Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Agh that hard luck man, but the tester was right, apply again asap and hopefully it'll go well!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hard luck!
    Fair play to the tester for going through things witth you at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Yeah was really sound of him - told me he was expecting me to pass until then! Have applied again anyway and will book some more lessons during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ouch

What's the waiting time on a retest these days, and can the retest be taken through an SGS center? Or does it have to be done through one run directly by the RSA?

macroman wrote: »
    Failed today in Baldoyle, .....

Me too. Fairly minor fail, with much the same post test advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Failed in SGS Dun Laoghaire about an hour ago.

One Grade 1
    Three Grade 2 (stalled twice, right turns)
    Two Grade 3 (hit kerb when reversing around corner, rushed into roundabout)

I've re-applied already, the tester said I should get another test in maybe 2-3 weeks. I've asked for the same test centre so hopefully I'll get it again. SGS tester was very pleasant, said nothing and took no notes for the entire time, didn't use the little PDA but gave me the results when I got back.

If anything this has just spurred me on, because apart from the two pinks he said it was an excellent test, and the score sheet looks nice and clean!

Bring it on, again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

qz wrote: »
    Two Grade 3 (hit kerb when reversing around corner, rushed into roundabout)

When you get a grade 3 would they not just say it to you there and then instead of going on with the test knowing that you cant pass?

tdc wrote: »
    When you get a grade 3 would they not just say it to you there and then instead of going on with the test knowing that you cant pass?

Apparently not. I just though it was strange that he took no notes (that I could see anyway) the entire time. I'm glad that he continued on with it, it gave me an idea of other areas I could brush up on - I may not have passed the test but it still acted as a good lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

3 grade two's and one grade 3. :(

I was convinced i was gonna get done for coasting but didnt even get one mark!!

This learner was over the mine but konked so i went out onto a roudnabout. Stupid i know so got my grade 3 for that.

Gonna reapply for ti again..I was fine until i got into the car and then i just totally panicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

tdc wrote: »

Maybe because if you were a few miles from the test centre, you could just tell the tester to get out and walk back. I suppose its a security thing as well. Some people might not take it too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Computerfd

Hi Guys, I know I may have posted a while ago, but I just thought I should post here. I failed for the second time yesterday in a RSA centre (Wilton Cork) this time. I was distraught and starting crying outside the centre. So much money and time I've put into it.
    The tester was horrible. He asked me about what would the information plate on a lorry tell me if I was overtaking it, we did no hand signals, no bonnet check, he asked me about the icons that start up when I turn on the ignition. I thought I was going to get easier questions.
    My turn about, hill start and 3 point turn were perfect. Observations were fine to as was positioning. He said though that there was no need to observe as much when I was in the round about and I was a bit rough with my clutch and gears. I have a pile of grade one faults. I couldn't believe how badly it had gone. Originally I sat it in SGS in Blackrock and only accumulating 10 grade two faults and I aced the theory questions.
    I don't know what to do really. My instructor was again really surprised. I was much more nervous this time then the last time. I am so disheartened by it and feel like giving up. I have been driving for two years and I'm a pretty decent driver-so I'm told.

• Advertisement

Computerfd wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I know I may have posted a while ago, but I just thought I should post here. I failed for the second time yesterday in a RSA centre (Wilton Cork) this time. I was distraught and starting crying outside the centre. So much money and time I've put into it.
    The tester was horrible. He asked me about what would the information plate on a lorry tell me if I was overtaking it, we did no hand signals, no bonnet check, he asked me about the icons that start up when I turn on the ignition. I thought I was going to get easier questions.
    My turn about, hill start and 3 point turn were perfect. Observations were fine to as was positioning. He said though that there was no need to observe as much when I was in the round about and I was a bit rough with my clutch and gears. I have a pile of grade one faults. I couldn't believe how badly it had gone. Originally I sat it in SGS in Blackrock and only accumulating 10 grade two faults and I aced the theory questions.
    I don't know what to do really. My instructor was again really surprised. I was much more nervous this time then the last time. I am so disheartened by it and feel like giving up. I have been driving for two years and I'm a pretty decent driver-so I'm told.

Surely you could appeal it? Under the bonnet checks and hand signals are part of the driving test are they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

qz wrote: »
    Surely you could appeal it? Under the bonnet checks and hand signals are part of the driving test are they not?

I always thought so, then in a test I did he never checked any of it, and only had me driving for 5 min max then failed me, for roundabouts - I didn't even go through one, but I made a complaint and a few weeks later he was let go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

jaysus, i have mine in a week in sgs bray, im actually bricking it... good advice though on the thread, mirrors, blind spot, and parked car road position seem to be the worst for failings, but ive been driving for a year and a bit, and had countless lessons so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Failed mine in Raheny the other day. The biggies where 4 garde 2's under "Reaction to Hazards" and a grade 3 under "Progress - At Traffic Lights"

I did the reverse, turnabout and hillstart perfectly. And I can't figure out what I picked up the grade 2's in Reactions to Hazards in. Haven't a clue how I got the grade 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck!
    OLP wrote: »
    I can't figure out what I picked up the grade 2's in Reactions to Hazards
    Think about it. You probably didn't react to potential hazards as you didn't see them. However the examiner was probably aware of them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Failed mine today.:(. Got a grade 3 for turning right. Was so stupid. About 2/3 through, At a junction turning right. I was in the box and the light was green and the green arrow was not on. So I was waiting and there was no green arrow or break in the traffic then this ****** behind me started beeping his horn. I looked in my mirror, then looked ahead, arrow goes green, I'm not prepared and end up stalling the car:mad: I also got a grade 2 for secondary controls:mad: which was annoying bebcause the car was fogging up so i turned on the demister and then it got 2 warm so i had to turn down the heat. really stupid considering u ajust it to ur own comfort. I had 13 grade 2's. About 6 of them were after the grade 3 so they didnt bother me cus i knew i was making mistakes but i had already failed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trster100

Hard luck!

Think about it. You probably didn't react to potential hazards as you didn't see them. However the examiner was probably aware of them. ;)

Reaction to hazards can cover an absolute multitude. Its there so the tester can award a fault thats not listed on the report sheet .
    Examples could be:
    1) Hitting a ramp too hard
    2) Not handling a situation to the satisfaction of the tester. (again could cover a multitude)
    3) Pulling in behind a parked vehicle thinking its a traffic queue. (it happens)
    4) Braking suddenly at an amber light
    5) Looking in your outside mirrors excessively and not looking at the road ahead.

I could go on and on with this one. If you commit a fault and the tester is unsure where to mark it, it will go into reaction to hazards. So much can happen, I've seen it all!

Tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hard luck Frosty.
    xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    I was in the box and the light was green and the green arrow was not on. So I was waiting and there was no green arrow or break in the traffic then this ****** behind me started beeping his horn. I looked in my mirror, then looked ahead, arrow goes green
    Regardless of the actions of the motorists behind and of stalling, you would have been faulted anyway.

When turning right at a standard green light, there is no need to wait for the right-turn green arrow if the way is clear.

The frustration of the driver behind is understandable as you were impeding his progress and contributing to congestion.

I regularly come across similar situations when driving around Dublin and it's very annoying. (Middle aged females seem to be the worst offenders!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Yep this is quite common, in a lot of people also do the reverse, and assume that a straight ahead green arrow mans they can turn left/right, I have luckily never seen one as a pedestrian/cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Hard luck Frosty.

Regardless of the actions of the motorists behind and of stalling, you would have been faulted anyway.

When turning right at a standard green light, there is no need to wait for the right-turn green arrow if the way is clear.

Oh ya I knew I could go if the way was clear. Just messed up and thats it tbh. Ah well booked my test again last night:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Failed mine today, mainly grade 2's for 'Vehicle Controls' , tester was lovely told me i di great and too apply again straight away, he said to get one lesson, as it was the basics I was being failed on. My reverse, 3 point turn and everything was perfect.
    I basically didn't remove my foot from the clutch for the test, I could have kicked my self, when he said it, i got two grade 1's and four grade 2's for clutch :rolleyes:.

Without the whole coasting thing he said i would have passed it. He was so nice though, totally took the fear out of it for me. Applying again tonight. I can only get better.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

gogo wrote: »
    Failed mine today, mainly grade 2's for 'Vehicle Controls' , tester was lovely told me i di great and too apply again straight away, he said to get one lesson, as it was the basics I was being failed on. My reverse, 3 point turn and everything was perfect.
    I basically didn't remove my foot from the clutch for the test, I could have kicked my self, when he said it, i got two grade 1's and four grade 2's for clutch :rolleyes:.

Without the whole coasting thing he said i would have passed it. He was so nice though, totally took the fear out of it for me. Applying again tonight. I can only get better.:o

Sounds like you have it in the bag next time. GOOD LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

had mine in SGS Ballymun 1 week ago (2nd test - failed first on position on the road) but was cancelled due to icy roads. Got a new time this morning but yet again, cancelled. I asked for an afternoon date but there are none until January. Will i ever get to do my test!!! I just found out whats worse than having to wait around for the driving test - having to wait 3 times!! I didnt think that they would have cancelled today as i didnt think it was icy at all... Oh well, back to the drawing board!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

went for mine yesterday, test at 15.40 in SGS Fonthill. i wanted to be early so i left home just shy of an hour before test time. arrived 5 mins late, it took 55mins to get from walkinstown to fonthill road (bloody Christmas shoppers!) anyway, sat there waiting beside the door marked "do not enter". yer man comes out about 5 mins later and says "anybody for twenty to four test?", i rise. "you wont be going out today, you're very late" he says, i offer "i've been here 5 mins" in my defence, to which a random auld lad waiting for his NCT backed me up (fair play to him). the tester brings me into the office and i notice that he's all packed up getting ready to head home for the day. i apologised and highlighted the traffic, he said the traffic wasn't his fault - very defensive imo, i think he was expecting me to kick up. anyway, he begins filling out some form, i ask him "what's the process now?". he highlights a phone number and directs me to call and get another date and that i'd "be unlikely to get a test before Christmas", i think "fair enough, that's not too bad, i don't have to reapply and wait another 4 months" and without reading (idiot!) i sign the form he offers me.

now, about an hour ago in fact, i have read this form. the aforementioned phone number is just the plain old test application phone number and by the looks of it i do have to go through the whole rigmarole of starting the application process again. impressed, i am not! further info i have since received is that SGS Fonthill is actually in the middle packing up and ceasing operations - the <SNIP> was packing up to head off to a different office and my indiscretion provided him an extra 40+ mins to get it done.

i know it was my fault in arriving late but there's a rage boiling in me that i was royally fobbed off

P.S. it took 90+ mins to get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Failed mine yesterday, very annoyed, only received 6 grade 2 errors, but 4 of them were in progress on straight roads, I went 40K in a 50 zone for most of the test....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

sd123 wrote: »
    Failed mine yesterday, very annoyed, only received 6 grade 2 errors, but 4 of them were in progress on straight roads, I went 40K in a 50 zone for most of the test....

I think some testers want you to go 50k on the straight. You can fail for going too slow. Doesnt matter if you go over the 50k mark as long as dont go over for ages or go too high over.

Good luck next time anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

sd123 wrote: »
    I went 40K in a 50 zone for most of the test....
    They don't like that, apparently. They want to see you pick up speed where it allows, so 40km in a 50km you musta been crawling along :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

More people fail their test for driving too slow rather than too fast. For some reason people seem to think that the tester wants them to be extra cautious. If you're in a 50 zone and it's safe to be doing 50 well that's the speed you should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Indeed progress on the straight can often seem very counterintuitive, especially given all the, speeding kills advertisements.

The old adage "its a limit not a target" is completely wrong, it is the maximum safe speed permitted on a particular road and the expected target that a competent driver should be able to control a vehicle at safely.

If you fail to demonstrate that you can run the car at that speed they can only assume that you are unable to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Failed Yesterday in Wilton

1st attempt - 21 year old male ( which probably didn't help things) - female tester ( definitely didn't help ) - all during the mini blizzard which ended not long after the test

got 9 blue X in 2 mins (11 in total)

My windows fogged up especially the rear - but I didn't put on the rear demister (force of habit - all it does is make lines - it doesn't actually clear it up)

that got me 3 blue X marks (secondary controls)

the other 6 in a row for observation because I couldn't see out the rear ] she was going ape <snip> with the marking as we we got off the link going towards the test centre

To add insult to injury she said there where no faults in my driving - but not keeping my windows clear had failed me

I had 2 blue X before this for not being closer to the centre line when turning right - (I know where she was on about too- there where only three right turns with traffic behind me - but with all the parked cars on the left no one would have got through regardless where I was)

I taught that one was a bit harsh considering I didn't do the usual fail point of going too far forward before the turn

But I reckon I failed before I even signed the document - at that late hour they where more then likely past the quota for the day

Its a shame we live in a country where testers genuinely seem more interested in failing people

I was talking to an American man the day before who said it was easier for him to get a license in South Africa 10 years ago (who have an extremely corrupt licensing system.) then it was for his son to get an Irish license while living here.

Advertisement