Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭jenny4385

nope cos girl before me was driving an automatic car???
    my gears were fine we were sitting in traffic in finglas, i had the car in neutral, handbrake up and he put the 4 marks on the page there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

jenny4385 wrote: »
    nope cos girl before me was driving an automatic car???
    my gears were fine we were sitting in traffic in finglas, i had the car in neutral, handbrake up and he put the 4 marks on the page there

As far as I know they don't usually mark the page as you're making the mistake, or directly after you do it. He could have been marking you for something you did a few minutes before.

In my first test (failed) I was concentrating waaay too much on the tester and what he was/wasn't marking. Second time round (passed) I refused to even try to look at his sheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 upthedubs**

Had my first driving test in Tallaght today. Found the tester very sarcastic which wasnt appreciated at that moment in time as I was very nervous.
    Got 6 grade 2's n one grade 3 for reaction to a hazard.

Driver pulling out of drive-way...I stopped waited for the car to come out for bout 10 seconds no sign of it coming out so I kept going n when I got midway passed the car he started to reverse back n I got the grade 3 for that. I really think it was unesscessary seeing as I waited for the car to reverse out.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH so angry another €75!:mad::mad::mad:

hard luck,
    they give grade 3 s for the littlest of things. i had a football come out in front of me on a busy main road followed by a woman who didnt look about 2 feet in front of car. i emergency stopped... grade 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17 upthedubs**

Thats terrible, I was so sure Id passed. Despite being so nervous I drived real well, no silly mistakes. Cudnt believe it.:mad::mad:
    Gonna apply tomorrow and try get one asap.
    Have u re-applied yet Jenny? If so how long before your next one?

• Advertisement

had my test last friday, came home n applied again straight away got a date last wednesday and its next friday eeeek fingers crossed evryone... 5th time for me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

I failed today in Sarsfield Road Cork. not too disappointed, it was my first test, just driving a year. I got 23 grade 2s, mainly for vehicle controls (clutch, accelerator and brake only), progress, hazards and position. no grade 1s or grade 3s.
    checking engine was fine, as was secondary controls. got level crossing sign, was a bit tricky trying to think was it guarded or unguarded. rules of the road were fine- overtaking on left, box junction, dipping lights, amber&green light, clearway, yellow lines, 2 broken lines in middle of road etc.

I turned left out of test centre, down to the Sarsfield roundabout. I went through the 1st set of lights, up to the 2nd set, car ahead stopped at line with hazard lights on. lights were red-I pulled up behind him, it didn't even click he had broken down, I just thought he'd move off. examiner told me he must be broken down, indicate and overtake. up to Wilton roundabout, went right for Glasheen, did turnabout in Summerstown on a hill! handbrake at end of every move! I did it in 5 to be on the safe side. no marks taken off for that, so did it very well. I did reverse at shop in Summerstown, that was fine.

I drove around there, then onto Clashduv Road, went left towards Lidl. Word of warning to other learners- when I was facing Lidl, he didn't say turn left or right there, so I asked 'am i going to the right', he said follow the road markings, so that was a tricky part. I should have known where the road was going.

I did hillstart and hand signals around corner from Lidl. he asked me about tyre check. off to Ballyphehane, did the roundabout near tory top, down to Pouladuff roundabout, right for Togher and back. mainly need to work on vehicle controls, which I have found tough as I used stall a lot. but he said that can be worked on. on the plus-side, he said my observation was excellent. had no marks taken off for signalling, mirrors, speed, overtaking, yielding, parking etc.
    the tester was so sound. he was very nice and polite, instructions were clear and he gave me advice after. I thanked him for being so clear and nice, as I get very nervous. so there, we go!! am applying again. at least the initial shock is over me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

rebelpixie wrote: »
    dipping lights
    What was the question he asked about that?

Was it if you had you full lights on and someone was coming towards you so u dimmed your lights?
    rebelpixie wrote: »
    he asked me about tyre check
    Whats that now?

Is it like the tyre tread depth is 1.6mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpixie

not14talk wrote: »
    What was the question he asked about that?

Was it if you had you full lights on and someone was coming towards you so u dimmed your lights?

Whats that now?

Is it like the tyre tread depth is 1.6mm?

yes that's it. I said you'd dip your headlights: coming into a built-up area; when traffic is coming towards you; car in front of you; fog and falling snow.
    yes you would mention tyre tread depth for the tyre check. I also said I'd look for cuts and bulges on inner and outer wall, uneven wear, and check air pressure. there's a thread here that has all the technical check information, it's a sticky. If you have any more questions, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

failed this am in rathgar, not too disapointed mad a complete hash of the reverse round the corner bit and kinda went dowhill from there, but sure second time lucky:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Commiserations to everyone else who failed. I failed myself today in Carlow. Wasn't able to post earlier on, I was completely devasted. It wasn't completely unexpected though, I had expected to get a grade 3 on the way back to town (pulling out on a roundabout in front of a car coming from the right :( ) but was only given a grade 2 for this. I ended up getting most of my grade 2 in the gears, clutch, footbrake and handbrake area and this shocked me more than failing to be quite honest. I didn't stutter, splutter, cut out or any of the noticable things while starting off/stopping so this has me stumped at the moment. A combination of 4 stupid mistakes with indicators and observation and a sign (all grade 2's and no threes :) although a fail is still a fail :() that threw me back at the office meant that I've to rebook tonight. Fingers crossed for next time. Best of luck to any fellow re-sitters. Night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Does anyone have the stats on the percentage of pass rate now compared to when the RSA were saying they were cutting waiting times

i have a number of friends who all passed at that time, and have a number of friends who cannot seem to pass at this moment

coincidence?

just failed again 5th time in finglas.. got 10 grade 2s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hard luck x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Maybe driving just isn't for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Rb wrote: »
    Maybe driving just isn't for you?

That's hardly a helpful comment now is it? Consider yourself warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My sister failed her test again yesterday.

Here's to 3rd time lucky..

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

i don't know what's the record by u guys.
    but i'm got take my 6th test next week.

the first 2 i was using a car with right hand side steering wheel. (finglas)
    then went with the driving school (finglas) (almost no clutch in their car)
    then i went with a cheaper d. school which i was did a lesson and assessment with 2 different instructors. (finglas) (f*cking tester put 4 faults in steering where none of the instructors found any fault)
    last one in Tallaght with car with super sensitive break. the tester said i did too many little mistakes (as soon as we started he began checking faults for no reason)

i'm not saying that all of them are their fault. but spending way to much money now.

should i try again the car with right hand side steering wheel??? or still pay 140 EUR for driving assessment + hiring the driving school car for test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Failed today in wicklow. It was my first time and i kind of expected it but i was suprised with the amount of grade 2's i got because i thought i drove fine. I got 14 grade 2's for failure to progress on the straight, over taking, position turning left and right and a few for observation. I got one grade 3 for pedrestrian crossing. The crossing itself was absolutely clear when i went over it but somewhen stepped on it just as i was over it. I guess i didn't notice that one person out of million that where in the area. Anyway, it's not that bad for a first time but next time i will be applying for tallaght because if i have to drive around that horrible town again. i will go mental. I had to tackle road works, a lorry parked on double yellow lines, pedrestrians walking out in front of me, children lying on the middle of roads in estates. I thought i should have passed for how i managed to get through all that but unfortunately, the tester has to mark his sheet no matter how bad the obstructions were on the day of the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Failed today in wicklow. It was my first time and i kind of expected it but i was suprised with the amount of grade 2's i got because i thought i drove fine. I got 14 grade 2's for failure to progress on the straight, over taking, position turning left and right and a few for observation. I got one grade 3 for pedrestrian crossing. The crossing itself was absolutely clear when i went over it but somewhen stepped on it just as i was over it. I guess i didn't notice that one person out of million that where in the area. Anyway, it's not that bad for a first time but next time i will be applying for tallaght because if i have to drive around that horrible town again. i will go mental. I had to tackle road works, a lorry parked on double yellow lines, pedrestrians walking out in front of me, children lying on the middle of roads in estates. I thought i should have passed for how i managed to get through all that but unfortunately, the tester has to mark his sheet no matter how bad the obstructions were on the day of the test.

Unlucky mate know the feeling had a test like that.. All the hazards you pray not to hapen happen.. Better luck next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I failed my test on friday. I got 10 grade 2s, a grade 1 and a grade 3. I really dont understand why. I went from fine with my instuctor to dangerous driving according to the tester. I got 3 grade twos for reaction to hazards...Eh I stopped. Isnt that the proper reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I failed my test on friday. I got 10 grade 2s, a grade 1 and a grade 3. I really dont understand why. I went from fine with my instuctor to dangerous driving according to the tester. I got 3 grade twos for reaction to hazards...Eh I stopped. Isnt that the proper reaction?

They are pretty strict alright. Bring back sgs. Everyone i know passed with them and it took a few times for my other friends to pass with rsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That's hardly a helpful comment now is it? Consider yourself warned.
    It could be the most helpful comment they'll get, if people weren't so eager to tip toe around the truth for merely the sake of doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 purpleeblue

Failed today in Tipp town. Got four grade 2 marks for gears so automatic fail. Not sure why though. 3 instructors in a year and a half have never seen any problem with the way I change gears. The examiner said its clearly a persistant problem I've been having but my instructor took me out afterwards and said he hasn't a clue what its in reference to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Failed today in Tipp town. Got four grade 2 marks for gears so automatic fail. Not sure why though. 3 instructors in a year and a half have never seen any problem with the way I change gears. The examiner said its clearly a persistant problem I've been having but my instructor took me out afterwards and said he hasn't a clue what its in reference to...

Correct me if I am wrong but arent you allowed 8 grade two's before you fail? Failing you on 4 seems quite harsh imo!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 purpleeblue

Not if you repeat the same misake. Four grade twos for the same fault constitutes an automatic fail.
    I'm sure that I was doing something wrong I just wish someone could tell me what so I don't fail again :( My driving instructor was equally as confused as to what the problem was. Its just a little frustrating not knowing why I failed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jacky1

Failed today on 1st attempt. Got 4 xGrade 2 for gear & 2x Grade 2 for clutch. Nothing else at all. Don't know where I went wrong for them. Tester would not discuss results with me. Man! Another 75euro will have to be forked out. Anybody else failed for those reasons??

Advertisement