Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

why would you post that in this thread? theres a thread for those who passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Assuming your responce is to JP Liz. She has posted in the correct thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I FAILED AND WAS UNSUCCESSFUL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jodyanne

Assuming your responce is to JP Liz. She has posted in the correct thread.

spinandscribble was responding to someone who passed but who posted in the unsuccessful thread. the original post has since been deleted or moved which is why spinandscribble's now looks out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Thanks jody for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Failed :(, was in shock when he told me, gave me Grade 2's for ridiculous things, 2 each for observation when turning left and right...I just done exactly what my instructor had told me to do. Then got one or two Grade 2's for pretty stupid things like going into the yellow box and not having a good line on the road and for changing lanes :(. I was real nervous doing it and the weather this morning didn't help aswell, I'm pretty confident I'll pass the next time, although I don't think I'll do it in Rathgar (RSA), any ideas to where I should do it? Was thinking SGS Tallaght or Fonthill?

Cheers,
    Anto

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Failed, only 3 grade 2's but a grade 3 for observation when reversing around a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sbm

Failed in sgs pottery road back in June, got 4 grade2's for weaving in and out of parked cars. Had 2 lesons though and both told me indicate and move out if safe, then if on a white line or cars coming pull back in to my side of the road....did exactly this and failed!! Have my test coming up soon and really dont know wat to do now!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

did you look over your shoulder before you pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

sbm wrote: »
    Failed in sgs pottery road back in June, got 4 grade2's for weaving in and out of parked cars. Had 2 lesons though and both told me indicate and move out if safe, then if on a white line or cars coming pull back in to my side of the road....did exactly this and failed!! Have my test coming up soon and really dont know wat to do now!?!

Try another instructor

A white line has no bearing on whither you should weave in and out. Simply clear the obstructions by a safe, but not excessive margin. Ignore the white lines.

(But as always, give way to oncoming traffic. And check mirrors, blind spot, indicate before moivng out for 1st obstruction).

From Driving Fault Marking Guidelines - Position
    Where a driver weaves in and out unnecessarily around intermittently parked vehicles, a fault may be recorded for 'Position on the Straight'. (See also ' Reaction to Hazards ').

Better luck next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't think I'll do it in Rathgar (RSA), any ideas to where I should do it? Was thinking SGS Tallaght or Fonthill?
    One cannot chose to be tested by SGS - they are randomly allocated a portion of the RSA applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

One cannot chose to be tested by SGS - they are randomly allocated a portion of the RSA applicants.

So I can't do it in Fonthill unless I get picked for SGS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

I failed mine in Rathgar the other day, the tester seemed to be in a really bad mood, I suppose I would be too if I had that job :P. I pretty much failed on clutch control and steering and a few other ones like turning left( im an ambi-turner), positioning... and I know my clutch control and steering is fine. He also told to do the reverse around the corner where there was a blue truck parked so I could'nt reverse the whole way back. He gave me a grade 2 for that.

The whole thing is a money making scam. Next time If I get the same tester im going to follow him home and molotov his house :D. Im going to give it another lash tho. Hopefully next time ill get it! and hard luck to everyone else.

So I can't do it in Fonthill unless I get picked for SGS?
    Yup.

Alkali wrote: »
    I know my clutch control and steering is fine
    Nearly everyone thinks they are a good driver!

Alkali wrote:
    I could'nt reverse the whole way back. He gave me a grade 2 for that
    How do you know it was for that?
    Alkali wrote:
    The whole thing is a money making scam
    :rolleyes:
    Alkali wrote:
    Im going to give it another lash tho
    That's the spirit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

I know when im not ridding my clutch, coasting, hovering, kicking out clutch, theres only so much you can do wrong with the clutch. Im 100% the reverse around the corner was for that. He could of picked a better spot. Anyway it doesnt matter, im going to try again.. where's my ninja smilie? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sbm

Thanks for that guys! Hopefully it'l go well on the day anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I failed today :(

I thought it had gone quite well but I was told I failed for two reasons.

1. For going over ramps in 3rd gear.
    2. For looking left and right unnecessarily going through a junction.

Both of these things, I was specifically told to do by my instructor :rolleyes:

So I'm thinking about getting another instructor.
    Ah well. Nobody died.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I fail for going over the speeds ramps in third as well :(

and my dad failed for going over them in second gear

its a funny old world

but both me and my dad have passed now, so i am sure you will next time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Zamboni wrote: »
    I failed today :(

I thought it had gone quite well but I was told I failed for two reasons.

1. For going over ramps in 3rd gear.
    2. For looking left and right unnecessarily going through a junction.

Both of these things, I was specifically told to do by my instructor :rolleyes:

So I'm thinking about getting another instructor.
    Ah well. Nobody died.

Bad advice from the instructor - I was always told to check as I approached the junction but never when driving through it. The checks as I approach should suffice.
    Ramps - I guess it depends what sort of ramps they are.
    Some should be taken in 2nd (the types in housing estates), others in higher gears .... e.g. the ones on the Tolka Valley Road

Chin up though. They seem like nit-picking. If those are the reasons then you should be able to iron them out relatively easily and you'll pass the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 justamilk

Just failed in Pottery Road today. Only got four grade ones but a grade3 for hitting the kerb reversing around the corner. I was told by two of my ISM instructors that if i made a mistake on the first attempt i could ask to do it again and the 2nd attempt would be the one counted.

So I asked to do it agian and she said yes, and i did it without fault.
    However when i said this to the tester afterwards she just said "no we have to take the first one".

Im absolutely crushed, first time iv taken the test in 2 years, as iv had 2 previous tests cancelled because of problems with the car.

I think the testers and the driving schools hhave to work together to stop confusion over certain things like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭R__J

<SNIP> failed again!

MOD EDIT: Try keep swearing to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

justamilk wrote: »
    Just failed in Pottery Road today. Only got four grade ones but a grade3 for hitting the kerb reversing around the corner. I was told by two of my ISM instructors that if i made a mistake on the first attempt i could ask to do it again and the 2nd attempt would be the one counted.

How hard did you hit the kerb? Did you mount it?

I bumped off the kerb, drove forward again and straightened up, reversed straight and passed....tester said you will not fail for that...strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Failed today, absolutely gutted.

Done about 10 lessons and 3 pre-tests with an excellent instructor. Parents and Instructor were nearly certain i'd pass as i drive well.

Get to Raheny test centre, a bit nervous, done the questions perfectly, went out and done what i felt was a good test, a bit shaky but thats normal when nervous. Get back to the test centre and he says "well im afraid its not good news", i thought he was joking, no chance.

He gave me 12 grade 2's!, no grade 1's(probably because they dont effect the results) and no grade 3's...

He didnt tell me why i got them just told me to read the report and close the door on the way out....

I thought it was marked extremely unfair. <SNIP>

Anyway, applied again, and i cant bring myself to look out at my poor Astra and see the L-plates....

...a bad day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Failed today, absolutely gutted.

Done about 10 lessons and 3 pre-tests with an excellent instructor. Parents and Instructor were nearly certain i'd pass as i drive well.

Get to Raheny test centre, a bit nervous, done the questions perfectly, went out and done what i felt was a good test, a bit shaky but thats normal when nervous. Get back to the test centre and he says "well im afraid its not good news", i thought he was joking, no chance.

He gave me 12 grade 2's!, no grade 1's(probably because they dont effect the results) and no grade 3's...

He didnt tell me why i got them just told me to read the report and close the door on the way out....

I thought it was marked extremely unfair. <SNIP>

Anyway, applied again, and i cant bring myself to look out at my poor Astra and see the L-plates....

...a bad day :mad:

hard lines .really is though marking. fairplay to you for applying again. you shold try and drive as if you are doing your test everyday..im sure you know all the tips. you will deffo pass the next time. It took me 3 times to pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

stek wrote: »
    hard lines .really is though marking. fairplay to you for applying again. you shold try and drive as if you are doing your test everyday..im sure you know all the tips. you will deffo pass the next time. It took me 3 times to pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IrishJet43

I went for my test this morning in County Louth, I was energetic and confident that i would pass my test,( my last test was 6 years ago) I did two pretests in a different town and the instructor felt confident that I had no bad habbits..

During the test I made about 7 grade two faults that I know I made ( two safe of a fail) but to my dismay the Army sargent style tester had other ideas.

Anyway this is what happened, I arrived at the test centre 15 mins early and with my licenced driver, the instructor called me in on time and I answered the questions that he asked, I got them all right however as I did not use the correct words from the rules of the road book I got two green ticks.( this is irrelivent to the test as you can get as many green ticks as you like.

@y response which was " Why do you have to work 7 days a week?" he then proceeded to mark me for lack of observation. Every time we passed a junction I made sure to check that cars were not comming from my right and each time he failed me for observation, On the round about turn (old 3 point turn) he failed me for the ability to do it correctly even though he alloud me to use as many turns as I needed, I didnt hit the kerb and looked all arounds at all times yet he still marked me down for it. In the reverse around the corner I was very observational yet he marked me down for that too and finally he failed me with a red x for not antisipating a flock of birds flying across the front of my car to which I slowed as quickly as possible. Oh he also marked me dow for doing the test at 50 and 60 kpm and not going up to 80 in areas,,, Does anyone else feel this is wrong, or has anyone else had the same problem with this <SNIP>

I appreciate your views. Oh also just to point out when I was leaving the test centre my friend commented about the tester having the look of someone <SNIP> Why are testers not encouraged to make you feel at ease in a car.

He isnt going to read this so I dont care but I feel that I got a very raw deal from a man who didnt want to get out of bed this morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well first off, hard luck, dont let this deter you, just apply for the test again and go for it.
    IrishJet43 wrote: »
    finally he failed me with a red x for not antisipating a flock of birds flying across the front of my car to which I slowed as quickly as possible.

Your grade 3 fault appears to have been as a result of you breaking hard as a result of the birds flying towards you. Taking evasive action to avoid hitting animals is a serious fault as in doing so you could cause an accident involving other motorists/pedestrians. Should an animal step out infront of you, in a test or otherwise, unless there was eenough distance/time to slow you would be expected to run over the animal. It sounds cruel but swerving or jamming on the breaks could result in injury to yourself or others.
    IrishJet43 wrote: »
    Oh he also marked me dow for doing the test at 50 and 60 kpm and not going up to 80 in areas,,, Does anyone else feel this is wrong, or has anyone else had the same problem with this mustached tester in north County louth???

This is a common misconception, if it is safe to do so, you are expected to keep up to speed. Doing 50km/h in a 60km/h zone only servers to hinder other drivers.

And you say for example "i failed the turnabout", one mark against you does not mean you failed anything, it only shows there was one instance where you missed something or did something wrong.
    Well i hope that helps, best of luck with your driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gica

I failed today at SGS Clonshaugh.. The theory part was perfect, but when I was driving I got so nervous... I mixed up the handsigns and reversed to the kerb.. well I wasnt too good at checking the mirror either.. finally I got 9 points.. :(
    First time for me, and I am going to apply now for the next..

(Ohh, I made 3 pretests, and passed.. but the instructor hasnt even asked me about the hand signs... :( well, at least my car is pretty clean now :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Failed in Deansgrange foxrock because i got two grade 3 :(:(:(:( i couldnt see around to the right turn and had to speed up because a car was coming and also i was turning left off a dual carriageway and same thing pretty much happened, its annoying because i didnt get any other marks at all though tbh getting two grade 3's is pretty bad, i should have been more attentitive. Well trying to get through to rsa atm,its crazy,iv been on hold for 5 minutes already

Advertisement