Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

doing my test the 28th of this month second time around hopefully pass it this time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Are they not meant to ask your permission to bring a supervisor too?

No in your letter for your appointmet you are informed that there maybe a supervisor on your test and you have no say really, unless the vehicle is not suitable for rear seated passengers. For eample a van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

Hiya, I've my test tomorrow in Ballymun so would appreciate a response today if anyone can help.

I was giving conflicting advice from instructors and my fella on what way your parked at lights.

1. One told me you should have left foot on clutch, in first gear, and one hand on handbreak and other on wheel. When lights change release handbreak and take off as you would.

2. Another instructor told me if your at lights, handbreak up and go into neutral and have both hands on wheel at all time (Except when removing the handbreak and getting into gear).

3. My boyfriend agreed with the above but said if he were first in a que he would be in gear ready to go and have footbreak on, not handbreak so he'd be ready.

Could all 3 be right depending on where you were in the que?

I am perfectly ok with driving and everything but want to keep to the rulebook ESPECIALLy during a test. Shame there isnt the same regulation on how to be taught to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Hiya, I've my test tomorrow in Ballymun so would appreciate a response today if anyone can help.

I was giving conflicting advice from instructors and my fella on what way your parked at lights.

1. One told me you should have left foot on clutch, in first gear, and one hand on handbreak and other on wheel. When lights change release handbreak and take off as you would.

2. Another instructor told me if your at lights, handbreak up and go into neutral and have both hands on wheel at all time (Except when removing the handbreak and getting into gear).

3. My boyfriend agreed with the above but said if he were first in a que he would be in gear ready to go and have footbreak on, not handbreak so he'd be ready.

I am perfectly ok with driving and everything but want to keep to the rulebook ESPECIALLy during a test. Shame there isnt the same regulation on how to be taught to drive.

When stopped at traffic lights you put the car into neutral and put on the hand brake regardless whether you are at the top of the line of traffic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all depends where you are in the queue. If you are first, then I would put the handbrake on, but leave the car in gear and clutch in. If you're further down the queue, then put the handbrake on and car into neutral. You won't be penalised for following either path.

A lot of the driving test is about making the correct choices for the situation you're in. At the top of a queue at lights, you'll be expected to move off promptly and safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Steve_o wrote: »
    When stopped at traffic lights you put the car into neutral and put on the hand brake regardless whether you are at the top of the line of traffic or not.

If you are the first car in a line of traffic, some like to leave the car in 1st to "be ready", there is nothing wrong with doing this, but personally i would do as Steve said above. I find that i like to give my left foot a rest stopped a lights, and you can watch the other traffic lights at the junction to tell when your lights are about to go green, at which time you can get ready.

A lot of the driving test is about making the correct choices for the situation you're in.

Very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 urban-angel1

Steve_o wrote: »
    dudara wrote: »
    It all depends where you are in the queue. If you are first, then I would put the handbrake on, but leave the car in gear and clutch in. If you're further down the queue, then put the handbrake on and car into neutral. You won't be penalised for following either path.

A lot of the driving test is about making the correct choices for the situation you're in. At the top of a queue at lights, you'll be expected to move off promptly and safely.
    If you are the first car in a line of traffic, some like to leave the car in 1st to "be ready", there is nothing wrong with doing this, but personally i would do as Steve said above. I find that i like to give my left foot a rest stopped a lights, and you can watch the other traffic lights at the junction to tell when your lights are about to go green, at which time you can get ready.

Thanks guys, I'm clearer now about what to do. Either way I will put the handbreak on, but if Im first and know I'll be taking off probably within seconds I'll have it in gear. Otherwise neutral. Thanks!

Thanks guys, I'm clearer now about what to do. Either way I will put the handbreak on, but if Im first and know I'll be taking off probably within seconds I'll have it in gear. Otherwise neutral. Thanks!

That sounds like a logical way of doing things!:).
    Best of Luck.
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 3 littleaoifs

Failed there last week :( i was absolutely GUTTED. Worse than that actually.

Got loads of lessons, my instructer was very confident that i would pass. So was i. The test itself went PERFECT, couldn't have gone better. I was absoluletly sure I'd pass, but no. I got all chocked up and the tears NEARLY started when the tester told my i failed. All this happening while the tester was talking to me. He was so sound though, he said my driving was grand, but observation let me down. OBSERVATION???! I nearly screamed back at him. But he was so nice though all the same.

I need a new test quickly cos of that STUPID new law in. How does one go about applying for a cancellation? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

he said my driving was grand, but observation let me down.

Take that as a positive. You now know what you need to work on. Observation isn't as simple as checking in your mirrors. It's turning your head to check blind spots, notice hazards and a million other things.

Good luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

failed in ballymun today, the shame :(.
    Not too bother only driving a few months, the tester was really nice and made the test a lot less stressful. Got a red mark for making a dangerous right turn and then got 3 grade 2 in a few sections so would have passed only for the right turn. Applied again already as he said i should. Not looking forward to getting abuse tommorrow in work for failing in ballymun though. The thread for sgs ballymun with the map was the exam same route that i took so thanks whoever posted that. Hopefully in few months ill be posting in the other thread.

It's nice to see you have such a positive attitue. There's no shame in failing, you know where you went wrong, all you can do is just go for it again. Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The <snip> cancelled my test in Ballymun today. Oh and they only decided to tell me this after an hour of sitting around. The M50 was closed (what's <snip> new) and all the traffic got dumped up onto the back roads at Ballymun. It was pretty backlogged on my way up. But after I was told it was cancelled and left there was NOTHING on the roads.

However there was 5 <snip> testers sitting on the <snip> doing nothing in the centre. Another test on Monday morning but now I'm in a <snip> mood.

Apologies dudara - I was editing Hanley's quote when I accidently deleted your response (but it's below anyway! :o)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dudara wrote: »
    The M50 is probably closed due to the fact that a bus caught fire and 40 people needed to be evacuated.

That's correct. I hope whoever started it.... No. I won't say it. But everyone knows what I'm thinking.

Hanley, i know you're a bit annoyed over all that messing, but there is strictly no swearing on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Failed in Churchtown about 3 weeks ago. A grade 3 for failing to complete the reverse around (i was about to mount the curb so I stopped just before hand, couldn't straighten up). Normally great at these so was disappointed. Also got 4 grade 2's for obs. turning left (no idea how I got these, driving instructor was shocked to hear this). Also a grade 3 for obs. turning right (again no idea where this came from).

Very disappointed as I was pretty sure I'd pass. I'd had 4 lessons that week, as well as probably another 15 in total before. Driving tester had the cheek to ask me had I had any lessons! I'd think I'm fairly good at driving, but anyway, will get it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Failed today in Finglas. Was at one of those traffic lights with the three colours and the foward arrow and I went and turned left when the green arrow came on, natural reaction to green and nerves made me turn.....stupid mistake!

Even worse knowing you have failed and the having to do hand signals and reverse around the corner after that!

Heres to next time! I'm hoping I get SGS in Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

test on monday anyone got advice..failed before on observation moving off so be looking around like a mad man:P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Celtic07 wrote: »
    test on monday anyone got advice..failed before on observation moving off so be looking around like a mad man:P

I'd be willing to bet that you have learned a few new 'observation' skills in the past few months Celtic ;)

- you could tilt your centre-mirror slightly so as to make it a little obvious that you are looking into it ...
    - keep looking into both side-mirrors and don't neglect your 'blind-spot'
    - also try not to neglect all the other aspects and give the same effort so as this Monday it won't be something else they'll pull you on :pac:

(how long since your first test? is the wait on-par with the average they list on the website? )

best of luck mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

failed my last one for failure to make progress on a straight :rolleyes:

next one is on tuesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    failed my last one for failure to make progress on a straight :rolleyes:

next one is on tuesday :)

I failed mine for progress at a round-about ... can't get enough of them now ... still waiting to hear of a new test date (waiting 6weeks / average 8)

good luck on tuesday Doc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

This soooooo embarrassing, but I got a straight grade 3 fault for speeding. I hadn't much else on the sheet, couple of grade 2's, so would have passed but for that.

Long story short, I was on a straight stretch of road, no traffic, and must have been concentrating too much on everything else, that I didn't notice the speed going up...I was going about max 47 in a 40..truly annoying in light of the new laws. My focus is in the driveway....Ho Hum....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MMD wrote: »
    This soooooo embarrassing, but I got a straight grade 3 fault for speeding.....
    Same thing happened me the the first time I did the Category A test. The last thing my instructor said was "keep a little above the speed limit - the examiners hate slow bikers"! :rolleyes:

(On the second time out, I stayed within the limits and passed ;)).

good to know I'm not alone Wishbone...

Got a nice little surprise today. I got called for Longford on the 26th August with SGS (Applied June 23rd). Couldn't bear waiting the 6 months for Rathgar like I did previously.

Anyway, upshot is, the stats say the pass rate in SGS is 72%, whilst the RSA is 53% in the Longford centres. Some differential eh? Needless to say, I am now well pleased that I have SGS!

Really need my full licence, and fingers crossed, I'll be back on the roads then. (b.t.w my car has been parked up since July 1, except on one occasion in an emergency).

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 meptastic

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I failed mine for progress at a round-about ...

sorry k4s, but really glad to hear they are failing some people for this. I see plenty of people without L-Plates who seem to drive up to them, and then start checking for approaching vehicles, and when the way might be clear for them to go. I'd like to start a "red-carpet roundabout service" for these morons! Glad to hear you have learned the wisdom of early roundabout observation - we have waaay too many of the stoopid things in this country, and people not paying attention coming into them add hugely to traffic backups all over the place. (Edited to add: can you tell I spent a lot of time held up behind people at roundabouts today? That was in Carrick-on-Shannon with my dog and me sweltering in the humidity, with full heat on and all windows open: small, elderly engine gets a bit hot otherwise in those conditions! I'm not usually this grumpy lol)

And MMD, there are major roadworks in Longford just now, so hope they are gone next month, or else that your route takes you elsewhere. I know all that waiting doesn't help with nerves. Also if you know Lonford, great, if you don't, then suss it out yourself: judging by what I see the driving school vehicles doing, I can't see them passing anyone except by utter fluke :p

meptastic wrote: »

And MMD, there are major roadworks in Longford just now, so hope they are gone next month, or else that your route takes you elsewhere. I know all that waiting doesn't help with nerves. Also if you know Lonford, great, if you don't, then suss it out yourself: judging by what I see the driving school vehicles doing, I can't see them passing anyone except by utter fluke :p

thanks for the advice Meptastic, Yeah, I know Longford very well, and it can be utterly manic there at the moment with the much needed upgrade to Richmond street. The town is horrendous on Friday evenings especially. Mine is on a Tuesday at 16.15pm. The schools won't be back at that stage thankfully, so fingers crossed it won't be bumper to bumper.

My guess is that the testers wil be compensating for the current state of the traffic by altering the route slightly, but who knows, either way, I'll be getting a number of pre- tests in the town in the weeks prior to the test, so the instructors should know any amended routes.

as regards flukes,..if 72% pass with SGS, and even 53% with the RSA, i'm guessing a majority of people are doing something right!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Failed in Blackrock in Cork today got a few grade 1 and 2 ticks for observation and coasting the clutch :mad:

Advertisement