Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 her0fire

Delighted to say I passed my driving test first time in Tallaght today with only 2 grade 2s! Reading this thread really helped me so hope anyone reading this and going to do their test soon, passes it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 islandlady

So thrilled to be posting this! I passed my driving test in Naas this morning and I honestly couldn't be any happier! My tester was the loveliest man and completely put me at ease. I had 4 grade 2s and 2 grade 1s.

Grade 2s were for road position turning right, progress on the straight (should have went into fourth, stayed in 3rd) and lack of observation out the back window on my reverse. Grade 1 was for a funny situation where a pedestrian went almost out in front of me (like to the edge of the car) and kinda looked a me to see if he could go. I wasn't sure what he was doing so I kinda went to let him go. Tester said it was a funny one so just got a Grade 1 for it. Also a Grade 1 for reaction to hazards which I can't remember, it may be for the same situation.

Anyway, I PASSED! Couldn't be happier! The very best of luck to anybody reading this before their test! I managed to cut out at the start of my reverse around a corner and just asked could I go again, took a deep breath and started again. Just stay calm, lots of deep breaths and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Passed on my second attempt today. I never have to look in my mirrors again! :pac:

Yes you do, unless you want a big cyclists claim on your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Passed in Churchtown today! Failed in Finglas about a month ago and was full sure that I had failed today, didn't quite believe the tester when he gave me a certificate of competency with my name on it. The change of venue was purely down to where a cancellation was available, but I think it helped. I knew Finglas too well, and was almost predicting where the tester would bring me. I had a pre test in Churchtown last week and I drove around the routes a few times myself, but it was still quite fresh and helped me focus up. The relief is mighty lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Passed in Churchtown today! Failed in Finglas about a month ago and was full sure that I had failed today, didn't quite believe the tester when he gave me a certificate of competency with my name on it. The change of venue was purely down to where a cancellation was available, but I think it helped. I knew Finglas too well, and was almost predicting where the tester would bring me. I had a pre test in Churchtown last week and I drove around the routes a few times myself, but it was still quite fresh and helped me focus up. The relief is mighty lads.

Well done!! Great feeling! :) congrats and safe driving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Passed first time on Friday in Castlemungret, Limerick. Got 3 grade 2's. So delighted as less than a year ago I thought I would never drive due to nerves. I bought my own car earlier this year as one lesson a week was not really making me progress.

Thought I had failed at one point when someone in a parked car swung open their door as I was driving past - the examiner gasped so I thought I had been too close.

alroley wrote: »
    Passed first time on Friday in Castlemungret, Limerick. Got 3 grade 2's. So delighted as less than a year ago I thought I would never drive due to nerves. I bought my own car earlier this year as one lesson a week was not really making me progress.

Thought I had failed at one point when someone in a parked car swung open their door as I was driving past - the examiner gasped so I thought I had been too close.

Well done for overcoming your nerves! Congrats

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

alroley wrote: »
    So delighted as less than a year ago I thought I would never drive due to nerves.
    That's me at the moment. You're my inspiration now!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Posy wrote: »
    That's me at the moment. You're my inspiration now!! :pac:

If I could do it, you can!! I was a wreck - the amount of sweating I did during lessons was unbelievable :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Grad2015

bigmc23 wrote: »
    Passed on my second attempt in churchtown today with 2 * grade 2s. Remembering GOSHO for taking off from stationery and MSMM for making turns is key!

Hi Congrats!

What do these standard for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 CoffeeCrap

Gear, observation (mirrors), signal, handbrake, observation (blind spot check) - Process for moving off

Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Manouevre - Process for making turns

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Stevegpz80

Past in ennis today had 3 minors for position on a left turn and other two were for clutch control.

A difference three months makes took my first test and made complete mess of it in June 14 marks against me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

Passed first time in Finglas last week and received my licence today. Surprisingly I actually enjoyed the test and it was satisfying to finally apply all the skills I've been working on in a pressure situation. I watched some of the ISM videos on youtube which I found very helpful as I tend to learn more watching others doing things than by following instructions. There are also good videos on other channels which show you the routes they take in Finglas, which to me were very useful with getting a clear idea on position and progress, as well as getting a vibe of what your driving is expected to look like.

I've actually booked a couple more lessons for next week just to ease into being a fully licenced driver, seems like a good idea to polish up on the skills after you've passed the test to make sure you're at a high enough standard outside a test setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Vlad Kelly wrote: »
    I've actually booked a couple more lessons for next week just to ease into being a fully licenced driver, seems like a good idea to polish up on the skills after you've passed the test to make sure you're at a high enough standard outside a test setting.

I took a couple of motorway lessons after getting mine. What seems like straightforward stuff now, merging, lane switching etc.. Well worth it, though frightening to see how many folk out there are completely clueless re merging.

Well done on passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Passed today first time in Cork. Just about, thought I had gone over the amount of grade 2s but not to be. Delighted about it. Odd route too, not one I've heard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Passed today driving in Finglas, test was at 8:11AM. Roads were surprisingly clear, a few grade two's for late signals and observation but nothing systemic.
    Quick run to Santry to apply for my full, this next week is going to suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

liamog wrote: »
    Passed today driving in Finglas, test was at 8:11AM. Roads were surprisingly clear, a few grade two's for late signals and observation but nothing systemic.
    Quick run to Santry to apply for my full, this next week is going to suck.

why would it suck?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

why would it suck?

It's the week of officially being a learner even though you've passed your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsparkle69

Passed first time in Tallaght. Absolutely delighted as I was nervous about doing it. One grade 1 and 3 grade 2's, silly little mistakes but overall the tester was very happy with how I drove. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Finally able to post in this thread!
    Successful in Wicklow yesterday in the lashings of rain!

I failed first time round there, weather was even worse and I missed a ghost island when turning right, instant grade 3. I had otherwise done very well up until then. The tester gave me a high five after it all and said job well done, I can't tell you the relief! I took the whole thing so seriously and worked the nerves into a terrible state!

Two things though, I had an incredible teacher - John Butler. I started learning a good few years ago but then my need for a car diminished so i parked the whole thing for about 4 years and started up again about a year ago. In that time I practiced literally every moment I could and built my confidence up. So the combination of a great teacher and hard work paid off and it's a nice feeling.

Don't give up guys - if a nervey lass in her mid thirties can do it - you can too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mike Girkin

Hi!

Yesterday I passed my driving test in Tallaght in the first attempt! I have russian license, but had no experience at all (put it on the shelf when I passed some years ago).
    Got 6 "blue" marks and 14 (sic!) "green ones". The grade 2 marks were in 6 different lines - vehicle controls (clutch, gears, steering) and progress (left, right, traffic lights). Almost all the minors were in the same lines as "blue" ones. The examiner told me that I need to polish my skills a bit, since I didn't to any reasonably bad mistakes, but my driving wasn't perfect at all either.
    Surprisingly no marks on observation, positioning and reaction to hazards - those the most frequent ones, as I understood reading this and "failed" threads.

All my thanks go to my teachers - independent instructor Shane (Dublin 8) and Grzegorz Rybicki! Got 35-40 hours of training from them.

Never give up! Practice until you feel confident and relaxed to drive during your learning time.

If anybody interested, here is the route from my memory:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5t0XUR-q4ZKb1RpQVZqVTFoemM/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Delighted I get to finally post here!! Second time lucky, failed miserably in my first attempt in June. The odds were stacked against me, my test was cancelled a few minutes before it was due to start on Tuesday, and my own car broke down yesterday. Had a bit of a panic thinking I'd never get used to a strangers car (my driving instructor sourced another driving instructors car that was similar enough to my own.) It drove like a dream! I had a "feck it" attitude going in, like what else could possibly go wrong other than failing, and it did me the world of good. I'm usually a mad panicker with tests/exams. Picked up a few silly marks but sure look it I passed! Delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Finally passed after 8, count 'em, EIGHT attempts. Difference this time was getting pre-test lessons including one the morning of the test which made a huge huge difference to my driving & my nerves. Having failed 7 times, i passed with just one fault (observation reversing round the corner). So so happy that at long last I can drive anywhere, anytime. Wahoo.

optogirl wrote: »
    Finally passed after 8, count 'em, EIGHT attempts. Difference this time was getting pre-test lessons including one the morning of the test which made a huge huge difference to my driving & my nerves. Having failed 7 times, i passed with just one fault (observation reversing round the corner). So so happy that at long last I can drive anywhere, anytime. Wahoo.

Well done! Genuinely, fair play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thrilled I get to post here, passed in Killarney on my third attempt. Had an awful sourpuss of a man who'd do nothing to put you at ease. Quite daunting waiting for the test, two other people were waiting before me and neither were allowed sit their test. One fella there was something wrong with his car, another girl hadn't responded to an email to confirm her time apparently. So that didn't feel like a great omen!

Was quite nerve-wracking on the test after that, made a few silly mistakes due to nerves that I'd usually never make and headed back to the test centre after barely twenty-five minutes of driving, so I presumed I had failed. Anyways headed into into the room to get my result, no congratulations, no well-done, tapped a couple of things into his iPad and then handed me what I presumed was the feedback form to say I'd failed, only to see it was in fact a certificate of competency. Delighted! He then when through all my seven grade two's in a lot of detail and what I need to do better, it was literally as if I'd failed! Went out the with not even a smile from him... But I didn't care as I was thrilled :pac: So relieved it's over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

I passed yesterday in Navan. It was my 2nd go, I got marked on 2 things, progression on a straight and observation when overtaking. All in all it was 2 grade 2 and 3 grade 1.

Absolutely delighted with myself. I'm still a little shocked, not saying I cant drive but ya know yourself :)

I had stopped driving for about a year after I failed the first time, I was very nervous but I spoke to an amazing instructor and he really went above and beyond to help me and I just couldn't thank him enough yesterday.

I sent off for my license straight away yesterday, went to Trim and got it done and dusted. No point in hanging around now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CNOT

Passed today in Wicklow on the second attempt (first one was years ago, was surprised to see a tablet instead of paper). Never been so glad to see clouds given the amount of low sun at this time of year, and the area was fairly quiet even if wet so I definitely got a lucky break with it. Not even cyclists in the way. Contrast with the same area during the weekdays and there's loads of mammies and children, with a lot more watching to be done. Nerves were at me and I still managed to clock up quite a few grade 2s but the tester was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

CNOT wrote: »
    Passed today in Wicklow on the second attempt (first one was years ago, was surprised to see a tablet instead of paper). Never been so glad to see clouds given the amount of low sun at this time of year, and the area was fairly quiet even if wet so I definitely got a lucky break with it. Not even cyclists in the way. Contrast with the same area during the weekdays and there's loads of mammies and children, with a lot more watching to be done. Nerves were at me and I still managed to clock up quite a few grade 2s but the tester was grand.
    Congratulations! I have my second attempt in Wicklow on Monday, I hope I'll be as lucky!
    Fair play anyway for passing this time round, you must be so relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CNOT

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I have my second attempt in Wicklow on Monday, I hope I'll be as lucky!
    Fair play anyway for passing this time round, you must be so relieved.
    Yeah it's good to have it out of the way, or at least it will be once I physically have the license. Good luck on your test. Weekday Wicklow isn't nice, though I have mostly been there in the afternoons when the schools are out. The route I did didn't spend long in the town proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Passed today on my first attempt. I didn't expect to be posting in this thread, but here I am. Delighted

Advertisement