Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Did you coast at all? that might explain gear and clutch faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Well...yesterday sucked...I failed my test and one of my pets died.

Failed in Rathgar. It was my 1st test. Got a few grade 1's, loads of grade 2's and one grade 3. i was really shocked by the results and my instructor couldn't get over it! Did a pre-test yesterday and passed it with ease.

The tester was making that noise wher you inhale sharply loads while I was driving as if I was about to crash or something but each time he did it I would try to see what he was worried about and there was nothing so I thought he might just have a tic. When he gave me my results he said 'you had a few very near misses with on-coming traffic' and I honestly thought he was joking with me. I have never had a 'near-miss' with on coming traffic.

In fairness I did mess up my reverse-around-corner and them towards the end of the test I knew my nerves were getting the better of me so I thought I probably had failed by a little bit. I never in a million years thought I would get so many faults :( Very confused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Hard luck, I did it about 4 times before I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I've done it 3 times already, twice failed for things I did that I would never usually do (i blame the nerves!) and the third time the guy was making up stuff to fail me on, he was horrible!

Applied again but if I don't get it this time, then I give up, I refuse to pay them any more money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Failed again today for the 3rd time! Te guy once again failed me for the same grade 3 fault, funny enough, it was the same guy on the same test centre. So Ive sent a letter / email to the RSA.

He asked me at the end of the test was this my 1st time, I said no 3rd and 2nd time with you, he looked at me and went "OH" ......... like wtf do you mean "Oh"

Anyway defo getting a different centre and tester next time (will be my last)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭allen175

Is it just me or are they getting alot stricter on wheter or not they pass you!!! failed again for the 3rd time!! done a pre-test yesterday and he said i would pass if i kept up what i was doing!

Got a grade 3 for not yeilding at a stop sign, i know what it was cos the a$$ beeped me coming off the stop! and grade 1's and 2's for progress on the straight!!!! like wtf?!

Each time i have had different markings on that stupid piece of paper!!!

ARGH!!! does this mean that the next time there will be an extra person in the car while out on a test??

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I think so (but obviously i'm slightly biased ha), each time I got different marks completely. Fair enough the first time I deserved the grade 3, second time the guy was plain nasty and was making up stuff that never happened, and the third time I was definitely wrong but don't thing it heralded a grade 3!

Awaiting a new test date, will just have to pray and see what happens.

Btw which test centre did you guys do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Just failed my first today in Raheny. Kind of surprised how bad it was - like 14 grade 2s and a few grade 1s. For the most part, I felt quite relaxed and like things were going ok.

Made a mess of the reverse around a corner, cos I'd been practicing quite easy corners and he picked a really really sharp one. I basically reversed into the middle of a thin laneway and just tried to straighten the car out closer to the kerb.

Then, during the turnabout, another extremely narrow road. When I was about 2/3 through it (making it at least a 5 point turn), a woman squeezed past in a people carrier from my left, and pulled over to park directly in my path (thanks, mysterious idiot). So I had to reverse back and straighten up more before overtaking, while some pissed off guy was waiting to enter from the main road to my right. Oh well.

I got a total of six grade 2s for road position, not really sure why, nor was my instructor. Also, four grade 4s for reaction to hazards, which sucks. I thought I was doing reasonably ok there.

He didn't tell me anything afterwards except that I'd failed and that my instructor would be able to explain everything. Which is stupid because my instructor didn't come with us on the test, and wouldn't be able to explain where I made mistakes, why, and how to avoid them. Wish the tester would have at least said "you were slowing down too much at corners" or something.

Not sure what to work on to improve things, or if I should book another test straight away or what. That many grade 2s is pretty bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Failed on my 1st test today, nerves kicked in and put me off it

Unfortunely i got a grade 3 fot taping my mirror against another vehicles mirror. But did very well on position, observation, react to hazords,signals,speed and reverse. Got a grade 2 in clearence/overtake which i also got the grade 3 in, got a grade 2 in progress, grade 2 in vehicle, grade 2 in reverse, grade 2 on position and grade 2 in turnabout.

Usualy the reverse and turnabout go well but today they didnt for some reson.

The nerves kicked in big time and i wasnt as confident, at least i know now what to expect and shouldnt be nervous as much next time.

keezer wrote: »
    The nerves kicked in big time and i wasnt as confident, at least i know now what to expect and shouldnt be nervous as much next time.
    And even if they do kick in next time, you'll have a better "B game" to fall back on thanks to your experiences in the last test - if you can keep things together with the stress of even gently tapping another mirror at low speeds, you can hold it together next time even better.

It's good to know that, no matter how nervous you are, you can still perform. Ironically it takes away some of the nervousness :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Failed in Rathgar – first time.

Totally messed up a right turn into a narrow road and had to jerk the wheel to the left to get into my lane or I would have hit an oncoming car. Grade 3 right at the start: game over. Apart from that I drove pretty well, a few grade 2’s but nothing heavy. I was worried about the corner reverse but I totally killed that. Oh well, time to reapply.

Annoyingly the tester wouldn’t tell me if I did the wrong thing on a few occasions. Maybe they aren’t meant too?

Edit – to clear up that last point, I mean back at the centre not while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Thats a shame, seems you just had the nerves, a bit more practice and you should nail it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

11 grade 2's, a few grade 1's and a grade 3. He said, "I blew it right at the end". On the very last turn right, I went out in front of someone (he seemed to come out of nowhere), luckily he was going slow, but I knew it was a bad mistake. It was funny he panicked a bit, but I just carried on, I didn't stop. Fantastic tester, great guy, polite and put me at ease. Very disappointed though :( I got 4 grade 2's for observation turning left and turning right, which I thought was harsh, 1 for speed, again, harsh, 1 for rules/checks. Engine stopped as I was stopping to do the reverse, and must have got a grade 2 for that, didn't clutch in time. Didn't indicate round an obstacle once, so another grade 2.

Four-Too wrote: »
    Didn't indicate round an obstacle once, so another grade 2.
    Is it? I often don't indicate when I'm moving round obstacles, unless things are tight and I move out very late. Maybe that was part of my grade 2s for reaction to hazards... Probably a good thing to do every time in any case then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Failed in Rathgar – first time.

Totally messed up a right turn into a narrow road and had to jerk the wheel to the left to get into my lane or I would have hit an oncoming car. Grade 3 right at the start: game over. Apart from that I drove pretty well, a few grade 2’s but nothing heavy. I was worried about the corner reverse but I totally killed that. Oh well, time to reapply.

Annoyingly the tester wouldn’t tell me if I did the wrong thing on a few occasions. Maybe they aren’t meant too?

Edit – to clear up that last point, I mean back at the centre not while driving.

Yeah that's a common frustration for drivers that the testers won't discuss where the driver went wrong but its probably for the best that they do this.

Just think of the arguments that could ensue; people would definitely take issue with a lot of decisions and it could even lead to legal challenges and such!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Failed yesterday in Finglas, it was my first time, got 12 grade 2 faults, no grade 3 faults, I'm not too annoyed about it, I actually think I did ok as I've only been driving since Friday after a two month break, next time I'll nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nullandvoid

zynaps wrote: »
    Is it? I often don't indicate when I'm moving round obstacles, unless things are tight and I move out very late. Maybe that was part of my grade 2s for reaction to hazards... Probably a good thing to do every time in any case then?

My driving instructor told me not to worry about indicating when moving around parked cars etc., unless doing it very late. I got 4 Grade 2's for not reacting to hazards though and am wondering if this could have been part of it?!

What other kind of mistakes count as not reacting to Hazards?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

My driving instructor told me not to worry about indicating when moving around parked cars etc., unless doing it very late. I got 4 Grade 2's for not reacting to hazards though and am wondering if this could have been part of it?!

What other kind of mistakes count as not reacting to Hazards?

I got four for over checking my Blind spot! I appears to be a bit of a catch all if they see something they don't like.

Commiserations by the way.

murphm45 wrote: »
    I got four for over checking my Blind spot! I appears to be a bit of a catch all if they see something they don't like.

Commiserations by the way.
    It's a bit of a tough balance isn't it? As my instructor put it, when the tester notices a hazard ahead, they'll be waiting for you to check mirrors and blind spots to infer that you've noticed it as well, even if you don't take any other action (yet). I think I was doing that early enough, but sometimes amn't sure exactly what the appropriate response is, at the appropriate time!

Sometimes it's kind of like those indecisive moments on the street when you and another pedestrian are walking directly towards each other, and you start to move left, then they do the same thing, then you jerk right and they do the same thing, and eventually both smile sheepishly and sort it out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Failed unfortunately in Limerick woodview....idiot of a tester, for example a grade 2 for secondary controls- unless the hazard warning lights operate in some manner unknown to everyone but him...

Would have passed only for a grade 3 at traffic signs, no idea where. Really REALLY annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Failed again for the 3rd time (this time in Rathgar) today.
    Really annoyed at myself, My last 2 tests I failed having 1 grade 3 and about 3 or 4 grade 2's especially when I feel the tester failed me as he thought it was my 1st time, so without the grade 3 would have passed.
    Today, No grade 3's and 9 grade 2's, was so nervous going into it this time, can only see it getting worse. I really need this test so I'm going to have to keep plugging away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Failed in Rathgar >:(

By 3 grade 2's :[

Reaction to hazards I got 2 grade 1's and 3 grade 2's (Honestly don't see why I got them,. there was one hazard in which I managed to stop and wait.)
    Observation on my reverse and turnabout? I looked bloody everywhere >:( And managed to get within an inch of the kerb during the reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

First of all sorry to hear you didnt get it but dont give up!

On the question of hazards I think your desciption here :
    (Honestly don't see why I got them,. there was one hazard in which I managed to stop and wait.)

possibly tells more than you realise.

It is highly unlikely that you drove the entire test route and only encountered ONE hazard. Remember everything is a potential hazard, every junction, every set of traffic lights, every pedestrian, every speed ramp etc etc. So, you noticed one and probably dealt with it correctly but you missed the other 5 you were marked on that that is what you need to improve on.

What the tester is looking for as you are driving is that you are aware of your surroundings and all potential hazards. Now you cant say to him/her 'oh, look I see a child walking on the edge of the footpath' or 'that car appears to be getting ready to pull out' so what you need to do is show it with your actions in driving. This could be a simple as a mirror check, slight adjustment in road position, ease off the accelerator a little etc but you have to do something to show you've noticed the hazard. If you drive on at the same speed, position etc it can only be assumed that you didnt notice the potential hazard and therefore will be marked for it.

Good luck with the next test!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Thanks, and yeah I've already applied again, this time for Tallaght,which I wanted in the first place, but oh well, better luck next time ;D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Failed, this morning first time, Dundalk.

Lashing rain the whole test, nerves all over the place, grazed the kerb when i reversed around the corner and i had 2 for reaction to hazards.

Absolutely gutted but i have re-applied straight away and heres hoping for the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathy B

Churchtown is one of the worst places to do your test, the tester that i got didnt give me a fair test. :mad: I failed mine for driving too slow, nothing else on the sheet only 4 marks for the same thing. i felt confident that i had passed i could not believe i had failed, he could have passed me i did everything else correctly. I even had pretests before the test and he was surprised i didnt get it, he never thought i was driving too slow. I know I was not driving too slow i was observing the speed limits, i was in a built up area, heavy traffic and on that day there was alot of cyclist's. Its just a money racket, more money for the government and the driving school beside the test centre. €75 for another test and a waiting list. Has anyone else had a bad experience in Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cathy B wrote: »
    Churchtown is one of the worst places to do your test, the tester that i got didnt give me a fair test. :mad: I failed mine for driving too slow, nothing else on the sheet only 4 marks for the same thing. i felt confident that i had passed i could not believe i had failed, he could have passed me i did everything else correctly. I even had pretests before the test and he was surprised i didnt get it, he never thought i was driving too slow. I know I was not driving too slow i was observing the speed limits, i was in a built up area, heavy traffic and on that day there was alot of cyclist's. Its just a money racket, more money for the government and the driving school beside the test centre. €75 for another test and a waiting list. Has anyone else had a bad experience in Churchtown.

Post moved.

Sorry to hear you failed your test. There's no conspiracy going on here, by the sounds of things you did extremely well, but just made one mistake multiple times, and it's a very common mistake too. Apply again asap, focus on making adequate progress in future lessons and you'll be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

failed myself 3 times passed on the 4th but drove the same in every test on the 4th test i only got 1 grade 2 for taking off at Roundabout its just a money spinner for the government test doesn't teach us much @ end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

My cousin passed first time in Churchtown and she was still in school.
    In this day and age there should be video recording of your test in a special car provided by test centre. The camera would catch all things you do in car(speed, acceleration etc) and have multiple views inside and outside of car. You could opt out of being recorded if you wanted but opting for the recording would allow you to appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Sorry to hear-I feel the same about the system. Had a similar experierence in a different centre. Just learn from the experience and take what you can from it. Reapply again and resit if you can.

Advertisement