Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Posy wrote: »
    They're swamped with UK licence exchanges at the moment, so it's all taking longer than usual.

The NDLS are in for a major windfall from that, in the event that the UK eventually ends up staying then these then former UK licence holders will be shafted, as instead of having a driving licence until 70 without having to renew it they will need to do so every 10 years here unless they hold truck &/or bus licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

Got mine last month.

I applied for it on a Tuesday, got a text the next Monday to say it had been dispatched and received it in the post the following Monday again. So, one day shy of 2 full weeks for me.

They're swamped with UK licence exchanges at the moment, so it's all taking longer than usual.

Seems to be rising. I applied on April 1st, and still no text saying it's dispatched.:(
    It sucks. :mad: I want to drive around so I can keep learning and don't lose touch. But don't want to ask my mate (who's my colleague) to accompany me any more. Over the two months before my driving test, he spent a lot of lunch breaks helping me practise, came over on some weekends to get me more practice, and also took some time off work on the day of my test to go with me to the test centre since my instructor couldn't make it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm still taking a few lessons with my instructor until I get my own car, even though I have my pink licence so I don't forget how to drive. :D

I'm still taking a few lessons with my instructor until I get my own car, even though I have my pink licence so I don't forget how to drive. :D

Cool!

I want to take some intermediate/advanced lessons after driving around for some time, but was hoping to get the full licence this week so could get some motorway practice with my mate sitting next to me and giving me tips. Looks like that will have to wait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Got mine last month.

I applied for it on a Tuesday, got a text the next Monday to say it had been dispatched and received it in the post the following Monday again. So, one day shy of 2 full weeks for me.

Two full weeks for me. Applied a fortnight ago, arrived in the post today. But I've taken my first solo drive without causing a multiple vehicle pileup (that I noticed anyway:p) so it's all good...

• Advertisement

At last! Got the text saying the licence is dispatched minutes after I posted my last message!
    Don't know when it will arrive, but at least I know it's processed and is on its way.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

zepman wrote: »
    At last! Got the text saying the licence is dispatched minutes after I posted my last message!
    Don't know when it will arrive, but at least I know it's processed and is on its way.:)

That's great mine took about 7 days. It was quite exhilarating to swap the plates and go off in my own!

Pretzill wrote: »
    That's great mine took about 7 days. It was quite exhilarating to swap the plates and go off in my own!

I can only imagine.;)

Since passing the test, I've ordered and received all travel paraphernalia - a car seat for our baby, a phone mount, and a bluetooth FM transmitter. Only waiting for the licence now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Waiting on my license too. Looking forward to going out on my own. Wish it was not taking so long to arrive I find this rule a bit annoying having to wait for the license to come. Especially if it is backed up. Just want to get out and practice more!

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Waiting on my license too. Looking forward to going out on my own. Wish it was not taking so long to arrive I find this rule a bit annoying having to wait for the license to come. Especially if it is backed up. Just want to get out and practice more!

I agree. It's annoying after having put in so much effort. Don't see any common sense behind the rule.

The weeks before the driving test, if I went a couple of days without practising, the next time I was driving, it used to feel weird. Now, I have had to wait for days just to get the licence in hand, when I could have been spending the time reinforcing the good habits I learnt.

The saving grace is that it was dispatched 2 days ago, so I should have it before the Easter weekend at least.

• Advertisement

Finally received the licence today.

So, yeah, exactly 2 weeks for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

zepman wrote: »
    Finally received the licence today.

So, yeah, exactly 2 weeks for me too.

Wishing you many years of safe driving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Eventually got my full licence in the post today.

Passed test on 2nd April
    Went to NDLS centre 5th April (tried on the 2nd April but there was 3.5 hour wait time and wanted to make the most out of my day off!)
    Text received about dispatch 18th April
    Licence received 23rd April

So in and around 2 weeks for licence. Now to get a car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

is there a way to track the full licence? applied on the 12th in tallaght and received no correspondence since. not in a rush at all, just checking if this is normal.

is there a way to track the full licence? applied on the 12th in tallaght and received no correspondence since. not in a rush at all, just checking if this is normal.

There is no tracking facility. But yes, a wait time of about 2 weeks seems normal these days. You can email NDLS asking them for an update. However, they take a few days to respond. When I emailed them, I got a reply after 6 days, and I had already received my licence by then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 arcticoptimism

Passed today on my fourth attempt! I’m soooo happy. I was a nervous wreck before the test and I was even contemplating not doing the test because I was so stressed about the test but my parents managed to make me do it and luckily I passed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congratulations!! :)

Well done!!! You can relax Now!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Can't quite believe that I'm posting in this thread but I somehow passed this morning on my first attempt! I felt like I had definitely failed when I got back to the test centre and that it was fair enough as nerves got the better of me and it wasn't my best driving. I made a mistake early on that he marked as a grade 2 but personally I think he would have been justified if he marked it as a grade 3 - so I had assumed I failed from that point onwards. I felt like my turnabout (which I'm usually great at) was a complete mess too and he actually told me to calm down while I did it, but it must not have been bad enough to warrant any grades.

Passed with two grade 1s and five grade 2s. Not the best, but not the worst, and enough to pass anyway which is the main thing! Delighted, I ran straight to the NDLS centre and have already applied for the full licence.

Side note: I was waiting in my car outside the test centre for my fully-licenced driver to return after the test so I could drive home. After about five minutes the receptionist ran out and yelled at me to move, that "I know you want to tell the world you passed [I had my phone in my hand so I presume they thought I was just sitting there texting everyone] but go do it somewhere else!" because they had more test candidates coming in. Now, fair enough that they need a place to park, but getting me to drive myself out of the test centre and down the road to a car park without my fully-licenced driver is hardly right?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Halfdane wrote: »
    I was waiting in my car outside the test centre for my fully-licenced driver to return after the test so I could drive home. After about five minutes the receptionist ran out and yelled at me to move, that "I know you want to tell the world you passed [I had my phone in my hand so I presume they thought I was just sitting there texting everyone] but go do it somewhere else!" because they had more test candidates coming in. Now, fair enough that they need a place to park, but getting me to drive myself out of the test centre and down the road to a car park without my fully-licenced driver is hardly right?

Well, the way she sees it is that you have passed. I doubt any Garda would really care about you driving alone if you showed them your certificate of competency. If you had failed it would be a different story though as there would be a safety issue with you driving then. JMO. I know the law says different, but to my mind if you have passed you are clearly okay.

• Advertisement

Galbin wrote: »
    Well, the way she sees it is that you have passed. I doubt any Garda would really care about you driving alone if you showed them your certificate of competency. If you had failed it would be a different story though as there would be a safety issue with you driving then. JMO. I know the law says different, but to my mind if you have passed you are clearly okay.

Don't get me wrong, I understand this and don't think a Garda would have any issue with it (especially when I'm just driving down the road). I just thought it was funny that the examiner had stressed that "you are still a learner until you have your full licence in hand and must still drive accompanied by a full licence holder and with L plates up until then" a few minutes before I was told to drive off on my own from the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Passed in carnmore today with 3 grade 2s and a grade 1. Absolutely delighted as it was my first test and I had convinced myself I was going to fail it!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Halfdane wrote: »
    Can't quite believe that I'm posting in this thread but I somehow passed this morning on my first attempt! I felt like I had definitely failed when I got back to the test centre and that it was fair enough as nerves got the better of me and it wasn't my best driving. I made a mistake early on that he marked as a grade 2 but personally I think he would have been justified if he marked it as a grade 3 - so I had assumed I failed from that point onwards. I felt like my turnabout (which I'm usually great at) was a complete mess too and he actually told me to calm down while I did it, but it must not have been bad enough to warrant any grades.

Passed with two grade 1s and five grade 2s. Not the best, but not the worst, and enough to pass anyway which is the main thing! Delighted, I ran straight to the NDLS centre and have already applied for the full licence.

Side note: I was waiting in my car outside the test centre for my fully-licenced driver to return after the test so I could drive home. After about five minutes the receptionist ran out and yelled at me to move, that "I know you want to tell the world you passed [I had my phone in my hand so I presume they thought I was just sitting there texting everyone] but go do it somewhere else!" because they had more test candidates coming in. Now, fair enough that they need a place to park, but getting me to drive myself out of the test centre and down the road to a car park without my fully-licenced driver is hardly right?

Churchtown?

Churchtown?

No, another test centre in Leinster. I won't say where at risk of revealing the identities of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

Legit cannot believe I am posting in this thread, but I actually passed my test yesterday. I have a few degrees, but they all pale in comparison to the driving test. The toughest test you'll ever take IMO. Plus, I have been very ill with a debilitating illness over the past few months so spent a lot of my lessons in terrible pain desperately trying to concentrate on what the instructor was telling me.

The actual driving was fine (though I got 2 grade 2s for position when turning right, which was never an issue for me before), but I grazed the kerb on my turnabout. I instantly thought that was a Grade 3 and was pretty upset but kept going. Then my reverse was not good either. So when he brought me back to the centre to tell me I had passed I was shocked. In fact, I kept asking him was he sure. Haha! He barely got to give me any feedback as I was so shocked by the pass.

Plus, he was super lovely and even chatted to me about the weather and such while we were at traffic lights. I still can't believe I passed - especially since my centre has a low pass rate. I can see though that the recent training has made a difference there. Apparently that centre got loads of complaints for being very unfriendly. It is clear things have changed as this guy really put me at ease.

I guess my message to everyone is don't think you have failed unless you literally run into someone. What you think of as a big mistake might not be.

Vroom, vroom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Congrats Galbin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I just passed my test at the 4th attempt today at the age of 54 having driven unaccompanied constantly on a provisional/learner permit for 23 years.
    I had developed more or less a phobia about taking the test which was exacerbated by severe peri menopausal anxiety which I’ve been suffering for about a year after a lifetime of never being bothered about anything.
    I wrote to NDLS in May explaining how I felt and they rang me and said they would organize for me to be tested by the supervisor.
    I took 5 lessons with a very good instructor including one this morning.
    She ironed out as best she could the bad habits of a lifetime and attempted to cure my fear of reversing around the corner.
    Very nice experience all in all and am very grateful to have got this monkey off my back at last.
    Don’t give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Paased first time in Naas last week. Strangely enough I didn't find it too bad. Just blocked out the tester apart from her instructions.

She told me to drive the way I normally drive beforehand.

It's the best advice I got .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

ebbsy wrote: »
    Paased first time in Naas last week. Strangely enough I didn't find it too bad. Just blocked out the tester apart from her instructions.

She told me to drive the way I normally drive beforehand.

It's the best advice I got .

I did that on all my tests and it worked great. I found the bike a bit odd of course as they follow in a car but nonetheless worked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrsgiller

My daughter passed last Monday on her first attempt. Only started lessons in January. Applied for her licence same day as test and it arrived in the post yesterday. She's delighted and so am I but now she has taken over my car

Advertisement