Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Oh how I have longed to post in this thread :D *kisses beautiful shiny floor of thread*

Finally passed this morning in Finglas :D 2nd attempt, thought I might have messed it up completely at a couple of points, but I got it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Delighted to be able to post here......I passed this afternoon on my 2nd attempt, so I'm over the moon, and so relieved! My test was at 2.55pm, right on cue for the schools finishing up, meaning the place was very busy. I was brought on a completely different route than my last test, and had to do the turnabout and hillstart in unfamiliar places, so along with the torrential rain, I wasnt feeling overly confident, and was pleasantly surprised when the tester told me I had passed. I couldnt believe it actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

carleigh wrote: »
    Delighted to be able to post here......I passed this afternoon on my 2nd attempt, so I'm over the moon, and so relieved! My test was at 2.55pm, right on cue for the schools finishing up, meaning the place was very busy. I was brought on a completely different route than my last test, and had to do the turnabout and hillstart in unfamiliar places, so along with the torrential rain, I wasnt feeling overly confident, and was pleasantly surprised when the tester told me I had passed. I couldnt believe it actually. :)
    Congrats. Getting a bad time can really put people off, even before getting in the car just thinking about it. Happy solo driving carleigh! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

carleigh wrote: »

Fair play well done no more looking over your shoulder looking out for the boys in blue

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Very happy to have passed first time today in Tallaght. Female tester, very pleasant, and while not exactly chatty did put me at ease. Roads were quiet (test time 2.55pm) all pretty straightforward. Really didn't think I'd get it first time around, so delighted :)

Got 6 blues: 2 for position (turning right and turning left), 1 observation (turning right), 2 react to hazards (truck reversing out from side road on right ahead of me, I slowed way down but continued (it wasn't yet on the road), apparently should have let it out in case there was another vehicle hiding the other side of it which I couldn't see, , and 1 for the reverse (ending slightly out from kerb). Wasn't at all sure if I had got it - I was aware of pretty much each of the above at the time, and figured that there could be other observations etc that I wasn't aware of.

Also 3 greens - position turning left, vehicle controls: footbrake and clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Got only 3 blues.
    Fair play to Harrington School of Motoring in Tralee. Best hundred euros I ever spent.
    Got chatting about work and hurling with the tester after about 5 mins so I was fairly confident for the remaining 10 or so minutes.
    It was my third time doing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lazy_K

SO SO SO Happy to be posting here!

Passed First time in Waterford today!
    The instructor was a big guy! his knees were up to his chest! siting in my mini! I couldn't see out the passengers back window doing the reverse around the conner, because of him! completely winged it! and can I say it was the best reverse I've ever done!

Think the way I passed was telling myself out loud, what I was going to do next! for example! roundabout coming up drop down to second gear! or new road new mirrors! Think this really showed the instructor I knew what I was doing!

Either that or he taught i was mental!

First post in boards but have being lurking around this thread for a while! Got some great tips from it!

YIPPPPEEE so happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Conor94

I passed first time today. I got 1 green and 3 blues (all in different sections). The test went really well, apart from when the tester did a sly fart and stunk up the car about halfway through.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Yay, another happy first time pass in Tralee!

Delighted as was nervous but it went well. I was only driving for 16 or 17 mins and I started to relax when the initially very gruff tester suddenly decided to start chatting to me, I guess I'd done enough by then. 5 blues, but 4 of those were for progress at left and right turns where I was being über (too, obviously!) cautious due to nerves. Luckily I realised he was faulting me so was more decisive for the rest of the test. I don't mind about those as I would drive more progressively normally. The other was for a hazard - stoopid pothole that appeared out of nowhere! I'm really pleased not to have got any for observation etc, or for my achilles heel reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 thehand123

Passed my driving test in Rathgar yesterday on the first attempt with 3 blues and 1 green, 2 for progress (straight and lights), 1 for competency in reversing. Overall I was positively surprised by the experience, nothing as hard as I expected even though a lot of preparation is still needed.

I’ve been driving with an instructor since March 2012, with a gap during the summer due to travels. Re-started training this October and hence passed the test after 2 months. Have done 3 mock tests in total. Advice: Don’t do them immediately before the test itself as they can be very damaging to your self-confidence.

The test:
    - A very rainy and dark afternoon hence a lot of traffic on the road.
    - Nice examiner even though I learnt afterwards he has a reputation for being strict.
    -Theory Q+A: What’s the rules of the box junction? When to use dipped headlights? If you have broken down on the side of the road what should you do?
    Signs: Slippery road, end of dual carriage way, school children, hospital, and cattle on the road. Overall the questions were very straight forward and in my mind set the tone for the rest of the test. My advice: Know it well and make a good impression early!
    - Technical checks: Not much really. The examiner skipped the bonnet checks, probably due to the horrible weather. Asked to demist back window, front window, wipers and window washing. Was specifically asked to keep demisters on and keep the cabin warm. Was going to anyway due to the weather.

The drive: Can’t really recall the exact route but looking over the previous summaries given it seems it was more or less the standard Rathgar route. Was severely hindered when doing the reverse as another driving school car pulled right up behind me when I was reversing! My examiner was not pleased with the driver and we had to wait for at least 3 mins before I could complete the manouver. Not sure about the blue mark on the manouver, could be I was overly cautious. Hill start was the only other major event as with the slippery road the front tires slipped somewhat at the start, had to overrev the engine but the examiner didn’t seem to care.

The main thing I liked with the test was how the examiner isn’t constantly looking at you. I found this quite troublesome during the mocks while yesterday he was more looking at the scenery and into shops windows. He started doing this about halfway through the test and in fact it was very comforting! The test itself is over in a flash, drove for about 40 mins but it felt like turning a couple of corners and suddenly you are parking back at the test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

thehand123 wrote: »
    Was specifically asked to keep demisters on and keep the cabin warm. Was going to anyway due to the weather

Can't have him getting cold, can we!? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

Glad to post here as I passed today afternoon(14.05 test time)in Raheny.. its my 2nd attempt.. first attempt was long time ago in 2010 in Finglas(just after that big snow)... Preliminary questions and vehicle checks went easy.. Tester was cool and nice guy... Talked about weather n stuff on the way to car...He seemed rushing thru... only asked engine oil check and window washer... it was busy after noon there in All Saints Park road.. may be school or ? funeral or something.. So i decided to park other direction past T junction on right of test centre...( In diection of Ann's Park).. so went ahead to round about and right then straight ahead to Howth road and then to SybilHill , may be 5 minutes in that road, then to left to Seafiled Road and took me to Mount Prospect Ave and did revers in Saint Gabriel Road( yesterday i didn turn about here)... and turn about in Dollymount avenue( I had a car from left half way, but i stopped till other car aslo stopped, then blaa a cut out, and couple of pedestrians @ back, managed to it in 3 point) and back to Mount prospect ave and few minutes drive to clontarf road(james larkin) and left turn to watermill road and hill start... and back to test centre... Overall may be 35-40 minute drive.

I tought i lost it in that cut out during turnabout and observations... surprised to see no mark at all there. Got lucky to pass with 7 blues and couple of greens coz of no mark for cut out.. I didnt give up after that , i had it in mind , if i pass it will be narrow one, so make sure dont make anymore mistakes and i did not after that.. Happy and surprised after he told me i'm passed... Nice man ( may be to nicest of all testers there in Raheny felt that way)...told happy christmas and out of there.... I'm still in that effect.....

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Passed to today on my third attempt in Navan. Started driving in March -so i'm really happy to have it all over with! Really nice examiner, had him on my first attempt also. I think all of his comments and marking are fair. Six grade twos and 3 grade ones.
    A couple of hairy moments where stopped car pulled out in front of me without indicators and when a BE bus pulled out when I was right beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My husband passed this morning in Cork! :D

Had a bad practice the day before, and had to replace a front tyre in a hurry as we'd only just discovered it was bald, but hey! We got a result...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭B

passed today in wilton 4th time doing it only delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

ABajaninCork and B,

what route did you and the Husband take ? i will be doing mine start of feb and don't know my way much around ballyphehane, and i cant seem to get a full licence driver so cant really practice on it, also what questions were you asked ? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

ABajaninCork and B,

what route did you and the Husband take ? i will be doing mine start of feb and don't know my way much around ballyphehane, and i cant seem to get a full licence driver so cant really practice on it, also what questions were you asked ? thanks

He went out round Glasheen way, I think. Wasn't asked about the engine. He was asked about overtaking (what to do when being overtaken); when should th lights be on, and one other we can't remember.

HTH & Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

He went out round Glasheen way, I think. Wasn't asked about the engine. He was asked about overtaking (what to do when being overtaken); when should th lights be on, and one other we can't remember.

HTH & Good Luck!

Thanks for that :) don't seem to bad, i will go for the pre-test the day before or the morning i have my test just to make sure im ready for it, i really do think i will pass though, i don't have any problems driving, thanks for the quick response! and congratulations to the hubby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ed Sheeran

I passed mine in June, was driving since the end of October, when I was 17 but wasn't able to apply until I had 6 months driving experience.
    I wanted to apply for it as soon as possible for reasons like, next year they're bringing in the "N" sign which is ridiculous. Thank god I won't have to do that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I passed today on my first attempt in Raheny Dublin. Tester was a gent he was totally decent to me when I royally ****ed up the reverse around the corner. He said look apart from this blimp you are doing well don't let it faze you and we can move off when you are ready. He really did calm me down and Im so grateful for his decency. I had a pretest for the hour before and it really helped. Im so thrilled that i never have to do another driving test again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ladypip wrote: »
    I passed today on my first attempt in Raheny Dublin. Tester was a gent he was totally decent to me when I royally ****ed up the reverse around the corner. He said look apart from this blimp you are doing well don't let it faze you and we can move off when you are ready. He really did calm me down and Im so grateful for his decency. I had a pretest for the hour before and it really helped. Im so thrilled that i never have to do another driving test again:D
    Very nice of him. I had a pretty big problem ending up in the wrong lane going onto a roundabout due to the tester giving the wrong directions, really not nice sitting in the car trying to complete the route thinking you've already failed, turns out I didn't in the end.
    Congrats on passing. Now its time for you to get that coveted pink piece of paper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

May be u got same guy i got on 10th... first desk on left when u enter into test office.... i had a cut out middle turnabout when a car from left and 2 pedestrians on back same time.. but no mark in that...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Xers wrote: »

May be u got same guy i got on 10th... first desk on left when u enter into test office.... i had a cut out middle turnabout when a car from left and 2 pedestrians on back same time.. but no mark in that...
    Same guy. I did get marked down for my mistake but i think he was trying to let me know id pass if I didnt let it unsettle my nerves snd continued to drive well.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Passed today in navan, 1 blue and 1 green mark,still cant believe it,this is my 6th attempt. Did 1 in raheny, fair fail, and 4 in tallaght, always got the worst testers in tallaght and the last time i decided i was going to try a center not in dublin, am so happy, tester was very good, best happy new year present for me,pink licence, yeahhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

well done get it in quick before the price increase, youll have the pink paper one if you do it quick and it will be €30 cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Will definately do it 1st thing monday morning before work,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Same guy. I did get marked down for my mistake but i think he was trying to let me know id pass if I didnt let it unsettle my nerves snd continued to drive well.
    I'm almost sure I had the same tester. He seemed fair, I had a few silly mistakes but he told me I'd satisfied the criteria to pass. I'd heard mixed things about the testers in Raheny but he was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Just passed my test, my tester was <snip> in finglas test center - serious man when required to be such :D
    Got 4 grade 2's though, but still a pass :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Seriously though, congrats. :) Apsolutly delighted for you! :)

Advertisement