Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hardluck, but just to note, there is no "quota" for testers to adhere to. They'd hardly be able to fail a perfect driver (well perfect as fr as the test is concerned) just because the reached a magic quota!
    The Irish driving testing system would be considered one of the easier tests, when compared to most of Europe.
    But how and ever, the important thing is that, you know why you failed and the next time you should be flying. Dont hesitate to re-apply, as it seems you are ready to go.
    It seems like it was a silly mistake to fail on, but it's as simple as, If you can't see out of the car, you can't possibly drive. Lesson Learned.
    Best of Luck with your driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

something similar happened to me when i was doing my test. it was lashing and freezing out and the tester and i got soaked just getting to the car. the little ka i was in couldnt keep up with the condensation and half way into the test the windows were misting up. i told the tester i was pulling in to clear the windows and got out, cleared the back and side with a cloth and got back in.

tester seemed happy and i passed with one x

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I was talking to an American man the day before who said it was easier for him to get a license in South Africa 10 years ago (who have an extremely corrupt licensing system.) then it was for his son to get an Irish license while living here.

Sorry to hear you failed but this bit made me laugh - surely it's always going to be easier to get a licence in a corrupt system! That's the whole point of corrupting someone - I mean, you're hardly going to offer someone a bribe to fail you, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Aww I failed in Raheny today :( Some old dude tester.

Next time I'll be posting in the other thread :)

Failed in Clonmel today... My 4th test! :rolleyes: you wouldn't mind my instructor who is very stringent, some would say more stringent then the testers, didn't even give me 1 mark this morning. he said i was a cert to pass. got 10 grade 2's which was harsh. 2 for reaction, which the instructor reckoned was overchecking the blind spot.

Ive applied already for retest. next time i will be posting in the other thread.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

fail today in churchtown.

got home from work @ 8.30am this morning after going in yesterday at 8.00am...worst part was left turn observation - 3*grade2 + 1*grade3.

d'ya think fatigue and tiredness would contribute to a fail? :P thought I'd done fine until I got into the office!

[edit]
    not bad for 9 lessons + a test in 2 weeks tho I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

failed today in churchtown :( disappointing as it was i knew from the time i started the engine i had failed... it was one of them times when the very worst things u can expect all happen at once!!! :o received 14 grade 2's and 2 grade 3's mainly all for observation (which i actually thought i worked pretty hard on today) and my nerves were completely shot i mean stomach turning which didnt help my situation at all:o am quite upset but ill work off the sheet i was givin to try improve for next time...

failed today in churchtown :( disappointing as it was i knew from the time i started the engine i had failed... it was one of them times when the very worst things u can expect all happen at once!!! :o received 14 grade 2's and 2 grade 3's mainly all for observation (which i actually thought i worked pretty hard on today) and my nerves were completely shot i mean stomach turning which didnt help my situation at all:o am quite upset but ill work off the sheet i was givin to try improve for next time...

hard luck mate! better luck next time. chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sorry to hear it mate, re-apply as soon as you can if you haven't already. I don't know if this was your first but I failed my first, and got it today on round 2. Chin up because there's always next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Just a quick questions as I am doing my test next Monday...do they make you open the bonnet at the start of the test and point out where the oil/water is etc etc? Some people have told me they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

usually they ask you to point out things under the bonnet, could be brake fluid, oil, water, windscreen wiper fluid etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

niallo24 wrote: »
    Just a quick questions as I am doing my test next Monday...do they make you open the bonnet at the start of the test and point out where the oil/water is etc etc? Some people have told me they do...

Do yourself a massive favour and spend as much time on www.drivingtesttips.ie as possible until next Monday. Also, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

niallo24 wrote: »

Yes, they will. You strike me as a little unprepared. Get a pre-test with a local driving school and they will cover all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

bring id to your driver theory test obviously. im a dope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Failed today 1st time in Churchtown... got a really nice tester and all, just had an outer body experience, 11 grade 2's, four for reaction.. (wondering does this mean stopping at a yield sign even though I didn't need to?) I was so upset when he told me I didn't really hear the explanations (Stupid of me!). Also when reversing around the corner, he told me to park behind a car, so i was literally on the corner, this put me of, as I had never started quite so close to the corner! I got a grade 3 for competency, because I knew I was about to hit the kerb and instead I went into first and tried to straighten out! all in all had an easy enough maneuvers and route, I had expected it to be so much harder that I psyched myself out and was a bundle of nerves. I'm really worried the same thing will happen again! My pre-tests had all gone well... it's very disheartening! How soon would I get a cancellation? Sorry for long rant...its been a long horrible day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

d4gurl wrote: »
    Failed today 1st time in Churchtown... got a really nice tester and all, just had an outer body experience, 11 grade 2's, four for reaction.. (wondering does this mean stopping at a yield sign even though I didn't need to?) I was so upset when he told me I didn't really hear the explanations (Stupid of me!). Also when reversing around the corner, he told me to park behind a car, so i was literally on the corner, this put me of, as I had never started quite so close to the corner! I got a grade 3 for competency, because I knew I was about to hit the kerb and instead I went into first and tried to straighten out! all in all had an easy enough maneuvers and route, I had expected it to be so much harder that I psyched myself out and was a bundle of nerves. I'm really worried the same thing will happen again! My pre-tests had all gone well... it's very disheartening! How soon would I get a cancellation? Sorry for long rant...its been a long horrible day :(

I messed up my first test too. I was about to hit the curb on the reverse so I stopped like you did so got the mark for competancy. Again, was a big bundle of nerves so got a load of marks for things.

Just keep it at, I applied straight away and got another two months later which I failed. Got another as a cancellation a few weeks later and passed with only 2 marks, so stay confident, you'll have it soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Protype

Hard luck man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Just a little advice here.

In the previous posts, "stopping on the reverse is mentioned".
    What I would like to advise on this matter, If you need to stop when reversing you should. DO NOT HIT the kerb as this is a FAIL POINT (Depending on how you hit the kerb, e.g. “Hard”) and if you need to move forward to fix a mistake you can, you may be marked for doing so, but may not fail for doing so remember it always depends on the situation.
    The tester can only grade YOUR fault on how YOU react to a situation when things are not perfect.
    Always tyre to react in a safe and considerate manner, a good Driving Instructor will give advice on this.

Regards
    www.DrivingTestTips.ie
    P.S Best of luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Got loads of lessons, my instructer was very confident that i would pass. So was i.

Try changing your instructor(s). Crap instructors will always tell failed drivers the tester is wrong, and it's usually what the driver wants to hear. To increase your chances of passing next time, the best mindset is that the tester's right and that you need to improve further. Sorry.

And as for the the fairness or otherwise of failing on observation, I've had enough close shaves (on foot / on bike / in car) to be grateful that people get failed for the lack of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Failed in Churchtown this week, my fourth test...
    9 grade 2 faults. So close, my first test I was miles away, but the next 2 I had 10 grade 2 faults and this one 9.

The faults have been completely different in each test. I have spent about €3,000 in lessons and tests in the last year, its so disheartening, the 3rd tester told me I was a safe driver and would get it the next time as I was upset, but alas he was wrong.

I was kept driving for 50 minutes this time, there was a guy I was chatting to in the test centre back after 30 minutes, he failed as well. Makes me think the testers know who they are failing in advance and keep you out driving long enough to make the required number of errors.
    Oh well, I suppose I will just have to reapply...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

rio1 wrote: »
    Failed in Churchtown this week, my fourth test...
    9 grade 2 faults. So close, my first test I was miles away, but the next 2 I had 10 grade 2 faults and this one 9.

The faults have been completely different in each test. I have spent about €3,000 in lessons and tests in the last year, its so disheartening, the 3rd tester told me I was a safe driver and would get it the next time as I was upset, but alas he was wrong.

I was kept driving for 50 minutes this time, there was a guy I was chatting to in the test centre back after 30 minutes, he failed as well. Makes me think the testers know who they are failing in advance and keep you out driving long enough to make the required number of errors.
    Oh well, I suppose I will just have to reapply...

Been there mate,falied 5 or 6 times before passing with just own fault a week ago...i lost my first test fair and square in churchtown, second test was quite confident of passing even with extra instructor on board..test lasted a good bit longer than usual...failed by one point...felt i would have passed it under normal circumstances(this really affected my confidence and i was a bit "whatever, i'll just give it a go for it next time").

My next two tests i falied by two or three points for totally different faults(basically observation-either not observing enough/or observing too much and neglecting other area's...confidence becomes a big factor the more tests you do.If you let it get to you(which it did to me alot,you will more than likely fail again!

My advice is to go to a differnt centre! My first 3-4 attempts were in churchtown,then failed once in dun laoighre then passed on 2nd attempt!:).I was much more comfortable doing the test there.

The main reason i failed on my second last attempt was(confidence) and not looking in my side mirrors enough when turning left/right(4-5 faults i think), so i made bloody ****ing sure i nailed that area on my last ever test and the rest took care of its self!

Confidence is everything,don't let pass results dictate your next result.I only got one fault on my last test cos i was so up for it lol.bon courage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Expect me to post here on March 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beau x1 wrote: »

Dont go into your test with the notion that you're going to fail! The only thing you should be thinking is you are going to pass. You are going to put all you've learned into practice, and you are going to do your very best, no matter what happens! Forget every mistake you make straight after you make it during your test, as they are certainly not worth thinking about. Never ever give up. There is a significant psychological element to it, you need to be in the zone!
    Best of Luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

just failed in rathgar, literally seething with rage at the moment. it was my first time so i knew the odds were against me but i really feel comfortable driving and i have had lots of lessons. the thing that really annoys me is how HORRIBLE the tester was. im too piss*d off to go into details right now.. anyway, 15 grade 2's in total, no grade 3's which is one positive. sorry, not a very coherent post but i just need to vent.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

just failed in finglas.... :(
    car got swamped by school kids in finglas they sat on bonnet opened the back car doors and stood in front of the car and the tester kept markin me on not moving off and turning left the whole time what else was i supposed to do run them over / get out to close doors and get egged....
    so not fair!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Beau x1 wrote: »

Alanstrainor is 100% correct! Its vital you go in to that test with a positive attitude and believing that you're going to nail it!!

jenny4385 wrote: »
    just failed in finglas.... :(
    car got swamped by school kids in finglas they sat on bonnet opened the back car doors and stood in front of the car and the tester kept markin me on not moving off and turning left the whole time what else was i supposed to do run them over / get out to close doors and get egged....
    so not fair!!!

What a bizarre way to fail a test:(. I hope it goes better next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Failed today in Naas sadly. I was told that I am too observant at junctions, particularly turning left, and I'm moving up the gears to quickly, though the car isn't struggling.

I didn't get any marks in the progress area, which is were my instructor told me I would get all my marks. Oh well.

The tester told me I'm a 'grand little driver', just haven't been driving long enough. Managed to end up driving behind my dad for quite a while, which was a little disconcerting.

However, I am going to re-apply over Easter, and hopefully get a test date for sometime over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Failed today in Naas sadly. I was told that I am too observant at junctions, particularly turning left, and I'm moving up the gears to quickly, though the car isn't struggling.

Too observant?? They are XXX, driving testers, what sort of job is that anyway.....

XXXX who failed me had long hair, and was surely one of those kids in class where he is told "If you dont get your hair cut your not gettin a proper job" - hench, testing me on driving...

Not bitter one bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Wikey

Failed today in Raheny. Please don't feel any less confident if you're doing your test here just hope it might be helpful if I post my faults. Take them with a pinch of salt though. I'm pretty disappointed I failed as everything was in my favour- weather was beautiful and the route he took me on was quite decent I really felt I had done enough to pass.

Got a total of ten Grade 2's (and a few Grade 1's) so I must have been a long way off passing! Got two Grade 2's for each of the following, positioning on straight, clearance of stationary vehicles and reaction to hazards so they're obviously my main issues. I'm aware of where I may have gone wrong once in each of these areas but pretty stumped by getting two for all of them.

Examiner was courteous at all times and while didn't do anything to put me at ease he didn't make me feel unduly nervous. Only issue I have is when he repeated for me to take a left turn although I'm confident I was lined up properly and had enough time to indicate but obviously he didn't feel the same way, I found it very off putting. I'm not sure if he felt he wasn't clear enough. I got a Grade 2 for turning left so I reckon it was then.

Got Grade 2 for competency on the reverse turn. I'm totally stumped by this. I stopped once as two women decided to walk across the front of the car before I had fully turned into the corner. I made the turn ok and lined up fairly well with the kerb. Stopping is the only thing I did wrong and I'm not sure if this is a Grade 2 fault.

Got another Grade 2 for turning right, have a rough idea where this happened but feel a bit hard done by it, thought it was a Grade 1 fault.

For progress at traffic lights I also got a Grade 1 and a Grade 2, totally mystified by this one. I was a tad slow at pulling off at lights that were on a slight gradient but really don't know if I held up traffic anywhere.

He also asked me to do a turnabout directly after turning right. There were two parked cars less than 10 yards from the junction so had to pull in immediately behind the one on my side and do turnabout between each of them. Pretty tricky but did it ok. Didn't get any faults for it even though I initially engaged reverse gear by accident instead of first. I think he felt sorry for me as it was a totally inappropriate place to do a turnabout.

When the examiner told me I failed I let him talk for a bit and then politely asked if he could tell me where I went wrong. He said he couldn't and proceeded to tell me to just look at the headings where faults were marked. I told him I understood the areas but would like to be able to remember what I was doing on the route when I committed the fault. He wouldn't budge and just pointed to stationary vehicles so I reckon this is my main concern.

Nevertheless best of luck to anyone doing their test, hope this is of use to ye.

Advertisement