Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Posy wrote: »
    Passed today in Finglas. :D
    My second attempt. 7 grade 2's. The test centre was packed this morning with testers and candidates, hopefully that means the waiting list is moving!
    To say I'm beyond thrilled I won't have to do that again is an understatement. I was so terrified, I'm sure the tester must have been able to hear my heart thumping!

I didn't have to do any under the bonnet checks because it was lashing. :pac:

Lovely young tester; very nice and fair. Didn't tell me I'd passed at the end, just passed me the Certificate of Competency and told me to 'sign here'... took a second to click what had just happened! He gave me loads of really good feedback at the end- and wished me a happy International Women's Day!
    It certainly was, I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the morning! :D:D

Congratulations!:)

My test is in Finglas too in a couple of weeks. What was the duration of the actual driving in the test?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It was pretty short!! I went out with 7 others and was the first back by a good bit!

The test was scheduled for 10.05.
    I'd say I got called just before 10.05, there was less than 10 mins of admin- asking signs, theory questions, signing a form and checking my licence.
    Then about 5 minutes in the car- 'how do you check your brake lights if you're by yourself/how would you de-mist the back window' etc- no bonnet check due to heavy rain. I was back in the test centre at 10.40.

So I'd say I was driving from 10.15 to 10.40, 25 minutes in total.
    There were others arriving in 10 minutes after me though, so 35 mins for some that day.

Hope this helps! :)

It was pretty short!! I went out with 7 others and was the first back by a good bit!

The test was scheduled for 10.05.
    I'd say I got called just before 10.05, there was less than 10 mins of admin- asking signs, theory questions, signing a form and checking my licence.
    Then about 5 minutes in the car- 'how do you check your brake lights if you're by yourself/how would you de-mist the back window' etc- no bonnet check due to heavy rain. I was back in the test centre at 10.40.

So I'd say I was driving from 10.15 to 10.40, 25 minutes in total.
    There were others arriving in 10 minutes after me though, so 35 mins for some that day.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you! That's helpful indeed. My test is scheduled for 10.05 as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Yesss :D passed today on second attempt with 4 grade 2s. Ever since I’ve joined this forum I’ve dreamed of the day I’d be posting on this thread!
    So happy and so surreal!

Congratulations!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Forgot to post here when I passed.

Passed it on the 4th March, first try. One Grade 1 and one grade 2 so was pretty chuffed with that.

I had originally booked the test back in August. Got given a date in December for 30th January. 30th January rolled around and it was the one day of snow and ice so got pushed back to 4th March. Really glad to pass it this time as I didn't want to be waiting around any longer for the test.

Insurance renewal is up end of this month as well so was happy to have the license before that, makes a big difference to my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Finally. For reasons known only to my guardian angel, I passed early this morning in Tallaght. The tester was fantastic at putting across a calm vibe and seemed to be pretty impressed when talking me through the result. I nearly jumped through the roof with excitement when he gave me the news! I passed with a single Grade 1 and two Grade 2's to my amazement - I'd earlier clipped the kerb corner with my rear wheel when turning left to exit Glenview Park and discovered I wasn't marked for it - he shrugged and said ''It can happen to anyone''. From everything I've heard, clipping a kerb is an automatic Grade 3 offence?

He was impressed enough that he didn't have a whole lot to say when I asked him whether there was anything I could work on improving, bar advising me to make pulling out of a junction or minor road easier on myself by creeping slowly up to the line rather than stopping and waiting.

Exactly as Markitron put it before, I'm just relieved to see the back of the whole thing. It feels like peace at the end of a year-long battle I've been fighting since March last year. It's a fantastic feeling to finally be awarded with the very thing you've fought tooth and nail for! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

What I was told was brushing a kerb is a grade 2, mounting it a grade 3. The tester acknowledged they were aware of it? Very interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

I'd never clipped a kerb before so my heart sank when it happened today. I didn't want to press the issue too much with him; he said it happens regularly enough, even to him. I imagine had it been someone else, it'd have been an instant fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

What I was told was brushing a kerb is s grade 3, mounting it a grade 3. The tester acknowledged they were aware of it? Very interesting!

Brushing would normally be a Grade 2 but it does depend on circumstances.

• Advertisement

Yeah that was what i meant, had to edit my post, wrote it on the damn phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 arcticoptimism

So happy for everyone who has passed! I have my third attempt tomorrow, really hoping I'll pass and get to post it in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

+1

Hi, yes, agree it all depends, the examiner has some leeway and will take into consideration many other factors.

Main thing if it happens in the test, do not give up and because of your nervous state it may not be exactly what you think.

I had a young girl pupil came jumping out of the test centre, absolutely delighted but then told me "but I do not understand, I hit he kerb, there was a big big bang",

But obviously she did not let it throw her off, she still concentrated for the remainder of the test - and passed.

About 0100 that night, was sound asleep and phone rang. Answered it, to hear a very excited voice screaming "It wasn't the kerb, it was a big pothole.

"What, who this ???

She calmed down to tell me she was with her boyfriend at the corner on the test route, looking at the big pothole she had driven into on her test. (They had obviously spent the evening celebrating.)

With the nerves in the test she literally did not know up from down

Never give up, never lose focus. Leave the marking to the examiner, your job is simply to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Finally got it this morning on my fifth try. :)

Early start and quiet roads a big help.

Thought I was a gonner when I delayed too long at the last junction before the test centre and the tester asked: "Are you turning right here or what?" but he must have been in merciful mood.:P

Passed my test this morning in Finglas with no grade 1's, and three grade 2's -

- Observation when moving off. I was told I didn't check the right mirror enough. I think this was when moving off for the hill start. My hill start practice has primarily involved driving up the very steep driveway out of the basement car park of my building. There's a Stop line at the brow where there's a blind junction with the surface driveway. So, while the extreme steepness helped me nail the clutch control, I didn't get to practice the full move-off routine there.
    - Observation when making a right turn.
    - Position when stopping. I was told I need to be closer to the kerb when stopping on a street. I have been aware of this problem (I avoid getting too close fearing I might brush the kerb).

This is my second attempt. My first was about 6 years ago, which wasn't just a FAIL, but a FAIL CURTAILED, the meaning of which I only got to know recently. I'm so thrilled, considering when I took up driving again two months ago, I didn't even feel like being behind the wheel. A year ago, I had thought I would never be able to drive in my life.

My last lesson with my instructor was last Friday during which I failed a mock test only because of lack of progress. He told me that if I just correct that one aspect, I'll sail through the test. What helped me was when he asked me to sit in the passenger seat and watch him drive and commit the progress faults I was committing. This showed me what "slow" really felt like, especially in housing estates where the speed limit is already low at 30 km/h. I was driving at 25 on a clear straight road which didn't feel slow to me from behind the wheel.

The instructor wasn't available today, so had to go with my mate who's been accompanying me every week during my practice sessions. We had a warm-up drive in the estates and a couple of main roads before we headed to the test centre.

That's brilliant, zepman! Well done. :)

That's brilliant, zepman! Well done. :)

Thanks, Posy! The test was pretty much like the way you described yours, except there was no rain so I got the under-the-bonnet checks as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

I failed my first attempt back in February with an awkward manoeuvre to turn right from a housing estate with lots of traffic around, close to traffic lights. Moved into yellow boxed and edged forward to get view but tester gave Grade 3 fault 'caused another driver to slow down'. Otherwise got 5 Grade 2's and 6 Grade 1's.

My time came around again this morning after re-booking immediately and placing myself on the short notice waiting list. Overall I didn't feel the driving was as good - including doing the hill start in neutral :eek: No Grade 1's this time but 6 Grade 2's including 5 for vehicle controls (compared with 2 the last time) - I think he marked a little harder with Grade 2's than first tester. Another Grade 2 for vehicle controls and that was me failed again but luckily it went in my favor. Got back to test centre and shook hand - 'you passed anyway', couldn't have been happier.

Sometimes I think it can be luck of the tester and how they perceive things. But very glad that is over - one of the most nerve wrecking things to ever do!

...Overall I didn't feel the driving was as good - including doing the hill start in neutral :eek: ...

Wow! Nerves obviously. What happened exactly?

Congratulations on passing the test! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

zepman wrote: »
    Wow! Nerves obviously. What happened exactly?

Congratulations on passing the test! :)

It was towards the driving test before going back to the centre! Pulled up, handbrake on and into neutral for instruction. Tester said 'we're going to perform the hill start now, so when ever you are ready'. So at this stage I knew I had picked up a few faults and thinking of so much. Looked at blind spot, checked mirrors, signal on, foot on accelerator and foot coming of clutch and released handbrake while accelerating - then started to roll slightly backwards. Slammed on the brake and pulled handbrake. Tester made comment about the gear or it being in neutral and I gave a really loud sigh!! Took a couple of deep breaths, shook the head and put it into first and started all over again!! Wouldn't mind but did the exact same thing just before the test while going over one of the routes!! First time I had ever done that!! :eek: :confused:

Needless to say I don't think it's something I will ever let happen again! So glad he didn't fail me though!!

• Advertisement

Needless to say I don't think it's something I will ever let happen again! So glad he didn't fail me though!!

I get that. During one of my practice drives with my friend a few weeks before my test, I almost ran a red light. It was a long straight road with no traffic ahead of me, so I was focussing on distant things more than what was immediately ahead. Luckily, my friend shouted out twice that I have a red light, before we got too close. I still had to slam on the brake in order to stop before the white line since I was travelling at 50-60 km/h. There was a truck right behind us, which fortunately was coming to a stop anyway.

Not something that will happen again, and it taught me to be extra alert when there are no vehicles ahead of me to keep me on my toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 places

Hi have test tomorrow with is the speed limit in houseing estate? Is it 30km ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Timmybauld

Sadly, that really depends on where you are. I was crucified in Finglas for going too fast in a housing estate, where the speed limit was 50km an hour but was loaded with kids and parked cars and even though I was below the limit, I should have done a respectful 30km. And then another time, was told by the tester that I should have been at 50km or just below it. I started going on about how the NSA was trying to bring in a 30km urban limit in Dublin and did that apply to Finglas yet? No sure of course it doesnt. You need to be aware of the road signs and just try and be safe.

Timmybauld wrote: »
    Sadly, that really depends on where you are. I was crucified in Finglas for going too fast in a housing estate, where the speed limit was 50km an hour but was loaded with kids and parked cars and even though I was below the limit, I should have done a respectful 30km. And then another time, was told by the tester that I should have been at 50km or just below it. I started going on about how the NSA was trying to bring in a 30km urban limit in Dublin and did that apply to Finglas yet? No sure of course it doesnt. You need to be aware of the road signs and just try and be safe.

I did my test last week in Finglas, and my instructor had told me that the speed limit in the housing estates there is 30 km/h. I wasn't sure because there are no signs on any of the streets in the estates.
    Then I came across this document which confirmed it - https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s17195/Draft%20Dublin%20City%20Council%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf. It lists every street that the special limits (80, 60, and 30) apply to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Timmybauld

I did my test last week in Finglas, and my instructor had told me the speed limit in the housing estates there is 30 km/h. I wasn't sure because there are no signs on any of the streets in the estates.
    Then I came across this document which confirmed it - https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s17195/Draft%20Dublin%20City%20Council%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf. It lists every street that the special limits (80, 60, and 30) apply to.

Yeah, I think you are right, I was dealing with a pedantic tool who in the middle of a NRA campaign about the new urban 30km zones was getting off on pointing out that they didnt apply in Finglas til "XXXX 2018" as that doc you link points out.

Folks who passed their tests and applied for the full licence recently - how many days after applying did you receive it by post?

I applied the same afternoon that I passed the test (April 1st) and was told I will receive the licence in 5-8 working days.

Folks who passed their tests and applied for the full licence recently - how many days after applying did you receive it by post?

I applied the same afternoon that I passed the test (April 1st) and was told I will receive the licence in 5-8 working days.

Received mine after 4 working days in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 places

Can u drive alone while waiting for licence in post?

places wrote: »
    Can u drive alone while waiting for licence in post?

No. You're still considered a learner until you have the full licence in hand. The examiner even told me this in the end. Was told the same thing after I made the application at the NDLS centre.

• Advertisement

Got mine last month.

I applied for it on a Tuesday, got a text the next Monday to say it had been dispatched and received it in the post the following Monday again. So, one day shy of 2 full weeks for me.

They're swamped with UK licence exchanges at the moment, so it's all taking longer than usual.

Advertisement