Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Passed the category A motorcycle test today in Cork at the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CoffeeCrap

Passed today in Dun Laoghaire/Deansgrange centre with 4 Grade 2's (though I thought it should have been 6). Third time is the charm!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Passed today first time! More than a bit of a relief to have that done with...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Amirani wrote: »

Congrats and safe driving ahead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done - it's a great feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Congrats! Where was your centre?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Galbin wrote: »
    Congrats! Where was your centre?

Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Timmybauld

Passed down in Carlow today on what was my 5th attempt. One in Churchtown, in an instructors car in 2015, then 3 in Finglas before that. TBH it was my worst driving in ages. Hit the bloody kerb twice doing turn about. I just gave up half way through and took it I was done. Many people do say that. Yer man didn't put me to much at ease but he was very conversational after and I really wish in other fails they'd be as conversational as it would lead to improvements. But he still passed me with 8, two of them for awful stupid coming off ramps too hard. I don't drive in Carlow regular and the council haven't standardised ramps.

Thank gawd. But sure look its done now and I can get me proper license up the town later.

For what its worth, the first test I did was the closest I ever got to passing before - failed with a grade 3 for not taking a filter light on time and messing up being in the box. Slightly did the same today and he let me off and only remarked on it after.

Had I passed that first time, I honestly would not have been fit for the road - I could Mario Kart me way around one route in Churchtown and that was it, I was a nervous wreck out near Finglas or where I live. My point there being I really do feel the test is a bit of a game so stay with it if its getting you down.

Most of my other tests had accumulated observation marks against me - I made a dramatic change to my seat, I basically put it at a near 90 or more degree forward angle to my back, it nearly hurts but I really do have to turn my head to see the mirrors. That made a MASSIVE difference. Eye glances really are hard to spot. I think that's what got me through.

I'm not a cocky driver, and even the few lessons I got this week helped me improve and make my driving more efficient - so there is always room to learn but I think the RSA really needs to look at itself and how it handles the testing system and learners. State run driving schools would create employment, perhaps with a form of continuous assessment to accurately make decesions on the realities of a drivers attitude and experience on the road.

They'd also provide the space for what could be considered "continued professional development" so ALL drivers regardless of category, get the COMPULSORY chance to go in and have their approach assessed for the good of all on the road - not to disqualify but to keep standards.

With the Clancy Ammendment, I'm so relived I'm out of this costly loop now and can take me dog to the damn beach in peace.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

Woohoo passed today in Tallaght
    8 grade 2's got told it could have been 9 which would have been a fail but he could see it was nerves, also didnt realise that you cant have a dashcam switched on in your test, so when I was asked to pull in and switch it off it threw me a bit

2nd time lucky, and a pass is a pass!
    Thank god its done, didnt have anyone to take me out so its been lessons and cost a small fortune! But its done, now to get queue at the NDLS on Saturday!

8 grade 2's got told it could have been 9 which would have been a fail but he could see it was nerves, also didnt realise that you cant have a dashcam switched on in your test, so when I was asked to pull in and switch it off it threw me a bit

Thank god its done, didnt have anyone to take me out so its been lessons and cost a small fortune! But its done, now to get queue at the NDLS on Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

sanna wrote: »

Congrats, I'd 8 Grade 2s as well. Someone said said to me afterwards, it's the same licence as everybody else!

Tip for NDLS, I went in and got a number, it said 2 hours and 20 minutes wait time so I headed off for something to eat, and dropped back in about 45 mins later to see progress and my number was next up.

Loads of people aren't showing up for pre-booked appointments, so the wait times are not necessarily as long as it might tell you.

That was in Omni Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Congrats, I'd 8 Grade 2s as well. Someone said said to me afterwards, it's the same licence as everybody else!

Tip for NDLS, I went in and got a number, it said 2 hours and 20 minutes wait time so I headed off for something to eat, and dropped back in about 45 mins later to see progress and my number was next up.

Loads of people aren't showing up for pre-booked appointments, so the wait times are not necessarily as long as it might tell you.

That was in Omni Santry.

But if you miss it you're fecked. Come back every 15mins to check. I had to listen to a women giving out for 10 mins because she was called 5 times while getting a coffee (she said she was in the toilet). They wouldn't budge. She got a new ticket and left.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    DublinCJM wrote: »

That was in Omni Santry.

But if you miss it you're fecked. Come back every 15mins to check. I had to listen to a women giving out for 10 mins because she was called 5 times while getting a coffee (she said she was in the toilet). They wouldn't budge. She got a new ticket and left.

Thanks folks, plan is to take my tablet with a film or two and plonk myself down, going to Citywest so heading up so Im there for it opening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Thanks folks, plan is to take my tablet with a film or two and plonk myself down, going to Citywest so heading up so Im there for it opening

I went straight into the local NDLS centre after I passed - didn't even have to get a number there was no-one there - I was called straight up to apply and hadn't even filled the form out :) I was so buzzed after passing I left the result behind - thankfully they email it too :)

Pretzill wrote: »

I went straight into the local NDLS centre after I passed - didn't even have to get a number there was no-one there - I was called straight up to apply and hadn't even filled the form out :) I was so buzzed after passing I left the result behind - thankfully they email it too :)

By pure chance a friend said she had gotten one that must have been a cancellation, thought will give it a bash, now no need to queue all morning! Have one all booked!! Happy days!

I just walked in with no appointment, was in and out in 20 minutes in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yeah good idea, how about making it a sticky along with a failure thread

Not me personally, but my eldest passed her cat B at 3rd attempt last Tuesday. Hallelujah !! It's like a weight has been lifted !!

Seriously though : when exactly can she drive unaccompanied : I'm seeing mixed opinions: I would have thought once you have the Cert on the day, you're now set. The actual licence won't be here for 10 days yet.

Can anyone confirm ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not me personally, but my eldest passed her cat B at 3rd attempt last Tuesday. Hallelujah !! It's like a weight has been lifted !!

Seriously though : when exactly can she drive unaccompanied : I'm seeing mixed opinions: I would have thought once you have the Cert on the day, you're now set. The actual licence won't be here for 10 days yet.

Can anyone confirm ??

She cannot drive without a full license in her hand. They take the cert off you in the NDLS center (AFAIK) but i asked that question last year. You need the license.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    galwaytt wrote: »

Can anyone confirm ??

She cannot drive without a full license in her hand. They take the cert off you in the NDLS center (AFAIK) but i asked that question last year. You need the license.

I was in the center yesterday getting my 1st full license - asked same question, got told need to wait on full license coming in 5-10days

Can’t drive unaccompanied until the driving licence is in your hand.

A certificate of competency is not a substitute for a driving licence, just like after passing my test I was required to wear an L tabard until receiving the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Can’t drive unaccompanied until the driving licence is in your hand.

A certificate of competency is not a substitute for a driving licence, just like after passing my test I was required to wear an L tabard until receiving the licence.

Don't think that is correct, once the pass cert has been handed in at the Ndls Centre you are down in the system as a fully licensed driver.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Don't think that is correct, once the pass cert has been handed in at the Ndls Centre you are down in the system as a fully licensed driver.

No licence in hand though. Even after passing in the cert for my full A recently I had to wear the L tabard until receiving it, hence the NDLS give you back your learner permit until the full licence is received.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

No licence in hand though. Even after passing in the cert for my full A recently I had to wear the L tabard until receiving it, hence the NDLS give you back your learner permit until the full licence is received.

The date you hand in the pass cert is down on the licence as the date it was granted. So having to have the licence "in your hand" is irrelevant. In that case anyone waiting on a replacement for an expired or lost licence would be seen as unlicensed which is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

The date you hand in the pass cert is down on the licence as the date it was granted. So having to have the licence "in your hand" is irrelevant. In that case anyone waiting on a replacement for an expired or lost licence would be seen as unlicensed which is not the case.

I actually really needed to drive unaccompanied in between submitting my application and receiving my licence. So I went to the Garda station and asked them.

I told them I'd the confirmation that my licence application had been processed and had been dispatched but that it hadn't arrived yet. He told me until I had it in hand that I was still considered to be on a learner permit and as such must be accompanied.

The reality if I had been stopped might have been different, in that I suppose you'd have a decent argument, but at all stages (Test centre, NDLS and Garda station) they were consistent in saying that until it was physically in hand that I was still a learner.

Its very relevant. You shouldn't be driving if you lost your license or its expired.
    It is a requirement in Ireland that you carry your driving licence or learner permit with you at all times when driving. Failure to produce your licence or permit when requested to by a member of the Gardai (Irish police force) is an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Passed today and so over the moon. It’s like a weight has been lifted! :D Took the test for the third time today, but at a new test centre and managed it with one grade 2. Big difference to the two other attempts.
    Tester told me just before I left the centre that I am still required to display L plates, have an accompanying driver and not allowed on the motorway until the full licence arrives in the post. Flew straight over to the NDLS centre and heard the same spiel again. Definitely not until the licence arrives in the post.

Westeros wrote: »
    Passed today and so over the moon. It’s like a weight has been lifted! :D Took the test for the third time today, but at a new test centre and managed it with one grade 2. Big difference to the two other attempts.
    Tester told me just before I left the centre that I am still required to display L plates, have an accompanying driver and not allowed on the motorway until the full licence arrives in the post. Flew straight over to the NDLS centre and heard the same spiel again. Definitely not until the licence arrives in the post.

Well done on the test and thanks for the clarification, i was told the same thing myself regarding the bike.

This should finally put the matter to bed.

Passed today and I never thought this day would come, this was my third attempt and I nearly cried with happiness when the instructor asked me to sign the certificate of competence. I left it very late in life to learn to drive, I will be 40 in a few months and I regret not learning when I was younger, but hey I got there in the end, it's never too late.

Passed today and I never thought this day would come, this was my third attempt and I nearly cried with happiness when the instructor asked me to sign the certificate of competence. I left it very late in life to learn to drive, I will be 40 in a few months and I regret not learning when I was younger, but hey I got there in the end, it's never too late.

Congratulations!!
    I was a late comer to driving too, passed 2 wks ago at 45! I did lessons at 26 but wanted that week in ibiza more than being able to drive! Im finding nerves are my stumbling block, 2nd guess everything Im doing espicially lights at big junctions. But getting there!

All the best im the driving!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I left it very late in life to learn to drive, I will be 40 in a few months and I regret not learning when I was younger, but hey I got there in the end, it's never too late.
    I was a late comer to driving too, passed 2 wks ago at 45!
    Well done guys! :)

I'm in the 'wish I'd learned in my twenties' club too, and very very nervous, so this gives me hope!

Advertisement