still am no wiser.

It's been a long auld road getting here between the RSA not sending me an email or text or anything about my test date to showing up at 9am to find out the tester was sick at the rescheduled date. Then failing on one occasion becasue the tester gave me about 2 seconds notice to pull into a really narrow side road when I was driving at 50kmph which ended up getting me a grade 3 for turning left as I physically couldn't slow the car down enough and do the full observation routine in the time I had to turn. Then failing on a grade 3 another day for not doing proper observation when parking the car (go back to me saying I look around at literally everything before doing anything nearly) - a grade 3 seemed very harsh in any case. Worst was that in both of these test I was under the 9 allowed marks so would have passed otherwise a lot time ago. Just needed the stroke of luck of not having anything stupid like that happen to me and I got it :)

Lots still for me to learn but having the pressure of the test off my shoulder is such a relief - cheers for all the help I've gotten in here over the past 18 months or so. Learned a hell of a lot from ye all and still can learn even more no doubt. I will try to keep popping back in here anyways to either help anyone I can or even just to learn some more stuff myself.

Damn it feels good when you here him say "Well you passed" regardless of how unenthusiastic he might sound about it :D:D

Next in line - get a car and learn to parallel park it - that'll be fun for the first couple of goes :o Anyone got any life size polystyrene cars that I can practice between :pac:

Congratulations on the pass. Check out YouTube for short tutorials on various manoeuvres including parallel parking. As with everything on the Internet there are some good ones and other not so good ones. Best of luck with the driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Passed in Rathgar today! I AM ONE OF THE 37%

4 marks overall, all of which I could tell him what they were for, much clearer picture than the fail I got in churchtown a month ago.

Advertisement