Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

john47832 wrote: »
    And how exactly does it do that?

Uh, they take you out for a 30/45 minute drive and mark you accordingly... Its called a driving test... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ok so lets say 100 people start driving today,
    50 of those pass a test in 6 months time.
    20% of those 50 are involved in a colision in their first year, thats 10 people....

roughly 10 people in 100 will always be involved in some sort of collision on the road, even if the pass rate in a driving test was set to "maximum skill required"

That % applies to their whole lifetime driving - not to their first year after they receive their full licence so your comparison is invalid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Heroditas wrote: »
    That % applies to their whole lifetime driving - not to their first year after they receive their full licence so your comparison is invalid.

I was quoting somebodys earlier percentage. For future reference, its usually best to read through the thread before commenting, it then gives your post some validity

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Heroditas wrote: »
    I was quoting somebodys earlier percentage. For future reference, its usually best to read through the thread before commenting, it then gives your post some validity

Heroditas' post was still valid. No need for the attitude in the response.
    And just to clarify, the statistic is 20% of those who pass will be involved in an accident in the first year of driving. Not of those who start driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fmagosso

I sat the test this morning (11:30) on Dun Laoghaire.

Didn't pass.

11 grade 2 faults (4 turning left)
    1 grade 3 fault (1 turning right)

probably because I learnt driving on the other hand-side, as I'm not from here.

anyway, I want to re-apply for the test but I can't find the Dun Laoghaire Test Centre on the website. Other thing, I applied for this test last november, I don't want to wait MONTHS again until I re-do the test again.

Any tips?

Thanks fellas.

• Advertisement

Heroditas' post was still valid. No need for the attitude in the response.
    And just to clarify, the statistic is 20% of those who pass will be involved in an accident in the first year of driving. Not of those who start driving.

How is his post still valid if you have just contradicted his percentages?

fmagosso wrote: »
    Any tips?

Yep - do the test in another country, it seems a bit of a sham here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fmagosso

hey here
    I didn't say I'll do a driving test in any other country to get my licence. I live here in Ireland so I want to get my irish licence.

I also didn't say anything about the standards of the test. I did a driving test in Brazil 10 years ago and I passed. I got loads of bad habits and then came here to Ireland, driving on the opposite hand-side and, to be honest, I was very very nervous on the test.

So, I don't blame the country, the testers, nobody. I'm the one to be blamed because I didn't pass.

I just wish I'd have passed, that's all. I already booked my next test and it's a pity to know that this is going to take AGES again to sit on the next test. What can I do?! Just wait. :((

Cheers,

Hey - All i am saying is that the test could be changed, the format is draconian - maybe awarding points instead of taking them away would be a better format

and yes fmagosso driving on the right hand side of the road here would be considered a bad habit

• Advertisement

Now we are hardly all going to go to Institute for Advanced Motoring (IAM) for preparation of a driving test - this is a driving competency test, not an advanced test....

Since when was I talking about an advanced test?

My point there was you mentioned and advanced motoring school, and passed a competency test!!

And watch the feelins :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

why is the irish test a sham?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ah well... Failed today in Churchtown. And I have to say, my tester was the meaniest, nasiest person I have every met. No emotion and no consideration for the nerves I was feeling, like any normal human being.

I hope SGS put these guys out of business and on the dole queue, like the rest of us.

Oh, and hands up, the grade 3 I got was my fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ironclaw wrote: »
    I hope SGS put these guys out of business and on the dole queue, like the rest of us.

Oh, and hands up, the grade 3 I got was my fault.

Fraid SGS will be on the dole queue by the end of this month.

also did you create the petition in your sig? Who ever did should know Bumping the curb is not considered a grade 3 fault, it's a grade 2 - mounting the curb is a grade 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ztoical wrote: »
    also did you create the petition in your sig? Who ever did should know Bumping the curb is not be considered a grade 3 fault, it's a grade 2 - mounting the curb is a grade 3.

And just to add to that, it's not even a straight grade 2, depending on the circumstances it could be a grade 1 or nothing at all.
    And also, RE the petition, a grade three fault is anything that is considered dangerous, potentially dangerous or a total disregard of traffic controls, there can be no leeway with such faults, saying there should be a "two strikes and you're out" system for such faults is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

0 Total Signatures speaks for itself really

Nope, wasn't me. Just found it and agreed with some of it.

The whole Audio/Visual Bit I'd definitely agree with. Its stupid, no come back or anything. Its hear say as to how good you are. I work in customer relations and if I was that rude to someone, I'd be out of the job in no time.

As regards the two strikes,hmm, maybe more grade 2's before you fail. Perhaps not more than one grade 3.

My grade 3, so no one else misses it:

Pine Corpse Road

Its a small island in a quiet residential area. Cars were parked on both sides of the approach. As I came up I was told "Follow the road" to which I replied "To the right or left" as from my position I couldn't see that the island went all the way round. He replied "Follow the road".

Long story short I missed this sign:

KeepLeft.jpg

Which was obscured by a car and some shrubbery. Now, hands up I should have seen it. But given the circumstances and the fact I asked for clarification I think it could have been handled differently. I did ask for clarification like any normal person would if they had someone beside them from the area and wasn't sure of the road layout.

Just noticed that even Google Maps got it wrong.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day. Whats done is done. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Its a small island in a quiet residential area. Cars were parked on both sides of the approach. As I came up I was told "Follow the road" to which I replied "To the right or left" as from my position I couldn't see that the island went all the way round. He replied "Follow the road".

Yeah, afaik that's techinically a roundabout so you have to go round it like you would any other. Tricky the first time you see it though.

Pythia wrote: »
    Yeah, afaik that's techinically a roundabout so you have to go round it like you would any other. Tricky the first time you see it though.

I know. And sadly it was the first time. There is one like it in Monkstown, but its a dead end on one side. So you have to go right. Anyway, lesson learned.

But is it grade 3 material is the real question? I took it slowly and even acknoledged my mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 springo

Failed today marginally. A bit annoyed as I'd already passed two tests (restricted and full) first time each in my home country and I don't believe my driving has gone downhill at all.

The problems were the left and right turns (grade 2s). Got one mark on the reverse (grade 2) and I think one observation on the reverse (incidentally I followed what was advised in the ISM dvd in the reverse).

Not exactly sure how as I checked the appropriate mirrors for each turn etc and looked forward and into the street if possible. Took 5 lessons too and nothing was ever pointed out with respect to this so to be quite honest I'm rather annoyed AND the instructors believed I'd fly through. Think it will be another 4 months or so before I have the opportunity to sit again or so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

But is it grade 3 material is the real question? I took it slowly and even acknoledged my mistake.

I'm afraid it is definitely a Grade 3. You (unintentionally) disregarded a regulatory sign and ended up driving on the wrong side of the traffic island - this has you in a position of a potential head-on collision with the oncoming traffic. From the test point of view it doesnt matter if you take it slowly or not. Also, once you've done it I'm afraid it will be marked so acknowledging it or apologising afterwards unfortunately cant undo it.

As for the tester giving you advice, they wont during the test. He would argue that there was only one way you could legally go and if you cant recognise that, and you do something else, then its a fault. Remember the point of the test is to determine if you are safe to drive in all areas, all conditions on your own. Therefore, you need to be able the assess the road yourself and make your own safe judgements.

At least you wont make the same mistake again, better luck next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I'm doing it in Spain ....

It's "fun" ... it has it's disadvantages and advantages ... advantages being that
    you can take a test as often as you like ... no waiting list .. disadvantage is you HAVE to join a school ... no matter what and do some lessons ...

I know an American guy here , he'd been driving 20 years .. he still had to join a school ... and do some classes before the test ...

anyway ... My test is coming up soon .... and im ok driving but when i m nervous ... BAM .. that's it ... i f*ck up even with the clutch ...

any recommendations on how to keep calm ?

Camolmile tea ??

a wee drop of the whiskey ( ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Failed today in Churchtown on observation turning left. 3 grade 2's and a grade 3 all for that. Everything else went ok. Will have to concentrate more on that next time

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Failed today in Churchtown on observation turning left. 3 grade 2's and a grade 3 all for that. Everything else went ok. Will have to concentrate more on that next time

Hard luck mate. Same result as me.

GStormcrow wrote: »

what was the grade 3?

you dont have to answer if you dont want but I think 3 grade 2's and if a moderate grade 3, then is a disgrace to fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

failed today in navan.no lessons,no pre-tests so i wasn't shocked.he said my main mistake was putting the car in neutral when aproaching an intersection :confused: which gave me 4 grade 2's in a row,everything else was grand.the tester was <SNIP>,started nodding at my car when he saw it,gave a few confusing directions and kept nodding all the way through the test :mad:.will be apllying again today and ill have to get a couple of lessons sorted out...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Ahoy! wrote: »
    he said my main mistake was putting the car in neutral when aproaching an intersection :confused: which gave me 4 grade 2's in a row,everything else was grand.

Issue probably is that you aren't meant to put the car in neutral when it is still moving, I think that counts as coasting. You are meant to leave the car in gear until you come to a complete stop.

Advertisement