Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Haha. All the old timers.

I just passed first time round before Christmas, I'll be 49 next month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Haha. All the old timers.

I just passed first time round before Christmas, I'll be 49 next month :D

:) I passed first time in December at 50!! (Do I win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Pretzill wrote: »
    :) I passed first time in December at 50!! (Do I win)

At least you aren’t like the guy in Cork :pac: 17 times and still no cigar.

Well done though.

Who is the youngest here to acquire all licences via the 5 driving tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Timmybauld

At least you aren’t like the guy in Cork :pac: 17 times and still no cigar.

Well done though.

Who is the youngest here to acquire all licences via the 5 driving tests?

Lol, took me five goes between 2015 and 2019 - I'm 35. Thank Christ its over. I keep coming back to this forum with my fingers crossed for folks. In the end of the day, I put it all down to moving my seat way more forward so Im craning me neck to see the mirrors. My pass was one of my worst test performances but the observation was a none issue.

Timmybauld wrote: »
    Lol, took me five goes between 2015 and 2019 - I'm 35. Thank Christ its over. I keep coming back to this forum with my fingers crossed for folks. In the end of the day, I put it all down to moving my seat way more forward so Im craning me neck to see the mirrors. My pass was one of my worst test performances but the observation was a none issue.

You have Category A,B,C,D,E?

I myself look in with my fingers crossed also.

Are you clung up to the steering wheel?

As someone here said, it doesn't matter what the marks were, a pass is a pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Never posted in this subforum as the DT just filled me with rage, I was also a relatively late starter (32) and failed my test more times than I will ever admit publicly. Finally passed yesterday in Tallaght. I couldn't even enjoy it tbh, I was so irritated that I was denied so many times despite being just as good in my successful test as I was in all the other attempts. Went and got the full license applied for straight away.

Glad to see the back of the entire process more than anything, I don't think people who got their license more than a few years ago realise what a pain in the arse it is nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Markitron wrote: »
    Never posted in this subforum as the DT just filled me with rage, I was also a relatively late starter (32) and failed my test more times than I will ever admit publicly. Finally passed yesterday in Tallaght. I couldn't even enjoy it tbh, I was so irritated that I was denied so many times despite being just as good in my successful test as I was in all the other attempts. Went and got the full license applied for straight away.

Glad to see the back of the entire process more than anything, I don't think people who got their license more than a few years ago realise what a pain in the arse it is nowadays.

Shambles of a system, but it's doable. Sadly like most things in this country I don't see any change coming soon.

Shambles of a system, but it's doable. Sadly like most things in this country I don't see any change coming soon.

As a matter of curiosity, what changes to the driving test would you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Well done to you! I feel the same. Before I sat my test, I had never failed a test ever in my life. And the day before my test, my instructor said: "I won't be seeing you ever again," because he was so sure I would pass. Nope.

My best friend also passed on her fourth test and she said that she was completely over it and so annoyed. She even hit the kerb and was basically pretty grumpy and unfriendly. Yet she passed on that one. Whereas she drove much better in her first test and was failed.

And anyone who did their test before 2011 (when it became fully privatised) had a completely different experience. I mainly read rather than post because this board seems to be filled with people who did their test at a time when you could drive alone, insurance was more reasonable, and the test itself was fairer. They really don't get it.

Galbin wrote: »
    Well done to you! I feel the same. Before I sat my test, I had never failed a test ever in my life. And the day before my test, my instructor said: "I won't be seeing you ever again," because he was so sure I would pass. Nope.

My best friend also passed on her fourth test and she said that she was completely over it and so annoyed. She even hit the kerb and was basically pretty grumpy and unfriendly. Yet she passed on that one. Whereas she drove much better in her first test and was failed.

And anyone who did their test before 2011 (when it became fully privatised) had a completely different experience. I mainly read rather than post because this board seems to be filled with people who did their test at a time when you could drive alone, insurance was more reasonable, and the test itself was fairer. They really don't get it.

As far as the bolded, I was the exact same. I was told by 4 different instructors that I had a very strong chance of passing, but failed on something random every time. Just before my last test I did a lesson with another instructor, I had an excel spreadsheet that I made printed out for him which had every fault I ever had. The spread of them was all over the place, it seems to be that there is absolutely no parity about what is a grade 2 offence and what isnt.

Example 1: When I did my first two tests, I left my left mirror pointed down after the reverse. Neither of those two testers mentioned it or marked me down. I accidentally did it again in my 3rd test and the tester gave me a grade 2 for every left turn, which was a lot. Now whilst I do consider this a mistake, my instructor told me leaving it down won't cost me marks.

Example 2: In one of my recent attempts, I received 8 grade 2's for not checking my right mirror. I was pretty angry, I had never gotten a single grade 2 for this in any of my other attempts yet I was 100% failed on it in this test. I only had 4 other grade 2's, I would have passed if it not for this. I later found out that there had been a number of complaints about this tester specifically failing people for this.

These are 2 examples but there are so many more. Decisions like this should not be left to a tester's discretion when this test is so important to people's livelihood's. Don't mean to rant but this poxy test has caused me untold distress over the last few years and could have cost me a lot more on top of it. I know this system better than most and it is NOT fit for purpose, the purpose being legally proclaiming someone as a safe driver.

Getting the testers together to agree what is and isn't a grade two would be a start.

• Advertisement

Getting the testers together to agree what is and isn't a grade two would be a start.

They are all trained by the same people, off the same hymn sheet for want of a better description.

Have you written to Moyagh Murdock about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm more so on about the waiting times which has been widely criticized in the media and such, not the actual test itself. Apologies for the confusion.

I'm more so on about the waiting times which has been widely criticized in the media and such, not the actual test itself. Apologies for the confusion.

Ah you're fine, i may have picked it up wrong. I agree that anything over 12 weeks is unacceptable.

They are all trained by the same people, off the same hymn sheet for want of a better description.

Have you written to Moyagh Murdock about this?

In my unfortunately extensive experience this doesn’t at all appear to be the case. I changed test centres about halfway thru the process and the difference in what they were marking for was immediately noticeable.

Even if they are trained by the same people, they show no consistency in many faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

In my unfortunately extensive experience this doesn’t at all appear to be the case. I changed test centres about halfway thru the process and the difference in what they were marking for was immediately noticeable.

Even if they are trained by the same people, they show no consistency in many faults.

Hi,

Examiners, "are all trained to the same high standard", as RSA Ballina informed me once in reply to a complaint I lodged. But back then I was new to the job, I had had proper training but little hands-on experience.

But later I did find that even though they do receive the same training and in addition regular check-ups via supervised tests, that they may, over the years, develop their own personal wee foibles.

Some may mark a little harder on some aspects, but then may mark softer on others. Therefore a test candidate, who is a border-line case, who does not do anything exactly correct, bit hit and miss in other words, could fail with one examiner but then with a bit of luck pass with a different examiner.

But as there are so many variables in driving conditions that same border-line case could pass with the same examiner who had failed them previously.

But in my experience one thing I am 100% certain, if a test candidate is actually at test standard they will pass with any examiner, of this I absolutely certain. There is nothing wrong with the driving test, provided that is the applicant is properly prepared for it. They will see it for what it is, a simple test to demonstrate that they are a safe competent driver.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lots of people say this or a variation of it. You have to remember to, the majority of people are pretty terrible at self-assessment. Ask all licensed drivers whether they're an "average or better than average" driver, and you'll have 90% of them telling you that they are. This is the case for many things, not just driving, it's a human trait.

The idea that an unlicensed driver, who's by definition quite inexperienced, is able to confidently self-assess their driving performance during a test; a test that's going to involve lots of attention to detail on a number of different things, particularly areas such as observation, lacks credibility. Most people being tested are understandably quite nervous, so I don't subscribe to the idea that they're better at self-assessment under these conditions than an impartial professional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it would be interesting if they did a TV show where they picked random drivers with varying amounts of experience and put them through the test (or a couple of tests). I genuinely think many people would fail.

This does not mean they are bad/dangerous drivers imo, I just think the 'in this particular 40 minutes, with this particular tester in today's weather conditions' nature of the test can fail a person who perhaps an hour later with another tester would pass.

Amirani wrote: »
    Lots of people say this or a variation of it. You have to remember to, the majority of people are pretty terrible at self-assessment.

Well this was pretty clear cut. She never ever hit the kerb on the road into the test centre before, but she did this time and passed.

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Examiners, "are all trained to the same high standard", as RSA Ballina informed me once in reply to a complaint I lodged. But back then I was new to the job, I had had proper training but little hands-on experience.

But later I did find that even though they do receive the same training and in addition regular check-ups via supervised tests, that they may, over the years, develop their own personal wee foibles.

Some may mark a little harder on some aspects, but then may mark softer on others. Therefore a test candidate, who is a border-line case, who does not do anything exactly correct, bit hit and miss in other words, could fail with one examiner but then with a bit of luck pass with a different examiner.

But as there are so many variables in driving conditions that same border-line case could pass with the same examiner who had failed them previously.

But in my experience one thing I am 100% certain, if a test candidate is actually at test standard they will pass with any examiner, of this I absolutely certain. There is nothing wrong with the driving test, provided that is the applicant is properly prepared for it. They will see it for what it is, a simple test to demonstrate that they are a safe competent driver.

I completely understand what you are saying, but if you go back a few posts I cited two examples that were entirely responsible for me failing and were entirely unique to a particular tester. In both cases I had only several other grade 2's. They did not 'even out' so to speak.

In my experience the absolute biggest problem with people that were in my position is that no one believes them. 'If you failed it's because you didn't prepare' (It's like a Dark Souls vet telling another player to 'git gud'). There are obviously many occasions where this is the case but there are also gonna be many where it is not. I consider myself a sensible person, I have previously never failed an exam in my life. This one felt completely skewed and I felt no amount of preparation would significantly improve my chances.

The first thing I said to my friends when I passed was 'never ever bring up the driving test ever again'. I am going to take my own advice and leave it there, even the effort of typing out a post is borderline filling me with rage again and I passed 4 days ago.

Anyway, if there is anyone reading this that has over-prepared and failed again and again, don't blame yourself too much. Just forget the last attempt and go again.
    Well this was pretty clear cut. She never ever hit the kerb on the road into the test centre before, but she did this time and passed.

This is another example of what I was talking about. Hitting the kerb is supposed to be a grade 3 IIRC, your friend should have failed there and then.

In my experience the absolute biggest problem with people that were in my position is that no one believes them.

That is unique to this board. In real life, people who see your driving will generally believe you. I think there must be lots of testers, instructors, and old time drivers on here because it's usually the case of blaming the pupil no matter what odd things happened during the test.
    I have previously never failed an exam in my life. This one felt completely skewed and I felt no amount of preparation would significantly improve my chances.

Yes. I too had never failed a test in my life and my instructor was 100% sure I'd pass.
    The first thing I said to my friends when I passed was 'never ever bring up the driving test ever again'. I am going to take my own advice and leave it there, even the effort of typing out a post is borderline filling me with rage again and I passed 4 days ago.

Anyway, if there is anyone reading this that has over-prepared and failed again and again, don't blame yourself too much. Just forget the last attempt and go again.

Same. I am already scarred for life by the first one. Yet I know that I will likely have to do the standard three/four tests to pass because that is just the way it is around here.
    This is another example of what I was talking about. Hitting the kerb is supposed to be a grade 3 IIRC, your friend should have failed there and then.

Interestingly, she had given up on driving. Her husband pushed her into booking a test. She had one more lesson with a different instructor who said
    he was baffled as to why she was not passing. He then no word of a lie introduced her to the testers at the local centre during their lesson.

And she said that she just no longer gave a toss, so was grumpy and exasperated. When she hit the kerb (it was one of those kerbs that jutt out as you turn into a road), she announced to the tester that she had never hit that in her life, which was true.

She said that her driving actually went like a dream on her first test, but she wasn't passed there. She still feels her lack of care/bordering on rudeness actually played a part in passing. She feels they want you to be almost cocky in driving, and I think she has a point. She is not the first person I know who only passed after being pretty grumpy with the tester.

• Advertisement

That is unique to this board. In real life, people who see your driving will generally believe you. I think there must be lots of testers, instructors, and old time drivers on here because it's usually the case of blaming the pupil no matter what odd things happened during the test.

Yea look I don't mean to pile on, but unless someone has experienced the process recently, they really can't understand what it's like. I have had friends giving me abuse about not passing and it turned into a real sore spot over time. Some of them are awful drivers who have had plenty of penalty points and crashes over the years. They have absolutely no business judging someone for not passing the DT in its current form.

Same. I am already scarred for life by the first one. Yet I know that I will likely have to do the standard three/four tests to pass because that is just the way it is around here.

I'm not going to tell you how many times I failed, but like I said, don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go your way.

Interestingly, she had given up on driving. Her husband pushed her into booking a test. She had one more lesson with a different instructor who said
    he was baffled as to why she was not passing. He then no word of a lie introduced her to the testers at the local centre during their lesson.

And she said that she just no longer gave a toss, so was grumpy and exasperated. When she hit the kerb (it was one of those kerbs that jutt out as you turn into a road), she announced to the tester that she had never hit that in her life, which was true.

She said that her driving actually went like a dream on her first test, but she wasn't passed there. She still feels her lack of care/bordering on rudeness actually played a part in passing. She feels they want you to be almost cocky in driving, and I think she has a point. She is not the first person I know who only passed after being pretty grumpy with the tester.

I personally know people that just gave up. 1 person in particular who is a perfectly fine driver. They just don't believe they can pass anymore. I felt the same but giving up wasn't an option for a number of reasons.

Passed all my driving tests first go, some testers were grumpy some were very polite, it’s like any job I guess.

I was always polite and only ever had to speak to a tester once during a test to clarify an instruction, that aside I always kept it shut.

The only driving related exam I failed was my very first theory test because I was too cocky for want if a better term. I never took driving related exams for granted again and studied to hell every time.

Passed all my driving tests first go, some testers were grumpy some were very polite, it’s like any job I guess.

I was always polite and only ever had to speak to a tester once during a test to clarify an instruction, that aside I always kept it shut.

The only driving related exam I failed was my very first theory test because I was too cocky for want if a better term. I never took driving related exams for granted again and studied to hell every time.

I was always very pleasant to them before and after, even when I was seething with rage with them after they muttered the immortal line 'It's not good news I'm afraid'. I doubt demeanor makes much of a difference tbh.

Do you mind if I ask when you passed your standard DT?

Do you mind if I ask when you passed your standard DT?

Car test is it? 2007, it was conducted by the company who ran the NCT at the time.

Car test is it? 2007, it was conducted by the company who ran the NCT at the time.

I know a few people that passed it around then. Their experiences were a lot different to mine. I had one friend who mounted the kerb during the about turn and the instructor told them to try again.

I know a few people that passed it around then. Their experiences were a lot different to mine. I had one friend who mounted the kerb during the about turn and the instructor told them to try again.

Really? I never once heard of that happening, not saying i doubt you, as i have no doubt it did/still does perhaps.

I did find it a more relaxed environment when i look back on it.

Really? I never once heard of that happening, not saying i doubt you, as i have no doubt it did/still does perhaps.

I did find it a more relaxed environment when i look back on it.

Yea, as you can imagine my predicament has inspired a lot of these conversations with people over the last few years. Usually ends with me telling them they can F*** off and that they don't know what they are talking about.

Hopefully I won't be having any of those conversations any more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Passed today in Finglas. :D
    My second attempt. 7 grade 2's. The test centre was packed this morning with testers and candidates, hopefully that means the waiting list is moving!
    To say I'm beyond thrilled I won't have to do that again is an understatement. I was so terrified, I'm sure the tester must have been able to hear my heart thumping!

I didn't have to do any under the bonnet checks because it was lashing. :pac:

Lovely young tester; very nice and fair. Didn't tell me I'd passed at the end, just passed me the Certificate of Competency and told me to 'sign here'... took a second to click what had just happened! He gave me loads of really good feedback at the end- and wished me a happy International Women's Day!
    It certainly was, I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the morning! :D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

^^ Just to add, I don't have a car, or anyone that could drive with me, so I just passed with lessons alone. It CAN BE DONE!!

I was also very lucky to find an amazing instructor- a combination of reliable/knowledgeable/patient/calm and very reasonably priced (block booking worked out at €25 an hour) and when you're relying on lessons alone, every penny counts!

Will recommend by PM if anybody needs help with Raheny or Finglas. :)

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    ^^ Just to add, I don't have a car, or anyone that could drive with me, so I just passed with lessons alone. It CAN BE DONE!!

I was also very lucky to find an amazing instructor- a combination of reliable/knowledgeable/patient/calm and very reasonably priced (block booking worked out at €25 an hour) and when you're relying on lessons alone, every penny counts!

Will recommend by PM if anybody needs help with Raheny or Finglas. :)

Congrats on the pass, great feeling to have it over with.

The bit in bold is a big point to make, i'm sick of hearing people say 'oh how will i learn/get experience for my test' etc

Advertisement