Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My instructor has said that to me a few times before. I'm worried that I'd drive into the rear end of the car in front. I'm going to cause some serious damage on the roads this summer if thats what testers are looking for from me.

You're talking two extremes there though. It doesn't mean you should be tailgating the car infront. It's referring to keeping pace with the traffic, ie not taking an age to get up to speed with the rest of traffic, assuming of course that the traffic is traveling at the speed limit and isn't accelerating excessively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Karmand

Hi,

Just a note to others be careful not to overobserve.I failed on overexaggerating my reaction to hazzards. Tester said I was checking my mirrors too much.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Wasn't that bothered going into the test because I knew it was my 1st time and I probably had a near 50/50 chance given the statistics...However coming out I thought I had the perfect drive, made no mistakes and observations were good...I was raging to learn I'd failed -

1X Grade 3 fault (positioning:turning right) - I don't even know where I went wrong, the only thing I can think that must mean is cutting across the white line on the approaching road or not positioning close to the road centre before turn off, I defo didn't do either!

Also a combo of 4 Grade 2's for clutching and gear control - I had 11 lessons with Hibernian Avivas and the instructor never once told me I had a prob with either. In fact the only thing he said I needed to be carefull of was wing mirror use and timing of signaling - both of which were flawlessly marked.

A few other observations in total that I couldn't understand - observation reversing - which I totally didn't understand, because just before I proceeded to reverse 3 cars in a row approached from behind and I waited till each had cleared, but still got marked!

1 grade 1, 10 grade 2's.

Pretty angry, don't think the system is fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

zippy84 wrote: »
    1 grade 1, 10 grade 2's.

Pretty angry, don't think the system is fair!

The system is outdated and a sham

john47832 wrote: »
    The system is outdated and a sham

I'm not sure it's outdated, it tests every aspect of driving, maybe you're right and it could be improved but I just believe there should be some kind of independent monitoring/inspection system to prevent them from unnecessarily failing people because I've little doubt that competent drivers are sometimes failed, why, I don't know maybe to keep the numbers coming in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

i failed yday...... i got a grade 3 for overtaking a parked truck when there was nothing coming in opposite direction and the road markings were broken white lines.... got 3 other grade 3s and 12 grade 2s. second test.... well angry afterwards.... was out driving with my instructor for 2 hours before the test who was very confident i would pass and couldnt fault my driving ....
    system sucks

six other people doing the test at the same time as me yday and every one of us failed???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

jenny4385 wrote: »
    i failed yday.....six other people doing the test at the same time as me yday and every one of us failed???

Surely you weren't all that bad!

Was speaking to a hackney driver last week. Told him that I failed the driving test recently. In his line of work he meets a lot of people. Well he told me that a lot of people, people he knows and people that would use his hackney service has failed the driving test recently.

He reckons that testers fail people on purpose to keep themselves in a job. Wonder would there be any truth in this. It would be silly if this was true because driving testers are always going to have a job.

Are there any driving testers that use boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Not convinced!!

It's well known that waiting times have been drying up of late and testers know that the more learners they fail, the safer their jobs, makes sense to me, just a pity some of us have to suffer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

zippy84 wrote: »
    Not convinced!!

It's well known that waiting times have been drying up of late and testers know that the more learners they fail, the safer their jobs, makes sense to me, just a pity some of us have to suffer for it.

RSA driving testers are public servents, they can't lose their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Looks like i'm the latest member of team fail. Did it in Finglas. While i'm sure all the testers are professional, I knew instantly that mine was a real hard ass. He didn't even introduce himself to me (another nearby was chirpy by comparrison but still pro). Really feel it depends on who you get. Failed mostly on observations - TBH, if my looks were any more exaggerated, i'd have gotten whiplash. Disappointed.

Another 10 week wait now. With new, higher price. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Failed it on Friday, ticks for observation and accelerating too harshly, complete and utter joke as my driving was perfect.

The tester copped an attitude with me from the second he stepped into the car, when I asked him for some pointers (after I failed) he immediately went on the defensive and told me he wasn't going to speak to me and he wasn't permitted to say anything. Then he asked "is that you're usual driving style" and "have you done the test before" in a real sarcastic voice, when I persisted to seek advice from him, he went further into a fluster and told me I had "no control over the car" which was a really bewildering statement when you consider I've been driving for 3 years.

100% he decided he was going to fail me the second he saw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Jeez i'm getting really worried about doing my test now after reading all these bad stories. That's if i ever get a date. I'm waiting over 3 months now:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't want to do a test after seeing the size of this thread! Then again I won't for a while, I am at the cutting out at traffic lights now and again stage. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Jeez i'm getting really worried about doing my test now after reading all these bad stories. That's if i ever get a date. I'm waiting over 3 months now:(

The 'Succesful' thread is bigger ;)

I don't want to do a test after seeing the size of this thread! Then again I won't for a while, I am at the cutting out at traffic lights now and again stage. :/

I was at that stage about this time last year, it felt like things would never change but once you dont shirk away from the wheel and practice you WILL get there.

Its certainly a rough stage but there is no faster way to learn then being at the head of a long line of traffic at a red light...on a hill :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Its certainly a rough stage but there is no faster way to learn then being at the head of a long line of traffic at a red light...on a hill :)

It seems it is just that car, nissan micra, that I cut out in. I never do in any other petrol car or a diesal car. Really happy actually, I've just started, did a lesson today(3rd one I think, 1st with this instructor) and the instructor says I should apply for the test. I'll be posting again in here soon enough. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

It seems it is just that car, nissan micra, that I cut out in. I never do in any other petrol car or a diesal car. Really happy actually, I've just started, did a lesson today(3rd one I think, 1st with this instructor) and the instructor says I should apply for the test. I'll be posting again in here soon enough. :D

Normally I would say a workman never blames his tools but I learnt to drive in my GF's 206...constantly cutting out. I was under the assumption that this was the way things were until we went together and bought a Golf. The day we bought the golf was the day my cutting out days ended.

Pish posh, you'll be posting in d'other thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

hi, I am the latest entry to the club. This was my first chance. I failed today at Finglas, my test went really well after the test I thought i was sure to get through. But I was horrified when tester told me that I had failed. 16 grade 2, ( 5 for moving off-- observation, 5 moving off signal, one overspeed which I agree, 2 for position on straight) I am really clueless. I agree that i did not indicated when moving off, because there was nothing from behind. In order to undone me he asked me to stop 5 times during the test. Strangely he marked me in observation for moving off, I am sure I checked every where before moving off. Although I have applied for another test, yet I want to appeal against the decision. Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Appealing the decision will no result in you being given a pass grade and therefore a full license. The best you could hope for is a free retest, given the amount of grade 2's involved i would say it wouldn't be worth it. If the tester was negligent in some way then you could appeal but you wont gain much. My advice, reapply and go for it again, use what you've learned to your advantage and give it your best shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

aqua2027 wrote: »
    hi, I am the latest entry to the club. This was my first chance. I failed today at Finglas, my test went really well after the test I thought i was sure to get through. But I was horrified when tester told me that I had failed. 16 grade 2, ( 5 for moving off-- observation, 5 moving off signal, one overspeed which I agree, 2 for position on straight) I am really clueless. I agree that i did not indicated when moving off, because there was nothing from behind. In order to undone me he asked me to stop 5 times during the test. Strangely he marked me in observation for moving off, I am sure I checked every where before moving off. Although I have applied for another test, yet I want to appeal against the decision. Please advise.

A likely cause of the observation faults when moving off is lacking to check your blindspot. In recent meetings held by the RSA they emphasised this and your instructor should also have emphasised the importance of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

If you are stopped in on the left the correct procedure is to indicate right, check behind you using your rear/right mirrors and just before you pull out, look over your right shoulder to check your blindspot. Even if there is nobody behind you still use your indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

GStormcrow wrote: »
    If you are stopped in on the left the correct procedure is to indicate right, check behind you using your rear/right mirrors and just before you pull out, look over your right shoulder to check your blindspot. Even if there is nobody behind you still use your indicator.
    I checked mirrors, turned around to see both sides, and when I saw nothing coming from behind, thats why i did not give indication. Few times when some1 was coming from behind, I gave left indicator to stop. May be I ll careful next time. Alas a cruel 11 week waiting period. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

You shouldnt have to wait 11 weeks if you're willing to take a cancellation. I got 2 cancellations. One was 3 days after I applied and one was 2 weeks after I applied. Passed on my second time in tallaght. Didnt really know the area but once you get a good instructor you should be able to do your test anywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

aqua2027 wrote: »

Snap.. failed yesterday in Finglas too, observation aswel.. I observed my ass off.. Oh well, better luck next time.. I had a female examiner.. lovely woman*

First attempt so I won't beat myself up too much.. It is a horrible feeling though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Is it possible to get two grade threes for the same fault? I turned right at an amber light as I thought 'proceeding with caution' was the right thing to do but clearly not. Then I got another grade 3 for turning right so i'm assuming its the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JuiceTerry

Hi Guys,

This is my SECOND fail and it is very dis-spirting and crushing. Arguably, this result was worse than my first attempt in December.

I have had numerous lessons in the past year with the ISM (over-rated) and Dublin Airport driving school (rip-off merchants).

I have however recently found an independent guy - SafetyFirst- who I would strongly recommend although I only had two lessons with him this week. Great value for money.
    I should have had a couple of more refresher lessons rather than the two hasty ones that I had. I did learn a lot from him though and I will be back.

Normally my driving is smooth, competent and nearly flawless.

Behind a wheel in a test however..........you just seize up.

Last time, I went over the kerb whilst reversing around the corner ( I only learned how to do this in the past few months) and was failed for observation turning right and mirrors.

This time, I have mastered though however I have made a number of silly mistakes.

Reaction to Hazards (?!) and position turning right failed me this time. I think I "swan-necked" a few times.

I also got a Grade 3 for Stopping - it seems I slowed down rather than stopping completely. mmmmmmm

I think I was too focused on moving my head around in a stupidly animated fashion so I wouldn't get ticked on observation and mirrors ( I didn't) however the cost was that this distracted me from other aspects of my driving.

The test is now €75 euro and the waiting lists are longer.

Well, third time lucky hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jaytime11

I"m new to the thread and enjoying all the reading. I also failed my test loads and loads of times. My advice is find a good instructor and practice. I also got a great book on line called 101 Tips to Pass your driving test. Not sure if I can name the website ( I read the ruleS:D) so Pm me if you want to know as I dont want the snip!:(
    Practice Practice Practice...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Failed first time today in Tallaght. 24 grade 2's and 1 grade 1,haha. Postion, particurlarly on turning left killed me. Also progress on turns. It's fair enough, haven't been driving long. Gonna reapply but take the test in a different car, clutch on mine is abit woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Aye - I'm the same in my micra. Even my grandfather cuts it out, and he has SO many years' experience and is an excellent driver. I think it's just super sensitive.
    I complained about it to my instructor, she took me to a quiet road and got me to do some simple clutch manoeuvres - just driving down a bit clutch only. I insisted it wouldn't work, I even got to the point where I knew exactly at what point it would cut out. She made me do it even slower - and it worked! really could take off clutch-only!
    So try that for a while and you'll get used to how sensitive it is and not cut out anymore. Or less, anyway ;)

Advertisement