Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsuccessful - post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

tba wrote: »
    They can't tell you you have failed until they are safely out of the car.

LOL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mariaf24 wrote: »
    I failed in Tipp town today, first time Gutted. :( I got 5 grade 2's and a grade 3 on a right turn (don't know where this happened). I think the whole thing is a waste of time and if you fail you should be told to return to the test centre at that point instead of wasting yours and their time, i.e, driving around for a further 30 mins when you have already failed.
    I think i'm disappointed as i had several test lessons and a pre-test and my instructor was very shocked to hear i failed. :(
    Anyone have anything to say about Tipp town? I had been warned not to do the test there.

Would you not rather get your moneys worth? You've paid for the test, so you might as well get the full value out of it, even if you fail early. You say it yourself, you're prepared to pay for a full pretest, but on the actual thing you'd rather they cut it short. pretest test, test pretest, they're supposed to be the same no?
    tba wrote: »
    They can't tell you you have failed until they are safely out of the car.

LOL!!

There's no need for that, you posted here stating your opinion, others are entitled to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I'm really frustrated with whole driving test system. I myself failed 2 months ago and I was sure I had passed. Basically failed due to progress in the estates and reversing round the corner. I was told I could take my time doing the reverse so I did, resulting in a perfect reverse. Apparently the perfect execution & result didn't matter to this examiner (gr2 for progress). He appeared to be hurrying me through my test...the first sign of this was barely letting me finish each pre test question before asking me another.
    My other progress fails were in the estates really really annoyed me.I was driving just under the limit, It was end of school time, the place was crowded with kids, cars, dogs...and really you're going to mark me for not doing the limit? Really? I think it's disgraceful that we are expected to do the same speed in housing estates as on the 50km roads.
    My other grade two's (I only failed by one) included clutch. Unfortunately due to the ridiculous rule of not explaining our faults, I (or my instructor) have no idea why I was marked for this as I am not a coaster.
    How will I ever get better if I'm not told where I went wrong. There is absolutely no reason testers can't take 2 minutes to point out where we went wrong or what we need to work on. And as for the rubbish statement that testers know we're nervous & try to put us at ease....really? I said good afternoon and he said 'whats your address' without even looking at me. And the sighing...well I'd heard stories but never really believed it would happen to me. He sat there sighing impatiently as if he were bored..he probably was but still. And I made the mistake of asking should I continue straight (as there was a very narrow road with big trucks & roadworks ahead) because I wasn't sure. "Did I give you any other instruction? No" he said. A simple 'yes,continue' would have been enough. He added to my stress!
    Anyway just wanted to get this off my chest. I've lost a lot of confidence after that test...simply due to the not knowing where I went wrong (the parts myself & my instructor can't figure out).I did 6 pre tests perfectly.
    I did the test in Tallaght so if anyone's got one coming up just beware of all the roadworks..

Lol seriously..how many car accidents a year do we have? How many deaths, injuries? And they fail people for driving slower rather than faster!! It's a joke

Would you not rather get your moneys worth? You've paid for the test, so you might as well get the full value out of it, even if you fail early. You say it yourself, you're prepared to pay for a full pretest, but on the actual thing you'd rather they cut it short. pretest test, test pretest, they're supposed to be the same no?

There's no need for that, you posted here stating your opinion, others are entitled to do the same.

I agreed with what this person said, i thought it was funny thats why i said LOL. ??

greenie wrote: »
    I'm really frustrated with whole driving test system. I myself failed 2 months ago and I was sure I had passed. Basically failed due to progress in the estates and reversing round the corner. I was told I could take my time doing the reverse so I did, resulting in a perfect reverse. Apparently the perfect execution & result didn't matter to this examiner (gr2 for progress). He appeared to be hurrying me through my test...the first sign of this was barely letting me finish each pre test question before asking me another.
    My other progress fails were in the estates really really annoyed me.I was driving just under the limit, It was end of school time, the place was crowded with kids, cars, dogs...and really you're going to mark me for not doing the limit? Really? I think it's disgraceful that we are expected to do the same speed in housing estates as on the 50km roads.
    My other grade two's (I only failed by one) included clutch. Unfortunately due to the ridiculous rule of not explaining our faults, I (or my instructor) have no idea why I was marked for this as I am not a coaster.
    How will I ever get better if I'm not told where I went wrong. There is absolutely no reason testers can't take 2 minutes to point out where we went wrong or what we need to work on. And as for the rubbish statement that testers know we're nervous & try to put us at ease....really? I said good afternoon and he said 'whats your address' without even looking at me. And the sighing...well I'd heard stories but never really believed it would happen to me. He sat there sighing impatiently as if he were bored..he probably was but still. And I made the mistake of asking should I continue straight (as there was a very narrow road with big trucks & roadworks ahead) because I wasn't sure. "Did I give you any other instruction? No" he said. A simple 'yes,continue' would have been enough. He added to my stress!
    Anyway just wanted to get this off my chest. I've lost a lot of confidence after that test...simply due to the not knowing where I went wrong (the parts myself & my instructor can't figure out).I did 6 pre tests perfectly.
    I did the test in Tallaght so if anyone's got one coming up just beware of all the roadworks..

Lol seriously..how many car accidents a year do we have? How many deaths, injuries? And they fail people for driving slower rather than faster!! It's a joke

I agree with everything you've said here. My tester had the very same attitude. I think it's terrible that we don't know where we went wrong, how are we supposed to improve so? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

[quote=greenie;63108846

Lol seriously..how many car accidents a year do we have? How many deaths, injuries? And they fail people for driving slower rather than faster!! It's a joke[/quote]

A lot of crashes or near misses are actually caused by slow drivers too. You have to keep up progress with moving traffic or you could cause collisions by slowing down for no particular reason, with agitated people attempting to overtake all at once etc etc.

The first time i failed, my tester was not willing to share any details. Just handed me the sheet and told me i need to improve.

When i passed, the tester was explaining where i went wrong on my two grade 2s but i was too happy to head at that point. I do agree that they should spend 5 minutes explaining what went wrong after the test if you fail.

I agreed with what this person said, i thought it was funny thats why i said LOL. ??

Sprry about that, misunderstood your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Except that in the actual test, you get no feedback other than ticks on a sheet, which in many cases feel arbitrary or ambiguous and can exacerbate the learner's lack of confidence.

It would be worth carrying after such a failure if they would only explain the faults. Really, 5 minutes of a quick summary after the test would surely do wonders for the learner and if not improve their driving directly, would help them feel less like they were gambling in some arbitrary and random game - all I wanted after I failed the first test was a brief rundown of my worst mistakes (and indeed, I asked for the same when I passed the second test and was still refused).

zynaps wrote: »
    Except that in the actual test, you get no feedback other than ticks on a sheet, which in many cases feel arbitrary or ambiguous and can exacerbate the learner's lack of confidence.

It would be worth carrying after such a failure if they would only explain the faults. Really, 5 minutes of a quick summary after the test would surely do wonders for the learner and if not improve their driving directly, would help them feel less like they were gambling in some arbitrary and random game - all I wanted after I failed the first test was a brief rundown of my worst mistakes (and indeed, I asked for the same when I passed the second test and was still refused).

I do agree, i think it would be very beneficial for testers to go through marks with you. But still my point above stands, although you don't get a detailed explanation, you do get the marking sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 littlepink

greenie wrote: »

I had a similar experience with my tester greenie- rushed questions, not giving me time to answer, got very impatient when I answered one wrong in the car, sighed loudly, changed mind 3 times when giving me an instruction, had to conceal a smile as we went back into the test centre before telling me I failed, said there were some 'serious problems' but told me to reapply straight away????? To be honest, is it responsible to tell someone you view as having 'serious problems' with their driving to reapply straight away? Oddly though,the things I had 'serious problems' with, my instructor had repeatedly picked out as things I had no difficulty with at all!
    If I had driven badly, I would be the first to say I was rubbish and would have found fault with everything I did- I am very critical of my own driving- but I actually felt at the end of the test that I had driven really well.
    Maybe it is time to have cameras installed so that the test can be reviewed by another person and you can be talked through your faults by someone other than your tester. That way, the driver is sure that the test was fair and they can learn from their mistakes and improve their driving.

• Advertisement

littlepink wrote: »
    If I had driven badly, I would be the first to say I was rubbish and would have found fault with everything I did- I am very critical of my own driving- but I actually felt at the end of the test that I had driven really well.

You see the thing is, a lot of people think they have done well in the test only to find they have failed, because it's the things you're "not" thinking about that incur faults. You may be the most critical person in the world, but if you don't know something is wrong then you can't criticize yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 littlepink

There was nothing during the test that I wasn't 'thinking' about. I didn't put anything aside as something I didn't need to worry about. I just know that there were things I did by the book and still the tester found fault with them. I also know the tester actually told me to stop in front of the entrance to a house, which I know is not the place to stop (this was just after changing the instruction 3 times). I also know the tester told me that I didn't need to return to my side of the road in between overtaking two parked cars which were at least 10 cars lengths apart, eventhough we were coming to the top of a hill on a very narrow road which went into a bend at the top of the hill. Sorry but that to me would be dangerous. My view was obscured- what if a car had come round the corner at high speed?
    The thing is it was just me and the tester in the car and the tester's word is the one that counts though it is entirely possible they could be at fault themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

dont mind him littlepink - the exam is completely outdated an people are at the mercy of a tester on the day - i know people who have 5/6 years no claims bonus and cannot pass a test :confused:

just unlucky that at this moment tests have reverted back to old, where if you had of sat your test when the rush was on when all the comotion was about cutting down the length of waiting lists you would have stood a better chance as minor discrepincies were overlooked - now its back to testing at an unreasonable standard with a draconian test in place

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Hey lads unfortunatley find myself posting here again, 3rd time aswell, failed on thursday, 6grade 2 and one grade red for reaction to hazards,

according to the test sheet a grade three constitutes an absolute disregard for the rules of the road, i couldnt belive he marked me for it, i couldnt remember anywhere it happened, drove the route again to try jog my memory and still nothing, i asked him in the centre where it happened and he just looked down at the sheet, my driving instructor was shocked, i had done so much preperation for it, could not have been anymore prepared, did a pre test the day before and got three grade 2's. Just the way it is, have to give these money grubbing [EMAIL="b@s_rD6s"]b@s_rD6s[/EMAIL] ther 75 euro and what ever amount im going to spend on lessons to keep sharp, as a student, i just dont have that kind of money... cant wait to just finish with the rsa, such a sham organisation to be in control of something like this.

john47832 wrote: »
    dont mind him littlepink - the exam is completely outdated an people are at the mercy of a tester on the day - i know people who have 5/6 years no claims bonus and cannot pass a test :confused:

just unlucky that at this moment tests have reverted back to old, where if you had of sat your test when the rush was on when all the comotion was about cutting down the length of waiting lists you would have stood a better chance as minor discrepincies were overlooked - now its back to testing at an unreasonable standard with a draconian test in place

I agree the test is outdated and only covers the very basic driving skills. But if the above were true the statistics for each centre would reflect that, and they simply don't. There are some test centres with a high pass rate and centres with lower pass rates, but to say that, without any doubt it's purely luck of the draw as to whether or not you pass is simply not true.
    And to say that someone has been driving for 5+ years and still cannot pass a test, which you state yourself is outdated, then i really would wonder why they can't pass. Provided they have taken lessons with a good driving instructor and understand the various elements of the test there should be no real problems, even if it takes a couple of tries.
    I'm not trying to have a go at people, i've been modding, and viewing this thread/forum for long enough to have seen these discussions and how they pan out. And it usually comes down to human nature, in all aspects of life it is very difficult to stand up and say "I made a mistake", however it is all to easy to turn around and say it's someone else's fault. If you can say you made a mistake then you learn from it, if on the other hand you place the blame on someone else, then you learn nothing.

I'm not trying to have a go at people, i've been modding, and viewing this thread/forum for long enough to have seen these discussions and how they pan out. And it usually comes down to human nature, in all aspects of life it is very difficult to stand up and say "I made a mistake", however it is all to easy to turn around and say it's someone else's fault. If you can say you made a mistake then you learn from it, if on the other hand you place the blame on someone else, then you learn nothing.
    Yeah, the best thing to do is to look on the positive side and do as much as you can with the limited feedback (as you say, marks on a sheet are probably better than nothing).

But quite a number of people are failing and feel it was undeserved*, with some going further and saying the whole thing is a money-making swizz by the RSA.

I think almost everyone here feels that requiring the testers to explain the grading results would be a good thing, improving the learner's road knowledge and safety as well as their confidence in the system's fairness and transparency.

Apart from that, maybe it would also be better if the one fee per test system was replaced with a flat fee (i.e. there would be no financial incentive to fail learners) which would also improve the learner's confidence in the system?
    Although then again, there might be a financial incentive to pass people who aren't ready to pass, which would be worse than failing people unnecessarily. :( Thoughts?

* e.g. a friend told me he'd gotten a grade 2 for lack of progress, and the only place it could have been was on Griffith Ave where he was doing at least the speed limit, but being overtaken by the usual Irish speeders (i.e. most drivers here) - how are you supposed to feel ok about that? Either break the law by speeding to keep up with other speeders, or get a grade 2 fault? It's clearly unfair and poor work by the tester if true.

zynaps wrote: »

* e.g. a friend told me he'd gotten a grade 2 for lack of progress, and the only place it could have been was on Griffith Ave where he was doing at least the speed limit, but being overtaken by the usual Irish speeders (i.e. most drivers here) - how are you supposed to feel ok about that? Either break the law by speeding to keep up with other speeders, or get a grade 2 fault? It's clearly unfair and poor work by the tester if true.

Something like that is very hard to pinpoint though, it could have been anything, from slowness setting off at a set of lights, to taking to long to get up to speed. Although some people will drive below the speed limit and incur a lack of progress fault, i'd say it's far more common for the likes of the above to happen, which they may not even realise.
    A simple 5 minute break down of the faults incurred at the end of the test would be hugely beneficial, there's no doubt in that. It's people reactions to those faults is where one problem lies. People are generally under a lot of pressure doing the driving test, and taking criticism would be difficult for some to handle after realising you've failed.
    Here's a question, i wonder if there is a system in other countries where by your result is given in more detail than here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Failed a second time today. I really dont get where I did. I got two grade 3 faults for observation turning right. Even my instructor, a former tester, was shocked at the result.

I really am starting to think its all about money since right after I failed it I was asked did I do lessons, did I know the route and who was my instructor. He seemed very dismissive of my instructor too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Here's a question, i wonder if there is a system in other countries where by your result is given in more detail than here?

In the UK at the end of the test, pass or fail, examiner asks you if you would like the marks explained. You are also asked if you would like to have your driving instructor present - this because of data protection laws.

Also in the UK, the driving instructor is allowed to accompany a person on test. In fact the DSA (their RSA) wanted this to be made compulsory but backed down due to pressure from the driving instructors who wanted it to remain voluntary.

Wish we had that system here.

However, I find the examiners will normally give a brief explanation if the applicant only had a few mistakes. Multiple mistakes, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Failed a second time today. I really dont get where I did. I got two grade 3 faults for observation turning right. Even my instructor, a former tester, was shocked at the result.

I really am starting to think its all about money since right after I failed it I was asked did I do lessons, did I know the route and who was my instructor. He seemed very dismissive of my instructor too

I found that some instructors just massage your ego. It wasn't until I got an instructor (70 yr old woman) who blasted me for all my errors that I finally passed.

Hope you get it next time round.

• Advertisement

Puddleduck wrote: »

Hi,

Try another instructor. And agree with domcq's post. Lot of instructors do not "instruct". They only bring you over the test routes and heap fulsome praise on your driving.

Then are "shocked" when you fail.

If an instructor gets your driving up to test standard you yourself will know why you got marked.

The examiners do not conjure faults out of thin air.

Cheers for the reply J_R much appreciated.
    domcq wrote: »
    I found that some instructors just massage your ego. It wasn't until I got an instructor (70 yr old woman) who blasted me for all my errors that I finally passed.

+1 to that too, i remember my instructor right from the get go would blast me out of it for making errors. It's definitely the best way to learn by a long shot. Some instructors seem to set out to praise all the correct things, and not focus what people are doing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

domcq wrote: »

i have visions here of a 70 year old womans head going through a side window!!

is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Ah no my instructor did show me my errors.Hed even give me things to work on or helpful pointers. Hes also my second instructor. I actually found him much better than my first. Reccommended to me by a boardsie

Just an edit to say that while a lot of boardsies seem to think that testers are fair and even handed that hasnt been my experience. Ill hold my hand up when Ive made mistakes and I did not expect to come out of the test without a fault, but two grade twos? They are for dangerous driving. I really dont understand where I got these faults

There is no other situation nor could there be in Ireland that is as unfair as the driving test. For instance, any other exam or situation is always witnessed by a witness or there is more than one examiner present. So it is the testers word and decision alone. To top it all off, you are then not even told why or where you have failed or made errors.
    Puddleduck, I think you meant grade 3 faults in your previous post? I agree very much with you. I failed last week in Tipperary with one grade 3 fault. When i returned to the testcentre the tester grunted that i was unsuccesful and rudely gave me the sheet. I think i was so surprised and upset that i immediately left without asking him (although i'm sure he would not have informed me where i went wrong)? All i know, according to the marking sheet is that it was to do with right of way on a right hand turn. I have since driven around Tipperary and i have no idea where or how this happened. I understand that it is not human nature to admit mistakes and to blame other people but i am very critical of my own (and others) driving. I went into that driving test very confident, after alot of preparation genuinely believing i could and would pass.I am now about to book another test and fork out another e75. I have definitely lost fate in the system and will definitely not be as confident next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shinnypeople

Failed at Finglas today. Seven grade 2 on position, and four grade 2 on gears. Only four grade 1.

I do think the result depends on the tester. I have three instructors. One from ISM and two from temple school. I also practice a lot. However, I failed the test. Suprisingly, my faults are where the instructors are very positive.

I would not say the examiner is unfair but too strict. Especially the lady tester is more strict.

Best of luck for my next test not to meet that lady tester.

Failed at Finglas today. Seven grade 2 on position, and four grade 2 on gears. Only four grade 1.

I do think the result depends on the tester. I have three instructors. One from ISM and two from temple school. I also practice a lot. However, I failed the test. Suprisingly, my faults are where the instructors are very positive.

I would not say the examiner is unfair but too strict. Especially the lady tester is more strict.

Best of luck for my next test not to meet that lady tester.
    Hi,

Best of luck next time as well.

Why not send a letter to Ballina stating you had X number of lessons with three ADI rregistered instructors (They were registered ??) and all three did not pick up the faults marked by the tester ??

Give their names and RSA-ADI numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 amy-marie

Failed last week in Churchtown with far too many grade two's and one grade three on the reverse. The tester was actually a sound chap, he was very chirpy - whistling on the way to the car - and when I got stuck on a few signs he prompted me. Wasn't expecting that at all to be honest, after all the horror stories you hear about them. My aunt once told the chap testing her that she was a little nervous only to be told "you don't speak to the tester."

I was sure I'd failed after less than a minute driving the car. We were stopped at a stop sign and I was second in line and when the car in front of me was gone I followed him without actually stopping at the line. I was concentrating so much on the fact that I'd already failed that when he told me "at the junction ahead take the next left" I was looking far ahead and not at the turn that was just ahead of me. He told me three times, each time sounding more urgent "at the junction ahead take the next left," and I kept nodding, thinking "I heard you the first time," until he said it the fourth time only he was pointing at the turn we were sailing past. Then he looked at me like I was the biggest gob****e ever and shouted "I told you FOUR TIMES!"

He didn't mark anything down for the first few minutes, making me even more sure that I'd failed and he'd just thought "well there's no point now." Nerves got to me bigtime - I cut out twice and the second time, he had to remind me the reason why the car wasn't moving was because I forgot to put it in gear. :o

We went through one of them roads that is littered with speed bumps and I went through the whole thing in second gear, because I absolutely hate going up to third for 2 seconds then coming back down to second. I know it makes sense, I understand the need to be in second for all bumps, turns, roundabouts etc., and in my head I was thinking "don't be an idiot, just go up to third then come back down," but I just couldn't. Coming down the gears is the worst problem I have, I need to work on that big time.

On the reverse the car felt like it was going up on the kerb but it was only a shore, but I was too panicked to notice. Eventually, after I moved back and forward about five times trying to rectify it, he told me, bless him, that I could just move the car back around and start again, which I did and I got it prefectly except for the fact that there was a car behind me, and I didn't stop, which I think you are supposed to do but he was flashing his lights and motioning at me to continue. I got a grade three for observation there, and I think the tester thought I didn't see the car or something.

Did the turnabout no problem, the hand signals, technical checks etc were fine and he never asked me to do a hillstart.

Overall, I wasn't actually expecting to pass, and I think the 4 month wait for the next test (10 weeks my arse) will help me get better prepared for the next one.

amy-marie wrote: »
    Overall, I wasn't actually expecting to pass, and I think the 4 month wait for the next test (10 weeks my arse) will help me get better prepared for the next one.
    What test centre is that? I failed in Raheny and got my second test there less than a month after booking it. Just gotta make sure you tick the 'accept cancellations' box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

It might depend on the time of year. I ticked the 'accept cancellations' button and was notified after 3 months that my test would be in 4 weeks...which is the normal waiting time for tallaght when you don't accept cancellations! I also ticked 'notify me by email' but got the notification in the post (no email). It's like they just skimmed through my application! Lol if the testers were that observant I would have passed first time!

Advertisement