Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As a 36 year old who also failed twice and passed recently, welcome to a whole new world. Congrats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Whippersnappers :D I was 48!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

:-) a weight is lifted and happy out. ThNks folks
    DublinCJM wrote: »

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congrats, Cloud! I was part of the thirties club too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well after 2 previous failed attempts this morning passed the test with 1 grade 1 fault. Absolutely delighted and I'm coming to the game later than some 37. So never give up. Have to say though some really good advice and tips from a guy in YouTube Dane Tyghe especially the reverse around the corner which was my nemesis. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JXBY62K_gL297TcBvaojQ

Dane is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Well after 2 previous failed attempts this morning passed the test with 1 grade 1 fault. Absolutely delighted and I'm coming to the game later than some 37. So never give up. Have to say though some really good advice and tips from a guy in YouTube Dane Tyghe especially the reverse around the corner which was my nemesis. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JXBY62K_gL297TcBvaojQ

Congrats, it's a great feeling, passed 3 of my tests in my 20's, 2 in my 30's so technically i'd be in the same club as you, go to the NDLS as soon as you can and get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

DublinCJM wrote: »

I was 54! Talking to a man who’s just passed the theory test and applying for his learner permit and booking lessons at 62. It’s never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Galbin

I was 39 and 19 days when I was passed my test. I absolutely love driving and my only regret is that I didn't learn 20 years ago so that I would have had another 20 years of driving fun. I suffer with painful chronic health conditions and anxiety and driving is one thing that really takes my mind off it.

Happy driving everyone!

Galbin wrote: »
    I was 39 and 19 days when I was passed my test. I absolutely love driving and my only regret is that I didn't learn 20 years ago so that I would have had another 20 years of driving fun. I suffer with painful chronic health conditions and anxiety and driving is one thing that really takes my mind off it.

Happy driving everyone!
    This is literally my story too! Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I passed my test today in tallaght after failing a few months ago. Had a nice tester who put me at ease.
    I'm so relieved it feels like a weight has been lifted!

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    It's so disappointing, but you will get there and be a better, safer driver for it. Reapply as soon as possible and we'll be seeing you in the 'successful' thread in no time. :)
    Told ya so. :pac:

Congrats- great news!

Posy wrote: »
    Told ya so. :pac:

Congrats- great news!

Thanks! The test nearly didn't happen. Was booked for 9:15. Pulled into test centre and seen an email saying my tester was sick.
    I went in and they told me to ring the RSA who got me a cancellation slot for 12.
    It was only this morning that I started entertaining the idea that I could pass. I think failing the last time helped in a weird way because I was much more relaxed and less nervous this time :).
    2 weeks shy of my 28th birthday lol. Least I finally have it now

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thanks! The test nearly didn't happen. Was booked for 9:15. Pulled into test centre and seen an email saying my tester was sick.
    I went in and they told me to ring the RSA who got me a cancellation slot for 12.
    It was only this morning that I started entertaining the idea that I could pass. I think failing the last time helped in a weird way because I was much more relaxed and less nervous this time :).
    2 weeks shy of my 28th birthday lol. Least I finally have it now

Huge congratulations! I've followed your journey because we have had similar experiences. Delighted for you.

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Huge congratulations! I've followed your journey because we have had similar experiences. Delighted for you.

Thanks. If I can do it anyone can. All the tears that went into learning 😂. I thought driving wasn't for me for so long. Just the right instructor made the difference I think because he really encouraged me.
    I done my EDT's in 2016 before giving up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Congrats irishgirl19, delighted for you! I remember how disheartened you were in the unsuccessful thread a few months back. Happy driving!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Passed on my first go this morning in Tallaght. Only 1 grade 2 I couldn't believe it (and I still cant). Massive lift off my shoulders after all the delays etc

Congrats, cherryghost! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Passed on my second go in Galway Westside thank chrrryyysssshhhtt
    Found myself much more nervous this time than the first time I did it which surprised me
    So much so my left leg was shaking I was worried I wouldn't be able use to the clutch at the start ha
    I had a lesson before this time which I recommend, made few errors in that I definitely needed to "get out of my system"

I got 5 Grade 2s so happy enough with that, worried I might have picked up a Grade 3 at 1 point as clipped the kerb but was only given as a Grade 2 thankfully.

Got a Roundabout positioning Grade 2 aswell for exiting into the Right Hand Lane but as I was on the inside lane of the roundabout (it was the 4th exit) I thought it was the correct lane to exit into but guess not

I luckily managed to somehow get a appointment with NDLS next week too, someone must have cancelled as was 1 slot available next week and the next weren't till mid December, so hopefully I'll have my full licence within 2 weeks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

wp_rathead wrote: »

I got 5 Grade 2s so happy enough with that, worried I might have picked up a Grade 3 at 1 point as clipped the kerb but was only given as a Grade 2 thankfully.

Well done! I also clipped a kerb doing reverse around the corner and half thought that's me failed now but I got a Grade 2 for it too. The examiner said I was in clear control of the car and was able to safely complete the turn so it wasn't a 3 - the relief!!!

My licence came this week and I drove to work today :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Technope87

Passed today in Finglas on my second attempt, such a relief!! Genuinely thought I done worse than my first failed attempt which I got 7 grade twos on progression alone but somehow only got 4 grade two’s in total this time, funny how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭QJJQJDE

Passed! This morning, by the skin of my teeth. 2nd attempt. Maced both manoeuvres, drove over the curb on the reverse and hit the curb on the turnabout. It started snowing HEAVILY towards the end of my test, and she asked me if I want to end the test early. I decided to keep going, and just about barely scraped by. The nerves were getting to me hardcore.

All done now, freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

Passed my motorcycle test yesterday in Cavan.
    Freedom!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Passed today in Waterford by the skin of my teeth. 8 Grade 2s, 2 Grade 1s. Absolutely delighted. The 3 keys for me after an awful 1st test (3 Grade 3s, 25+total faults) a month ago were:

1. I bought my own car and practiced in it.

2. I made sure that car was automatic transmission.

3. I took a few extra lessons with a different instructor.q

Freedom awaits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I passed yesterday on my fourth attempt. It is such a relief. My nerves went on me completely for the previous tests. The instructor I had couldn’t find time to fit me in for a pre-test before the test. I got 10 grade twos on my failed attempts. Even the tester told me if I could manage the nerves I would of gotten it.

I didn’t properly start driving until my 30’s and I was completely overthinking it.

Once I got my date I persuaded my other half that we should take spin into town every Sat and Sunday in weeks coming up to test. I live in rural area and test was in Limerick so it’s completely different driving.
    I found a new instructor and we did one pretest for two hours a month before where he pointed out my bad habits. Also did lesson the morning immediately before the test. It really helped with the nerves to go straight from drive with instructor to driving test. I had no time to think about my nerves. I managed to stay calm during test then.

So for anyone struggling with nerves during test it’s definitely possible to pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

Passed this morning, first time. Absolutely delighted, got 3 grade 2’s and 4 grade 1’s. Made a silly mistake on the hill start and left the left indicator on while pulling away. Thought I was done for with that. But passed anyway, chuffed.

For anyone sitting it, It’s really not as bad as you would think. I was a bag of nerves beforehand but they quickly settled after ten mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iQuain

Passed Friday gone in Athlone, Westmeath. 6 grade 2s. Delighted is an understatement.

I know everyone says it but what was key for me was buying a car, doing my lessons and my own driving with someone, in that car. Then I used that car for the test and sure at that stage I knew it inside out.

When you’re a learner push your boundaries a bit. It’s scary but confidence is key. As a learner drove the back roads with my licensed driver from Athlone to Galway, around the city on a busy day and back home then. You learn a lot from those days.

Best of luck to everyone taking their test!

Also, not sure if I’ve read this anywhere but if you have a public services card just apply online for the license. Much quicker and you don’t need proof of address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Passed this morning in Deansgrange. First time.
    Was certain I had failed.
    Had my pre test last night and had 11 grade 2s.
    Only got 2 today.
    Tester brought me on route i hadn't covered. Tried not to panic.

So so relieved.

And thanks to advice on here, I have an NDLS appointment for last thing this evening! Pre booked when i got test date! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Passed this morning in Deansgrange. First time.
    Was certain I had failed.
    Had my pre test last night and had 11 grade 2s.
    Only got 2 today.
    Tester brought me on route i hadn't covered. Tried not to panic.

So so relieved.

And thanks to advice on here, I have an NDLS appointment for last thing this evening! Pre booked when i got test date 😊🙌

Don't even attend the appointment. Apply online. Much much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Don't even attend the appointment. Apply online. Much much quicker.

I dont have a psc card dont want one. I live near l.town anyway so its honestly no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭rogber

Passed at first attempt in Raheny today. Was extremely close to a fail - 8 grade two faults -but right now just delighted to have passed. Didn't start learning till my late 30's so more proof that age isn't a decisive factor.

Did very well on areas where I thought I lose a point or two - observation, progressing through gears, the manoeuvres - and got half my grade 2s for fairly simple road positioning stuff, so would have been so disappointed with myself if I failed for that.
    But a good reminder that passing doesn't mean there isn't still room to improve.

And to anyone doing the test, would really recommend knowing your road signs and roadworks signs and rules of the road inside out, as well as hand signals. Was asked quite a few questions on all that before we got in the car, knew all the answers as had been revising a lot the last few days (otherwise would have forgotten some of it since the theory test) and I really think it made a good impression, showed I was serious about wanting to pass. Given that I was borderline with the number of faults, those little things can make the difference between a pass and a fail.

Advertisement