Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Wooo, I got something right! My instructor does like to tell me I know what I should be doing, I'm just not getting enough practice doing it, thus my recent fail.

Ahoy! I would say that with a few lesson's under your belt you will fly your next test! :D Don't worry about it, it's all an experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Failed

SGS Wicklow Town.

Too Close to the cars on my left while going through the town, my "Observation" on the left was non existant but my use of the mirrors was fine... I didnt physically turn my body around before starting off on the hillstart.

All in all for the 2nd attempt its a compeltely seperate set of faults, in total 1 Grade 1, and 11 Grade 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Failed pretty badly today in Wilton, Cork :(

Got a grade 3 on reversing around a corner because I didnt stop when a car was coming from behind, stupid I know.

Got 11 Grade 2's, 4 for observation mistakes, 2 for hesitancy at traffic lights.

The last 3 weeks out of 4 I was basically working 24 hours a day 5 and a half days a week so I had no chance to get professional lessons at all, so I'm not overly peeved. Going to book the next test now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Failed today in Kilkenny. No other faults apart from one grade 3 which I got for position on the straight. I know exactly where it happened too. Involved a residential area, speedbump, van on speedbump, and a woman in a car driving like she stole the bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Test was cancelled at last minute for last Thursday. I took a cancellation for Finglas the next day and failed.

I had two grade twos and was on the Jamestown road on the way back to the test centre when some idiot was coming down the road on his motorbike on one wheel (wheelie evil knivel stylie), i didnt stop and the tester failed me (grade three/pink) for not reacting to it as a hazard. If i ever meet that motorbike guy again i am going to frong him.

Anyway i have just reapplied for Raheny (€75 ouch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Killme00 wrote: »
    Test was cancelled at last minute for last Thursday. I took a cancellation for Finglas the next day and failed.

I had two grade twos and was on the Jamestown road on the way back to the test centre when some idiot was coming down the road on his motorbike on one wheel (wheelie evil knivel stylie), i didnt stop and the tester failed me (grade three/pink) for not reacting to it as a hazard. If i ever meet that motorbike guy again i am going to frong him.

Anyway i have just reapplied for Raheny (€75 ouch).

Thats a disgrace - failing because of some eejit on a motorcycle, I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate that the test is outdated and needs a serious looking at

john47832 wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace - failing because of some eejit on a motorcycle, I would just like to take this opportunity to reiterate that the test is outdated and needs a serious looking at

In fairness, i didnt react enough. I should have stopped until the hazard had passed and i didnt. I'll get it next time.

Why do you think the test is outdated and how would you improve it?

In fairness, i didnt react enough. I should have stopped until the hazard had passed and i didnt. I'll get it next time.

Why do you think the test is outdated and how would you improve it?

You failed the test due to someone elses erratic behaviour, this brings in an element of luck into the equation, luck that when one does the test that there is no eejits around.

I believe the only way to bring this test up to date is to change the format of marking. Instead of taking marks away, how about giving marks. If you were to come accross 5 eejits on motorcycles and reacted competently to 4 of those and marginally poor to 1 then you would fail, because of the marking system, is this a rational test of competency?

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    You failed the test due to someone elses erratic behaviour, this brings in an element of luck into the equation, luck that when one does the test that there is no eejits around.

I believe the only way to bring this test up to date is to change the format of marking. Instead of taking marks away, how about giving marks. If you were to come accross 5 eejits on motorcycles and reacted competently to 4 of those and marginally poor to 1 then you would fail, because of the marking system, is this a rational test of competency?

This is the same as driving though, isnt it. You can react correctly 99 times out of 100 but that one time is the time that gets you or someone else hurt and causes damage.

This is the same as driving though, isnt it. You can react correctly 99 times out of 100 but that one time is the time that gets you or someone else hurt and causes damage.

It is a test of competency, not perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

It that format luck would come into play as well, assuming of course that no hazards presented themselves how could the tester know your competence at all, how could you get enough marks to pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DanWhack

Failed twice

first time i had 3 majors and when approaching a roundabout the guy had to slam the brakes on because there was a car already on the roundabout that i didnt stop for

second time i had 2 majors both on positioning i think, that pissed me off because i didnt feel i done that bad

not goin to bother sitting it agen as the price has gone up to £65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

My GF failed yesterday. Was very cruel, she had a near perfect sheet.. a couple of greens that was it, She tipped the curb slightly reversing on the turn about manouver. 1 pink mark.

Without tooting my own horn too much, I taught her to reverse so I know she can do it perfectly, I think nerves just go to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Under what heading did your gf get the grade 3 fault? Tipping the curb is not a grade 3 fault. Unless she rammed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yea a tip of the curb would not merit a grade 3

As the above 2 said, tipping the curb is not grade 3. Mounting the curb is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Under what heading did your gf get the grade 3 fault? Tipping the curb is not a grade 3 fault. Unless she rammed it.

LOL, you say that all the time but i got a grade 3 for tipping the kerb

i think it just depends on the instructor

my uncle mounted the kerb and didnt even get a mark for it

at the end of the day, it just depends on the tester :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

narrowly failed the first time...a nervous teenager!....
    passed the 2nd time :p

some of the questions..
    driving tester: what are mirrors for?
    me: applying make-up and checking the person out behind me

he then asked to see my rear end....i was dying!

i told him i was feeling peckish and he brought me to mc donlads...drive thru...

he wanted to push my buttons....ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

As the above 2 said, tipping the curb is not grade 3. Mounting the curb is.

as pink fluffy bunny said, it depends on the tester.

apparently the instructor never seen this tester before so there is a chance he might have been new to the test center trying prove himself(really don't get why people feel the need to go out the way to this). I checked with my GF and she tipped the curb, not mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

hobochris wrote: »

apparently the instructor never seen this tester before so there is a chance he might have been new to the test center trying prove himself(really don't get why people feel the need to go out the way to this). I checked with my GF and she tipped the curb, not mounted.

The RSA have no new testers, and even if he was new to the area he'd have no reason to try and "prove himself" as it wouldn't matter to any of his co-workers or supervisors whether he passed or failed everyone that day.

The guidelines for testers with regard to the turnabout & reverse manoeuvre, are that if the applicant touches the kerb lightly it would generally be deemed to be a Grade 1 fault. Hitting the kerb with a bit more force would generally be a Grade 2 fault, and even mounting the kerb with one wheel when doing the reverse would also be a Grade 2, providing the fault was corrected.

To get a Grade 3 you would either have to hit the kerb with a lot of force, or mount it with both wheels. In saying this however, it's the tester's interpretation of what's a gentle tip that counts, and this may differ from what your GF thinks is a gentle tip.

Are you sure she got the Grade 3 for competency rather than observation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Failed this morning on one grade 3 (Changing Lanes) had 5 grade 2's and 4 grade 1's, very pissed off as I can't see where I went wrong! ah well try again.......stupid wait time

hobochris wrote: »

hard luck to her anyway im sure she'll be posting in the other forum next time. hard luck rattlehead too.

EDIT: correction im sure you will be posting on her behalf that is if she is not a boards member, me silly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

I did my test yesterday and failed.

I got no grade 3, and a lot of sections were blank of marks.

I did reasonably well throughout with a few grade 1s, and a few grade 2s, except for on one section, being progress where I got a load of grade 2s.

I got:
    Four grade 2s for progress on the straight.
    1 grade 2 for progress turning right.
    3 grade 2s for progress turning left. 1 grade 2 for progress changing lanes.

For progress turning left and right, I was probably at junctions where the tester thought that I could have gone but I didn't. Just bad judgement really.

For progress on the straight, the tester took me to a lot of build up areas (in galway), that was extremely busy with traffic, and test was at 2.15 so there was a lot of school kids, lollipop people, nappy wagons, etc out and about. There was lot of cars parked at the side of the roads. The speed limit was 50, but in these built up areas I was doing 40 to 45 km. The road was wet as well. There was some areas where I was definiately reaching the speed limit of 50 and I was at one stage doing 60km in a 50km zone but he failed to see that and I didnt get any marks for speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robie

Hard luck better luck next you normaly get lack of progress on the straight
    for going to slow
    I did my test yesterday and failed.

I got no grade 3, and a lot of sections were blank of marks.

I did reasonably well throughout with a few grade 1s, and a few grade 2s, except for on one section, being progress where I got a load of grade 2s.

I got:
    Four grade 2s for progress on the straight.
    1 grade 2 for progress turning right.
    3 grade 2s for progress turning left. 1 grade 2 for progress changing lanes.

For progress turning left and right, I was probably at junctions where the tester thought that I could have gone but I didn't. Just bad judgement really.

For progress on the straight, the tester took me to a lot of build up areas (in galway), that was extremely busy with traffic, and test was at 2.15 so there was a lot of school kids, lollipop people, nappy wagons, etc out and about. There was lot of cars parked at the side of the roads. The speed limit was 50, but in these built up areas I was doing 40 to 45 km. The road was wet as well. There was some areas where I was definiately reaching the speed limit of 50 and I was at one stage doing 60km in a 50km zone but he failed to see that and I didnt get any marks for speed.

Next time I'll put the foot down and floor it and god help anyone that gets into my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Progress faults can also be recorded where you fail to 'keep with the flow' i.e. if you leave large gaps develop between you and the car in front in moving traffic. Obviously this only applies where the car in front is still obeying the speed limit :) Also be careful not to stop too far back from the car in front when stopping...keep it to the point where you can just see their rear wheels.

Good luck next time!!

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Progress faults can also be recorded where you fail to 'keep with the flow' i.e. if you leave large gaps develop between you and the car in front in moving traffic.

My instructor has said that to me a few times before. I'm worried that I'd drive into the rear end of the car in front. I'm going to cause some serious damage on the roads this summer if thats what testers are looking for from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Don't worry that you'll rear end someone. Just remember the simple rule of t&t (tyres and tarmac) you should be able to see a little bit of tarmac and the back tyres of car infront. Just brake gently as you reach stop and you'll be grand.

Also try to keep at 50km in 4th gear but make sure you keep 2 second rule, if its quite rainy keep twice that distance but maintain your speed as best you can.

It was good practice for you and good to know what you have to work on. You should pass no probs next time.

Advertisement