Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Also, I was asked a question which wasn't in the "Get it" book or the leaflet of "50 most asked questions" from Airport.. she asked me what I would do in the event of a driver blinding me with their headlights at night.. I was completely thrown off.. I answered "flash them" :o don't think that did me any favours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sanf

Failed in Tallaght this morning. 11 Grade 2 errors. Learning since last Sept and have my own car 4 months. Got 4 grade 2s for clutching so think I've been coasting a bit coming to a full stop. The other grade 2s were fair. Overall a fair grade I think with some stuff to work on for the re-test :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Failed this afternoon in Finglas. Was doing pretty well had a few grade 2s for progression at roundabouts that I knew when I did it it was silly. BUT then I was on a roundabout, saw a crazy motorcyclist coming up behind me, looked in the mirrors and all and just kept my cool. Then he ticked me a grade 3 for observation on a roundabout. no clue what he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My sister failed in Tallaght. Retest is in nearly 3 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

OisinT wrote: »
    Failed this afternoon in Finglas. Was doing pretty well had a few grade 2s for progression at roundabouts that I knew when I did it it was silly. BUT then I was on a roundabout, saw a crazy motorcyclist coming up behind me, looked in the mirrors and all and just kept my cool. Then he ticked me a grade 3 for observation on a roundabout. no clue what he was on about.

I slept on it and I'm really not sure what I did wrong... can anyone tell me what is a grade 3 error for observation on a roundabout? I wish I could fecking appeal it rather than redoing it. They just want my money.
    I also think it's ridiculous that I cannot exchange my US licence for an Irish full licence (like you can elsewhere in the EU with either a simple written test or in some states nothing at all). I'm sick of hearing that the US is only "automatics" which is total bull**** made up by someone I'm sure has never even been outside of Ireland. In the 10 years I spent in the US I never owned one automatic car and drove one only twice when I rented a van to move. I just don't understand how the system can vary so much between Member States

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Hi,

Failed second time in Churchtown today. So dissillusioned by the whole system. I had a lesson yesterday and another one today. My instructor and myslef were confident that I would pass. I went into the room and there was the same tester I had for the first test. Is this fair? I just kept thinking last time he saw me I was a blubbering mess. Anyway flew through all the check and did the route I was used to. Did all my manouvers fine. Came back thinking I passed for sure. 11 grade twos. 0 grade 3s. I know this might sound cliche but I did deserve to pass. The first time I messed up but this time I drove well. Got marked on turning left twice which is really annoying because I had this practiced so much. Also on observation for the reverse around the corner. But I know I did look at my mirrors. I just feel that this whole thing is a money making scheme. Thankfully I did not cry like a baby and I just sat there looking at him with disbeleif. Don't really want to apply again there is only so much one can take.

Rant over...

I seriously don't think its fair to get the same person again clearly he will be slightly prejudice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

Maybe do the test at another centre ? you would be very unlucky if you got him for a third time:p Maybe a change of scenery would help.Don't give up now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

First of all hard luck on the test result but dont give up! 11 grade 2 marks is not that bad - fix 3 mistakes and you'll pass it the next time!

One important point, you said :
    d4gurl wrote: »
    Hi,

Also on observation for the reverse around the corner. But I know I did look at my mirrors. I

If you only look in your mirrors will be generally be faulted for observation. You must look out the rear window and not rely completely on the mirrors! Also, you must check your right blindspot just at the corner before you turn the wheel.

Good luck next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

If you only look in your mirrors will be generally be faulted for observation. You must look out the rear window and not rely completely on the mirrors! Also, you must check your right blindspot just at the corner before you turn the wheel.

Good luck next time.[/QUOTE]

I used the back window and rear windo to do my reverse and glanced at the side mirrors . I also made a point to pause cheeck through my blindspots. Im just utterly gobsmacked. My mum and instructor are to! I know I shouldn't feel victimised and their doing their job...but seriously?! I had so many obstruction pedesetrians running out infront of me and cars just reversing out in the middle of the road and I kept it cool and didnt get marked for any of that clearly I can drive! I have been driving now for three years. The last year I have had my own car and have really done all I can do! I'm going to apply again but this time a cancellation in Rathgar. Although their not meant to be any better! Its funny how all my friends who did the test in sgs passed first time and did stupid things like hit the kurb on reversing and I did everything I could to pass and failed again! I know extended rambling.

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

failed my test in NAAS today

failed for a real <SNIP> of a tester..... was told pre hand that the testers were all stroppy <SNIP> by a driving instructor.

2 pre-tests in 2 different areas and they went great but just got a <SNIP> tester ! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Robbie,
    I suggest you read the charter before posting again, it's against forum rules to refer to testers/rsa in an offensive manner. Maybe explain your faults and where you think you fell down, rather than blaming it on someone else.
    Btw, talk about poor form from your driving instructor referring to examiners as he did, it's hardly a great thing to say before going into a test.
    More than one Pre-Test really serves little purpose and are all too often not a good indicator of how you'll do in the real thing. Your money would be better spent on more lessons IMO.

i had 2 different driving teachers both of which were great. no problems at all

the tester was infact very dodgy by marking me wrong and looking to get home early.

the car was fine and there are exactly 3 Grade 2's that i admit i do deserve but any other marks are really unfair.

but insted he gave me 9 Grade 2's and 3 Grade 3's which were really unfair and can't see why he would give them to me.

oral and checks all went perfectly without one single mistake but he was marking me for no reason during the driving test itself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Testers may not mark the sheet immediately after the fault, they may do it a bit later, which you might interpret as the tester marking you unfairly. It's often the case that people don't notice the faults they receive, and this is usually the exact reason they got the faults.
    Hard luck on the test, i didn't mean to sound harsh or anything, best bet is to reapply as soon as possible, work on your mistakes and try again.
    Best of Luck.

the thing is i do know where i went wrong but not enough to fail....

i do think it is quite silly that the test only lasted 15mins !!!

nearly everything was perfect except for 3 or 4 mistakes in grade two but i still didnt deserve to fail though.... quite stupid but ahwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭sxt

what were the three grade 3 faults for? These are only given for "Dangerous or potentially dangerous" faults.

sxt wrote: »
    what were the three grade 3 faults for?

one was for position on turning right....but i have no idea why he gave it to me cos it was fine....I can remember everything from the test cos it was only 15 mins

2 for observation on taking off and turning right which is a load of crap because i looked absolutly everywhere and anywhere and should've being done for over observation ! :o

i was no where near dangerous and there is no way in hell i shouldve got them

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

praying i wouldnt have to posthere,

did my test in raheny

failed with ten grade 2 faults,

reverse perfect, turnabout perfect,

got caught behind the 32 bus and got 3 grade 2's for progress, 30 seconds from the test centre, absolute killer thought i had it, got another for not indicating on one of those mini roundabouts,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

me failed today :(

nightmare as in a jam getting into the test parking area and getting out

a nice scattering of 16 grade 2 !

most are simple for me to correct being observation at junctions etc

one was clearnace of stationary vehicle, which was odd as the road (if its where he marked me had a stationery vehicle on left I slowed to almost a halt, as the traffic ahead did, indicated checked for anyone behine it (van and moved around it back into right position - I was ultra careful

anyways most things I can see how I did that

but 4 grade 2s for footbrake is wrecking my head - If he ever drove a peugeot 307 he'd know - not sure I can get to being any more sensitive to its sharpness than i am ( both instructiors I had thought it was ok, but I guess they saw it as a feature of the car)

The only time I braked quickly was when a tourist literally walked into the street suddenly rasing his hand like he had priority. I braked fully as 1. he appearred from nowhere 2. his behaviour seemed erratic

But I do have to say the tester was a very pleasant man, parkign up was a disaster becaused of the traffic jam continuing, I swang too close to the kerb on left of space but couldnot correct due to the traffic behind me, he told me he didn't mark it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

one was clearnace of stationary vehicle, which was odd as the road (if its where he marked me had a stationery vehicle on left I slowed to almost a halt, as the traffic ahead did, indicated checked for anyone behine it (van and moved around it back into right position - I was ultra careful

The parked car was on the left and there was traffic coming from both directions? Was there parked cars on the right as well? If there was only the one car on the left surely the cars coming from the other direction had right of way as the obstruction was on your side, did you let them go first before passing the car? Just a thought that might be why it was marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

no no oncoming traffic

i was john street and some guy parked atthe council gates then moved out only to try parking on other side of the road

I am presumign its this time

only other time I can think of is when I ended my turnabout he asked me to pull up on left, due to where he picked was only short distanct from a car - I told him I was goign to move back a fott before moving out

but that was moving out, not overtaking - oh I dunno

I don't mind that, I am often impatient with the stupidity on the roads so ok he marked that - the footbrake thing still annoys me . A mate advised I use thier car next time as they also find the brake difficult to use entirely free of "small" jolts sometime s- peugoets are ultra sensitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

think i'll be posting here later..... test at 14.05 :(

feeling fairly stressed out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Good luck :) Is this your first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

It was my first.... won't be my last :(

Was completely frazzled! Wasn't too bad once i got going but she did me for having my foot hovering near the clutch all the time (i wasn't actually coasting but apparently it's the same difference :confused:) and claimed my observation was 'hit or miss' (slightly disagree with that one but ho-hum, not point arguing is there?)

Fairly annoyed as retesting is a huge expense for us which we could have done without and it was largely my nerves that caused alot of the probs... fgs, i know not to hover my foot by the clutch, i was just edgy because of the streets i was driving on, lots of stop/start/stop/start malarkey.

checking the waiting times for other centres online now.... i hate driving in roscommon at the best of times but when the boyfriend did the test there last year they did most of the maneuvers in housing estates so i figured it wouldn't be too bad... she had me doing all that stuff right in town though, my reverse around a corner was practically a reverse u turn as the street she had me reversing on was joining the main road at an angle! think i'll go for castlebar next time as it's a much easier town to drive around.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I had to do test several times before I passed. I was driving years and kept failing. So I took more lessons, and passed. I was reluctant to do this before, but would still be taking tests and failing today if if hadn't. I still don't really like driving. Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Failed this morning in Finglas. 13 grade 2's. 4 for reacting to hazzards. Think i hit 2 ramps slightly fast. 2 for progress on the straight. I was worried about speeding like i usually do but seems i was too slow. Pissed off but what can ya do but re-apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Oh and does anyone know what the story is with re-applying. My provisional runs out next week and i need to get a new one. Can i apply for the test today anyway? Does the driver number or anything on the provisional change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

PinkTulips wrote: »
    It was my first.... won't be my last :(

Was completely frazzled! Wasn't too bad once i got going but she did me for having my foot hovering near the clutch all the time (i wasn't actually coasting but apparently it's the same difference :confused:) and claimed my observation was 'hit or miss' (slightly disagree with that one but ho-hum, not point arguing is there?)

Fairly annoyed as retesting is a huge expense for us which we could have done without and it was largely my nerves that caused alot of the probs... fgs, i know not to hover my foot by the clutch, i was just edgy because of the streets i was driving on, lots of stop/start/stop/start malarkey.

checking the waiting times for other centres online now.... i hate driving in roscommon at the best of times but when the boyfriend did the test there last year they did most of the maneuvers in housing estates so i figured it wouldn't be too bad... she had me doing all that stuff right in town though, my reverse around a corner was practically a reverse u turn as the street she had me reversing on was joining the main road at an angle! think i'll go for castlebar next time as it's a much easier town to drive around.

If you'd be willing to drive a bit further, Ballina is meant to be an easy place to pass it? ;)

I failed mine first time too - same as yourself, stupid mistakes when I should have known better, like grinding the gearbox and lack of progress. I was so devastated when I failed because I'd spent so much money and time on lessons. Second time round though I knew what to expect, I was a lot more confident, and I passed :cool: And I'm sure you will too, best of luck with it!

Looking back though, I wasn't as good a driver as I thought I was first time round. The extra lessons and practice I got for the second test made a massive difference, and I know I'm a much better and safer driver now because of it, so for me it actually worked out better in the long run. Though it sure as hell didn't feel like that at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

:(
    failed today in finglas... again 4th time!!!
    11 grade 2's.... saw the marking sheet the tester gave the girl before me--- identical marks.... 2 for accelerator and 4 for gears.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Hard luck Jen - 4 for gears, does that mean if you were driving an Automatic you would have passed?

Advertisement