Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

mrsgiller wrote: »
    My daughter passed last Monday on her first attempt. Only started lessons in January. Applied for her licence same day as test and it arrived in the post yesterday. She's delighted and so am I but now she has taken over my car

Maybe that's the best way for her, get it over with quickly before nerves and bad habits set in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

My daughter passed last Monday on her first attempt. Only started lessons in January. Applied for her licence same day as test and it arrived in the post yesterday. She's delighted and so am I but now she has taken over my car

Trust me, before long she'll be sick of it and you'll be begging her to take your car for a bit of peace. I was warned myself when i first started driving. I'm dreading it all when my own kids start driving over the next few years. Congratulations to your daughter, passing first time is the best feeling in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

look on the positive side. you can got out for the night, have a few drinks, and then have a free taxi at your beck and call.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JackieOnassis

Has anyone here done the test in Carlow recently and could tell me what route they took? :) test in 2 weeks time and panic is setting in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Passed in Finglas yesterday! Just relieved at this stage. Third time lucky, second in a Finglas after a poor experience in a Raheny.

Couple of grade 2s but otherwise smooth. The instructor was very down to earth and friendly, sat back, barely had the iPad out and looked out the window for a good amount of time. Got a handy route in my opinion - have a new clutch and was very worried about hills but the hill start I got was barely even an incline.

I’d absolutely recommend Finglas over Raheny. I’d a poor experience in Raheny, rude tester, spurious reasons for faults etc. Also the Raheny Route is tougher, more traffic. Finglas is quite comfortable, not many black spots, testers very fair, even the one who failed me first time said he had to. If anyone wants info about Finglas route, DM.

What’s the average wait time on the licence being sent out does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Passed in Finglas yesterday! Just relieved at this stage. Third time lucky, second in a Finglas after a poor experience in a Raheny.

Couple of grade 2s but otherwise smooth. The instructor was very down to earth and friendly, sat back, barely had the iPad out and looked out the window for a good amount of time. Got a handy route in my opinion - have a new clutch and was very worried about hills but the hill start I got was barely even an incline.

I’d absolutely recommend Finglas over Raheny. I’d a poor experience in Raheny, rude tester, spurious reasons for faults etc. Also the Raheny Route is tougher, more traffic. Finglas is quite comfortable, not many black spots, testers very fair, even the one who failed me first time said he had to. If anyone wants info about Finglas route, DM.

What’s the average wait time on the licence being sent out does anyone know?

I applied for my license on 30 July after passing on 24 July got a text on Tuesday this week telling me it had been dispatched and would be with me in 3 to 5 working days. Hoping it comes today as I need it for work. I’ll update here later if it does come.

Nothing today! If it doesn’t come on Monday I’m going to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Got mine on working day 5 of the 3-5 the text said. Friend of mine was 4 days.

Was nearly 2 full weeks from application to receiving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Passed this morning in Mulhuddart, thought I had failed due to some silly mistakes with indicators on a roundabout and messing up the turn in the road. I was very nervous but the tester was very calm and patient. Still can’t believe I won’t have to do any more lessons!

License came today on the 9th working day since I applied for it. Happy days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭KayeQ

I still couldn’t believe it, I passed my driving test today in Carlow! I wasn’t able to sleep properly last night due to excitement and my nerves. I got 6 grade 2’s and 3 grade 1’s.

It’s never too late for anyone who are starting late I’m 41 and got it on my 3rd try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congrats! :)

KayeQ wrote: »
    I still couldn’t believe it, I passed my driving test today in Carlow! I wasn’t able to sleep properly last night due to excitement and my nerves. I got 6 grade 2’s and 3 grade 1’s.

It’s never too late for anyone who are starting late I’m 41 and got it on my 3rd try.

Congrats!

KayeQ wrote: »

I passed third time at 38. I definitely think it's easier when you're younger and braver! Congrars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭KayeQ

I passed third time at 38. I definitely think it's easier when you're younger and braver! Congrars!!

Thanks. I definitely agree with that!

I passed mine in February at 39 (3rd time too)and I'm trying to get my 20 year old driving now while hes young and fearless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'm sure I said this before so I'll embarass myself again.

I past first time last year at 50 :)

You're never too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

I had just turned 39 when I passed. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can. Especially since I didn't have a living parent nor a spouse to practice with.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Passed first time aged just under 49. Never too late.

I went for the automatic transmission.... not too sure I would have passed in a manual....

Don't know myself now flying around the place getting bits and pieces done that would have been a real pain on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

DublinCJM wrote: »

I went for the automatic transmission.... not too sure I would have passed in a manual....

Don't know myself now flying around the place getting bits and pieces done that would have been a real pain on public transport.

Do you find you are limited in your choice of vehicle as a result of the transmission? As for whether you would have passed or not in a manual transmission, do you put that down to confidence? I'm having that issue with my wife at the moment, she keeps telling herself she can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DublinCJM wrote: »

I did automatic too, found it so much easier and quicker to get out on the road and get confidence. I too love the freedom and the car is so smooth.

Another member of the dirty thirties club here when I passed earlier this year!

I was very tempted to go auto, but after a lesson in one, I found that my confidence issues etc were not magically cured, so stuck it out in a manual. Plus, my budget for a car is max 5k so I'd be majorly limited if going for an auto.

Glad to see I'm not the only late bloomer here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Passed today on 4th time at 34. Only got 5 grade 2’s. Still in shock!

Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Do you find you are limited in your choice of vehicle as a result of the transmission? As for whether you would have passed or not in a manual transmission, do you put that down to confidence? I'm having that issue with my wife at the moment, she keeps telling herself she can't.

Defo a confidence thing. Not having to worry about stalling trying to get onto roundabouts, no worries hill starting, not having to go down the gears or change into second when taking off at lights and making a turn at the same time.

Not sure about choice of vehicles though, we bought an almost new but 2nd hand Yaris, and we wanted a Hybrid for the shortish spins driving round Dublin, so they're all automatics anyway (I think).

Will probably stick with a Hybrid when we change it in a couple of years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

passed dismorning with 2 marks, instructor waiting said i got the hardest tester and you got 2 marks that's great.

delighted after failing the first time i felt abit hard done but now i have it in the bag so off to get my full license sorted.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    passed dismorning with 2 marks, instructor waiting said i got the hardest tester and you got 2 marks that's great.

delighted after failing the first time i felt abit hard done but now i have it in the bag so off to get my full license sorted.
    Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dairina1991

Passed on Wednesday on my 2nd attempt in Finglas. Test route wasn't so bad but i was sure i failed, because the tester had her hands holding the seat belt most of the time. :D Once we got to test center for the results i was singing the slip and i thought i failed, but then i understand that the slip is different then last time so i asked if i passed and she said yes. I couldn't stop smiling for half of the day... Now i have the eye test on Monday and then applying for the license :):):)

Passed on Wednesday on my 2nd attempt in Finglas. Test route wasn't so bad but i was sure i failed, because the tester had her hands holding the seat belt most of the time. :D Once we got to test center for the results i was singing the slip and i thought i failed, but then i understand that the slip is different then last time so i asked if i passed and she said yes. I couldn't stop smiling for half of the day... Now i have the eye test on Monday and then applying for the license :):):)

Why do you need an eye test? Congrats on passing btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dairina1991

splinter65 wrote: »

Why do you need an eye test? Congrats on passing btw!

I just presume i need one as im wearing glasses. Can I apply without an eye test?

Advertisement